Dark Travelers Ch. 06

Story Info
A surprise attack, an unexpected foe and the game continues.
12.9k words
4.77
23.3k
23

Part 6 of the 12 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 10/22/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
GinaTina
GinaTina
256 Followers

Author's Note: I'm so glad you enjoyed Chapter 5. I have to admit I like writing this a little more than is probably healthy - but who cares.

All comments have been read and re-read. Critiques and suggestions are also taken to heart. Do feel free to offer your opinions as you see fit - if you have an idea for me, please share.

Mother and baby are doing well. I've established a schedule and I'm beginning to adapt. She's starting to sleep for longer intervals now - thank GOD. I've named her Riley, for those who've asked. :>

Thank you again for the votes and in-depth comments. I appreciate them very much.

As a reward for your patience; here is a nice, long read. I hope you enjoy this chapter as well, I believe a few people will be relieved and I'm actually quite curious as to how I did. ;)

Until next time,

Ginnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnna!

_______________________________________

15.

After almost another full day of hiking with minimal stops, the women were again exhausted. Andi dozed on her feet, her eyes drooping shut with every other step. Anya's head bobbed on her neck, and she had to consistently force her eyes open and focus on staying awake.

"You look like you're going to drop dead at my feet, woman" Kirik commented dryly.

"Thanks," came the muttered reply.

"Stop. Rest. You've done well today," he said.

Anya slowed to a halt gratefully. She was tempted to drop exactly where she stood but reconsidered when she remembered the tide. Reluctantly, she turned and scanned the beach, scouting for a suitable place to lie down down for a while. Close by, preferably.

Andi had no such reservations. As soon as Anya stopped, she leaned against her sister and rested her head on the knapsack, eyes closed.

"Tch, move. I can't stand here while you sleep on me all night," Anya snapped tiredly, fatigue making her less than patient.

"Sorry," Andi mumbled, taking a step back.

"Nah, Sweet. I didn't mean it," she sighed, still searching around.

There was only sand and water, with a few assorted shrubs and bushes. Apparently they would be sleeping on the beach. It was not a favorable prospect. Anya was not looking forward to the sand that would no doubt find its way into every last wrinkle of her clothing. Heaving another deep sigh, she pulled Andi far up beyond the tide line and shrugged the pack off. She tossed Andi her water jug and another sweater for warmth. At the offer of crackers or jerky, however, Andi shook her head.

"I don't want any," she said, wrinkling her nose slightly.

"Eh, I know. Me either. Try and get some rest. I'm going to stay up for awhile and keep an eye out," she said with a meaningful look at Kael.

Andi felt her ears grow a bit warmer but only nodded in reply as she took a small sip of water. She pulled the extra sweater over her head and pulled her jacket over it. Anya offered her the pack for a pillow and watched as Andi curled up as best as she could. After a moment of observing her shivering, and being none too warm herself, Anya turned her attention to Kirik.

"Kirik," she said.

He turned, expression questioning, "yes?"

"We're freezing. Are you able to make another fire here?"

He seemed to think it over briefly before nodding. "You don't tolerate the cold very well," he commented, starting towards them.

"I guess we don't," she replied bluntly, still in a foul mood.

Kirik said nothing further, only took another small sphere from his armour, closed his hand over it, and murmured a soft phrase. Again, there was a strange sound and a bright flash.

Kirik tossed the now glowing ball in front of them and it burst into flame as soon as it hit the sand. The purplish fire had a hypnotic effect and Anya found herself staring into the flames, becoming a bit entranced. Waves of heat now radiated around them and she could feel it working into her numb limbs, comforting her. She held her hands out in front of her and rubbed them together vigorously.

For a time, there was only the sound of the sea crashing onto the shore.

"How did you do that?" She finally asked after a long silence.

Kirik had taken a seat a ways off and appeared to be watching the waves. "Do what, woman?"

"How do you make fire from rocks? How did you create that green light?"

He was unresponsive at first and for a moment Anya thought he'd gone back to ignoring her.

"It's novice magic. Most of my people are born with an innate ability for simple spells, especially those that create light and heat where there is none. The fire stones are sold at any market in my city and are fairly common," he replied after a bit.

Anya glanced at Andi. She appeared to be asleep. Satisfied, she returned her attention to

Kirik and was startled to find that he'd half-turned to watch her, eyes glowing. She swallowed nervously, unsettled as always by his intense gaze.

