Darkness, Flames and Hopes Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Bernard... My old friend... You're one of the smartest people I've ever met."

Despite the backside of the assistant, Bernard shook his shoulders with disgust and remained silent. The damn man could think anything he wanted. It was his duty to find the criminals and he was absolutely enthusiastic. However, the Tailroad Temple was not sincere. He was even learning the teacher's past now. What else was the temple hiding and why were they hiding? That was the question that changed Bernard's enthusiasm with anxiety, and acting like a stupid was much smarter than turning to a headless corpse.

When Tim looked over her shoulder, Bernard wiped the anxious look on her face.

"I know what you're thinking. There's no reason to care."

He looked outside again. Bernard cleared his throat and tried to speak in a calm tone.

"Of course I care, brother. But why need me when Zaher was there-"

"Nine warriors!"

He quickly turned his body to him. Bernard frowned, he continued growling.

"We lost our nine comrades, Bernard. You know... I suggested you. Zaher? No. No, he just looks at the dead and mutters something. But you? Damn. I watched you. You discovered the camp of that fucking witchs from the direction the corpse fell! And you're telling me, you know nothing... "

His longing and admirable words didn't affect Bernard, but made him more angry. Why was the death of nine warriors attributed to this case? Another important piece of information that is kept confidential. They were calling a investigator from another kingdom and hiding information from him! No! He didn't even have to listen. He clenched his teeth and stood up so as not to swear, keeping his trembling eyes on Tim for a while. He threw his hand in his inner pocket and took out a single earring with the moon symbol, softly laying it on the desk.

"I found this at the scene. It must have belonged to a witch. The other one wasn't in there. Enchanted. Maybe it will help."

Tim grabbed the earring immediately, looked it for a moment, turned his face to Bernard with excitement.

"Now, hold your horses-"

"There were also fresh scars around the window on the second floor. Claw marks. Something entered through the window, but nonhuman. Maybe a cave hound, I don't know. Why did they try to enter both through the door and through the window, I don't know it either. But that's it from me. Tell Olven my apologies. I couldn't help more. Take care, Tim."

He turned away immediately to avoid controversy, took two steps toward the door, but the assistant barked from behind.

"Wait! God damn you, wait for me."

As Bernard took a deep breath in disgust, Tim quickly caught up to him, walking towards the door.

"You had questions to ask, right? You came to meet the deputy leader, right! Okay, come then."

Bernard grimaced as Tim opened the door for him. The damn temple wouldn't have let him go so easily. Now he had to do the same things and the same discussion with a much more authoritative person. Bernard was already feeling angry. What would he ask? What would he learn? Nine warriors... When Tim pointed at the door with his eyebrow, Bernard reluctantly left the room.

He immediately found the first face he was looking for. Ovyr was standing up, watching him with anxious eyes. Kowan also jumped up from the bench, but Bernard put his eyes on the neck of the assistant, who was walking fast into the quiet, desolate depths of the hallway. For a moment he wanted to turn back and take care of his son, but he didn't want to worry the young man any more. He wanted to think there is nothing to worry about, but it was stupid. Although he wasn't attached to that temple, every leader was equal for the warriors. And warriors for every leader. If the Tailroad Temple leader decides to punish him, the Weidenhold Temple could do nothing. He could be kept in jail for days. They could hold him for months to solve the damn case, and even... There wasn't much difference between nine and ten in a shit pit like Tailroad.

As Bernard sweated with terrible scenarios, Tim stood in front of a large two-door entrance guarded by the two warriors. He opened the door without knocking and surprised Bernard more. He hesitated for a moment, but five pairs of colorful eyes around the wide long table in the hall left him breathless. The man, who was sitting at the far end of the table, showing his authority, was at his age. His broad shoulders were covered with sun armor. His blue-sharp eyes fixed towards him. The plain white circle in the sun above his chest showed that he was a sorcerer. The other four were wearing gray and black simple but solid chinmails. There was a trace of boredom and deep hatred in all eyes. The face of the fat man sitting to Olven's right, covered with his red long beard and eyebrows, looked disgusting. In front of him was a skinny, young woman as pale as a corpse. Her jet-black eyes wasn't convey a clear feeling like Olven's. He recognized the face of the brown-haired, middle-aged man next to her. Miraed. The self-confident commander had managed his unit quite well in the adventure seven years ago, and he had impressed Bernard deeply. He didn't know the brunette face opposite him, but his disgusting, senseless grin said he wasn't worth recognizing for Bernard.

