Courting Miss Greene Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well, if you insist." Thomas took off his pants and climbed into bed with her.

Abby turned to face the wall, warming her back against Thomas' chest and placing her feet along his legs. Her heart pounded when he wrapped his arm around her, resting his hand on her belly.

"Is this alright?" he asked her. "I thought anything higher or lower would be even more inappropriate."

"It's alright," answered Abby, pleased to find him so considerate. She put her hand on his to emphasize her point, but she could not help wondering what he would do once she was asleep. "Thomas?" she asked in a small voice. "I can trust you, right?"

To his own surprise, Thomas felt hurt by the question. "You can," he assured her. Abby did not speak again, but from the way she nestled in his arms Thomas deduced she felt comforted. He lay curled around her like a protective barrier and vowed to himself he would keep her safe from anything that might harm her. After spending a while listening to the girl's labored breathing, sleep overtook him as well.

~*~

"Thomas?" a soft voice whispered. "It's time to get up."

Thomas blinked against the sunlight streaming into the little room. He looked down to find Abby gazing up at him with a little smile on her face. "Just a little longer," he murmured, tightening his arms around her, and closed his eyes again.

Abby's laugh was gentle. "Come on," she said. "Ol' Granny already came to check on us half an hour ago."

Thomas' eyes shot wide open. "Did she say anything?" he asked, throwing a startled glance at the door. "When she saw me in bed with you?"

"Not really," answered Abby. "She was just wondering whether you liked your eggs scrambled or not."

"Ah!" Thomas smiled with relief and dropped his head back onto the pillow.

Abby turned around to face him and shook him by the shoulder. "Hey! Don't go back to sleep," she said. "I thought you were always such an early bird."

"I am," replied Thomas, rubbing his eyes, "when I don't have to spend half the night wide awake, fighting certain... urges."

"Oh?" Abby gave him a curious look. "And did you win the battle?" she asked.

"I daresay I did," answered Thomas, "but don't ask me how."

The girl beamed at him. "I'm really proud of you, Thomas," she told him.

"You are?"

"Yes," she answered, "a lesser man would surely have taken advantage of me. I didn't promise you anything and yet you remained a gentleman all night long... even without your pants on."

Thomas' heart missed a beat. "I didn't know this was another test," he said.

"It wasn't," said Abby, "and I feel no need for any more tests."

"You don't?"

"No," confirmed Abby with a little smile, "but that doesn't mean there won't be any rewards." She moved to lean over Thomas and slowly lowered her face.

"Ah!" Thomas closed his eyes and puckered his lips, but he only felt Abby's hair tickling his face while her weight shifted on the bed. Disappointed, he opened his eyes again. "What a tease!" he exclaimed, watching her climb over him.

Abby threw him a smile. "I thought you liked being teased," she said, glancing over her shoulder while she put on her slippers.

Thomas grinned. "I see! Well, next time you're going to whip me with your hair, try to do it harder," he suggested.

"I'll remember that," said Abby. She went to the table by the door and searched through the drawers until she found a hairbrush. She inspected it with a critical eye and plucked a few times at the bristles before she sat down on the chair.

Thomas rolled onto his side and leaned on his elbow while he stared at the girl, transfixed by the way she turned her tangled tresses into smooth strands. "You're so beautiful," he said with a sigh.

Abby turned away from the little mirror on the table. Her eyes widened when she looked at Thomas. "So are you," she replied, covering her grin with the brush while her face turned various shades of red.

The young man gasped when he found himself naked down to his thighs. "Oops, sorry!" He let out a nervous chuckle and grabbed the sheets. "Should I cover myself?"

"Well, it doesn't matter anymore now, does it?" asked Abby in return, unable to take her eyes off of the peculiar organ that hung down between his legs. She coughed a few times in her fist, disguising the fact she was out of breath. She forced herself to observe the rest of his body: his broad shoulders, his smooth chest, his narrow hips... Abby shook her head at herself. This was not working at all!

Thomas noted the alarm on the girl's face and sat upright on his knees. "Hey, do you want to see me do a trick?" he asked, looking for a way to relieve some of the tension.

"What trick?" she asked.

The young man smirked. "Just watch!" He reached down to touch himself when the door flew open. Thomas froze, staring in shock at the old woman in the doorway. "This is not what it looks like!" he cried.

Ol' Granny gave him a stern look. "Indeed," she said. "Playtime is after breakfast."

~*~

"I never thought I'd see you doing the dishes," remarked Abby.

