Brains & Brawn

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I told you my name is Professor Sanchez, that this is first year Spanish and that I was very happy to meet you all. Spanish is one of the romance languages and I consider it one of the most beautiful."

Once again the professor gave a quick outline of the course. There would be a midterm and a final. But in addition there would be quizzes, and homework assignments that would be graded. There was also going to be an oral exam at the end of the semester. Growing up in Arizona, you come in contact with the Spanish language almost every day. John had no illusion that this was going to be easy, but he felt sure he could handle it.

Before he realized it, the class was over and they all left the room. John's next class, English Comp, was in the next building, so he headed down the stairs and out into the hot mid-day sun. He crossed the open area and entered the other building. His class was located on the second floor. He took a seat in the back and was again pleasantly surprised when a couple of minutes later, the tall well-built blonde once again entered the room. This time seeing him, she smiled and sat down next to him.

"I have a feeling that we are going to be seeing a lot of each other this semester. My name is Katie," and she stuck out her hand.

"I'm John, nice to meet you; I think you're right."

Her hand seemed to surround his and he was surprised at the firmness of her grip.

"You from Arizona?"

"Yes," he replied, "Glendale. You?"

"Peoria; we're neighbors."

Just then, the classroom door slammed shut and the room became deathly silent. There was clicking of heels on the vinyl floor as a petite woman in her forties with dark hair and glasses marched to the front of the room.

"My name is Ms. Barron and this is English Composition 101. If you're not supposed to be here, I suggest you leave now."

John looked over at Katie, raised his eyebrows and muttered, "Uh oh."

"Today, you are going to write a paper on what you did over the summer. I want you to give me your best work, as this paper will determine if you belong in this class or even in college for that matter."

She handed a stack of small blue booklets to each person in the front row of seats.

"Take one, pass the rest back. You may start when you have a booklet."

To John, it seemed like a childish exercise, but he did his best, even though English was not one of his favorite subjects. He looked over at Katie; she was still hard at work.

"Five minutes"

That gave John just enough time to wrap up his final thoughts. He had just completed the assignment when Ms. Barron exclaimed,

"OK. Pens down. Please drop your booklet off on my desk on your way out."

When they got into the hallway John turned to Katie,

"She's going to be a tough one."

"Yeah, I knew she would be. My roommate was telling me that English Comp is the main cut course for the freshman class. They use it to weed out the students that have no business being here. I just hope I can maintain a C average."

"When's your next class?"

"Not until 2:00. How about you?"

"Mine is not until 3:00. You want to stop for a bite to eat at the Student Union?"

"Sure, let's go. We can drop our books off on the way and pick up what we need for later."

When they reached the SU, they got in line in the cafeteria. John took a slice of pizza and a soda; Katie, a salad with grilled chicken, two hard-boiled eggs, an apple and a banana, and a bottle of water. They found a table off to the side of the room and sat down. Katie looked over at his tray,

"Is that all you're having? That's not a very healthy meal."

"I really don't eat all that much. I can't believe that you can eat all that and stay as trim as you are."

"I'm starved, besides I have to eat a lot to maintain my body weight. I have a lot of muscle mass to support." Looking around, she pushed the sleeve of her shirt up her arm and flexed her bicep, holding it for just a few moments.

John's eyes nearly popped out of his head. He hadn't noticed the size of her arms while he was admiring her figure before. He had never seen a girl with arms that big before; they were much larger than his own.

"My god, you're huge! You must be awful strong."

"That I am. I'm here on an athletic scholarship."

"Football?"

"No silly; woman's softball."

"How did you get so big, if you don't mind my asking?"

"I work out almost two hours a day, every day, and I've been doing it since I was fifteen years old."

"I was never very good at sports, I spent most of my time reading and studying. I'm here on an academic scholarship. I want to get involved in the space program."

"Oh, are you some sort of rocket scientist? I'm just teasing you. But all kidding aside, you must be really smart. Hey we make a pretty good pair; Brains and Brawn."