"Can anyone do it?"

Kirik considered. She seemed honestly intrigued and her innocent curiosity was rather pleasant.

He decided to indulge her, "what exactly is your question? Do you mean; can anyone cast spells? Or are you referring to our magic specifically?"

Anya drew her knees up and wrapped her arms around them. "Can anyone learn magic, is what I meant."

Kirik's expression was appraising, "I'm unsure about you humans; but among my people, yes. Some choose to go the way of sorcery and become quite adept at magic. Others commit to the path of the warrior and become formidable on the battlefield. And some go both routes and maintain a balance between the two. Quite often, offspring of the stronger sorcerers will follow in their parent's footsteps. The ability for spell casting can be somewhat genetic."

Anya was interested in spite of herself, "and you? What did you choose?"

Kirik turned to watch the water again, "I'm an accomplished fighter. I know a few spells, but magic doesn't come as naturally to me as it would to some."

"So, that's what you do then? You live to fight?"

He appeared to mull it over. "When I was Kael's age, yes. Also, I'm occasionally called on to ...question... the more stubborn prisoners. But what I live for, as you put it, is teaching our youth."

Anya raised her eyebrows. "You-you teach? What do you teach?" She asked incredulously.

A mental picture of Kirik at the head of in schoolhouse full of children, with an arithmetic book in his hands arose in her mind.

Kirik didn't answer. Instead, he pointed at Kael. The juvenile was still at the water's edge, only now he seemed to be practicing his swordplay.

Anya watched, amazed. The young male had both blades drawn and was simultaneously jabbing, parrying, slashing, kicking and somersaulting his way towards an unseen foe. He wielded the swords in near impossible synchrony, moving so quickly they seemed to be no more than a half-seen blur.

"He's improved remarkably. He was quite wretched when I first discovered him. Couldn't even hold a sword properly." Kirik commented with a hint of pride.

Anya was in awe; watching Kael's beautiful, vicious dance.

"And you taught him how to do all of that?"

"I did."

After a moment or two she shook her head slightly and frowned a bit. "You said you discovered him? I thought he was your brother."

Kirik nodded in affirmation, "he is."

She was confused, "then why would you have to discover him?"

"Our dam was less than maternal. I'd no knowledge of Kael's existence until I found him."

"That makes no sense."

"No?"

"No. How could you not know that your mother was pregnant?"

"She sent me off to my instructor's home when I was first able to hold a weapon. I spent the majority of my youth living there. I did not return to my dam's dwelling until many years later."

"She sent you away?" Anya was astonished.

"Yes."

"Why?"

"I imagine she couldn't be bothered with child-rearing."

"What about your father?" She asked, finding herself fascinated.

"I saw him once, but we've never spoken."

"So, how did you find out you had a brother?"

Kirik turned again. This time, he appeared annoyed, "you ask too many questions. I thought you were tired? Best sleep if you must. We're leaving at first light."

"She sleeps first," Anya replied, pointing at Andi.

"You're going to be sorry you didn't rest when you had the chance, woman."

"My name is ANYA," she said, an edge creeping into her voice.

"I know full well what your name is," Kirik replied, curling the corner of his top lip. "Woman."

"Why are you such a bastard? I've done everything you've asked of me. Can you not treat me with a little dignity? At least refer to me by name," she said, sounding upset.

"Prove to me that you are worthy of both dignity and a name."

Anya fell silent.

"Kirik," she said again, after awhile.

He let out a slow breath, "yes?"

"She's all the family I've got," Anya pointed at Andi.

"And?"

"And nothing. I just thought you may relate," she said softly, lying back next to her sister. "I'm going to sleep now. Goodnight."

An odd expression flitted across Kirik's features at her words. He didn't respond, but instead turned to watch Kael once more.

***

At sunrise, Kirik shook Anya awake. "Get up."

Anya grumbled and lifted a hand up to ward off whatever was disturbing her. When she felt cold metal under her palm, she frowned and opened her eyes. Kirik knelt over her, his hand still on her arm. She glanced over at it and another flush colored her cheeks.

"Get up," he repeated, and walked a short distance away, waiting.

She sat up and saw that Andi was still sleeping, curled up on her side. She'd buried her face in her arms leaving only a mass of unruly blonde hair visible. She nudged her sister until she could hear mumbles of protest start up.