"No? Well, I've never actually done any dishes before in my life," admitted Thomas, standing behind the sink, "but I suppose there's a first time for everything." He gave her an apologetic smile. "And it's the least I could do," he added, "in return for Ol' Granny's hospitality."

"Such a thoughtful boy, and none too proud," the old woman said, sitting in her rocking chair. She leaned towards Abby and lowered her voice. "He's one to keep!" Without waiting for the girl's reply, she straightened her back and returned to her knitting. "I think I'll make him a warm vest, since winter's coming."

"I'm sure Thomas already has everything he needs," said Abby, helping the old woman with her yarn, "considering how cold it gets in Northfair. The whole lake freezes over practically every year, or so I've heard."

"It does," confirmed Thomas, "the thickness of the ice varies, but most years you can skate on it."

"If I could skate," the girl replied, "which I can't."

"I'll teach you!" offered Thomas.

"Thanks," said Abby, "but I feel no need to break my neck."

Thomas pouted. "As if I'd let you. I thought you trusted me now."

"I do trust you," the girl assured him, "but eventually I'd have to do it on my own, wouldn't I?"

The young man shrugged. "Says who? You could hold on to me the entire time. Think of it as... dancing!"

Abby sighed. "Here we go again. Next thing I know you're going to compare skating to making love."

"No, I've never made love on ice," said Thomas, "and I don't find the idea particularly appealing."

"That's a surprise!" exclaimed Abby.

"Unless it's with you of course," added Thomas.

"Oh?"

"You'd have to be on top," he continued, pondering the issue, "because it would be rude to have the girl lie down on such an uncomfortable surface."

"How considerate!" exclaimed Ol' Granny. "And then you'd learn how to ride a man properly," she told Abby.

"Granny!" the girl cried in shock.

"Although my advice would be to get some practice beforehand," the old woman added.

"I know the sort of advice you give," replied Abby through clenched teeth.

"Not that you ever listen to your poor old granny," the old woman remarked without looking up. "You've always been a particularly stubborn girl."

"In what way?" asked Thomas, since Abby kept biting her tongue.

"Why, the girl's like a fortress," explained Ol' Granny. "A man would break his lance trying to get in."

"That man would be a fool," said Thomas, "anyone with half a brain would work on opening the gate first... with a bit of diplomacy... and perhaps some oil."

Abby cocked an eyebrow at him. "At least that half of your brain is functioning," she remarked in a cool voice, "and I would have kept doubting the other half if you hadn't beaten me at chess."

"He beat you at chess?" asked Ol' Granny in surprise.

"Indeed, he did," said Abby, "and more than once."

"Doesn't that fulfill the promise you made to your father?" the old woman asked in a hushed voice, causing the girl's eyes to widen in alarm when she remembered.

"What promise was that?" asked Thomas.

"Oh, she vowed never to marry a man who couldn't beat her at chess," Ol' Granny explained.

"I was only a child then," said Abby. "I'm truly shocked you would remember such a thing."

"You are? I thought it explained a lot about you," said Ol' Granny. "You set such a high standard for men it made me wonder who could ever live up to your expectations. But I suppose Tommy here isn't doing so bad."

"Thomas is completely off the scale," agreed Abby.

"Ah! And that's how I win?" he asked.

"Apparently," the girl confirmed.

"And a good thing it is too," said Ol' Granny. "What would have become of you if you hadn't met Tommy?"

Abby lifted her chin. "A woman doesn't need a man to be happy," she answered.

"Hoo-hooo!" the old woman cackled. "And you would've spent your entire life proving that theory?"

"No, I was perfectly willing to give up my theory," said Abby, "by testing it out in an isolated environment." She shot an angry glance at Thomas' back while he continued doing the dishes. "But things didn't turn out the way I intended."

"Funny how life has a way of doing that," remarked Ol' Granny.

"Things are turning out better than I intended," said Thomas. "I mean, better than I hoped."

Abby did not miss his mistake. "What exactly did you intend, Thomas?" she asked.

"Erm, what could I have?" he asked in return. "You invited me into your bed. I only complied."

The girl blinked at him. "Well, that's true," she agreed.

"I'm glad," said Ol' Granny, "because a man who doesn't comply--"

"Deserves to be kicked halfway across the country," finished Abby, making the old woman nod in agreement.

"I'm not too worried about that," said Thomas. "I'm Abby's slave after all. I'm bound to do her every bidding... fulfill her every need!"

"Oh, my..." Ol' Granny turned to Abby. "I'd give you some more of my advice, but I know you wouldn't welcome it."

