Davy's On The Road Again Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This explanation was interesting and it did make me feel better (even though I privately thought it a whole lot of hooey). Also, the coffee helped. Amy continued to rub me and she whispered into my ear how much she loved me.

"You know, Deb, among the many things I love about this man is that he is so honest...there are no agendas or interior motives. What you see is what you get. He knows what he wants and what he likes and he's upfront about it in a gentle way. He very open and inclusive, too. He's very sensitive in a manly way, not like a wuss...you know, like he doesn't bleed sensitivity. He seems very aware of who he is and his space on the planet. I saw it in the way he carried himself when we first met and I was immediately attracted to it."

"Mark is like that, too - now, but we weren't always so open with each other. It took several years of marriage and hard work to break down some thick walls but we worked at it together and I think that today, we've overcome those obstacles. It has made us more loving and much more of a real partnership. But I have to admit, being with you two has made us both more aware of how could it can be...you both are very self-assured and centered and those qualities influence us. It's intoxicating. You two are really yin and yang."

"Deb, we've all go through so heavy changes and sometimes it isn't easy to shed all the baggage. Like Davy likes to say, he prefers 'carry-on' size baggage. But sometimes, it isn't easy and other times it is, you know?...What makes it all matter is where we are at this moment in time...because it will never come around like this again and you never really know what's lurking around the bend."

Mark joined us on the terrace. "Hey! That sounds like a song!...So what's the plan?"

"No plan, baby. We're just shmoozing about love, devotion and ecstacy."

"Yup, no plan, Marcus. I figured that we might just head back to the symposium for a while today and then meet up with John before the gig tonight."

"Sounds like a plan to me!"

We laid around the room for a few hours. Checking her email, Amy read us one from Meg. "You'll all be happy to know that I decided to take your advice. After checking out the Spa online, I impulsively called Callie and made a reservation in a few weeks. I told Callie that you recommended me and she promised that I would be well taken care of. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the tip and thanks for the great night. Meg. P.S. Even a therapist sometimes needs therapy." It made us happy to hear it and we knew that she would have a wonderful time. Even a therapist sometimes needs therapy. Indeed.

Because a light misty rain had come in early morning, we headed up to the symposium in the early afternoon after it had passed. The girls decided to cruise the campus and find the bookstore for some sweats and tees. We parked in the row of different colored Roadsters in front of the bus and it made quite a display. As we headed for the tent, my phone rang. It was Sebastian.

"Hey Davy. Where are you?"

"J.B., I'm over at the symposium at Pimental Hall. Where are you?"

"I just pulled into Zellerbach around the block. Stay right there, I'll be right over."

The tent was crowded with browsers. Susan, one of Elon's salespeople told us that Elon and Ed were inside doing their panel and that it was almost over. She also told us that they had done a bang-up business with nine orders and a couple more on the edge. She also said that she and the other salesperson, Ella, had slept in the bus last night and that she hoped we didn't mind. "I had the sheets dry-cleaned this morning and the bus is as clean as a whistle. You'd never known we were there." I assumed that she and Ella had shared a bed and my mind wandered to visions of these two beautiful women deep in the throes of passion. I think that she sensed my thoughts and she turned red, as if reading my alleged mind.

"Mr. Harper, really!"

"Does Elon know you two slept in the bus?"

"No, and I'd prefer to keep it that way."

"No problem, Susan. Perhaps sometime you two would like to join Amy and me for an overnight."

She looked at me with a steamy, dreamy look and then smiled. "I don't know about her but I'm ready and willing for that! We left a couple of joints in your night table as a thank you." She gave me a peck on the cheek. "I'll consider your offer but I can tell you that I'm certainly there. Let me give you my card. This way, if you need any help on the road, you can call me and not bother Elon. He's so busy and I'd be more than glad to be of service to both of you. If you really need help, I can fly in." She winked at me as I put her card in my pocket. I walked into the bus and it was so clean, it seemed antiseptic. I sat down on the recliner and put the iTunes on shuffle as my mind envisioned us with Susan. Call it coincidence but "Rainbows All Over My Blues" came on. Mark climbed in a few minutes later with Sebastian in tow.

"I been waiting my time just to talk to you,
You've been lookin' all down in the mouth and down at your shoes,
Well, baby, I came to give you the news,
I'll paint rainbows all over your blues.