Even the hoarse, warm air of the hall was like an enemy to Bernard. As Tim noticed his discomfort, he firmly shook his arm and invited him in with her hand. Bernard took a deep breath and slowly took a few steps inward without taking his anxious eyes from the old man and put his fist on his chest like a damn newbie. He greeted them loudly as Tim walked towards Olven.

Nobody responded to his greeting, but Bernard wasn't in a good state to be taken anyway. Tim left the earring slowly in front of the deputy, leaned over his ear and whispered something to him for an annoying long time. When he finally stepped back and stood still behind Olven, Olven folded his hands on the table, smirked at Bernard.

"Welcome to our temple, brother Bernard. Please take a sit. There is an issue to discuss."

Our temple... Bernard took a deep breath and slowly pulled the farthest chair with his slightly trembling hand, sitting down. He greeted Miraed with his head before giving all his attention to Olven again. Thankfully, his greeting responded this time. The commander smiled slightly and twisted his bushy mustache. When he turned to Olven again, the deputy pointed the man behind him with his thumb without breaking his grin.

"I told him, if the answer is Seven Will, thank him and send him home."

It wasn't a question, but Olven started waiting for his answer. Bernard blinked his eyes senselessly and tried to recall the whole case.

"I... I didn't say it wasn't Seven Will."

Olven nodded and accepted his reply.

"You didn't say it was, either."

He stopped again and annoyed the investigator again. Bernard didn't even know what they were talking about. Olven spoke as if he knew who the criminals were, but why did they hide in the first place? Why were they not telling directly. Most importantly, why was he here and what was the purpose of this anxious meeting? He folded his hands on the table with discomfort, but when he realized that he looked like him completely, he clenched his teeth and untied his hands.

"I... With all due respect, brother Olven... If you know who were they... Why am I here?"

All eyes in the room left Bernard and turned to Olven. Apparently no one has a clue about what was going on except for the deputy and Tim. Olven twisted his lips, slowly picked up the earring on the table and wandered it around for a while.

"Two things, dear Bernard. First, It wasn't Seven Will. It was one of us. Second, it's not an investigation anymore."

While Bernard was frowning and trying to understand what he had heard, Olven dropped the earring back on the table and smiled widely.

"It's a hunt."

*****

Tailroad

Sindevear Village

"A human approaching!"

When they entered the muddy road of the village, the sun had completely disappeared. Trees had swallowed both sides of the road. The illusion spell didn't lose its effect, and Dimana didn't care about it right now. Far from the dark road, two humans and two horses forms were warming her brain. Minerva and Ambryn remained silent. Dimana wanted to hide behind the trees. The last time Minerva tried to speak, she had to create two corpses. The sorceress asked with a low voice.

"How close?"

Dimana didn't have to answer. Horseshoes began to be heard. The witch's accelerated audible breaths were reflected her discomfort. Her blue eyes turned to the sorceress.

"Let's hide!"

When Minerva shook her head, Dimana clenched her teeth. The bloody woman would create corpses again, and they would have left another mark. Dimana put her tail more in her slit just in case.

"Keep calm, I'll talk. Dimana. Ambryn. Keep calm."

When the two rider appeared in the dark, Minerva stepped forward and began to wait. Their faces were unclear, but Ambryn whispered.

"Scouts!"

Minerva didn't care. The moonlight was polishing the bald head of a middle-aged man. He had a long sword on his back. Four long spears were hanging in the saddle of his horse. The other man had a simple gray helmet on his head. His wide mustache was hiding his lips. The armors and capes of both was dark blue, and a yellow eagle emblem shone on their chests.

"Blessed evening, gentlemen!" Minerva greeted them loudly.

When the two horses eventually stood before them, the bald man leaned over the saddle and carefully observed all three.

"To you too, sister. Where are you going?"

Minerva folded her hands in front of her, smiling at them. The man with a mustache was completely focused on the burgundy eyes of Dimana.

"To Sindevear, good sir. I'm Serra Flakepier. My fiancee had said that his unit would reside on the Uhemer border."

As Ambryn whimpered, Dimana glanced at the sorceress' black hair. Her breath was trapped in her lungs. The two rider frowned at each other, the bald man asked again.

"Who is your fiance?"