She laughed at her own joke and it was music to his ears. The more he talked to her, the more he became infatuated with her. There was something about her that seemed to draw him like a moth to a flame. They eased back into a casual conversation and told each other about growing up, their families, and their likes and dislikes. John couldn't believe how much they had in common.

Before they knew it, it was twenty to two. John walked Katie over to her dorm, and watched as she entered the building. He walked over to his dorm, collapsed on the bed and daydreamed about her. At a quarter to three he picked up his books for his last two classes and ran the two blocks to the building where they were held. He knew she wouldn't be there, but he looked for her anyway.

It was a little after five when he made it back to his dorm room. His roommate Eddie was there.

"So how did your first day go?"

"Not bad, how was yours?"

"Great, I only had one class today."

Eddie was here on a basketball scholarship. He was six feet nine and weighed about two hundred and fifty pounds. He had told John that he was taking the minimum number of credits that he was allowed to carry and still be considered a full-time student. He was here to make a name for himself as a basketball player; he had no intention of ever getting a degree.

"Hey John, who was that girl I saw you with at the SU? Man she looked sweet."

"She's a girl from a couple of my morning classes."

"You trying to put the moves on her or is she fair game?"

"She's just a friend for now; I just met here today."

"You better watch out, someone -- maybe me -- is gonna get her first."

"I don't think so; I think she can handle herself quite well."

"Don't say I didn't warn you. You going down for dinner?"

"Later, after the crowd thins out."

"Well, I can't wait, I'm starved. See you later, John."

It was nearly seven o'clock before John made his way to the SU for dinner. The crowd had thinned out and there were plenty of tables to choose from. As he ate he couldn't help thinking about Katie. Even though he had just met her, he knew he was already beginning to fall for her. The way she walked, smiled, laughed... everything about her made him want to know even more about her, to be with her.

As he stared down at his empty plate, he remembered something that she had said at lunch, something about working out every day for a couple of hours. He looked at his watch.

'I wonder if she's over at the gym right now.'

He practically ran across the campus to the gym and showed his student ID at the door. Walking around, he was amazed at the size of the place. It was so much bigger than the one at his old school. To one side, through a set of double doors, were several basketball courts, all in use. There were collapsible stands surrounding the courts and a second level of fixed seating above them. He counted eight baskets; two appeared to be in the middle of the two outer courts and were currently folded upwards towards the ceiling. As he looked a little closer he realized that he was standing under one of the baskets of the main court and at the other end of the room was the other one. The courts that were in use tonight ran width-wise across the main court which he assumed was for the varsity games.

He turned and walked out of the room. Once he was back in the vestibule, he crossed over to another set of doors which opened into a hallway. As he walked down the hall, he passed several closed doors. Inside the rooms he could see racquetball courts on one side and on the other, a well equipped workout room. He opened the door and slipped into the room. It was large, had several rows of treadmills, ellipticals and stair climbers on one side. In the middle of the room appeared to be a complete circuit of exercise equipment designed to target various muscle groups. The other side of the room contained the free weights.

The room appeared to be nearly deserted. There were two people running on treadmills, someone in the middle of the circuit machines, and two people over on the free weights. One guy on the free weights had just finished his workout and was walking towards him; a towel around his neck, heading to the doorway leading to the locker rooms to John's left. Just as he was about to leave in disappointment he spotted her. She was just finishing up a set on the bench press. To his untrained eye, it looked like she had been lifting the detached rear axle of a railroad car. He couldn't read the numbers on the weights, but they looked heavy. She walked over to another piece of equipment, squatted down, adjusting the amount of weight on one side and then on the other. Grabbing hold of the handles which were attached to cables she began to work her shoulders and her arms. Her muscles seemed to bulge as the weights on either side of her moved up and down on the frame.

'God, she magnificent,' he thought, as he gazed at her body, his hand absent mindedly adjusting his growing erection constricted by his jeans.

'I've got to get out of here before she sees me and thinks I'm some sort of pervert.'

He retreated out of the room and out of the gym, relieved that he hadn't been seen.

