Dangerous Affairs

Story Info
An Obsessed man, the Cop and the heroine.
2.4k words
4.39
24.5k
15

Part 1 of the 11 part series

Updated 10/31/2022
Created 04/03/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
cpm09
cpm09
26 Followers

Chapter One

Leigh Grayson was in her bedroom looking at her own face reflected in the body length mirror. Her beauty was oblivious to her. She could make her presence known anywhere she entered. Her long black hair complemented a perfectly heart-shaped face. But her dark chocolate eyes reflected all the sadness she felt inside. She missed her parents terribly.

Her parents would have been proud of her, she thought. Her mother, Maria, was always supportive of her passion for art. Maria, a sensitive and loving woman who also appreciated art herself encouraged Leigh to express her feelings through it. She died of cancer after two years of suffering; Leigh was only sixteen years old. Then a week before her eighteenth birthday, her father William was shot on duty. The perpetrator had also been killed during the heist.

Leigh was positive that her father had been victim of foul play. He had been oddly withdrawn weeks before the fatal day. He wouldn't talk about what was disturbing him.

But there was no way she could prove Michael's involvement. The officers involved in the operation refused to help her. They dismissed her allegations straight away. She knew at least two of them were dirty; she'd overheard her father mentioning their names during a heated phone conversation once.

Five years ago

Assistant Chief William Grayson was a very loyal and dedicated officer. Michael's father had been William's first partner, before getting killed while on duty. He took Michael under his wing and guided him through training and his first years on the force. He saw Michael mature as a man and a cop. He witnessed Michael advance higher in the ranks and soon Michael had become part of the family and that made it almost impossible for William to conceive any idea that Michael might be involved in illegal activities. The fact had come alight after he'd witnessed something that made his stomach turn with disgust. Michael was on the payroll for the mob. That was a stab in the heart.

What William didn't know was that taking money from the local mob boss was child's play compared to what Michael was really capable of: Murder. Assistant Chief William Grayson had found this out in the worst way and the most treasured thing in his life would suffer the consequences of his naivety. He thought of Leigh, a child, who had known the truth about Michael's character all along, and yet he, who was supposed to have been a perceptive man never saw what was in front of him. He was utterly blinded by his trust in the only person who had ultimately betrayed him...

Detective Michael Tempton hadn't been involved in the incident, but was promptly on Leigh's side ready to offer his sympathy, one she refused blatantly. She never liked him. She never hid the fact from her parents or anyone for that matter.

Michael Tempton was a gentleman, an outstanding member of the community, the perfect partner a police officer could have hoped for. Well, at least that's what everyone had thought. Her father held Michael in high esteem, making sure Michael felt part of the family.

She would feel a chill in her body every time he was near. When he spoke to her she would either ignore or reply curtly. She couldn't bring herself to even look at him. She didn't like him at all. Her father took it as normal teenaged behavior, juvenile, but the fact was, Leigh wasn't rebellious, she had no reason to be. Her parents were loving, considerate and, supportive. She responded to their love by being a helpful, responsible daughter. However, when Michael was in the picture, her mood would change completely. She couldn't help it, and he made sure her displeasure for him was shown in front of as many people as possible. He would play his role brilliantly, feigning hurt but forgiving her for her attitude. He would just smile and dismiss it as a teenager fit of temper when her father would apologize on her behalf. She had no chance to make her father believe her.

But Leigh knew what Michael was really like, because she saw through his charming demeanor. She was young but she was no fool. He was cunning and deceiving. Why could nobody see that was beyond her?

*****************

"Damn it!" Leigh was late and she hated being late, but last night she couldn't sleep; a certain pair of green eyes were in her mind the whole night, keeping her from falling asleep. It was around 5 A.M. when she managed to drift into a deep and wonderful dream. "Damien;" that was his name. In her dreams, she watched him cross to her, entranced by his magnetism. There was something about him that made her let her guard down. She would have gladly lost herself in those arms, those lips.

I couldn't. I can't, she thought sadly as she grabbed her car keys and headed to the door. She knew Michael was watching her like he had every day for the past year. He waited in his car and watched her get into hers. Every single day she ignored him. She couldn't help it today. Today she felt powerful. Thoughts of Damien and how his touch felt on her skin made her feel brave and in control. She looked back, facing those icy eyes with all her strength and defiance, only to regret. She wasn't strong enough. She felt a chill pass through her. He was grinning, acknowledging her challenge. He seemed quite amused; perversely amused.

When she arrived at the gallery Lucy came running up breathlessly waving her hands at her. She knew she was late but not that late. So, why was Lucy so eager to speak to her?

"Sorry I'm late," Leigh said nonchalantly. She knew her friend and owner of the gallery where she gladly volunteered to help twice a week wouldn't care if she was late or not. Lucy simply dismissed her apology impatiently.

Okay, that's odd, Leigh thought. She knew for a fact that her friend never lost her patience which made Lucy look so funny at the moment.

"What on earth is going on?" Leigh asked, trying hard to hide the laughter in her voice.

"Well, I knew it was going to be a success but I didn't anticipated this much!" Lucy said in a rush, hardly containing her excitement.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, let's just say that you are a huge success. You've done it!" Lucy said with pride. She was truly happy for Leigh. Lucy had been trying to convince Leigh to display her work for the past year and she had finally been successful the previous night. Although Leigh had always dreamed of displaying her work she didn't feel it was time yet. She needed to focus on a more important task. She needed to put all her energy to bringing Michael Tempton to justice.

"Really? How many?"

"All of them!"

"All of them? Oh my God, Lucy! This is incredible!" She was beyond happy. She was ecstatic!

Leigh began jumping and hugging Lucy, expressing how thankful she was to have such a wonderful and supportive friend.