I heard you been spending a lot of your time up in your room,
And at night you been watchin' the dark side of the moon,
You don't talk to nobody if they don't talk to you,
So Buddy and me came here to sing you a tune.

"I give up" is all you've really got to say,
It's time to find a new life style
Cause this really ain't the way.

Let's go for a bounce on my trampoline,
I can show you the prettiest mountains that you've ever seen,
You better run to your closet and fish out your blue suede shoes,
I'll paint rainbows all over your blues.
Well, baby, I came to give you the news,
I'll paint rainbows all over your blues."

"Nice that your listening to my music but I doubt if I'll be playing that tonight," Sebastian laughed.

I closed and locked the door so I could light up the joint without any interruptions. We laughed and kidded each other and shmoozed about the old says. Then we got down to business and began to talk about the evening's show. John said that he'd do the first set solo and then bring us out in the second set. Mark deferred saying that he'd be there as a member of the audience only but both John and I refused to hear it. It didn't take too much time to twist his arm...but not the bow arm. John asked if I had any preferences and I asked if we could do "Amy's Tune."

"Well, of course! With your beautiful partner in the house, I assumed we would. Do you think we could get her up to sing with us?"

"If we do "Rain on the Roof" we can. Other than that, we'll just follow you, J.B."

There was a knock on the door. I let Ed and Elon in. They each took a whiff of the room and I passed the joint over.

"Sorry I missed your panel today. We just got here a little while ago and a little too late to make it."

"It's okay but you missed our brilliance," smiled Elon. "So far, I'd say we're the hit of this symposium. I have a fistful of orders from yesterday and have done another fistful of orders today. Oh, and I heard the interview you did yesterday. I'm going to have to put you guys on the payroll!"

As usual, Ed was all smiles and good vibrations. "Uh, Davy, are you going to do a little set today? I'd love to play with you guys again."

"Sure, why not. What do you say, boys? Let's finish this number and do a little shilling for Elon. We can have a loose rehearsal."

"Okay with me but I don't want to leave this bus. This thing is the shit, man, the absolute shit!" I proceeded to give John the Grand Tour. He was all admiration and astonishment. We went through another bone while Elon peeked out the window to assess the crowd, always counting heads. John ran down some of the songs in his set and told us that Zellerbach was a little more than half sold out. Finally, we stepped off the bus and got our axes. John had his with him so I offered Ed my Martin. Ed smiled and said no. He went out to his Tesla and returned with a DanElectro Bass and a small amp. We all set up and tuned up in front of Big Chocolate. I told John to check out this song Mark had pulled out of his hat the day before. We kicked into "Harvey's Tune" and his eyes bugged out. With John on harmonica riding on the lead with Mark and Ed pinning the bottom, it sounded even better than before. He insisted that we play it tonight.

The tent was full again with an overflow crowd in the lot. I introduced the band and did some plugs for Tesla, for the Breadbasket Project and for John's show. I mentioned that he would have some special guests and that they should tell their friends. John interrupted and said that there were a couple of special guests even I didn't know about. "We might just travel back to the Summer of Love. People on this campus might not remember that summer because you were all too busy marching and protesting. But in the spirit of Mario Savio and the Free Speech Movement, I can assure you that tonight we're going to blow the fucking roof off Zellerbach! Now for a little music, okay?"

As long as Amy wasn't around, I asked John if we could run through "Amy's Tune." Nobody plays the harp like John Sebastian. We played some more tunes for about forty-five minutes and then quit. Again, we were mobbed for autographs. It was a nice scene in that intimate tent. Elon was bubbling over as he picked up four more orders. We all went back into the bus to relax and use the john. There were sandwiches and drinks waiting for us. That, Elon, he's a sharp businessman. He must be good playing cards as he doesn't miss a trick.

"So tell me, J.B., who else is showing up tonight? Who are the other surprises?"

"You ready for this? David Grisman?..."

"Oh, shit, Excellent," Mark was overjoyed. "I played with Grisman and Garcia years ago. I haven't seen him in ages!"

"...and because they're in town for a gig tomorrow night, Levon Helm, his daughter Amy and Larry Campbell. How's that sound?"

"Oh, how fucking cool. I haven't seen Levon in almost thirty years or so." I was shook. This was going to be some gig. Especially when John asked Ed if he'd sit in on bass. You could see that Ed was near tears of joy. I asked him he was ready to play John 'Stumpy' Pepys again (his cameo in 'Spinal Tap') and he laughed, killing his moment. I excused myself for a moment and stepped off the bus. I nodded to the KALX radio guy and motioned for him to follow me out of the tent.