Katie finished her exercise and, looking in the mirror in front of her, flexed her biceps, a smile of satisfaction at what she had just seen, on her lips.

'So, John seems to like strong women with muscles,' she thought. 'This could get interesting, very interesting.'

Chapter 7

They saw a lot of each other that first semester. They had at least one class together every day. They would meet for lunch, have dinner together, or arrange to meet in the library to study or do homework. They would go out socially on occasion, but neither of them considered it dating. They were just good friends, for now.

Academically, John was having no trouble at all adjusting to college life. He had aced all of his mid-terms and was well on his way to a 4.0 first semester. Katie was not having it that easy. She was passing all of her courses, but it appeared that she was destined to be, at best, an average student. She was fine with that; her primary focus at this point was the upcoming softball season. She had already met with the varsity coach and could not wait to get on the baseball field for her tryout.

One day in the early in December, they were having dinner together. The conversation centered around the upcoming finals and grade point averages.

"Katie, you know you have to maintain at least a 2.0 GPA in order to avoid probation. If you fall below that, they can suspend you from extracurricular activities, which may include softball as well."

"What about my scholarship?"

"That too, I'm afraid."

"John, what am I going to do? I think I can eke out a B in Accounting and Economics, and a C in Western Civ, but I'm afraid of Spanish and English Comp. I need this scholarship, and I really want to play softball."

"OK, here's what we are going to do. For the next week, every spare moment we have will be used to go over Spanish and Western Civ. If we can get you up to a B in one of those two, all you'll need is a C in the other and a D in Comp. Together, we'll get you through this."

With a sequel of delight she jumped up, rushed to John's side of the table and lifted him clean out of the chair in a mind blowing, rib crunching bear hug.

"Katie put me down, I can't breathe."

Katie was in no hurry to comply, he felt wonderful in her arms. She could feel his cock twitching in his pants.

'I'm turning him on big time.' With a smile she put him back on the ground.

"I'm heading to the gym, dream about me tonight." She picked up her bag and walked out of the hall.

John, his face several shades of red darker than usual, sat back down to the applause of several students seated nearby, and waited for his erection to subside.

True to his word, John spent all of his spare time working with Katie, reviewing his notes from Western Civ and going over grammar rules and vocabulary from Spanish. Not that it was a chore. He loved every minute of it. Being in close proximity to this beautiful, overwhelming woman was almost more than he could stand. By the end of the week they were ready. Their exams were tough, but when they came out of their last one together, they each knew that they had done well.

The following morning, John waited outside Katie's dorm. Katie's mom was picking her up early. They got a quick cup of coffee and headed over to the pre-arranged meeting place. John's mom would be picking him up later that day. When Katie spotted her mom, she waived, picked up her bag of clothes, her books and other personal items and , before running over to the car turned to John and kissed him on the cheek.

"See you in a couple of weeks."

When she got in the car, her mother having seen the kiss, asked, "Who's the young man you were with?"

"That's John; he's been my best friend at school this semester. He's helped me study; he got me through my exams. He's the best."

"He's really cute, too."

"Yeah, I know."

John, suddenly felt all alone, even though he was surrounded by hundreds of students, all trying to finish up last minute details for the semester break. It had only been several hours since he had watched Katie leave with her mother and already he missed her.

When his mom arrived, he was ready. On the long drive back home she asked how exams were, how things were going, and had he made any friends.

Without thinking John blurted out, "I met the most wonderful girl I've ever known. She's beautiful, fun to be with, sexy and amazingly strong."

Realizing that what he had just thought, he had said aloud -- and to his own mother -- he turned scarlet and stared straight ahead.

'Sounds like someone's in love.' His mother just smiled and asked no more questions.

Katie made arrangements with Joan to meet her after Christmas Day at the gym. They had a great workout, during which Katie told her about the guy she had met at school.

"He's extremely smart, funny, and has Tom Cruise-like good looks, and he really likes my muscles."

"Sounds like a keeper to me. I'm happy for you Katie, truly happy. It sounds like you're in love."

"Maybe, I just may be."