"Don't worry, Granny," said Thomas, "she'll follow it eventually."

"Because you'd see to that," guessed Abby.

"Personally," he confirmed with a grin.

Abby wondered why the kitchen had fallen silent until she realized she was grinning back at Thomas. She straightened her face and cleared her throat, desperately thinking of something to say. "Thomas, could you check if our clothes are dry yet?" she asked.

For a moment he only blinked at her, surprised by the sudden change of subject. "Erm, of course," he answered. "Right away!"

Ol' Granny waited until Thomas had left the kitchen before turning to Abby. "I don't suppose you're considering staying over for another night," she said.

"Not really," the girl confirmed. "The whole town would know. I mean, one night is bad enough, but two...!"

"That's no reason not to do it. Not with your reputation," the old woman argued. "I'm sure people would be pleased to know some boy finally got to you."

"I don't need to please other people," retorted Abby.

"Not even Tommy?" asked Ol' Granny.

Abby bit her lip to prevent it from curling into pout.

Ol' Granny gave her a stern look. "Do you love him, Abby-dear?" she asked.

The girl's heart pounded while she covered her mouth, unwilling to answer the question. "Oh, heaven help me, but I do!" she cried at last. "I just don't know why." She took a deep breath and tried not to break down in tears.

"Why?" The old woman leaned back in her chair and let out a deep sigh. "Since when is love a question of reason? Honestly, child. If you won't follow my advice, at least follow your heart."

Abby stifled a sob. "But how do I do that?" she asked.

Ol' Granny shook her head. "Stop thinking so much, and start feeling," she suggested.

"I don't know what will happen when I stop thinking," said Abby in a small voice.

"Nobody knows," replied Ol' Granny. "That's the beauty of it. It's like knitting. Would you have guessed I was making a vest if I hadn't told you so?"

"You only thought about it just now," the girl answered. "It could still become anything at this point."

"Ah, well said!" exclaimed Ol' Granny. "It's the same with you and Tommy. You two youngsters still have your whole life ahead of you, an entire future of unknown possibilities."

"I can picture a future with Thomas," said Abby.

Ol' Granny smiled. "There's a good girl."

"I just don't see us walking down the aisle yet," continued Abby, "or having children."

The old woman blinked at her. "Well, there's no rush," she said, "Tommy is rather young to be a father. You know there are ways to prevent such things, don't you?"

Abby opened her mouth to speak when she was startled by a loud clattering. She turned to the door to find Thomas scrambling on the floor amidst a pile of clothes.

"Ha! Who would've guessed they're actually dry already!" he exclaimed.

"Thomas...!" cried Abby. "How long have you been listening at the door?"

"Ho, what? I've been dropping no eaves," he answered with a look of indignation.

"No, you wouldn't do that," said Abby, looking very unconvinced.

"Nooo," confirmed Thomas, shaking his head.

"Because that would've been very childish," the girl continued, "and immature."

The young man swallowed hard while his face turned red. "Yeah..."

"And you know I don't like that."

Thomas nodded, studying the stone tiles on the kitchen floor. "Yeah," he repeated.

"Poor boy," said Ol' Granny. "You shouldn't be so hard on him."

"No," agreed Abby, "this is me being gentle. Hard is me poking his eyes out with his own rapier, or kicking him when he's already down."

Thomas cringed. "I'm grateful for your mercy, Abby," he said, "even if I don't deserve it."

The girl's lips curled into a little smile. "Well, nobody's perfect," she said, "and in the end your merits outweigh your faults."

Thomas gasped for breath. "They do?" he asked in surprise.

"I just said so," confirmed Abby, "but of course that's only just my humble opinion."

"Oh, Abby! Your opinion is the only one that matters to me!" cried Thomas, throwing himself at her feet. "Yours and Granny's of course," he added with a quick glance at their hostess.

"Good heavens! Don't mind little, old me," the old woman said. "I could hardly be offended by a young man's devotion to his lady."

"And how devoted I am!" exclaimed Thomas, hugging the girl's legs. "Oh, Abby! My lady! My queen! My goddess!"

Abby raised her eyebrows. "That's going a bit far," she muttered.

Thomas shook his head. "No, it's not," he said. "My life is yours to do with as you will! When I go wrong, it's your forgiveness I seek. You can make me or break me. What is left for me but to worship you?" He rested his chin on her knees, looking up at her with pleading eyes.

Abby gaped at him, at a loss for words. Finally she closed her mouth and patted him on the head. "I think I might take you home with me," she said.