"You might want to slip this on the air because I want to sell out Zellerbach tonight." I gave him a run down of the special guests and he took off in a flash towards the station.

I went back in and got right back into the conversation. Someone had asked John when we first met and he was reminiscing about his last days with the Even Dozen Jug Band before the Lovin' Spoonful and how we met one night at The Night Owl. "Riche Havens was there that night, too, right, John?"

We were pretty laid out by this time and John asked if he could take a nap. I ushered him into the bedroom and he sacked out for about a half hour.

"This is going to be some kind of fun tonight, Davy." said Mark. "Are you okay, Ed?"

"Am I okay" No, I'm not okay! I think I shit myself!" We had to control our laughter as not to disturb John. I ushered them out of the bus when we couldn't hold it in any longer. Then we just howled.

Outside the tent, we stood in the sun and chatted with symposium attendees. Some wanted to know if we were doing another set and I told them all no but to go to the show tonight. Some asked when I was going to do a full concert there sometime soon and I had no answer but told them that I would try to set one up for the summer or fall tour.

"Mark? Is that Mark O'Flannery?" It was David Grisman walking up holding his mandolin. "I was told Sebastian was over here bit I didn't expect to see you here. How you doin', boy"

"Dawg, you old bastard." They hugged. "Meet my friends, Davy Harper and Ed Begley. We'll be sitting in with you guys tonight."

"Awesome, man I just heard from Levon and he should be here in about an hour. Fucking A, man. We're going to have us a hoot tonight."

Amy and Deb cruised in looking well exercised. "We just took care of Santo. He back in the room...We got sweatpants and sweatshirts...for us and for you two. We also got running shorts. Everything says 'UC Berkeley' - like we went here!" We introduced them to David. I told them that Sebastian was asleep in the bedroom and we quietly snuck back in. Mark pulled out a joint and found himself arguing with Grisman - "Let's smoke mine." "No. let's do mine first."

We had a hard time keeping quiet as we were all goofy and giggly and after a while, John come out from the bathroom. "How the hell can a guy get some shut eye with all this ruckus? Hey there, Dawg! Hi Amy. Hi, Mrs. O'. I see you're rehearsing for the gig. It's nearly five and we go on at eight. The soundcheck is at seven."

"Not a problem, J.B. We're all professionals here. Haw, haw, haw!" There was a knock on the door.

"This here's the tour bus. Damn!" Levon, Larry and Amy entered. It was a good thing that all the sliders and walls were open because we had us a full house. Elon and Susan entered the bus with a bunch of cold water bottles, a couple of bottles of wine and a big smile. I gave Levon, Larry and David the tour. John said that the bed was as good as you can find in the best hotels. He also liked how it formed a little suite. We partied until it was time to head to the concert hall. Amy spent a lot of time with John and Levon getting a Master Class on harmonica technique. Elon said he'd have the bus cleaned and he'd meet us at the hall. Although Zellerbach was just around the block, we piled into cars and drove over. Probably because David and Levon wanted to test drive a Tesla Roadster...doesn't everyone?

Like a real hippie entourage, we bounced into the venue. The manager was frantic (aren't they always) because we were late but we brushed him off. He told us that there had been a late surge in tickets and that he expected it to sell out from the walk-ups. John was elated. He walked onto the stage and did his soundcheck of just voice and guitar. Then the rest of us joined him as stage hands ran around plugging us in. I had both my axes with me. John insisted that they add another mic for my Amy and he referred to them as "The Angelic Amy Choir aka The Amys." Levon led us through "The Weight" and "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down." Levon insisted that Deb play the tambourine. And Ed? That guy was into it and he was rocking. I ran them through "Breadbasket" and "Talk Dirty To Me" which developed into a sassy duet by the Amys with them breaking up the verses as if they were two different phone-sex operators. It was a quarter to eight and we were done. They closed the curtain and brought John's stool and mic to the center. We all drifted back into the dressing rooms and kicked back. We were all like little kids and very excited. Some one suggested we call ourselves the "Mad Dawgs and Americans."

The show began and we all took seats set up for us in the wing. Elon, Susan and Etta had arrived by then and they joined us. As par for John, he came out and immediately owned the sell-out crowd. After nearly ten songs, old ones and new ones, he brought out David Grisman and they did another six tunes. John told the audience that he was taking a break but he'd be back soon because the real fun was about to begin.

