Courting Miss Greene Ch. 04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

While she pondered the issue, her husband returned to the room. "Hi, honey!" He kissed her forehead. "A letter to your parents?" he guessed, glancing at the table.

Ginny nodded. "I have to let them know we've been delayed, but I keep getting stuck. I really don't want to write anything that will cause them to worry or fret." She sighed again. "But anyway, what did the constable say?"

Ethan sat down on the bed. "Well, he would've preferred to hear the account directly from the victims, but I told him I was a witness at the scene and my testimony should suffice. I really didn't want him to subject Abby and Lizzy to any kind of rigorous questioning. Besides, there wasn't much to tell. From what I heard, our little adventure was like a picnic compared to some previous incidents. Of course, those brigands had been ill-prepared since they're used to roadside ambushes at night. I'll spare you the details, but I guess I never fully appreciated why mother has always been loathe to travel after sundown."

Ginny almost asked Ethan to share the details anyway, but she decided against it, guessing she was probably better off not knowing. "Isn't the constable doing anything to catch these men?" she asked instead.

"Well, he tries," answered Ethan, "but apparently he lacks the manpower to comb the forest without leaving the town defenseless." He gave her a sheepish, little smile.

Ginny's eyes widened. "Did he ask for volunteers?"

"Just to play watchman," he answered, "but I told him I'd have to discuss it with my wife first."

"Oh, you can go if you want to," replied Ginny. "Just as long as you realize I'll be coming too in that case, make no mistake about that!" She pointed her quill at him to emphasize her point.

Ethan wiped the grin off his face. "I'm sure the constable will rest much assured with you on the team," he said in a solemn tone.

Ginny blinked at her husband, wondering whether or not he was speaking in jest. Surely he knew better than to joke about a woman doing a man's job. Besides, everybody had been quite impressed with her part in the skirmish and they had agreed things might not have ended as well if it had not been for her.

Ethan chuckled to himself. His wife was so easy to tease! He continued before she could reply. "The constable's main objective is to get the aid of the King's Regiment in Northfair," he said, "but apparently they're reluctant to aid a town that openly supports the Liberals, which is exactly the sort of thing why people are lacking Royalist sentiments in the first place."

Ginny raised her eyebrows. "So it's like vicious cycle?" she asked.

"Indeed," he answered. "Father says Uncle Albert became a Royalist when he married Aunt Charlotte because her family is somehow allied with the Crown. We're hoping he could use some of his connections to finally get things done around here."

"It would be great if he could," replied Ginny, "although I wish it wouldn't be necessary. The King's men have a duty to protect the people. We shouldn't have to beg them for it!"

Ethan smiled. "I just love your sense of justice, honey." He pulled his wife onto his lap and gave her a slow kiss.

All of a sudden Ginny pulled away. "Wait a minute, is Robert also a Royalist?" she asked, looking alarmed.

"I'd assume so, for his family's sake," answered Ethan, "but I don't think he really cares much about politics."

"Still, it would be best if my father doesn't find out," she warned. "I'm sure he could get over the age difference and the fact that Lizzy will be living in Northfair, but he flew into a terrible rage the last time someone mentioned Royalists to him, and then mother had to cool him down with a bucket of water."

Ethan almost chuckled when he pictured the scene in his head, but he did not want to laugh at anything that could threaten his cousin's happiness. "That sounds bad," he said. "I'll warn everybody to avoid the subject, but you know we can't keep it a secret forever."

"Well, at least until the wedding," replied Ginny. "I don't think Lizzy would dare to marry Robert without father's blessing. And if she did, it would certainly spoil her big day. She's been through so much already!"

"I'm sure it'll turn out alright," said Ethan. He held Ginny in a tight embrace, thinking back on what they had gone through before they got together.

Ginny returned her husband's kiss while he lowered her onto the bed. She was a little surprised when the kiss became more passionate and Ethan started tugging at her clothes. His mother was expecting them for dinner in an hour. Ginny knew her husband could be fast if he needed to be, but she still felt a bit embarrassed to realize she would be showing up with a flushed face for the second time that day.

