Dark Travelers Ch. 01

Story Info
Sisters are stalked by something unseen.
10.1k words
4.55
38.6k
53

Part 1 of the 12 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 10/22/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
GinaTina
GinaTina
256 Followers

1.

GlenShadow was an unremarkable settlement in many ways. Its inhabitants were set up much like the larger realms surrounding it. There was the picturesque forest encircling it with a large river rushing through. The river ended in a grand waterfall that cascaded into the sea and was one of the more famous landmarks here.

There were the wealthy merchants and Nobles who usually took up residence in the high class neighborhood, namely around the palace where the King and Queen resided. The people were divided into familiar classes from there; the moderately wealthy, farmers, craftsman, thieves, beggars and the poverty-stricken.

There were subtle but marked differences as you traveled through the different social structures of this modest village. The area would grow less fancy and more threadbare as you walked towards the outer edges of town. Finally you would arrive at the outskirts; less civilization, more farmland and the trees grew thicker. Any further and you would be in the deep woods, the Forest Folks territory.

The citizens of GlenShadow were mostly human. Here and there, especially in the marketplace, you would happen across an elf or dwarf peddling some exotic wares from far away lands. This, however, was rare. Most of the Forest Folk avoided human cities. Those who did visit sold their valuables and then left quickly.

It was a time of peace. There hadn't been an attack or a war to help fight in many decades. It was one of the few perks of being such an ordinary place...no one was interested enough to conquer it. Arguably, it was a much safer, albeit humdrum existence.

There were small accomplishments, however, please do not misunderstand. GlenShadow Falls was a hot-spot for the locals as well as traders. Many events took place there. It was a lovely area enhanced by the sound of the waterfall and tang of sea in the air. The fishing was excellent and being so close to the sea it was easy to collect salt, a valuable commodity sold to travelers who did not come across it very often.

The visitors who passed through in turn told others and so GlenShadow became a popular trading site. This encouraged the townsfolk to bake and sell delicious home-made goods, craft colorful novelty trinkets for souvenirs, and put on various entertainment to attract customers.

Past the clearing where festivals were held, a naturally occurring twisting passage took you down an incline and behind the falls. This unassuming path had been discovered ages ago by the town's first inhabitants. A small tunnel had been carved into the side of the stone wall and out the other end. Here, a staircase of stone had been painstakingly etched into the mountain side leading to the beach below.

It had taken many, many years to finish. Its initial purpose had been to save themselves from having to make the long journey around the mountain to the ocean. All in all, it now only took them a half hour's walk rather than three days.

Nevertheless, tales were told and passed once again, and many people came to see the Path Through Stone. The tourists still marveled at how long it must have taken these people to carve through solid rock and appreciated the short, pleasant walk to the sunny beaches. S

hallow Cove was a small slice of paradise. A rock pool of clear blue water lent the people a lovely view of various sea-life the ocean had to offer. The fishermen jealously guarded their chosen sweet spots, and their catches sold readily in the market, providing the village with yet another means of income.

Altogether, GlenShadow was a small but bustling community with the best of all things combined; beach front, forest floor, open farmland, and city living. Crime was infrequent but not out of place, and included pick-pocketing and thieving in general.

This was not out of the ordinary, where there were people there would be criminals. Violent crime was out of the ordinary though. But very rarely was there anything worse than a street fight between a few of the young men. Sadly enough, murder did occur once in a while, but the perpetrator was usually caught and punished swiftly. And in GlenShadow the severity crime was directly related to the severity of the punishment.

The King's soldiers were few, but well-trained and very efficient. When vacationers and merchants dropped in, so did their gold and goods...a fact not lost on by the King. He made certain that his people and visitors were generally well protected.

It was nearing the end of Summer. The days were noticeably shorter and the leaves had just begun their colorful change. GlenShadow's occupants began to think about preparing for the coming cold season. It was almost harvest time of the Spring Crop, soon it would be time to prepare and plant for the Winter Crop.

If all went according to plan, the storaged crops from the early season would hold them over until it was time to harvest again. A good system, tampered only when there was a bad yield.

Quite often, this was due to some pest outbreak or unusually bad weather. Luckily, there were some plants that grew during the cold season as well, so an abundant variety of grown food was ordinarily on hand.

