Dark Miracle

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alexandria stared at him, an incredulous look on her face. "Why not?"

"He's... a he. A male. Lifemates are female."

"Lifemates are psychics, and the other half of a soul. How could you possibly believe that they would all be one gender? With the huge number of male children born over and over for so many years, doesn't it stand to reason that a few might survive to come to love and need the embrace of another man?"

Aidan contemplated her words as he stared through the archways at Rhys, who was so obviously in pain. Aidan held his hand out to Alexandria and they returned to the sitting room and the teenager who was sitting on the edge of the tan leather sofa, his head in his hands, obviously miserable. "Rhys, how do you know Szeren?"

Rhys sat up, wiping his eyes with his hands until Alexandria handed him a kleenex and the water, which he accepted gratefully.

"I don'tknow him, not really. I've dreamt of him since I was a child. I didn't know I was dreaming of a man until about two years ago. I never saw his face. And I didn't really think it was a real person. I mean... I mean, I've read a lot about dreams and given my psychic abilities, I always thought the dream was a manifestation of my psyche. You know, dealing with everything. I'm not gay. At least, well..." A soft blush colored his pale cheeks and he stared at the floor. "I've never, uh, I mean... I don't... Damn." He blew out a breath and looked up at them. "This is really awkward."

"You haven't dated anyone before now," Alexandria said, because she thought she understood. Before she met Aidan, she'd had no interest in men at all, despite attempting to date, so she was willing to bet that as young as Rhys was, he'd had no experiences of any kind.

Rhys shook his head. "No. Nobody. I, uh, don't like to be touched, you know? Not a real rousing advertisement for a potential boyfriend in high school: pick me and I won't so much as hold your hand." He shrugged. "I wasn't sure about what I wanted anyway."

"But when you saw Szeren..." Alex let her voice trail off.

Neither Alexandria nor Aidan could fail to miss the full body shudder that wracked Rhys's frame as he shot up off the sofa, and they both heard his words, though he muttered them under his breath as he stalked across the room away from them. "Oh yeah. I'm sure about what I want now."

Alexandria looked meaningfully at Aidan and spoke to him using their private mental pathway."Is that proof enough? He is Szeren's lifemate, Aidan. I have no doubt."

Aidan sighed."And Szeren... fled."

He got another very meaningful look from his lifemate, as Rhys roughly carried his bags in from the foyer."I'm sure he left because this is difficult for him. Rhys seems to be having a bit of trouble with it as well. I've heard coming out can be stressful, Aidan. Rhys is the right age for it... Szeren is several centuries late."

Aidan choked on a laugh, which he hastily turned into a cough as Rhys turned to look at him quizzically. Alex frowned at him.

"Please go after Szeren," she said, softly. "He needs to come back here and deal with this."

"You'll be all right here with Rhys?" Aidan asked.

Alex smiled. "Yes, I'm sure we'll be fine."

Aidan drew her into his arms where she fit so perfectly it still amazed him, and captured her mouth with his, drawing on her sweet lips. She tasted of passion and honey, and just one kiss made Aidan's blood heat and his cock pound, and he growled deep in his throat. "Later," she laughed, throatily. "Go find that stubborn male and bring him back."

Aidan kissed her again until she was literally breathless, then turned quickly and strode from the room. When Alexandria turned to look at Rhys, he was again wiping his eyes with a fresh kleenex.

"I'm sorry," Alex said, approaching him. "Aidan's very demonstrative. If it bothers you..."

Rhys shook his head. "It's just... You seem to..."

His voice trailed off but he steadily met her gaze. "You seem to accept and understand when I talk about my abilities. You kind of remind me of my mom that way, but I never told her about The Dream." Rhys smiled ruefully. "It wasway too embarrassing." Alexandria laughed. "But I get the sense that I can talk to you about it, that you'd listen and understand. That you'd believe me if I told you I met the person I was supposed to be with in a dream." Alex nodded, her eyes on Rhys's face. "Then you believe that..." A look of intense pain crossed his face and he had to swallow hard before he could force the name across his lips, "Szeren is that person."

Alex maintained eye contact with him and nodded again. "I think it's possible." She'd agreed with Rhys, hoping to bring him out a little, hoping he'd talk to her, but her words had the exact opposite effect. Rhys's entire body started shaking violently, and before Alex could say or do anything, he dropped to the floor and starting rocking back and forth as he shook.