~*~

Abby paced around to the room to stretch her legs. She did not see any reason for staying in bed all day: she was injured, not sick. The doctor was pleased with the care she had received so far. He had given her a few stitches and recommended peace and quiet in order to expedite the healing process. Abby knew Thomas was anxious to talk to her, but everybody kept him away from her because they feared he would only aggravate her. Abby thought it was a peculiar situation since they all seemed so eager for her to get together with him.

She stopped in her tracks when she heard a tapping sound on the glass.

"Abby...!" a hushed voice called out.

More tapping.

"Abby...!"

The girl frowned when she spotted the young man waving at her from the other side of her window. She should have been surprised, but after what happened the previous morning she had actually expected him to come to her sooner. Abby opened the window and sighed. "Come on in then, before you break your neck!"

Thomas beamed at her. "I knew you cared!" He scrambled over the window sill and rolled onto the wooden plank floor.

Abby stuck her head out the window. Her room was on the third story of the inn and she got vertigo from peering down the wall. "Don't tell me you climbed your way up here!" she exclaimed.

Thomas got to his feet and straightened his clothes. "Those bricks could use a new layer of mortar," he replied, flexing his hands.

She stared at him in disbelief. "Oh, for heaven's sake--!"

"Abby?" another voice called out.

She glanced out the window again. "Robert!"

"You might want to close your window. I'm afraid Thomas is on the loose!" warned Robert, standing outside in the yard.

"Oh, right! Thanks!" Abby shut the window and turned back to Thomas. He looked awfully pleased about something. "What are you grinning about?" she demanded.

"You didn't tell Robert I was here," he answered.

"So?"

Thomas moved closer. "You didn't want him to come and get me."

Abby backed away. "Well, I..." She tried to shrug while her mind raced to find an excuse.

He pinned her to the wall and gave her a wide grin. "You want me to stay."

Abby could feel his warm breath on her face. "Thomas Clark!" She used her good arm to push him away. "Mind your distance!"

He took a step back. "I'll do whatever you want me to."

She raised her eyebrows, surprised to find the young man so obedient. "You would?"

"Of course! You saved my life!" He got down on his knees. "So it's yours now."

Abby's mouth fell open. "What's that supposed to mean?"

Thomas took off his shirt. "I'm your slave, Abby!"

"Oh, right!" Abby palmed her face. "And is there any particular reason why you're flashing your chest at me?" she asked, peeking at him from the corner of her eye.

"I thought you'd like that," he answered. "I could take off my pants if you prefer." He reached for his belt.

"Thomas, no!" cried Abby. She glanced at the door and lowered her voice. "I'm really not in the mood for that! My shoulder still hurts a lot, even if I don't whine about it!"

"You're a real trooper, Abby!" he exclaimed, smiling at her in admiration. "I could never repay you for everything you're going through. Please, tell me what you want from me. I'd do anything for you!"

Abby blinked at him. For a moment she considered ordering him to leave her alone. Then again, she had to admit Thomas was a pretty useful guy. Abby decided to sort out the practical details of the little arrangement he was offering. She sat down on her bed and motioned Thomas to join her. "How long is this slave-thing supposed to last anyway?" she asked him.

"'Til death do us part," he answered with a solemn face.

"Oh?" Abby could not imagine how that was supposed to work out. "You'd have to move to Windfarn," she said.

"My place is at your side," he replied.

"People would ask questions if we're together all the time."

"We could get married," he suggested.

Abby gasped. "Thomas Clark! Don't even go there!" she exclaimed. "I'd hate to turn you down... again!"

His face broke into a smile. "Then don't."

"I'm telling you: you're treading on thin ice!" she warned, waving a finger at him. "Oh, don't give me those puppy eyes! And not that sorry pout either! It's really not becoming of a man."

Thomas straightened his face. "What is becoming of a man, Abby?" he asked.

"I don't know," she answered. "Couldn't you be more like Robert?"

"Oww...!" Thomas slapped his forehead and fell backwards onto the mattress.

"Well, at least try to make yourself useful," she continued when he did not answer. "You have all these crazy skills, but you only use them to your own benefit. I think that's selfish and immature. Your family's worried about you. They think you need a permanent babysitter!"

Thomas sighed. She must have been talking to Aunt Isabell. "What can I do, Abby?" he asked. "My skills would make me a great rogue or an assassin. I'm sure that's not what you want."

Abby blinked at him. That much was true. She leaned over him and lowered her voice. "Thomas? Have you ever gotten in trouble with the law?"