"He's a warrior of the Light, sir. His mother was... Blessed yesterday, but frankly... I'm disturbed by the recent deaths. I can't sleep in peace. I know he won't come back for a long time. At least... I want to hug him once again."

When she wiped her nose with the back of his hand and bowed her head, everyone around her frowned at her. Nobody understood what the damned woman was saying, but the bald man sighed, straightened in his saddle.

"I guess your fiancé misinformed you, sister. The Light army haven't been through this path for a long time. At least you can be sure they're not in Sindevear."

Minerva suddenly raised her head, shook it slowly.

"But- But- He said he was going to Sindevear! Then they would cross the villages and hunt a few witches over there!"

As Ambryn took a deep breath, the scout raised her voice and stopped Minerva's words.

"As I said, Light Warriors' troops have not been through this path in a long time. I think your husband told you about an old operation. They hunted those witches a long time ago."

Ambryn bowed her head slowly, Dimana watched the woman with admiration. A sharp mind was stronger than any spell, and the sorceress had proved this with her small role. Minerva bowed her head again.

"Sorry, sir. If it's close- Sindevear- still want to look. If we could-"

The bald man pointed the way with his head.

"Not far, there aren't many places where you can take shelter this evening anyway. Who are your companions?"

Ambryn stared at him with her blue eyes, Dimana bowed her head. Minerva pointed at Ambryn first, then Dimana.

"My elder sister, Nevire. and Emelie is sister of my fiancee."

Emelie... Couldn't the damn sorceress think of another name! Dimana clenched her teeth, nodded her head without raising it. She could feel all eyes around on herself.

"Eyes."

The spooky voice didn't belong to the bald man. Dimana quickly kept all flames ready and slowly raised her head, staring at the man with the mustache. His face grimaced. Minerva broke the silence.

"My good sir, when she was a child-"

The bald man raised his voice.

"I'm sure she can speak. Can you speak, sister?"

Minerva looked over her shoulder at Dimana, nodded slowly. Her glowing blue eyes were encouraging enough. There was nothing to be afraid of. She had two powerful women with her, and any of these idiots would fall apart without harming her. Dimana put a weak smile on her face and raised her head completely.

"Yes, sir, I can talk. When I was a kid... I was kidnapped by witches, with my brother. They tortured us and... I don't know. They did something to me. Then they raped us for days. Imprisoned us. Then blessed protectors saved us. My brother... He joined them to take revenge and... To protect me. I was excluded by everyone. They called me a witch toy. A freak. A monster. They called me child of the demons. He was... the only one with me... and I am worried about him. He is... my everything."

She kept her eyes on the scouts that had been silent for a long time. She didn't even know what she was talking about, but she chose to be the child that the witch and the sorceress spoke about yesterday. She had empathized with a human and Minerva's weak smile was told her that she was successful.

The bald man nodded to her as his friend was stroking his mustache with his fingers.

"I reminded you of your painful memories, forgive me. Please keep moving, sisters. Sindevear is not far away. I hope you will meet your brother as soon as possible."

Minerva leaned slightly on them.

"Thank you, gentlemen. Thank you. Blessed evening."

After the long and striking farewell of the sorceress, the riders passed by, disappeared into the darkness while all three watching them over their shoulders. Minerva giggled, came over to Dimana and grabbed her arm, stroked it.

"You did great!"

"Why... Emelie?!"

"Oh... Just came to my mind."

The sorceress scratched her head with two fingers, turning her eyes to the witch who still looking back.

"I think your plot ruined, Ambryn."

The witch had anger and frustration in her blue eyes, shook her head slightly.

"There may be others. We'll have to be sure."

Minerva eventually left Dimana's arm and took a step towards the witch.

"Do you think this weak possibility is worth losing more time? I propose to turn back. Tomorrow morning. There is one more person I need to handle. I am sure he knows something about your guys too. Then we will make a new plan with the information we have. Of course... If you want to come with us."

Ambryn looked at the sorceress for a long time, began to walk unanswered. Whoever Sebra was, Ambryn had an interest in her other than helping the sorceress, and the woman could have been dead for a long time. In fact, that situation was much better for Dimana. Without wasting time, they would be hendle the other target and eventually they could go to the Eagle Mountains together. Minerva also said that she had three targets in Blackhorn. Which meant that even if she found the necromancer's soul, she would not destroy it and ask Dimana to help again. While walking with the sorceress after the witch, Dimana again thought about the real purpose of her.

