Dark Temptations, Dark Desires Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"And you call me arrogant," Cortana said with a huff, setting her drink down. "Alright mister know it all. I'm hot and I know it[M42] . So what?"

"That's everything, isn't it?" Locke asked. "You have a big ego, and you know that you can have any man you wanted. A girl like you doesn't have to settle and doesn't want to settle. You think you're the best woman around, and I think you are, but you also only want the best. You'd never date a marine or a civilian. Only a Spartan would do, and even then, only the best Spartan you could get your hands on. For years you thought it was John, and that's why you're with him."

"You think that's what my entire relationship with John boils down to?" Cortana asked him. "Something that shallow?"

"Not the entire relationship," Locke admitted. "But I bet it's the foundation. It's the entire reason you picked him, isn't it?"

"I picked him because he was lucky," Cortana shot back.

"And if that luck were to go away?" Locke asked. "If it turned out there was a Spartan better than him? Yes, I think you have more of Halsey in you than you care to admit, Cortana. You don't settle for second best."

Cortana's cheeks flushed, but this time she was not blushing.

Her head was a swirl of contradictory emotions. It was more that she didn't want him to be right rather than knowing he was wrong. Yet, deep down, Cortana knew that he wasn't. Was it not one of her fantasies to have John fuck her in front of a bunch of inferior Spartans? Had she not done exhaustive research on each individual Spartan II prior to picking him on Reach?

No, Locke was right. He was more right than Cortana wanted to admit.

"Anything else?" Cortana asked, keeping her voice as steady as possible.

Locke thought for a moment, swirling the ice in his empty glass. "Well, you are the type of woman that likes to tie her boyfriend up and make him watch as a real Spartan does his job for him."

Cortana had made the mistake of taking a sip before he started speaking. She struggled to keep the mojito down as a fit of laughter threatened to overtake her. Locke chuckled warmly as Cortana struggled to catch her breath.

"Is that really how you see what happened on Genesis?" she asked, half laughing half coughing.

Locke shrugged his shoulders. "It's one interpretation."

Cortana shook her head and chuckled. "Well, you are creative. I'll give you that." She lifted her glass and extended it to Locke. "I think that deserves another toast."

Locke waved his hand at her adamantly. "No, you can't do that."

Cortana looked confused. "Do what?"

"Try to toast with an empty glass. It's bad luck."

"Oh, I see," Cortana said, lowering her glass. "And you're trying to get lucky tonight huh?"

"That's the whole point, isn't it?" Locke asked. He waved his hand at the bartender, but the man either didn't see him or decided to ignore him. Locke's face screwed up in annoyance, but Cortana placed a hand on his shoulder.

"Let me," she said, smiling brilliantly.

Cortana leaned over the bar as far as she could, making sure her cleavage was showing as much as possible. When she waved her hand, the bartender gave a sideways glance down at their end of the bar. He then did a double take, and Cortana saw his pupil's go wide. She grinned mischievously at Locke as the bartender strolled towards them at a pace much faster than a walk.

"Is there any way I can help you ma'am?" he asked, though he was not exactly looking her in the eyes.

"Yes," Cortana answered sweetly. "Me and my friend want two more mojitos. On his tab if you don't mind." Cortana placed a hand on his forearm. "And make it fast please. You don't want to keep a girl waiting, do you?"

"Certainly," the bartender said, nearly sputtering. "Uhh, right away."

He left as quickly as he came. Cortana stole a few knowing sideways glances at Locke as she watched the bartender make their drinks. In less than a minute he had slid it out to them.

Cortana gave him a wink. "Thanks sweetheart."

The bartender mumbled something under his breath before hurrying off.

"What?" Cortana asked when she noticed Locke staring at her.

Locke just shook his head. "You're an incredible woman."

"Well that's something to toast to," Cortana smirked. "To me being incredible."

"I can toast to that," Locke agreed, clinking his glass with Cortana.

The second drink was even better than the first. Cortana's entire body was a warm glow, and her head buzzed delightfully. "Alright mister know it all," she said. "Since you seem to know so much about me, I think it's only fair that I guess a few things about you."

Locke made a supplicant wave of his hand. "Guess away."

"Alright," Cortana said, staring at him for a few moments. Or perhaps a few minutes. He was very easy to stare at.

"This has as much to do with John as it does with me," Cortana said finally.

Locke raised an eyebrow. "Does it?"

"You admitted as much yourself," Cortana continued. "You're a competitive person, and right now you're competing with John to see who can be the best Spartan. Now, for most people that sort of rivalry would only exist on the professional level, but not you. No, for you beating John professionally isn't enough. You have to humiliate him. Take everything that is his for yourself. It's not enough for you to win, but John has to lose. You must show him to be a complete failure, and that includes me. You're not just a winner, you're a conqueror. You take what you want."

Now it was Cortana's turn to lean back on her stool, gifting him with a smug smile. "It's like you said. You don't want to just sleep with me, you want to steal me. You want to convince me that you're better than John in every conceivable way, because if I can be convinced than everyone else will as well. I am, after all, John's biggest advocate. I'm the trophy that lets everyone else know that he is the best Spartan, and because of that you want me for yourself."

Cortana cocked an eyebrow. "Well, how did I do?"

Locke took a deep breath, and Cortana took pleasure in how obviously unamused he was by her little rant. "Not bad," he said finally, and Cortana smirked.

He then leaned forward until their faces were within inches of each other, and once again Cortana was immediately aware of just how overpowering his presence was. Locke dropped his voice down to a whisper. "Maybe that is all true, but do you know what else?"

"What?" Cortana whispered back, chills running through her. He was so close, and his lips were so inviting. All she would have to do was lean in ever so slightly.

Locke grinned. "You like it." He then leaned in even closer, moving to whisper in her ear. She could smell the cologne on him, drenching her in a masculine musk. Her knees began to tremble as he whispered again. "And you and I both know that if you thought for a second that I was the best you would drop John like a rock. Admit it."

Cortana swallowed hard. It was difficult to think. A large part of her wanted nothing more than to grab Locke by the shirt and kiss him with everything she had.

Remember the plan. Stick to the plan.

Cortana whispered in his ear. "Maybe I do," she said. There was no point in denying it now. Even a blind man could see how aroused she was. "Maybe I would, but I'm never going have to worry about that. You're pathetic compared to him."

Perhaps it was not the speech she had planned, but it worked well enough. Cortana easily pushed Locke away with the flat of her hand, then promptly stood up.

"Thank you for the drinks Jameson, but if you don't mind I have a real Spartan to get back home to."

Cortana turned her heels and stormed off, not trusting herself to look back at him.

If she did, Cortana was not sure that she wouldn't go back to him.

12