They worked out hard every day for the next ten days. As she had promised, Katie had kept her body in great shape and was actually stronger now than when she had left for school.

John spent most of his time off reading and missing Katie. He did, however, meet up with a couple of friends from high school and talked their ears off about the girl he met at school.

"Come on John, who do you think you're kidding? What would a girl like that see in a guy like you?"

That night, John had an anxiety attack, what *did* Katie see in him? Could she really like a bookworm nerd like him? Was he imagining more to their friendship than there really was? The next morning he awoke fully resolved to do whatever it took to win her over.

The next semester started on January 11. They had arranged before they had left for the semester break to meet the night before at 6:00 at the SU. He sat there waiting, would she remember, would his plan work?

He had brought a gym bag and workout clothes and he planned to ask her to help him get into shape.

His face lit up as he saw her enter the building. She smiled that wonderful smile of hers as she glided over to his table.

"John, it's so good to see you again. I missed you," she said giving him a kiss on the cheek. She pulled out a chair and started to sit, when she spotted his gym bag.

"What's this?"

"Katie, that's my workout stuff. I decided that I would start working out this semester. I want to get in better shape, maybe put on a little more muscle."

"That's wonderful, John. You could use a little more muscle on that body of yours. We could work out together if you don't mind joining me for late night workouts. I find that the gym is less crowded and it's easier to get a good workout after 9:00."

"I was sort of hoping that you would let me join you, I've never done anything like this before."

"It would be my pleasure; it's the least I could do to repay you for all the help you gave me last semester. By the way, I ended up with a 2.8 GPA thanks to you. But I'm warning you now, just because you're my best friend, I'm not going to go easy on you. If you're serious about this, I'm going to work that body of yours hard."

"Can we start tonight?"

"Sure! I already worked out this afternoon, before the gym got too crowded. I'll set up a program for you just like my friend Joan had done for me. Let's have something light to eat now, then we can go over to the gym and I'll put you through some tests to see what your strength levels are. Nothing too tough tonight; after all, it's your first time."

Later, as they walked over to the gym, bits and pieces of their earlier conversation kept popping into his mind.

'Best friend... work your body hard.... Maybe, just maybe, this could be lead to something.'

Upon entering the gym, John allowed Katie to guide him to the large fitness room. She pointed to the locker room.

"You change in there; I'll meet you at the treadmills."

John found an empty locker, changed into his shorts and tee-shirt, white socks and sneakers, and with more than a little apprehension, left the locker room. Katie had the treadmill already programmed for what she considered a short, light warm up; one mile at a pace of just under four miles per hour.

"John, stand here, when I press this button the tread will start to move. Hold onto the handles and start to walk. The machine will slowly pick up speed until it reaches its preset pace. At that point you may feel more comfortable jogging. You can read how fast you are going and how far you've gone here; this is how much time you have left before your cool down begins. Ready?"

And she pushed the button.

She stood back and watched with amusement as John, startled by the sudden movement, latched onto the handles for dear life. When he realized that the machine was not going to throw him off, he settled down into a fast walk, which soon escalated into a slow jog. Katie watched him closely, looking for any signs of fatigue, knowing that this was the first exercise other than his daily walks on campus that John had done in a long, long time. Sure enough, around the three quarter mile mark, John began to show signs of fatigue, his mouth was wide open gulping down air and sweat was dripping down his face. Katie reached over and hit the cool down button.

"Why did you do that, I could have made it."

"John, don't worry about it. I got all the information I needed. This was a warm up exercise; you're warmed up. Come on lets go to the circuit."

As they walked to the first machine Katie wrote in her pad.

"John, this is a 'Lat Pull' machine. Sit here, reach up when I tell you and grab the bar, your hands shoulder width apart, and pull it down to your chest; let it back up until your arms are almost straight, and then repeat the exercise. This pin adjusts the amount of weight that that you will be lifting. We'll start you off with twenty pounds and see how that feels." She bent over, pulled the pin out of the weight marked one hundred, and inserted it into the one marked twenty. "OK, begin."

123456...9