*****

The scout had said it right, it wasn't a long journey. There was a small settlement two hundred steps away. Behind the short stone walls around the road were corn and sunflower fields. A gray dog attached to the back wall of a house was barking at them like crazy, but Dimana was sure she was the real target. Torches and lamps hanging in front of the doors illuminated the mud-filled street of the village. Dimana glanced at her hands. Her skin was still brunette and still disturbing her. Yet for the first time since Llevannar, she was going to a place where people were intense, and her new color would be very useful. She even deceived the two scouts, poor peasants wouldn't be a problem. Ambryn spoke as Dimana watched the two drunk men swearing at each other on the sidewalk.

"Follow me, I know a shop where we can find clothes."

The witch's voice was calm. Minerva nodded.

"Okay. How long will Dimana's illusion last?"

Ambryn glanced at the succubus, took a deep breath and slipped next to her. When she quickly put her hand on her face, Dimana winced without looking at the woman's blue eyes.

"Enough until night. No problem."

"Maybe... You have to cast an illusion on us too. I don't think we'll be recognized, but still-"

"I want to be recognized."

While Minerva frowning, Ambryn stepped out of the mud and climbed onto the wooden pavement. Increasing human forms caused Dimana to groan quietly. Behind every wall they passed was a human warmth. A man sitting on the pavement shook the wine bottle at them.

"Whoo- Hello there, my ladies!"

His voice was not strong enough to communicate. Like two other women, Dimana went on without caring about him. Wine was affecting people very much. Even without illusion, any succubus could easily seduce that miserable man. Dimana noted this ease in her mind.

Ambryn suddenly stood in front of a door and lowered the door handle. The door was locked, but a weak light from the window was illuminating the shop front. The witch punched the door several times quickly. When the door wasn't opened again, Minerva slowly walked to the window, bowed her head, checked inside. Dimana left the witch waiting at the door and came next to her.

"One human."

When Ambryn heard this, she grimaced and started kicking the door hard. Finally a male voice was heard.

"I'm coming, damn you!"

A rather short man opened the door and looked at them angrily with his brown eyes. One ear had completely burnt. His thinness was featuring his cheekbones.

"What is it, woman?"

Ambryn put her hand on the man's shoulder and pushed him in. Finally, when the door was fully opened, Minerva and Dimana entered the shop behind the witch. It was small place, but the colorful dresses that covered all the walls smelled of fabric everywhere. Minerva had a big smile on her face. Dimana put the bag on her back on the floor and closed the door. The shopkeeper grimaced, opened his mouth, but Ambryn raised her voice.

"Shut up, old man! Where is smallclothes?"

As he murmured and quickly ran behind the back, Minerva was checking two black and dark blue long dresses with a smile on her face. Ambryn put both hands on her hips and hissed.

"We're not going to a damn festival! Pick one!"

The sorceress turned to the witch without breaking her smile, raised the clothes in her hand.

"Which one?"

Ambryn pulled the black one quickly, checked the shop and ran into the dressing room, pulled the green curtain hard. Minerva muttered a curse towards the curtain, but smiled again when she saw a dark green robe. Suddenly she turned to Dimana, the brunette blinked with anger.

"Dimana! Which one?"

She really didn't care, but the dark blue gown would definitely suit the damn woman. The long, sharp collar seemed exactly made for Minerva's long neck. The gray patterns on the collar and on the ends of the long, wide arms were like pieces of flame. Dimana pointed the blue with her finger. Minerva glanced at the dress and smiled at her.

"Take it then. You like it, right?"

As Dimana opened her mouth to object, the short man returned with three sets of black and white smallclothes on his arm, headed to the counter.

"I just thought it would suit you!"

Ambryn stretched out one hand out of the curtain and waved it to Minerva.

"Give me one of those!"

Dimana licked her lips as she watched the witch's pale arm. She suddenly wanted to pull the curtain and bite the woman's slit. Her tail was still inside her quim, and tight panties were like torture. Minerva stretched a white panties and bra into the back of the curtain, turned to Dimana, waving the dark blue dress again. Dimana rolled her eyes and finally took it. At least she liked it. Her body was getting used to another necessity of a human being, and since her skin color changed she was completely like a human, except for her burgundy eyes and her tail.