Not that she doubted herself but to sell all of her pieces was a bit too much to expect. Leigh didn't know what made her finally give in but the decision was made a few weeks after she'd found a letter her father had written her just before his death. She had no proof yet but she vowed to make Michael Tempton pay for the deceit and corruption.

He had started to become more and more intrusive since she started working for the Office of Citizen Complaint, a team of civilians who'd never worked in law enforcement investigated complaints made by other civilians, and she'd felt she couldn't do anything without him harassing her. He was everywhere she went, he was watching her moves. She was aware that he knew she was closer to gathering all the necessary evidence against him.

To make matters worse, Michael had begun to inquire about her personal life. She didn't like it. She didn't like it one bit. They never talked about anything; she made it clear she didn't want him to know her or anything to do with her life.

That was why she had been so adamant to wait until she had rid him of her life. Regardless, she had accepted Lucy's request to put her work on display in the gallery during a private showing by a local and respectable artist last night. She'd put off her dreams long enough and decided not to wait anymore, she had to know if she was really as good as Lucy had constantly told her. She just had to know.

Leigh had been nervous and anxious the entire day. She wasn't going to attend the showing but decided that she needed to be there to help Lucy as she always did. Deep down she wanted to pretend the show was all hers and not that she was just a small aspiring artist borrowing a corner of the gallery.

The previous night

She went shopping that afternoon and bought a dress that would make her feel beautiful but not stand out. She only wanted to be there to watch people's reactions and to listen to their comments of the pieces displayed. She even asked Lucy not to divulge her identity to anyone if asked. She wasn't ready for that yet.

So, there she was, happily sipping her glass of champagne and, watching and listening to the buzz around her. But there was something missing. There was no one there with her, by her side to share the great moment in her life. Lucy had been great, very encouraging and supportive but at the moment she was all business; seeing to the guests and possible buyers, and Leigh craved some support on a more personal level.

****************

Damien Crook was tired. It had been crazy at work, especially with the last case. It had taken them over five months of gruesome work to investigate, suspend the officer involved, deal with the appeal and finally apply the disciplinary charges. Now with the case closed, he felt he could finally wind down. Brian Howard, his best friend and partner had been seeing a young artist for a few months now and she'd invited him to attend an exhibit of a prestigious local artist. Not wanting to disappoint her but also not wanting to be bored to death, Brian had convinced Damien to go with him.

Damien noticed her as soon as he arrived, how could he not? She was so alluring. His attraction to her was instantaneous. He was having hard time concentrating on the conversation with Brian. She looked stunning in an elegant black tailored dress that molded perfectly to her body. It was a v-shaped low cut that showed the right amount of cleavage and made her look very sophisticated and sexy. But there was something that was disturbing him about her. Her smiles were not quite reaching her eyes. It made him want to reach out and give her the comfort she seemed to need. He felt the urge to keep her safe, to protect her.

I think I need a drink, he thought. He grabbed a glass from a waiter and continued to watch her, then she met his eyes. It was an immediate feeling that shot through his body, he could sense she felt the same. Her eyes were gleaming, his were hungry. He started slowly in her direction, still holding her gaze.

They were standing close to each other, neither speaking. Damien felt like he was under a spell.

"Hello," he said in a whisper and made her shiver. "I am Damien"

He lifted his right hand, burning to cup her face and bring her lips to his. He touched her arm trying to bring her closer to his body. Leigh couldn't move; but she wanted to. She closed her eyes and felt him move closer to her. She felt his fingers lightly touching her cheek, and she opened her eyes and saw the desire in his.

"What's your name?" Damien asked softly almost timidly.

Leigh could only stare, entranced by the feelings he was inciting in her. She opened her mouth to answer him but no sound came out. Her heart was beating so fast, and she almost forgot to breath. This man made her feel completely warm inside and she couldn't describe the intense sensations shooting through her.

"I...uh...my." Leigh mumbled but didn't have a chance to finish it.

"Damien!" Brian called to him. "You need to come and have a look at this."

Startled, Damian released Leigh and turned to face Brian. He turned to briefly acknowledge his friend but when he looked to where the most beautiful woman he had ever met was standing just a few seconds before, she was gone. He felt empty. "Damn it, Brian!" He didn't even have the chance to get her name.

****************

It'd been two months and he couldn't stop thinking about her. Briefly when he touched her, her skin felt so soft, he ached to feel it again. And those big chocolate eyes haunted him day and night. But he had to get himself together. He couldn't concentrate on anything, even Brian noticed it.

"What's up with you, Damien? You have been withdrawn lately. Come on man! You left last night leaving Laura feeling completely humiliated! And I never saw you ignore pussy. Now you got me worried. Spill it!"

Damien was starting to get on Brian's nerves with all the sulking. Brian decided to do something about it to save his own sanity. He had managed to convince Damien to go out and hit the bars for a bit of distraction, only to bump into Laura, Damian's ex-girlfriend, which she wouldn't have been if it had depended on her. Last night she had made that very clear.

"It's nothing. I have been tired lately. And come on, Laura, seriously? It probably didn't take her five minutes to find someone to console her"

"Two actually" Brian murmured.

"I just need a new assignment, you know, something to help me get me out of this funk. I need a bit of action, I am getting bored, and you know me, Brian."

"Whatever you say, Damien. But since that night at the gallery when I unfortunately stopped you becoming acquainted with a certain ebony goddess..."

"What the fuck, Brian...you—"

"Crook! Howard! In my office...NOW!" Chief Harrison shouted.

Damien perked up instantly; whenever Chief Harrison called them in the office it only meant one thing: business. They had a new assignment. There is a God, Damien thought. It was all he needed right now. Action would rid all thoughts of her. Well, that's at least what he hoped for.

cpm09
cpm09
26 Followers