Dark Travelers Ch. 08

Story Info
On to new horizons.
6.6k words
4.71
17.3k
16

Part 8 of the 12 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 10/22/2010
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
GinaTina
GinaTina
256 Followers

Author's Note: It's me again! Shocked to see another chapter so soon? Well, I'd had a lot of it written already, hah! Surprise! :D Anyhow, I am glad you enjoyed the last chapter. This story is really starting to take off - it's even surprising me.

Thank you for your wonderful comments and votes. Keep them coming, please.

And I wonder, who is your favorite character so far? Favorite scene? Dialog? I am curious to know what you especially enjoyed.

Luv and thanks to you all,

Ginnnnnnnnnnnnnnnna!

____________________________________

Kael glanced around and then caught sight of Kirik standing off to the side, staring out over the horizon with his arms folded across his chest. The juvenile hung back, recognizing that his elder needed another moment or two alone. He was very familiar with Kirik's mannerisms by now; he'd been raised by him from boyhood, after all.

Kael often wondered about this. Among his people, it was an unusual thing for a lone male to take in a youngster that wasn't his own; or even one that was. Usually, the child-rearing was left completely up to the females.

Even odder was the fact that they were so close. Feylak society was vicious and unforgiving; the weak were quickly weeded out and disposed of. Siblings were normally extremely competitive with one another; deaths among children by children were common. Parents and offspring didn't usually share a close relationship either; living in such a harsh environment left no room for coddling.

Yet, Kirik had not only cared for and provided for the boy, he'd also transformed his younger sibling into a very effective warrior. The youngest to graduate as top pupil, actually. Kael's ego was well-founded as was Kirik's pride in the boy.

At times, Kael pondered what might have happened to him had his elder never shown up that day. It'd occurred to the youngster many times over that Kirik had probably saved his life. As he watched his older brother ruminating, he couldn't help but grin. He knew that deep down, Kirik cared for him; regardless of his callous nature. A fact which had saved his hide on numerous occasions. The youngster leaned back against the lighthouse, respectfully waiting for his elder to acknowledge him.

The older sibling knew the boy was there; he'd heard the door open. However, he wasn't ready to confront him just yet. Kirik was furious with him, and to look upon Kael's face right now would be entirely unwise. Unbeknownst to them both, they were sharing a brief mental connection; he was also remembering the day he'd found Kael. Time and time again he'd wondered why he had made such a decision. His mind began to wander further, returning to that day, all those decades ago...

There had been no answer. Kirik debated briefly before deciding to just go ahead and enter. After all, it'd once been his home as well. Many, many years ago.

The interior was cold and silent. There was no indication of anyone being home, presently. In fact, it seemed that no one had been around for several days. A slight dusting of frost had formed on various objects gathered on the table-tops. No servants bustled about, either.

He tilted his head, expression puzzled. Had she gone?

Kirik was undecided on what to do next. He really wasn't certain why he'd come at all. It wasn't as if he shared any sort of special relationship with the woman. In fact, he'd always assumed that she'd hated him. Why else would she have sent him awa-

His sharp ears picked up a soft rustling from down below. It was so slight, he would've easily missed it had there been any other sound in the dwelling at all. Was she in the basement? Why would she be down there? Was she hiding from him? It could be. He was well-known now. And they hadn't parted on the best of terms.

Kirik strode purposefully -and loudly- down the carved ice steps; his features set and determined. He half-expected his mother to be cowering in the corner, but there was no one. Only a few assorted crates and shelves that held forgotten possessions. He stood there, frowning. Had he imagined it? He wasn't usually given to an over-active imagination.

After a moment more of silent speculation, he turned to head back upstairs. It was the opening the boy had been waiting for. He'd seen the large War Master enter his home and had retreated to the basement to hide. Kael knew who he was and he also knew that he was severely outmatched. But, if the man did not know he was there, it might give him the slight chance he needed to defend his home.

After all, she'd left him. This was HIS place now.

Kael held the dagger awkwardly in his small hands and rushed out to bury it deep in the man's back. In a blink, however, the elder male turned and took hold of one of the boy's wrists, twisting it savagely. Kael let out a cry of pain but refused to let go of the blade. He pushed forward relentlessly, still desperately trying to plunge it into the adult.

Kirik was surprised at the level of ferocity of the attack. The child couldn't have been more than fifty or sixty years old at the very most. He glanced at the boy's eyes and saw murderous intent smoldering in their green depths.