Thomas thought for a moment. "Well, I almost ended in jail once... for stealing the Twin Blood Rubies of Indinia when they came to Northfair on a traveling exhibition."

"Then you really are a thief!" exclaimed Abby.

"No, I didn't actually steal them. I just thought they'd make a nice pair of eyes for the Terrible Lizard in the other room, who seemed to be quite blind without them afterward," he explained. "It's a shame, really. The exhibit was so much more exciting with the giant monster staring down at the visitors like that!" He bared his teeth and flexed his fingers in front of his eyes to give the girl an impression.

Abby could not suppress a chuckle. "Thomas Clark! You really are something!" She poked him in the ribs. "But how did they know it was you?"

"They asked me and I confessed," he answered. "A lucky guess, I suppose."

"Ha! An educated guess would be more like it!" reckoned Abby.

"I do have a bit of a reputation," admitted Thomas.

"Oh, I'm sure you do," agreed Abby. She paused for a moment. "Although I don't think you're really half as bad as you'd like people to think you are," she remarked, sounding very smart.

Thomas grinned at her. "Neither are you," he retorted.

Abby frowned, wondering what he meant by that. Judging from the naughty twinkle in his eyes, she guessed he must be thinking about those nights they had shared back in Alder Hill. The memories made her blush, although she did not feel ashamed in front of him. "I think you know me, the real me, better than anyone else," she said in soft voice.

Thomas was taken by surprise by her confession. "Really?"

The girl nodded. "I feel like I've built this huge wall all around me and never really let anyone get close," she explained. "Of course only a thief could break in and steal my heart."

Thomas jolted upright. "What did you say?"

Abby cringed when she realized her mistake. She covered her mouth and turned away her head. "Nothing! Forget it!" she cried.

"But--!"

"That's an order!" she insisted. "Please leave! Now!"

Thomas remembered he was supposed to be her slave. "Yes, ma'am!" he replied, scrambling to his feet. He grabbed his shirt and went back to the window.

"No, don't be so reckless," said Abby. "Take the door."

"Yes, ma'am," repeated Thomas, turning on his heel. He kept his face from breaking into a broad smile until he had closed the door behind him. His heart soared while Abby's words echoed in his mind. There was no way he could have misread the implication!

Thomas froze when he turned around. Robert and Lizzy stood embracing each other down the hallway, gaping at him in disbelief. Lizzy's hand flew to her mouth while she stared at him with wide eyes. Robert pointed a finger at him, unable to speak. For a moment Thomas did not understand why. Then he realized he had just left Abby's room without his shirt on. Without explaining himself, he put his shirt back on and made his way downstairs with a naughty grin, leaving the engaged couple in utter shock.

~*~

Robert and Lizzy were much relieved when Abby corroborated Thomas' account of what did or did not happen inside her room that afternoon. When Mrs. Clark found out, she still insisted Abigale should not be left unchaperoned for propriety's sake. Lizzy took up the task while Robert composed a letter to his father. He needed to convince his father to send in the King's troops while, at the same time, prevent the old man from worrying too much about their personal encounter with the outlaws. It was a fine balance, but Robert believed he had managed to achieve it.

The next day, Thomas was allowed to visit Abby. He wished to spend some time alone with the girl, but his aunt would have none of it. The woman remained sitting by the window with some needlework while the young people entertained themselves by playing chess. It was an ideal pastime for Abby because there was not much else she could do with only one arm.

She found Thomas to be a bold and clever opponent, but he never seemed to plan more than three moves ahead. After winning the first game, Abby accused him of not trying hard enough. Thomas suggested he was not well suited for playing chess, being a man of action as opposed to deliberation. Abby was quick to accept that idea. She lowered her guard and lost the second game as a result. She blamed it on herself and did not think much of it until she lost the third game as well.

Thomas felt guilty when he noted the pensive frown on the girl's face. He confessed to having enjoyed the private tutelage of a master, but he had promised not to use his special strategies until his skill was properly challenged. Abby was relieved to hear that since she was one of the best chess players in Windfarn, having learned the game from the local champion who happened to be her father. Thomas was prompted to remark he looked forward to meeting Mr. Greene. The girl blushed, wondering whether he was just referring to their common interest in chess or something else as well.