It wasn't until Alex was on the floor next to him that she could hear his words repeated over and over like some kind of distorted, bizarre mantra.

"He doesn't want me, I can't do this, oh god, I have to get out of here." Over and over, the words just kept spilling out from between his soft, ruby-colored lips as he rocked back and forth.

"No, no," Alexandria soothed, remembering at the last second not to touch the young man. "When a male finds his lifemate, hearing their voice triggers colors and emotions for the first time in centuries, Rhys. I'm sure Szeren was just so overwhelmed he had to get out into the fresh air. Let Aidan go after him and bring him back."

Aidan took that as his cue, whisking out the doors from where he'd been eavesdropping, though he did hear Rhys's confused voice getting slightly angry as he questioned Alexandria. "Centuries? Colors and emotions? What the hell are you talking about?"

With a heavy sigh Aidan realized Alex had inadvertently said too much in her attempt to soothe the boy. Damn! What was it about Rhys that made the Carpathians let down their guard? And he had to stop thinking about Rhys as a boy. He was a man. A man who, apparently, was the lifemate of the last great Carpathian swordmaker, who was himself a powerful ancient warrior, and just as shocked as the rest of them at this turn of events. Aidan could almost track Szeren by the trail of pounding pain he left behind, and as he approached the craftsman and got a taste of the guilt and self loathing pouring off of the male, Aidan had to wonder about his last assumption. Perhaps Szerenwasn't shocked about this... and maybethat was the problem. Regardless, Aidan wasn't about to let any of their males self-destruct or turn vampire, not if there was a willing, fated lifemate ready and waiting to be bonded to them, and Aidian had seen the look in Rhys's eyes when Szeren appeared.

Rhys looked at him like a starving man might stare at a banquet.

But would it work? Could a human male with psychic ability truly be bonded through the ritual words just as a female was? Would a human male go through the turning without becoming a deranged vampire? And most importantly, would Rhys serve as the soul anchor Szeren so desperately needed to keep his darkness at bay? Was he truly the light Szeren needed? Aidan remembered little more than a year ago, the boy had been part of the silly goth culture, his pretty dark red hair dyed a flat black, his face covered with black eyeliner and lipstick, his fingernails all painted black. He'd looked like some kind of macabre walking dead doll, though he'd been polite and soft-spoken, and Aidan had been impressed with his mind and abilities even then.

"Why do you dress in these silly trappings? Don't you think it's beneath you?" Aidan asked, walking with Rhys as the police secured the scene.

Rhys fingered the badge on a lanyard around his throat that granted him access to the scene, grateful for Aidan's presence. "No. I'm not big like you, or strong, or intimidating. All I have is what people see, or what I can make them feel. People respect what they fear, Mr. Savage."

Aidan grinned at him.

"Call me Aidan. You're right, they do. But you can get respect through love, too, Rhys. Wouldn't you rather be loved?"

Rhys was very quiet. Then he turned ancient eyes to Aidan, old eyes in that too youthful face and Aidan's breath caught at how very beautiful the boy was standing there in his black clothing and makeup as though it were very modern armor.

"You can't always get what you want," Rhys said.

Aidan's heart nearly broke in two, but several detectives had been approaching, so he lightened the mood, and made a joke of it.

"Okay Mick. You getting what you need in the meantime?" Aidan grinned at him, hoping the kid was at least old enough to appreciate a good Stones tune.

"That's not how the song goes," Rhys said, softly. "Goodbye, Mr. Savage."

Perhaps Rhys knew even then what waited for him; Aidan wouldn't be surprised. The boy's skills were prodigious. Aidan honestly couldn't remember ever meeting a more talented human psychic, and he was anxious for Szeren to introduce Rhys to both Mikhail and Gregori.

Of course, that depended on the reclusive swordmaker returning to the manse and deciding to speak to the boy. At the moment, he was perched rather precariously on an ice cap, staring out at the whole of the Carpathian world. Putting his hands out, fingers spread, palms down, the way he would approach a feral beast, Aidan carefully moved closer until he was next to the male, close enough to join him on the ice cap for a seat. When Szeren didn't attack or run, Aidan sat, and said nothing. He simply waited, knowing eventually Szeren would speak.

Szeren sighed heavily, his face stoic as he stared at a world that shocked him with color and majesty. At last, he spoke.

"So now you know."

"What do I know?"

"That I am a deviant."