Figuring he ought to end this little game, Kirik snatched the child's other wrist and flipped him easily, sending him crashing into the nearest wall.

Kael let out an agonized cry as his head struck the corner of a crate. His hands came up to press against the wound, finally relinquishing their grip on the knife. He rolled over to shoot the elder male a fierce glare, eyes brimming with white-hot hatred.

Kirik narrowed his eyes and curled a corner of his upper lip into a sneer at this. He strode over, kicking the dagger out of the boy's reach. "You're outclassed, waif. Why are you trespassing in my home?"

"This is MY home, elder! YOU'RE the intruder!" Kael snarled at him, outraged at the accusation.

Kirik arched a brow in surprise. "YOUR home? Where is your dam?"

A multitude of emotions flitted across the lad's face at this query; uncertainty, sadness, anger and confusion.

"Answer me, boy. Or I shall have to assume you're a street-urchin and dispose of you."

Kael glowered and reluctantly muttered a response. "She's been gone for days. But I don't care if she EVER comes back!"

This last was shouted in defiance; but Kirik saw deep hurt in the lad's eyes. A small suspicion began to form in his mind as he knelt in front of the young child. Kael tried to scoot back away, but he was already pushed up against the icy wall. He eyed the adult with apprehension, wondering if he was about to die.

"What was your dam's name, boy?" He asked.

Kael swallowed painfully and wondered why the War Master would even bother to ask such a thing. After a long hesitation he finally blurted out a name, "Milaena."

Kirik widened his eyes slightly and began to inspect the child a bit more closely. The boy's features resembled his own and the elder felt an odd twinge in his chest.

After another long pause, he said softly; "we share the same mother."

Kael raised his eyebrows in disbelief. Then, with dim hope, "do...do you know where she is?"

"I do not."

The child's entire posture drooped in defeat. "She left me all alone days ago. She didn't even tell me she was leaving. And now there is no food left."

Kirik felt that strange tightening in his chest grow a bit more pronounced at these words. His dam had sent him away at a very young age himself; too young, really. He'd also felt abandoned. His expression was appraising as he mulled something over. Finally, he seemed to come to some sort of decision and he rose.

Kael flinched back again, preparing for the worst. The War Master's reputation was a harsh one. Kirik made no threatening moves toward him, though. Merely narrowed his eyes and drew himself up to his full height, taking on his instructing persona.

"Tell me your name, boy," he commanded imperiously.

The child somehow managed to shrink back even more, completely intimidated all over again.

"K-Kael."

"A slight name for a slight whelp, very fitting. Gather what possessions you may have, if any, and come with me. You need ample training, boy. Your defense is pitiful, at best. You should be ashamed of yourself."

Kael's shock couldn't be any more apparent. He wasn't even sure if he'd heard the man correctly. When he didn't move, Kirik fixed him with a forbidding glare.

"Last chance to get moving, or I shall leave you here to starve."

The lad needed no further encouragement. He leaped to his feet and bounded up the stairs to his small bedroom; the War Master following closely behind...

Slowly, Kirik emerged from his reverie. "I'm very angry with you, boy."

Kael shrugged, relieved that Kirik had finally deigned to speak to him. This was usually a sure sign that he'd be forgiven soon. "I can see that."

"What are you thinking?"

The juvenile shrugged again, appearing unconcerned, "I don't see the harm."

"You are deliberately undermining me."

"You're being an ass. And it's a condition that's beginning to worsen as of late. I am starting to worry about you, brother."

Kirik finally turned to glower at his sibling, "this is not an outing. This is a mission. You seem to have the two confused. Now you want a pet? What next? An evening of theatre and drink?"

Kael offered a rude gesture with one of his fingers and smiled blithely, "sounds good to me. You're paying, though."

The elder Feylak swept his arm out towards the sea, "I should have drowned you long ago. Isn't that what is usually done with the runt of the litter?"

"I'm much larger now. Almost as big as you. Moreover, you'd miss me eventually. I know you would."

"I'd miss you like I'd miss a healed wound."

Kael's grin widened. Banter. Excellent. Kirik was thawing nicely.

Kirik glared at his sibling for a long moment; then one corner of his mouth twitched up ever so slightly.

The juvenile's relief was complete, "I apologize for my previous insolence, elder." He touched three fingers to his chest.

