Dark as Daylight Ch. 20

Story Info
The Story Slows.
15.7k words
4.83
18k
25

Part 21 of the 27 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 10/06/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Preface: Hello my friends, today is May 19, I tell you this because I just got out of the hospital again. It seems every time I start writing, another one of these mini-strokes hits me. I am tired of playing the game of home, hospital, home and hospital again. There is only one option left open to me at this point and that, I am sorry to inform you is to have my head opened by a neurosurgeon. I have a clot, or what they call, an 'Abnormal Venal Malformation' on the right side of the temporal lobe of my brain, and there is something growing unknown growing underneath it. Neurosurgery, by a robot, controlled by a doctor whom I've met in the flesh, is now scheduled for June 7, at 9 AM.

If nothing terrible happens between now and then, I am going to continue to write. Whatever I have done up the morning of June 7, at 3:30 AM, I will post, because I don't expect I will be sleeping much that night. I don't know how much I will have written, or the quality of it, but I will have tried my best to give you something to read, prior to the doctor, and his robot is using a hole saw on my head, later that morning.

If you are young enough to remember the TV show, my surgeon looks a lot like "Doogie Howser" in an elongated version. He is 6'5" tall, thin as a rail, and according to my neurologist, the smartest man in town. That is not bad by my lowly standards. In our discussions, he said I had a better than 60/40 percent chance on my side that things will go well. I wish the odds were better, but with my run of luck this past five years, who am I to complain? Now, let me get back to work. Bob.

Chapter 76. 16 hours after liftoff the Good Luck 1 settled back down in the landing area, with its mission completed. The acoustic units were inoperative for several reasons. Many of them were completely overgrown by the neighboring flora. Others received a less glorious death by bird poop. Without the sun to recharge the solar batteries 24 hours a day the units were useless. Only 7 units were completely out of order but they were close together. Another 12 were on the brink of going under, and they were scattered around, and had to be repaired also.

It was evident from the tracks around some of the unit areas that the larger animals had been testing for a way to get past the invisible fencing for quite a while, but the wall of sound kept them at bay. Finally, they tracked in on a region close to the center of an area where the sound was not so deafening. They herded together, and ran through nearly unimpeded. This breakthrough had been recent, and en masse, which was very good news for the human population.

There was only this one large group, led by the four huge 'Ligers' that had gotten through. They would only have to keep watch for the animals who went through with them to see if they approached the compound. It appeared to be about 25 animals in all, and Newton already had a plan working to keep these animals at bay.

Fixing the barrier presented a problem in reverse. These animals would now be trapped inside the fenced area. Any time they tried to leave the deafening sound would chase them back inside. They would either learn to stay away from the big black ball, the humans, and the animals around it, or they would die.

************************

"Doctor Daniels to engineering, Doctor Daniels to engineering immediately. Medical team to engineering immediately."

The medical team arrived just before Hannah did, but only by a hair. Jack was lying on the engineering room floor, with the front of his shirt torn open. Newton was giving him mouth to mouth resuscitation, and Earl was doing chest compressions.

Calmly, Hannah said, "Newton let him go. It is his time."

Newton screamed, "No it's not, it can't be. He was standing here talking with me a moment ago. He can't be gone. He just can't be."

"Yes, he can son, yes he can. I've been following his decreasing lung capacity for the past nine months, but we haven't said a thing to anyone, except to Doctor Finch, and Sandy. He didn't want to be treated any different by anyone. He wanted to go about his duties, and yes, he was as stubborn as your grandfather, he wanted to 'Die Like a Man.' He's probably with your grandfather playing rummy with the computer."

Newton chuckled. "It could get mighty crowded in there."

"I'm sure Callie can fit them all in."

Then she screamed at her husband, "Jack, you no good son of a bitch, why couldn't you let me die first. Haven't I suffered enough for one life?"

Doctor Finch took her by her shoulders. "No, you haven't Hannah. Believe it or not we have three more pregnancies due this week, and you are scheduled to deliver them all."

"I wonder who did the scheduling, Joseph?"

"Don't look at me, that's Sandy's job."