Thomas was aware of this interpretation and he felt encouraged when Abby's lips curled into a little smile. He fixed his gaze on the girl, hoping to make eye contact, but she pretended to be busy rearranging the pieces on the board. The silence broke when Mrs. Clark cleared her throat. In a reflex, Thomas turned to look at his aunt. From the corner of his eye he saw Abby glance up at him, but the moment he turned back his head the girl directed her gaze at the board again and suggested they would play another game. Thomas was quick to oblige, even though Abby's elusiveness frustrated him.

The following days were spent in much the same manner. When they were joined by Ginny or Lizzy, Thomas would read from one of the books the girls had brought along from Windfarn. He regularly caused his listeners to cry with laughter by doing voices, changing dialogues or even endings. When Robert or Ethan joined the party, they would usually play a game of cards.

During one of these card games Abby observed Thomas could be quite amiable when he was not doing anything inappropriate. She learned to appreciate his smile, which had annoyed her so much at first. Now she thought he looked rather handsome when he smiled. He also looked rather handsome when he did not smile. Abby scolded herself. She had always vowed she would not fall for a man because of his looks. Yet she had been instantly attracted to his body and now she could not take her eyes off of his face.

Abby did not want to be that shallow. Even though she realized her instincts were getting the upper hand, her mind still demanded an explanation of why she would choose to be with Thomas. He had already told her he loved her and he would stay by her side... until death would part them. Abby's heart pounded when she recalled the way he had spoken the words. Even though she had inwardly scoffed at him at the time, in hindsight it seemed as good a commitment as any. Abby wondered whether it was a done deal. Thomas had not actually posed her a question she could answer with "yes" or "no." She had ended the conversation by ordering him out of the room, which could be viewed as a way of accepting his offer. Abby was not sure whether to laugh or cry when she became aware of the ridiculous situation they were in.

All of a sudden Thomas cried out, startling Abby out of her reverie. The young man pouted, having lost the game to his brother. He turned to Abby and smiled when he realized the girl had been staring at him the entire time, even though he could not fathom why she was blushing like that. Abby did not see it fit to tell Thomas in front of the others, but she had just concluded that, as far as she was concerned, they were married already.

~*~

"Oh, I do hope we get to Windfarn before all the leaves fall off!" cried Lizzy, gazing out the window of the carriage.

"Well, I don't," said Abby. "I think they make the road a lot less bumpy." The wound on her shoulder was still sore, even though she minimized the changes in pressure by leaning on Thomas' arm.

"It's a shame, really," continued Lizzy. "I always thought Windfarn looked its best in autumn colors." The girl glanced up at her fiancé, who was sitting next to her. "I really wanted your first impression to be a good one," she told him.

Robert gave her a kind smile. "Didn't you know, baby? I've been to Windfarn before."

"When Ethan was born, right?" asked Thomas.

"Indeed," confirmed Robert with a sheepish smile, realizing none of his travel companions would have been around for several years afterward.

Abby could not let the opportunity pass by. "How old were you then, Robert?" she asked in an off-hand manner.

Robert knew what she was getting at. "I'm nine years older than Ethan," he answered.

"Oh, really?" Abby paused for a few seconds. Then she sighed in relief and smiled. "In that case you're not really twice Lizzy's age."

Robert laughed. "What made you think that?"

Abby gave him an apologetic smile and shook her head.

Lizzy giggled and rubbed the crease between his eyebrows with her fingertip. "You frown too much!" she teased.

"I worry too much," sighed Robert, casting an accusing glance at his younger brother.

Thomas shrugged. "I don't worry at all," he said.

Abby was about to scoff at Thomas' remark when she peered at his face and realized he may have been younger than she had initially thought as well. "How much do you and Robert differ in age?" she asked.

"Fourteen years," answered Thomas.

Abby blinked at him. "Then you're only one year older than me," she said.

He grinned at her. "Why the frown? You don't like men your own age?"

"I don't like immature boys," answered Abby.

Lizzy giggled. "But he kisses well enough, doesn't he?" she blurted out.

Abby stared at the floor and blushed. "I guess so," she replied.

"You guess so?" Thomas could not hide the disappointment in his voice. "Perhaps it's been too long." He brought his face closer down to hers. "We could freshen up your memory," he suggested in a low voice.