"Accepted. Keep that beast away from me if you know what's good for you."

Kael nodded, "I will."

Kirik nodded, "we leave now. Remember what I've said about your pets. BOTH of them."

"I will."

The elder turned back to gaze out over the sea, "good. Go gather them and get out of my sight."

"Thank you, elder." Kael said, bowing slightly.

***

Anya nodded towards the pack, "I've washed your things, why don't you go change?"

Andi still clutched Taters and appeared reluctant to put him down. Then, with a slight grimace, she remembered that strange, sticky goo that undoubtedly still tainted her skin. Suddenly anxious to be clean, she quickly set the puppy down and snatched the bag. Anya frowned again and began to inspect her sister once more.

"Are you SURE you're feeling well, Sweet?"

Andi paused in the doorway of the washroom. She turned and offered her sister another one of those peculiar, false smiles and nodded. "Yes, Anya. As well as can be expected, anyhow."

Anya nodded, clearly not convinced, but said nothing further. Andi quickly ducked into the bathroom and closed the door firmly. She undressed carefully and inspected herself in the mirror for damage.

The bite-mark on her shoulder was the most obvious wound against her otherwise unmarred skin. It was also the most painful.

There were eight puncture wounds in all; each opposite the other. These resided in the middle of a large, spreading, purple-black bruise. She touched one of these marks with her fingertip and winced. A flashback of the previous night materialized in her mind's eye; specifically, when she'd first woken and had found him doing...THAT... to her.

His mouth felt wonderful, didn't it? The head-voice suddenly chimed in.

She turned on the water and tried to ignore it.

He's going to do it again, you know. The voice sounded absolutely delighted at the prospect, issuing a dark, bubbling giggle.

Andi trembled slightly and began to give herself a quick sponge-bath using her night-shirt. As she got to her thighs, she noticed more bruising and dried blood on the insides of them. Cleaning this away as well, she flinched as the cold water stung a bit of torn flesh between her thighs.

Seemed he'd really worked her over. Her entire body ached, her legs especially. She examined them; still smooth from when she'd last used Anya's sticky wax. Andi regretted this; perhaps if she'd been hairy and unappealing, he'd have left her alone.

You know, he was actually rather considerate. I wager it could have been much more unpleasant.

"Shut-up," Andi muttered, wiping the last traces of his filth away.

Instead of quieting, however, the voice seemed to grow a bit more pronounced.

I'm afraid not. I believe we're going to be good pals, you and I.

She wrung out her wet shirt and swiftly pulled on a clean sweater and pants. Andi refused to answer. Talking back to voices in your head was something a crazy person would do, and she was NOT crazy.

Angrily, she yanked her hiking boots on and laced them tightly; only having to loosen them a moment later when her feet began to grow numb and tingly. In passing, she also noticed that she'd put her shirt on backwards.

"DAMN it," she hissed, eyes filling with tears of frustration. She heaved a sigh and it came out as a broken sob.

You need to pull it together, love. Quickly. There is no time for hysterics. Take a deep breath, and release it gradually. The voice said in a brisk, business-like tone.

Andi inhaled deeply, held it, and then let it out slowly. Indeed, she felt a tiny bit better. She set about correcting her mistakes and ran the brush through her hair, wondering why she was even bothering.

Why would she want to look nice when that would most likely only encourage him to-

Because you WANT him again. Isn't it obvious? You want his hands on you; caressing every inch of your skin. You want to feel him deep inside-

She bit her bottom lip and squeezed her eyes shut, attempting to block out the mental chatter. Slowly, the voice faded and there was quiet once more. Relief flowed through her and she quickly finished freshening up. Dimly, she heard the front door open and close again.

The puppy cocked an ear and glanced over to see who'd entered. He considered barking, but this place wasn't his home and he felt no real instinct to defend it. Taters, now feeling much perkier with a full belly, began to prance around in delight when he saw his new friend coming towards him and his found-again family.

Kael arched a brow when the creature jumped up on him with both front paws on his leg, but felt no urge to kick the animal away. Instead, he leveled a look over at Kirik's dark-haired witch and the sorcerer. The juvenile jerked a thumb towards the front door and waved them over with his other hand. Apparently, it was time to go.