Sandy said, "That is one thing Even forgot about with Deep Space Travel. If humans had no television to watch, all they do is screw. The outcome of that activity every nine months is a child; one or two, or more at a time."

"That's right, Hannah. If you and Jack were in that age bracket, you would've added two or three little ones to our population. So, stop complaining, and let's get your husband ready for a wonderful sendoff into the cosmos."

"I'm going to put that prick of his into his tightest jockey shorts. I hope he chafes to infinity."

"He has reached his infinity Hannah. He will return to nitrogen and carbon the elements that make up this universe of ours."

"Joe, call the bridge, and have them make the announcement that my husband is dead. We will land, pick up the others, and then go off into space and send him on his final journey."

"Well said. Now go to work, and get your head out of your ass."

"Well said, Doctor."

As he watched her walk away Joe said to Sandy, "Newton took it quite well. I'm worried about when Gordon hears it and they get together. Tell two of our nurses to get into casual clothes, take two hypos with 2 mg of lorazepam each. If they start acting nutty, hit them both with it."

"You got it, Doctor, but what do I get in return for being your messenger?"

"Something long and hard, and as frequently as you can get it up."

"That is acceptable. Oh, by the way, congratulations daddy."

"Oh no, not again."

"It only makes six, including the two on earth."

"When?"

"6 ½, maybe seven months."

"Are you giving me another boy this time?"

"You have one son to carry on your family honor. Are you complaining?"

"No dear, and I have so much fun making you pregnant."

"In that case, I won't tell you, because I don't know yet. I'll let you do the sonogram yourself. Won't that be fun?"

"I'll put a sign on the door saying female examination in progress. I will have you in stirrups while I'm doing the sonogram."

"Isn't that irregular?"

"Not for what I'm going to be doing to you while I'm doing the sonogram."

"Joseph, you are a dirty old man."

"I am so happy you remembered. Now please trot along and deliver my message."

"Yes Doctor."

***********

Teddy rushed into engineering and saw Jack's body lying on the floor covered by a blanket. She rushed over to him and held his hand.

"I didn't know God wanted you today Mr. Daniels. If I did I would have said goodbye before you left. You were a good friend to me. You taught me all about the engineering department and answered all my questions regardless of how funny they were. I hope you enjoy where God sends you next because you did nothing wrong in this life and you made everyone you touched better than they were. Thank you for letting me know you."

She turned to Doctor Finch and asked, "What are we going to do now?"

"You are almost 16 years old Teddy, you tell me what were going to do with Jack's body? You should have the procedure memorized by now."

"The only deaths we've had while we were in space was my grandfather's and Doctor Aubrey. I was very little back then. I know where my grandfather is and I talked to him all the time. I'm not sure if anyone prayed over Doctor Aubrey's body or for his soul. They let his body float off the loading dock into space."

"I don't remember if we prayed over his body or not Teddy. I know I didn't because of what he tried to do to us. I don't know if it was the right thing to do, but I don't miss the man. Everything has been on an even keel since he left us. We are going to do the same thing with Jack's body. Several of his friends will carry his body out onto the dock and release it out into space. This time I can guarantee you prayers will be said for his well-being in the next world. You have already said one, and so have I."

Over the annunciator, the captain called for all personnel to strap in and prepare for landing. Teddy and Joe ran to their assigned places and buckled their safety harnesses.

Moments later they could feel the Good Luck 1 descend through the atmosphere of Atwater Luck smoothly and then maneuver to the landing zone. With the fences repaired and a full load of water the ship and its personnel were ready for anything.

As soon as the doors opened and announcement was made for everyone to come on board due to Jack's death. One camera was focused on Gordon Luck.

He threw his rifle to Gray and ran for the closest entryway. Amazingly, that entryway closed.

He charged for the second entry, and it closed, while the first one opened. He screamed like a lion in heat. He turned and yelled, "Monty, I'll take you up to the gym, on the second floor, the cafeteria, or outside. I have to see Jack."

She replied calmly, "Gordon as soon as you have control of your faculties you will be allowed in this spacecraft. You will not be allowed in one second before. Are we clear on that fact?"