Anya and Andi were just getting home from their weekly foray into town. To say they lived on the outskirts was an understatement. In fact, they lived more in the woods than out. Their cottage was comfortably enclosed by the surrounding trees. Not that it was entirely engulfed, but certainly beyond the town limits to be sure. The nearest neighbor was a lone farmer, half a mile away.

As it was, the journey to market took several hours alone. In the far distance, GlenShadow Falls could be seen from the front yard. It was quiet and cozy. The trees made an excellent sunshade, the little house was covered by mottled shadows, never in direct sunlight. And although the trees lost their leaves when the snow came, the canopy made a serviceable snow shield as well.

It hadn't been Anya's idea to build the cottage so far from town, it had been her parents. But when they'd passed on from some mystery sickness, she found she couldn't bear to move away from her familiar home. Besides, there was a garden and orchard to care for and she simply couldn't afford a new dwelling. It hadn't been feasible to relocate at the time. And, well, as time passed she'd just never gotten around to it.

She had to admit though, that she preferred the quiet and solitude of undisturbed nature to the busy hustle bustle of town. She'd never been much of a socialite. People tired her out and when she did participate in a Fair or whatever else, mostly to subdue the pleas of her younger sister, she'd need several days to recharge.

"Anya," Andi panted. "Wait up. Come onnn..." the girl whined.

Anya paused and half turned, waiting for her younger sister to catch up. She was anxious to get back into the house. The sun was almost gone and night was swiftly approaching. It was wise to be indoors when it got dark.

She could just make out the familiar cabin at the other end of the meadow. It had taken longer than normal to shop for provisions today. Andi had started her monthlies and was moving a bit more slowly than usual, she had complained of cramping earlier and was dragging her feet.

"Hurry. It's getting dark. I'll make you some tea to help with your pains as soon as we get inside." Anya ushered her sister along the rest of the way, ignoring Andi's fussing.

The two stopped short when a figure rose to greet them at the front door. Anya tensed, then relaxed as she recognized who it was. Visitors were few out here, but there were certain regulars. This one was a pleasant, if not a bit aloof, female Wood Elf named Miri.

"Salutations, Anya and Andi," she began courteously. "I do apologize for the late calling but I figured you would be back before this time. You usually are when you make your journey into town. Anyhow, I wondered if perhaps you had any eggs you'd care to trade for?"

Anya raised both eyebrows, surprised that Miri would bother know what day she traveled and what time she returned home.

She said nothing of this though, only nodded, "of course. I always have plenty to spare."

She kept half a dozen laying hens in a small coop and run in the backyard. It was next to the little garden and fruit trees. The hens laid more than enough eggs for just the two of them, and whatever was left at the end of the week got sold at the market or traded.

Miri nodded politely and followed Anya around the back of the house. Anya waved away Miri's offer of coins for the eggs. "I've all the supplies I need for now. These would only go to waste if you didn't take them. No, really," she continued when Miri insisted.

"My thanks, human. You are very tolerable for your kind." Anya again raised an eyebrow at the dubious compliment earning a smirk from Miri. The elf then noticed the younger sister lurking in the kitchen doorway.

She observed for a moment and then gave Andi a knowing look, "perhaps the young one would like some herbs to soothe certain pains? It is grown by us in the deep woods and works very well. And it would make me feel better to give something in trade. I dislike being in ones debt."

Andi flushed self-consciously, "how did you know I was-"

Miri smiled kindly, "your posture and expression leave little to assumption. And you're holding one hand against your middle."

Andi reddened further and quickly dropped the guilty hand that was indeed pressed against her belly. The blush made the light smattering of freckles stand out on her cheeks. She mumbled something about going to start some water to boil and quickly ducked inside the back entrance pulling on a strand of her blonde hair.

Miri inclined her head at Anya questioningly, not understanding the girl's behavior.

Anya gave a shy grin and shrugged, explaining as she went back to egg collecting, "It's embarrassing for human girls at her age to have their menses noticed."

The elf's ears drooped slightly and she appeared dismayed, "I meant no harm. I did not mean to shame her. Perhaps I should apologize."