"I know my lifemate is attempting to soothe a very distraught young human as she waits for us to return, and I have many questions. Are you indeed seeing in color, my old friend? Are those your emotions I feel beating at me?"

"I am, and you know they are."

"Szeren... talk to me."

"I don't know what to say."

"Is he your lifemate?"

Szeren chin jerked down in an uncomfortable nod.

"He thinks you've rejected him."

"I must."

Aidan's head snapped around. "Why? Why would you be so foolish? A lifemate is a precious gift!"

"Even one with a penis?"

Aidan's silence spoke volumes, but then he sighed.

"So you're not going to claim him? You're just going to... what? Torture the both of you? Turn vampire?"

"I'm going to ask him to find the sword, then continue with my plans."

"And if he tells you to go to hell?"

"Then I will try to find the strength to walk into the sun without the sword."

Aidan got abruptly furious. "Why? Because it's better to be dead than to be gay? That's just stupid, Szeren. I live in a city where there's an entire district, an entire culture, carved out and dedicated to the gay men who live in it. They celebrate their sexuality. The Pride Parade is one of the city's biggest and best events. Tell me why you cannot claim that male as your lifemate and live happily with him, particularly if that's exactly what you want!"

Szeren closed his eyes as if in pain. "You live in the United States, Aidan, in a... progressive, liberal city. As you've said, a large section of it has its own culture and community which you've watched struggle and grow, and fight for its right to exist, so you accept it." Now he looked directly at the legendary hunter's face, meeting his golden eyes. "Would any of the warriors, ancients, who have never left these mountains, accept me? Would any of them accept my lifemate if I did claim him, convert him?" Szeren slowly shook his head.

Aidan pursed his lips. "You take too much on yourself. This must go to Mikhail. It is so unheard of, so unprecedented, that he must be told. He must verify the truth of it, verify that Rhys is indeed your lifemate, and once you've bound him, Mikhail must verify the bond. Gregori too, most likely, will want to see proof that your soul has become whole and you are no longer in danger of becoming vampire."

The laugh that erupted from Szeren's mouth was as bitter as any vampire blood. "So it isn't enough that I am a hopeless deviant, that I am the first to call a male to my side, that I may have the first union that will never produce a child for our race? We have to be put on display for all to see how completely disgusting we are, too? I can't do it Aidan. He's a mere child!"

Aidan ignored Szeren's insults, going straight to the important objections.

"He traveled here alone, Szeren. He's a legal adult, with a brilliant mind and his own business. He might be very young, but we were all very young once. And have you forgotten that quite a few of the children being raised by our people were not produced by Carpathian unions? Sara and Falcon have an entire brood that they did not get by lying together. You and Rhys could always adopt." He raised an eyebrow. "Though claiming him and turning him first would be a good idea. As would taking him before your Prince so that the validity of this miracle could be recognized. Stubborn male."

Szeren seemed lost in thought, shuddering as emotions lost centuries ago coursed through him, fresh and raw. Aidan remembered how very overwhelming it had been, getting everything back at once when he'd found Alexandria. She was his world, his heart and soul, and he couldn't live without her. He instantly reached out and touched her mind, finding her reaching for him as she chased Rhys through the house.

Aidan sighed. "Alexandria calls us back, Szeren. Rhys is trying to leave. Apparently, since you didn't claim him or even speak to him and I haven't brought you back, he's decided to run, too. Are you going to let him walk out of your life before you get a chance to touch him?"

Szeren's head snapped up, red flames glowing in the centers of his pupils as he stared ferally at Aidan. He shot into the air, shifting into the form of a large bat and winging back to the house. Shifting as he landed, his big booted feet touched down on the back lawn. He could sense Rhys inside, sense his anguish and heartache, and it tore Szeren up inside to know he was the cause of it all. He burst through the door, heading straight for where Rhys wept, Alexandria's hand reaching out with longing toward the long strands of garnet-colored hair that just brushed his shoulders.

Alexandria looked up from where she tried, futilely, to comfort Rhys. She'd stuck her foot in her mouth but good when Szeren had fled, and now it didn't seem to matter what she said or did; Rhys was determined to leave. He just kept whispering over and over, "This was such a mistake. I need to get out of here."

"Oh good. Aidan, Szeren. Please tell Rhys that we definitely want him to be here. We seem to have some kind of... misunderstanding," she said, trying to be calm. On the special mental path she shared with Aidan, she told him the truth."Rhys won't let me touch him! I'm so used to touching Joshua to soothe him, Aidan, that I don't know how to sooth a boy without stroking, petting, or hugging him!"