"Yes, Captain, however I'm not finished with you, but Jackson may not be able to touch you for six months. He may be the sorriest person on this planet, because of what you're doing to me this day."

"Would you repeat that so my husband can hear you. I wouldn't want him to miss one syllable of that sentence."

"He won't have to hear the sentence Captain, all he will have to do is look at you in your casts, in the infirmary."

Jackson came over the speakers and said, "Remember wife, where there is a will there is a way. I am sure I will find a way in."

Monty said, "Oh fuck!"

Jackson replied, "Exactly."

Gordon said, "You won't have to worry about her arms Jackson, they will be immobilized for a very long time. Her legs will be spread wide and high while they remain in traction, and she won't be able to speak until the hinge on her jaw heals. Everyone knows I went easy on her last time, especially Doctor Finch who had to heal her, and put her in braces."

"You are a man after my own heart Gordon."

"I hate you Gordon Luck."

"Am I telling any lies Captain?"

Through clenched teeth Monty replied, "No. Come aboard Gordon."

"Thank you very much Captain."

With permission to board, Gordon took off as if he was struck by lightning. Nobody told him where Jack's body was, he knew it by instinct. He entered the first floor, turned left, and charged straight for engineering. Teddy was there again as was Newton. The business of engineering continued around him, as Jack would have wanted it to.

The two nurses were in the area watching the proceedings. They prepare to move in as Newton stood up and approached Gordon. They swore they could hear bones crunch as they held each other.

"Gordon, what the hell am I supposed to do without him?"

"You can't think that way Newt. You are the head of engineering from this moment on. If there is an emergency, you are the one they are going to call. He taught you everything he knew about every piece of equipment in here. You have been all over this place two dozen times if not more with me. You've been over it more than that with Jack, and you've been over it more than that by yourself. You are ready for this job. You must be confident in your every move just the way he was. Show no fear when you decide, if it's the right one, fine. If it's the wrong one, one of your crewmates will tell you it's wrong and explain why. Then you can change it. Didn't Jack do that with the testing equipment? Sometimes shit just happens, like the way Aubrey changed the flow on the atomic reactor. You went by the book and you were sure you were right. If I didn't know better you would've blown up the ship knowing you were right."

"So, you can still get in trouble when you know you are right?"

"Look at me, I do it all the time cousin."

"Yes, you do, and you look marvelous doing it."

Teddy said, "Andrea, Fatima, I think you can go back to the infirmary now. I don't think they are going to get into a fight."

"I think you're right Teddy. They handled this situation like grown men, and that scares me a little."

"No, my uncle Gordon growing up. My brother almost 23 now. He is growing up too."

"It's really a shame, I could've injected Gordon with the lorazepam, hid Jack's body, and given Gordon a royal sendoff instead."

"Teddy tell Fatima how much trouble she would be in with Zoey if that happened."

"It is almost too horrible to imagine uncle Gordon. I am not sure if God has a place picked out for Zoey for doing something as horrible as that to another human being."

"Do you see Fatima, I am protected on all sides. If a normal human being tries to hurt me, all I must do is sic my wife on them, because she knows she will be without me for the rest of time, and she can't bear the thought of that. If a super human being tries to hurt me, I will stand beside her and watch her take it apart offering her encouragement while she does it. When she's finished, I will kiss her, and take her to bed for all her efforts on my behalf. It's all part of my genetic coding. I can't lose with Zoey as my wife."

"Uncle Gordon, one hour in the chapel with me for lying."

"Niece Teddy, I don't believe I lied. However, if you believe I did, I will go to the chapel with you, and pray for two hours to make amends."

"That is acceptable uncle Gordon."

Fatima said, "He is insufferable."

Newton said, "Here's a lot of things, insufferable is only a very tiny one of them."

***************************

As they donned their space gear, Hannah looked lost in it.