Anya waved it off and smiled wryly, "it really isn't necessary. You said nothing wrong. But maybe it would be good to leave some of those herbs with me, it'll probably help her moodiness too. And we'll call it even for the eggs, deal?" She handed Miri a small basket with over a dozen eggs nestled within it.

Miri accepted the basket, obviously pleased, and nodded in agreement. She rummaged around in a small pack and eventually came up with a wrapped parcel. "The leaves in here should be boiled along with the water rather than placed in after. When potent, the water will turn a dark burgundy color. I thank you, Anya. I shall call on you again in the future I'm sure. Tell Andi farewell...with my apologies."

Anya waved and watched as the elf gracefully leapt onto her mount which had been waiting patiently by the outer edge of the forest. Miri half-turned in the saddle and tossed the human woman a considering glance, "it's not my place to pry, human, but if I may offer some advice?" When Anya nodded she continued, "you should vary your schedule throughout the week. It isn't difficult to keep track of your comings and goings. You may also wish to procure a dog of some sort. Just as a precaution. Dogs give warning when strangers are about."

Anya appeared startled, "are there unfriendlies around here? That's odd. Should I be concerned?"

Miri looked vaguely uneasy. "Nothing that my people can be certain of. Odd occurrences in the deep wood. Animals are acting a bit off. There have been sightings of two or three strange beings traveling through."

"Strange beings? Are they...dangerous?" Anya swallowed nervously and glanced around at the darkening trees. She suddenly felt a bit isolated.

Miri gestured towards the woods, "keep a watch out. And think about getting a dog to protect yourself and your charge in there. You should be safe enough among the humans, Feylak usually do not wish to mingle with such brutes. Present company excluded, of course. I must go now, Anya. Until next time."

She watched the elf lightly kick the sides of the horse and the two were swallowed up by the dense thicket before long. Anya mulled Miri's words over with an uneasy sense of foreboding.

Feylak? Here?

The wicked elf-like creatures had not been seen in many years. And they had not made contact for even longer than that. For two or three to be around here was unsettling, at best. Tales of them had been told and then exaggerated and passed down from long ago.

Anya had only gotten wind of a few of them, but from what she'd heard Fey were most certainly a group to avoid if at all possible. She bit her bottom lip and chewed it lightly for a moment or two before giving the darkening trees one last doubtful look. With that, she quickly turned on her heel and let herself into her home, locking the doors and windows.

2.

"What's with you?" Andi asked, watching her older sister fretfully peeking out at the night through a curtain. The girl sipped the odd-tasting tea Anya had made for her with a slight grimace. "You're acting weirder than normal."

"How does one act weirder than normal? How is it normal to be even a bit weird? Your question makes no sense. Drink your tea," She replied absent-mindedly, still peering through the window.

Andi slouched back into her chair and scowled over her mug. Leave it to Anya to analyze the simplest of questions. She sipped it again with less of a face, once you got used to the flavor it really wasn't all that bad.

Andi was used to Anya's cautious ways, but sometimes she wished her sister would just loosen up a little bit and enjoy life. She was always so serious and quiet, just like an old, old lady. And she wasn't! She was only three years Andi's senior.

Andi just couldn't identify with that sort of behavior. Life was just beginning to get interesting! Her body was changing pleasantly and boys were beginning to take notice of her. Lately she'd been trying to figure a way to convince Anya if they could maybe go into to town more often. The few friends she had made she rarely got to see. None of them really wanted to make the trek all the way to her home, and Anya was hesitant to leave the house to mingle. Life was so unfair sometimes.

And really, why would Anya want to stay at home alone all the time? Wasn't she lonely for company? Didn't she want to maybe have a boyfriend or husband one day? She was certainly pretty enough. Andi sometimes wished she had Anya's shiny chestnut hair and hazel eyes. Not that her own wavy blonde hair and blue eyed combination was unpleasant, oh no. Not at all. In fact, Andi loved the way she was starting to look.

The little girl look was finally fading and she was turning into a woman. At long, long last. And she was determined to start making the most of it.

"Anya, how about we go to town again tomorrow? There was a cute boy at the fruit stand that was flirting with me...and we could go back to see the leather-maker. He so has a crush on you. Please? We never go anywhere. It'll be fun. We can get lunch and go to the falls." Andi perked up and gazed at her sister hopefully.