"Rhys, we just got here. Surely you're not going to leave without even attempting the assignment?" Aidan asked, striding forward to Alexandria's side. "I know Alex can't cook, but surely she didn't ruin the water she gave you."

Rhys smiled sadly. Szeren thought he'd never seen anything so beautiful in the entire world as the smile on his lifemate's face. As the blood in his body slammed up to his brain, down to his cock and then into his heart to pound furiously, he had to hold on to the crown molding on the wall. He sucked in a hard lungful of air, then another, and looked up to find Rhys staring at him curiously, his gorgeous blue eyes riveted to everything Szeren.

Rhys took a deep breath and seemed to steal himself for battle. Then he surprised everyone in the room by taking several long strides toward Szeren and stopped, putting a sturdy, over-stuffed armchair in between them.

"I wanted to apologize, Mr. Kizevicius," Rhys said, his voice surprisingly steady and clear. Szeren realized that he could just sit down on the floor and be very happy listening to Rhys read from restaurant menus or clothing catalogues, as long as he could hear his voice.

"What for?" Szeren asked, his throat very dry.

"I'm going through some... personal things right now, and I had no business bringing them to your door. I'm very sorry if I offended you."

Szeren just slowly shook his head. Rhys edged closer to the large blond Carpathian.

"I've had the same recurring dream now for the last eight years," Rhys said, softly, staring up at Szeren, his heart in his eyes despite his words, "and you look exactly like the person in that dream. It's uncanny, really, and a little weird."

Rhys forced himself to take three large steps away from Szeren. It hurt Aidan just watching the boy do it, and Szeren too, looked pained with every step away from him that Rhys took. His fingernails bit roughly into the molding on the wall, as if the wall were the only thing keeping him steady and in one place.

"I can understand you getting upset about the whole thing," Rhys said, now looking at the floor, the wall, at anythingbut the beautiful blond man who was still looking at him with that odd expression. "I mean, what you do or like is none of my business, and it was inappropriate for me to behave the way I did. The point is that I shouldn't have let a personal problem interfere with my work, and I'm very sorry."

Rhys now carefully shifted his darker blue eyes to Szeren's lighter, icier blues and had to take a slow, deep breath as his heart suddenly started racing. The man was just too gorgeous, too breathtaking, to be real! He tried not to tremble, but was afraid he failed miserably. Turning back to get his laptop, he picked up the case and slung it over his shoulder as he turned toward the doors.

"If you still want me to try and find your family's heirloom, I'm happy to do the work. If not, then I'll head over to Amsterdam." Because I obviously just need to give in and get laid, Rhys thought. Mindless sex would surely fix this problem.

The tiny hairs on Rhys's neck stood straight up as goosebumps shot down his arms, the hairs there rippling up in a wave as he registered the low, threatening growls coming fromdirectly behind him. Hot, moist breath puffed across the nape of his neck and made him shiver as he froze in place, terrified. He took several more deep breaths, then slowly turned to find Szeren standing nearly on top of him.

"Are you...growling at me?" Rhys asked, the dark red slash of his right eyebrow flying up.

"Who is in Amsterdam?" Szeren asked, forcing the words out from between his clenched teeth. He'd caught his young mate's thought, that he'd go to the city of debauchery and sin for mindless sex, and Szeren hadn't even remembered approaching him. He was just suddenly standing right behind the young human, trying desperately not to grab him, pull him up against the throbbing, pounding need of his body and claim him with hands, mouth and cock, because he'd be damned if anybody else touched what was his. And Szeren knew, standing here with less than a hand's span between their bodies, that Rhys was absolutely, totally His For All Time.

Rhys could feel the waves of lust and desire pouring off the larger man. Good god, he was actually gettingimages of what the man wanted to do with him! Rhys tried to throw a block up, but it was too late. His breath sawed in and out of his lungs, heart racing, those incredible, erotic pictures flashing behind his eyes as he got light-headed with the need swirling between them. Rhys couldn't tell anymore if what he was feeling was his own need or Szeren's; it all felt the same when they were this close. Rhys grabbed onto the back of the chair to try to keep his feet, arching his back as he panted like a little cat in heat, his eyelids fluttering as the heat from Szeren's body nearly scorched him.

123456...9