Gordon said, "Hannah don't worry about the fit. Everything will be sealed around you and you will be surrounded by air. Newton and I will have Jack vertical until the dock is depressurized, and he becomes weightless. We will lean him back and place his shoulders onto your hands. I will have his right side, and Newton his left. Newton and I will begin walking until we reach the end of the dock. At that point, we will step away from him and it will be up to you to push him into space. You will have a tether on you. You are not allowed to go with him, even if you want to."

"Sometimes Gordon, you could spoil a wet dream."

"Hannah, you are needed here. If you don't think you are, I will unhook you. You have seven minutes of air, and it will be over. Do you think he wants that?"

"We discussed it. He threatened to kill me if I did it."

"Now that makes a lot of sense, doesn't it?"

"I guess it did, at the time."

"Are you ready?"

"Yes, I'm really."

"Danny, this is Gordon. We are entering the dock."

"Roger that, three entering the dock."

"Dock door is secure, one on tether, two free-floating."

"Roger, depressurizing the dock.

"The dock is at .02. Opening the door."

"Hannah, you're about to see what God spent one half of the second making. It is beyond wondrous."

Everyone could see the stars from the TVs inside the spacecraft, but the first time they saw this unobstructed view their hearts stopped, their mouths opened and the same words flowed forth.

She said, "Oh My God!"

"I said the very same thing when my dad took me out for the very first time. I don't think there is anything else you can say when you look at that wonderful site. That's what were giving Jack to. Don't feel bad for him, feel bad for us because we are staying behind."

"Newton, let's go. Walk along with us, Hannah."

It was 30 feet to the edge of the dock and all Hannah did who was look at the horizon. She had no idea the dock was 15 feet behind her. Gordon and Newton backed off, and she was alone with her husband.

"Hannah, it's you and Jack now. Whenever you're ready, you can send him on his way."

Hannah shed a tear as she pushed Jack's head sending him into the everlasting universe.

Then she screamed to him, "That will teach you, you old goat, for shaving my pubis with 98° water."

Gordon started laughing. It took Newton a minute to figure out what Jack had shaved. When it hit him, he just stared open-mouth at Hannah.

"I will do anything you ask to hear that story."

"No way Gordon, if Zoey here's it, everyone on this ship will know it, and I will have to kill her, and you for telling her."

"Hannah, it sounds like one of those stories that might be worth it."

"It is, and you are not going to hear it."

"I am a very patient man. One day you will need something desperately. I will be the only one that knows how to do it. That story will be my price."

"I will go to my deathbed with that story tucked safely behind my lips."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Hannah, look up, then look left, then right, and most importantly look down."

The scream Hannah let out when she looked down nearly caused everyone in engineering to lose their hearing. It was one simple word, and it was meant to kill.

"Gordon! Gordon, I'm falling."

"Hannah, we are in space, you cannot fall. Don't panic, I have you."

"How can you have me, there's nothing around me."

"Look up."

"Who has you?"

"My power-pack has me. Newton's power-pack has him, and you are attached to the ship by a long tether. Do you remember your safety instructions now?"

"I'm going to raise your children as my own. I'm going to put Zoey into stasis. I'm going to castrate you so you're no use to any women on this ship. We need your body and your brain to build your sister's new engine, but other than that, I'm going to beat the shit out of you every day."

"Would you like to discuss that point with Monty?"

"Did I forget the part where I said I was going to drug you?"

"Yes, you left that part out."

"I am going to put you on a rotating diet of benzodiazepines so you will be able to think, but just barely.

"I'm going to do the same thing to you Hannah. I'm going to make you cotton candy."

"How did you know I love cotton candy?"

"You are from Texas. Texas is known for its state fairs. Name me a state fair that does not serve a ton of cotton candy each day?"

"I love cotton candy."

"I know you do Hannah, and I will make it for you; bowls and bowls of it."

"No, you can't. You need a stainless-steel bowl, with a stainless-steel insert. They must counter rotate to catch the filaments of sugar as they fly around and reach the paper cone. You have none of these things."

"Little children will be eating cotton candy in five days. Hannah will not be eating any."

"Gordon, you are evil. Where did you get stainless-steel? We didn't bring any metal with us because of Delicious' engines. What did you do now?"

"I didn't do anything. I'm just going to make cotton candy for our children."