Anya shook her head, "there's no reason to go-"

Andi cut her off, "we don't need a reason to go! Let's just go to get out of the house. When was the last time we just went somewhere to have a good time? I can't even remember. It'll be good for us. You especially. You're always worrying about everything too much."

Anya was surprised that she could not fault Andi on her logic this time around. It had been a long while since she'd just gone out for adventure's sake. And there were really no chores that were urgent, most could wait. And the Summer Harvest Festival was going to be starting tomorrow. She gave a half smile; she hadn't been to a Festival for quite some time.

This encouraged the girl to continue, "see you do want to go out! Hooray! Finally! Is that a yes?"

Anya relented, "I suppose we are due for an outing. Why not? We could go to the Festival if you wanted, or are you too old for such things now?"

Andi leapt out of the chair, beaming. "Are you insane?! I love fairs! Festivals! Parties of any kind, really! Can we leave early so we can spend as much time as possible? All right! Thankyouthankyouthankyou Anya!" She rushed Anya and crushed her in a bear hug, seemingly oblivious to any discomfort now.

"My ribs! You're squeezing too tight," Anya gasped, but smiling all the same.

She loved seeing her little sister so happy. She managed to wrench herself free and gave Andi a playful shove towards the washroom. "Go get washed up and into bed then if you want to leave at first light."

"Woo hoooooo," the girl hooted as she sped down the hall and into the bathroom, slamming the door behind her.

Anya watched her go with a bemused expression. As soon as the door closed, however, the worried look fell across her features once again. Miri's words of caution echoed in her head. Maybe tomorrow she would surprise Andi with a puppy. There was almost always someone looking for a home for a litter of pups. And the girl's birthday was in a couple of months. Yes. A puppy sounded like an excellent gift.

It was a chilly morning. The two sisters had eaten a light breakfast for the longish walk. Anya had insisted despite Andi's objections.

"Can't we just go? There'll be plenty of food at the fair," she'd asked, reluctantly nibbling on a piece of toast.

Anya had shaken her head, "you need something in your stomach for the walk. You'll work up an appetite again, I'm sure. Now eat. The sooner you're done, the sooner we can leave."

Now she wondered if she hadn't made an error in doing so. Andi was bursting with energy and she was having a slightly difficult time in keeping up with the younger girl.

Sometimes she wondered why she was lacking in as much enthusiasm as Andi seemed to possess. Was it because they simply had different personalities? Or was it because she'd had to grow up much more quickly since the death of their parents? Maybe a combination of the two? Whatever it was, Anya often felt much older than her twenty years.

She heaved a small sigh and shrugged off her misgivings. This was going to be a good day. A day just for fun and nothing else. And there was nothing at all wrong with that. So why did she have this nagging, guilty feeling deep inside her gut?

"Hurry up, Anya! At this rate it'll be getting dark when we get there and you'll wanna turn around and go right home!" Andi was several yards up ahead tapping her foot impatiently.

Anya obligingly picked up her pace, trying to ignore her disquiet. Surely it was just because she hadn't let herself relax and have fun in so long.

Of course it was.

She pulled her light jacket around her a little more tightly and stomped her booted feet a bit more than necessary, trying to warm her toes. She could see her breath appear as a light fog with every exhale. The season was definitely beginning to turn. She let herself think about what she would have to do to prepare the cottage for winter. Imagining ways to be productive eased her.

Andi knew that look. It was how Anya appeared right before she doled out some heavy chores. Wonderful. "Stop it right now."

Anya paused abruptly, surprised. "Stop what?"

"Stop thinking about working. I can tell. Do you even know how to have fun?"

"Of course I do. And I was not thinking of chores. For your information I was going over our daily schedule-"

Andi held up one hand, "no. Nuh-uh. No schedules or planning today. We just let whatever happens happen, ok? Besides, you never know what the day will bring. Planning stuff is dumb."

"'Planning stuff is dumb.' I see. I shall have to quote you on that. When you get older, you'll realize that sometimes you must pla-"

GinaTina
GinaTina
256 Followers