Anya pointed at the bathroom door and then tapped her cheek. "I have to wait for-"

Kael snarled a single word out at her and pointed at the door again. Horace smiled slightly and cleared his throat. "Best go out. It doesn't appear he's in the mood for objections."

"But-"

"She'll be fine. Go on, these sort are not the type one should argue with."

Shooting an unhappy glance towards the washroom, Anya slowly started towards the door. "Andi!" She called out. "We'll be waiting outside for you."

"Alright, Anya," Andi responded, her voice muffled.

Kael remained, and Anya shot a suspicious glance at him. He caught this and glowered at her, his upper lip lifting in a slight snarl. She hurried out.

Horace hung back for a moment longer, inspecting the younger Feylak through his monocle. Another strange gleam sparked in his eyes, then faded. After a pause, the wizard made a show of shining his eye-piece and stowing it away in a breast pocket.

"You're a bit more talented at spell casting than your relation out there, aren't you? Yes, quite a bit more indeed. I wonder if he knows. Tricky, tricky, tricky young man."

Kael lifted his chin towards the door, glare deepening. He did not like this old human.

Horace chuckled under his breath. "You're really not much older than blondie in there, are you? Mentally, I mean. You lot age differently than humans do, that much I can recall."

Another snort of laughter. "I feel for your elder; dealing with a teenaged Feylak must be excruciating."

The juvenile tilted his head, puzzled, but the wizard said no more. He glanced at Kael one last time before striding out the front entrance. The puppy stayed put, sitting at the younger brother's feet. He'd no intention of going anywhere without his Girl. Kael felt much the same way. He stared at the washroom door, wondering what was taking her so long.

Andi was gazing at her side of the door much as the juvenile was. She was trying to will herself to go through it and follow the others outside, but her feet seemed to be glued to the spot. Hefting the pack over her shoulder, she made another attempt. This time, her feet cooperated and she pulled the latch, slowly easing the door open.

Kael stood there, smiling arrogantly as she appeared. "Hrrrrilaaaa," he purred, delighted.

She avoided his eyes and shifted uncomfortably, not wanting to walk past him. He beckoned to her, his grin almost kind. Still, she hesitated. Kael chuckled, took her arm, and began pulling her towards the door. Andi wrenched out of his grasp and shot him a resentful glare.

He seemed rather surprised for a moment but quickly masked it. Instead, his expression faded into one of disinterest and he merely pointed at the door. Andi glowered at him for a moment longer before stalking out with her nose held highly in the air; Taters hot on her heels.

22.

"We're all together again! I just love reunions!" Horace crowed as the trio finally emerged from his residence.

Kirik observed the younger girl curiously. She appeared no worse for the wear. It seemed that Kael had been telling the truth when he said he'd not harmed her. In fact, she had reverted to her haughty little rebellion; her posture indicating silent resistance once again. Kael did not seem pleased with this.

Anya, however, felt better. Perhaps Andi had just been tired and that would account for her odd behavior. She certainly looked like her normal self.

Andi offered Anya the pack then tilted her head, "did you want me to carry it for awhile?"

Anya accepted the bag and shook her head, "nah, Sweet. I can manage."

"If you'd like, I can put it with the rest of my belongings," Horace offered, gesturing to his satchel.

Andi tossed him a sardonic glance, "how would you do that?"

"Well, it's simple really. All I'd need to do is-"

"Silence," Kirik snapped. "Lead the way, old man. Where shall we go from here?"

Horace appeared insulted at the interruption and didn't reply. When Kirik began to snarl at him, he shook his head in exasperation. "Well, which do you want, then? Silence or an explanation? Make up your bloody mind!"

The elder managed to keep himself from wrapping his hands around the old man's throat and squeezing.

Barely.

The wizard relented. "We must charter a boat to take us to Wyvern Rock. It lies way out on open water. Seeing as their skins are quite valuable -I understand their scales make excellent armour- I imagine we can find a willing enough captain at Scoundrel's Harbor. We'll only need a few scales for the brew and perhaps we can offer another hide or two in trade for the service."

Andi brightened and appeared interested in spite of herself, "I've heard of that place! Daddy used to tell us stories about it. Remember the pirate stories, Anya?"

Anya nodded carefully but seemed less enthusiastic about it. "Father always told us that place is teeming with the wicked."

Horace nodded, "indeed. Hence the name." He glanced at the brothers, "I've a feeling we'll fit right in."

GinaTina
GinaTina
256 Followers
12