Andi finally shifted so one eye was peeking up at Anya, "I'm so tired."

"Aye. We have to go now, though."

Andi whined a bit but didn't quite dare ask for five more minutes of sleep. Instead, she slowly climbed to her feet and brushed the sand from herself with exaggerated, annoyed movements. After, she dusted her hands off smartly and tied her hair back into a quick knot.

"What I wouldn't give for another hot bath, Anya. I HATE camping in general, and this is a thousand times worse."

"Perhaps you'll have a chance to wash when we reach the lighthouse," Anya replied, shrugging the bag's straps over her shoulders.

Andi shot her a dubious glance and swished her mouth out with some water. She pulled Anya backwards by the backpack and rooted around in it for a moment. "Stand in front of me," she directed, pulling out a clean sweater and trousers.

Kael had traveled quite a ways down the beach, exploring while the women slept. Now, walking back, he could see movement at the campsite. Looked as though they'd finally woken up. Those two needed to rest more than any other beings he knew. He saw Kirik beckoning him and Kael began to jog back, eager to get moving once again.

Andi changed quickly, with a small sigh of relief. The clean clothing made her feel much better than she had when she'd woken. Still though, she couldn't help but lament at the absence of a proper bath again.

"I'm actually beginning to miss the cave with the hot spring," she muttered as she stuffed the soiled clothing into the bag.

"Your turn," she told Anya and shook her head at the protests.

"Change, Anya. It'll make you feel better," she said firmly, sounding like the elder sister for once.

Andi stood in front of her sister as she reluctantly pulled on fresh pants and a clean, long-sleeved shirt. Kael was approaching from what appeared to be a rather longish walk. Upon arrival, he gave her a glance, eyes darting up and down her body momentarily. She glowered at this, lifting her chin defiantly and kept a sharp watch on the two males. Apparently, she needn't have bothered, they began to talk amongst themselves again, seeming to pay the women no mind.

Anya did have to admit that she felt better. She ran the brush through her hair and quickly fastened it back into a braid. She wondered if she ought to force herself to eat something, it'd been a while since the hare, but her stomach clenched painfully at the idea. As it was, she had to make herself to drink some water. It was far worse to become dehydrated than hungry. Busying herself with folding her old clothing, she knelt and put them neatly in the pack. Heaving a quiet sigh, she also pulled out Andi's balled-up garments and folded them as well.

Andi continued to watch Kael carefully, chewing her bottom lip. Over and over she recalled the way his hand had felt, sliding over the skin of her stomach. His palm had been calloused but warm. She was beginning to become a bit worried, thinking about how nice it had actually felt; and the fact that she wouldn't overly mind if he did it again.

She wondered what would have happened had Anya not interrupted at that moment. Her cheeks grew pink with the memory; she'd even had a dream about it last night. Only instead of his hand, it had been his tongue running over her belly. She shivered at the thought and felt a curious warmth as well as a soft throbbing sensation between her thighs.

"...to go now?"

Andi blinked a bit and shook her head, turning to look at Anya. "Ah, what?"

Anya gave her sister an inquiring glance, "I asked if you were ready to go now."

Kirik and Kael had apparently finished their conversation.

"Yes. Excellent question. Are you?" Kirik asked, striding over.

Andi mumbled a reply and nodded. Anya did likewise and gazed at the broad expanse of sand. They still had quite a ways to go. "Let's be off, then," she said, starting to walk and beckoning to Andi.

Andi, cheeks still red, snuck another peek at the younger male, before breaking into a trot to catch up with her sister.

16.

Water and sand. Sand and water. For miles and miles. Day three passed quickly, all four intent on their destination. The clouds had disappeared, and along with them, the chance of more bad weather. The sun brightened the womens spirits, but not by much, and there still wasn't enough heat to take the chill out of the air.

Anya focused on the sand in front of her. If she looked up, the beach would seem too vast and the journey too long. It was easier to concentrate on the smaller patch of ground directly ahead.

"Anya!" Andi had stopped to point.

Anya slowed and also came to halt. She peered ahead where Andi was was pointing. There. In the far distance she could just make out a tall, tower-like edifice. The lighthouse.

"Look, see?" She turned to Kirik and also pointed.

He stared silently then nodded, "that's where we go?"

"Aye. That it is. We should make it by nightfall," Anya said, rather relieved. It was still there, after all these years.