Fifteen minutes later, he was back onstage. "And now, my friends, we're gonna have what we call back east in Woodstock, a ramble. I have a lot of fiends here with me tonight and they're all itching to play so let's bring back David Grisman and please welcome, the best fiddle on the planet, Mark O'Flannery - an angel's voice, Amy Bieler - direct form the Green Symposium, the bassman, Ed Begley and my dear old friend who has a bus with a very comfortable bed, Davy Harper." a roar went up as we joined him on stage. He began to play "Rain on the Roof" with Mark and Ed, I gave him the first verse and then Amy and I joined in on harmony. We took a break as Mark sweetened the mix. The song sounded great. From there, John asked me for a song and I started "Fa-Fa-Na-Fa" to his delight. "What else you got?" he asked. I kicked into "Do You Believe in Magic" and damn if we didn't sound like the Spoonful. John then went into "I'm Satisfied" as he and Dawg took the lead. "One more!" called John and moved into "Younger Girl". David and Mark danced together like the song was made for them and, to my mind, it was the best song yet. John and I sang such a close harmony you'd think we were the Everly Brothers.

"Thank you. Thank you. But we got more room on this stage! Let me here you scream for the greatest drummer I know, Levon Helm...Amy Helm, Larry Campbell and Deb O'Flannery." Levon sat down behind his kit to a standing ovation. He kicked right into "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down" and we nailed it. From there, Larry took us into "Tennessee Jed" and I couldn't help but lay out a Garcia-esque guitar solo which brought a smile to Grisman's big beard. We played about 64 bars of a Dead conversation and we were back into the verse to the delight of the other band members and the audience. Then it was "The Weight" followed by "Nashville Cats" which turned into a complete country jamboree. The Amys stepped forward with "Talk Dirty To Me" and the crowd went nuts. We were all having so much fun up there, I couldn't wait to see what the next tune would be. Levon called for "Life Is A Carnival" and after a quick huddle, Larry and Mark kicked it off.

"You can walk on the water, drown in the sand
You can fly off a mountaintop if anybody can.
Run away, run away--it's the restless age,
Look away, look away--you can turn the page,
Hey, buddy, would you like to buy a watch real cheap
Here on the street?
I got six on each arm and two more round my feet.
Life is a carnival--believe it or not,
Life is a carnival--two bits a shot.

Saw a man with the jinx in the third degree,
From trying to deal with people--people you can't see,...

Life is a carnival--it's in the book,
Life is a carnival--take another look...
...Life is a carnival
Life is a carnival
Life is a carnival."

Fortunately, Larry played the Robbie Robertson part so I didn't have to sweat much as I noodled out an imitation of Allen Toussaint's horn parts. It started off a little too loose but soon tightened up and ended as an all out Second Line. We all laughed and applauded each other when it ended. "We're pro-fessionals here. You can't fuck with us!" shouted Levon.

John then said we had to bring it down a bit and dedicated the next song to The Amys. He broke into "Amy's Tune" and they were absolutely glowing. Levon played brushes as the rest of us took different parts of the song to solo on. We eased out and let John finish the song on harmonica. It was pure magic. John then said as long as we were doing instrumentals, he had Mark, Ed and I start "Harvey's Tune." Levon let out a slow whistle upon recognition and said "Deep, man. Too fucking deep!" Grisman and Campbell stepped back but joined us in a big finish. John then did a little speech about The Breadbasket Project and asked the audience to make donations. He then added, "This show tonight has been sponsored in part by Tesla Motors so please, let's bring out another green wizard, a man with a very small carbon footprint - Elon Musk." Elon stood next to the Amys (and fortunately off mic) as we did an extended version with plenty of space for riffs. During the second break, Campbell and I laid down a funky riff over which Mark and Dawg flew. And somewhere above that, John's harp come in and brought us home. It was about as good a part as I'd heard yet for that song. It was truly electric. And with John and Levon singing harmony to my lead, The Amys soared above us. I was choked up as the audience stood and clapped along. The show was over for us and we waved goodbye. John brought us out in a line and called each of us out for the ovation. We then applauded the audience and left the stage. The audience clapped rhythmically for more and John, alone with his guitar, sang them "Younger Generation" after which they left quietly satisfied.