~*~

Thomas took a deep breath and let out a long sigh. "Ah, what a beautiful day it is!" He spread his arms and spun around in circles, gazing at the clear sky above the treetops.

Abby quickened her pace to keep up with him. "You're going to fall if you don't look where you're going," she warned.

Thomas turned his gaze to the forest floor and dropped himself onto a pile of leaves. "A bed!" he cried.

"How reckless!" exclaimed Abby. "There could have been a log somewhere under there, or a rock! You could've broken your neck!"

"But I didn't," replied Thomas. "Won't you join me, my love?" He stretched out his arm towards her.

The girl folded her arms across her chest and lifted her chin. "I don't think so," she answered. "A hedgehog could be living in there for all I know. Besides, I prefer my own bed."

"Oooh!" Thomas scrambled to his feet and snaked an arm around her waist. "And is there any way I might join you in your bed?" he asked in a low voice, pulling her close.

Abby felt giddy when she met his eyes. "Hm, maybe," she answered, untangling herself from his embrace.

"Maybe?" echoed Thomas. "Weren't you saying something about taking me home with you?" He gave her a disappointed pout.

"I was thinking about it," the girl confirmed.

"And?"

"I'm still thinking about it."

"Ow!"

"There's my parents to consider," she explained.

"Yes, of course," agreed Thomas. "But you have a window, don't you? I could sneak into your room... You know, the usual way."

Abby frowned at him. "Except that it's Lizzy's room too," she said.

Thomas gaped at her for a moment, shocked to have missed such a vital bit of information. "Can't you divide it somehow?" he asked. "A screen perhaps? Or a curtain?"

"Thomas," said Abby in a stern tone, "we're not going to fool around with Lizzy in the room, partitioned or not!"

"Yes, that would be a turn-off," he agreed, "considering she's marrying Robert."

"Oh? And if she wasn't marrying him?" asked Abby.

Thomas gave her a sheepish smile. "Then it would still be a turn-off," he answered.

"Hm, I wonder why I don't believe you," said Abby.

"Let's put it this way. You wouldn't be turned on by the idea of having Robert watch, would you?" asked Thomas.

A grin appeared on Abby's face. "What if I said 'yes'?" she asked.

Thomas gasped and froze, clutching his heart. "No!" he cried and dropped himself onto the ground, seemingly unconscious.

"How dramatic!" exclaimed Abby. She laughed and waited for Thomas to get up again. "Oh, come on!" she said when he did not move. "You're not fooling me for one second." Abby folded her arms across her chest and peered down at him, expecting to see his chest rise or fall. "Thomas?" she asked, failing to catch the slightest movement. Abby gasped and fell down on her knees. "Thomas!" she cried and shook him by the shoulders.

At last Thomas could no longer stop himself. He opened his eyes and laughed. "One second!" he cried. "One second!"

"Oh, you...!" Abby tried to be angry with Thomas, but she could not stop herself from laughing. She allowed him to hug her and rested her head on his chest. "That really wasn't funny though," she said, playing with the buttons on his jacket.

"Then why did you laugh?" asked Thomas.

"Because I was relieved," answered Abby. "Don't you know it's cruel to pretend you're dead when you know perfectly well how I fear for your safety?"

"Ah, forgive me, my love," said Thomas. "It's my way of telling you to stop worrying so much."

"How can I stop worrying when you're always being so reckless?" the girl asked.

"I'm not reckless," the young man answered. "I take calculated risks."

"The difference is negligible," she replied.

"It's a world of difference," he protested, "but of course I shouldn't expect a girl to understand."

Abby gasped. "What did you just say?" she demanded.

Thomas laughed and hugged her tight. "A jest, my love!"

"Oh, har har!" She lowered her voice. "You're a sexist as well as a pervert!"

"Ho, what?" Thomas jolted upright, lifting Abby along with him.

"You heard me," the girl answered, scrambling to her feet.

Thomas smirked. "I'll show you just how much of a pervert I am!" A dangerous gleam appeared in his eyes, alarming the girl.

"Ah!" she screamed and dashed off, alternately shrieking and giggling.

Thomas chased her. "Watch out, little girl," he warned. "The big bad wolf is coming to get you!"

"Oh, no!" Abby clutched her skirts and tried to run faster. She did not dare to look over her shoulder for fear it would slow her down. After a while she realized she could not hear anything apart from her own breathing and the rustling of the leaves as she darted through the trees. She stopped in her tracks and turned around while she caught her breath.