"Good. Keep going," he said, a trace of eagerness creeping into his tone.

Kael also paused to look. It didn't seem like a place where such a powerful wizard supposedly resided. A brief expression of doubt crossed his features before he also began to walk again. No matter. Kirik was right, as usual. This was the only lead they had. Best see where it took them. He hoped that this wizard would be able to translate that damnable code quickly, but he somehow doubted it.

"So, this sorcerer, who knows all, lives all the way out here? Alone?" He muttered to Kirik, sarcastically.

"We'll soon find out, it seems," he replied.

"Why would he want to isolate himself? Would he not want to show off his power?"

Kirik shook his head, "I cannot say. The woman said he doesn't care for visitors. I know nothing more than that."

Kael huffed, irritated, and didn't respond. Instead, he focused on the blonde girl just ahead of him. He entertained himself by imagining what she might have done if he'd taken his curiosity to the next level. Perhaps she would have begged him to stop and her eyes would have begun to leak that strange water. He frowned a bit. That idea didn't quite appeal to his ego.

Maybe she'd grow angry and fight him. Yes. That seemed more likely, based on what he'd seen of her personality thus far. His forehead smoothed out and he smiled, feeling a brief rush of arousal. Taming her might be rather enjoyable. He was willing to bet that she may even like it after awhile.

"Something amusing you?" Kirik asked, glancing over and cocking his head.

"Not at all," he lied. "Only grateful that we're almost there."

Kirik was clearly not convinced but said nothing more. He faced forward again and concentrated on the faint structure in the distance. His curiosity was growing with each passing step. He was interested in what sort of magic these simple people might be capable of. Perhaps these humans were a bit more intriguing than he'd first assumed.

"Oh, please let there be someone home," Andi mumbled to no one in particular. "Someone who will invite us in and insist that we have a hot bath."

"Aye. Also, he will be jolly, welcoming and more than willing to translate that message. And then he'll be able to snap his fingers and send us home in an instant." Anya replied, smiling wistfully.

"Oh, oh, and he'll want to avenge the way we've been treated. " Here, she turned and walked backwards, glaring at Kael. "And SMITE our enemies!"

He watched her for a moment then pointed to his cheek and then his upper chest, just below his collar bone. His lewd smile left little to assumption.

Andi turned around quickly, blushed, and said no more. Kael clasped his hands behind his head again as he walked, complacent satisfaction written all over his face. Seemed he had found an excellent way to keep her in line.

Not so smug now, are we, bitch? He thought with a snicker.

Kirik turned to him again, expression quizzical. "Going daft now, are you?"

"Name-calling is very immature, Kirik," Kael drawled, unaffected.

T

he elder shook his head and placed a hand on his forehead, sighing a bit.

***

The sun was setting. Anya stared at the radiant, golden-orange ball with a hand held up, shading her eyes.

Same color as his eyes, she thought dully.

She faced the group again, wondering what would happen now. Andi stood to the side, quietly, arms folded across her chest. She looked worn and upset. The two males stared up at the top of the lighthouse with identical, neutral expressions.

Anya realized that she was very disturbed by the sudden chaos that had become her life. Her days were no longer the comforting routine she'd had grown so accustomed to. Embarrassed to find her eyes welling up, she blinked back hot tears and examined the building in front of her.

At first glance, it appeared to be dilapidated and abandoned. There were no sounds coming from within and it had the feel of a place that had long been empty. However, upon closer inspection she noticed a fresh-looking patch job on the weathered front door. On the rickety porch sat an old rocking chair with a bright, new cushion. The small, scrubby bushes that grew in front were numerous, but trimmed carefully. All, subtle indications that someone did indeed reside here.

Andi frowned, wondering why they were just standing there. Taking the initiative, she strode up the the door and knocked briskly.

"Andi," Anya began warningly.

"Oh, what?" The girl replied testily. "We walked all the way here to just look at it, then? I want to go inside."

Anya shot a nervous look at Kirik. He was still staring upwards, as was Kael. They both seemed to be looking at something in particular

She followed their gaze, curious. "What is it?"

"Someone is watching us," he said, pointing up at a small window.

Anya squinted, unable to believe he could see anything behind such a tiny window so far up. "I don't see anyone."

Andi knocked again, louder this time. "Well, if someone is there, then they're going to let us in."

GinaTina
GinaTina
256 Followers