Deep in the Night Ch. 08

Story Info
A false lead and interrupted love.
5.5k words
11.2k
8
0

Part 8 of the 11 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 02/08/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
KimMarie
KimMarie
40 Followers

This is one part of a longer crime/romance story that is connected to the other parts. To fully appreciate the story, please start at Part 1 and read through. Thanks.

Part 8 A False Lead and Interrupted Love

Jordan knocked on Tom Harding's front door. A well-groomed, thirty-something, stylishly dressed man opened it.

Jordan announced, "I'm Jordan Connor with the FBI. Is Dr. Harding in?" She flashed her badge to the man. "And, this is sheriff's deputy Jimmy Watson, and New Mexico State Police Detectives, Gary Matthews and Casey Samson. We'd like to ask him few questions."

"I'm not Tom Harding and what is this in reference to."

"Is Dr. Harding available?" Jordan questioned.

The man hesitated a moment, "Yes...he is here. Why do you need to question him?"

Just then an older, white haired, effeminate man appeared. "I'm Tom Harding. Why don't you let them in, Max?" Max shrugged and stepped aside. Jordan entered the orderly house followed by Jimmy and the detectives.

"Dr. Harding, I know you are retired from the University of New Mexico. My colleagues and I are investigating the murder of three women in Shawnee and we would like to ask you some questions."

"I don't know how I can help you, but what would you like to know."

"Firstly, Dr. Harding, what did you teach at the university?"

"I taught theatre and drama classes for over 20 years. During my tenure, I wrote several one man dramas and staged an original production of Cabaret." He announced proudly. His statement ended the conversation as far as Jordan was concerned. A drama professor was certainly not the killer. But, before the team left, Jordan wondered if he could be of help in another manner.

"Dr. Harding, do you have any colleagues in Shawnee or the nearby area? Or, do you know any other university professors residing in Shawnee?"

"I knew Trevor Hawkins. He taught art at the community college. But, he passed away 3 years ago."

"Anyone else?" Jordan pressed him.

"I am familiar with the faculty of the art and theater department from the local high school. But, something tells me you wouldn't be interested in them."

Jordan smiled, "Your guess is right. But I appreciate your cooperation Dr. Harding. If you can think of anyone else, please call me." She handed the professor her card and the team excused themselves from the house.

"Well, that got us nowhere." Gary snorted as they walked to the car. Casey answered him, "We followed a lead and it was a dead end. At least we can eliminate one more man off the list." "Hey, was that a gay guy?" Jimmy asked the others. "Yes, Jimmy, he is gay." Jordan affirmed his suspicions. "It was so obvious." Gary sneered. "Damn, Jimmy, haven't you ever seen a fag before?" "All right you two. Knock it off!" Jordan interjected. "Can we finish the day without fighting?"

Driving back to her apartment, Raven answered an incoming call to her phone, "It's me." A male voice said.

"What did you find out?" Raven asked him,

"So far, the man in the restaurant looks legit. But, I'm gonna dig deeper; you never know and I'd rather be safe than sorry. It might take a while, but I'll get back with you as soon as I can. Just be alert and be careful. Call me if you need anything."

* **

Back at her motel apartment, Raven put the groceries away, tossed the head of lettuce into a bowl and put the bowl into the sink. She opened the boneless chicken and placed it into a shallow backing pan and poured some smoked mesquite flavored marinate over it.

Next, she went out back to the garage where her motorcycle was stored and activated the leftmost door. She waited for it to roll up and let her eyes adjust to the inner darkness before retrieving a grill from inside. She then returned to the garage to fish out the bag of charcoal and lighter fluid. She placed them next to the grill on the strip of grass beside the motel's back wall and was about to return into the apartment, when an event occurred that would save both her and Jordan's life without either of them realizing it.

Just as she was opening the door, she heard a soft meow. Looking down, she saw a thin gray tabby kitten looking up at her with imploring eyes. "Where did you come from little one?" She spoke to it softly, "Are you hungry?" The kitten continued its mournful cry and Raven couldn't bear to see it beg so pitifully. "Stay here. I'll be right back," she told the kitten, as though it could understand her.

She pulled a carton of milk from the refrigerator and poured some into a small Tupperware bowl. Going back outside, she placed it on the ground for the kitten. The little animal seemed fearful at first, not wanting to approach the bowl with Raven crouching next to it. She called to it gently and the sound of her voice and the kitten's hunger overcame its fear. It moved toward the bowl, took one sniff and began greedily lapping at the milk.

"You must be starving." Raven observed and, as the kitten drank, she returned into the kitchen to get it some raw meat. Pulling a carving knife out of a kitchen drawer, Raven started slicing a piece of chicken off of the boneless breasts that were marinating. The raw meat was slippery and she had a bit of trouble holding it. Enough trouble to cause the knife to slip and slice across her left thumb.

"OUCH!" she cried out and hastily dropped the knife. In a matter of seconds, bright red blood began leaking out of the cut and Raven moved to the sink and turned on the cold water. She held her finger under the flowing water and let it wash the wound. Blood flowed down into the lettuce as the water poured over her thumb. The cold water staunched the flow of blood and Raven took a close look at her finger.

The cut wasn't terribly large, but somewhat deep and she didn't get to look at it long before blood again began seeping out. She returned her finger under the stream and felt a bit lightheaded from seeing her own injury. Grabbing a tea towel, she clamped it over the finger and with her uninjured hand, dialed the sheriff's office.

Jordan wasn't in and she told Sarah, "I need to speak with her, how can I get in touch with agent Connor?"

"I can give her a message for you." Sarah answered. Raven sighed, "Can you get in touch with her now and have her call Raven as soon as possible? Oh, wait let me give you my cell phone number." She gave Sarah the number and grabbed her car keys to drive to the doctor's office. Just as she was getting out of her car several blocks away, her cell phone rang. It took her awhile to answer as she tried to juggle the phone, her car keys and handbag with one hand.

"Jordan?" She spoke into the phone.

"Yes." Jordan answered; she noted a sense of urgency in Raven's voice. "Is everything okay?"

"Oh, God. Jordan, I cut myself and I am at the doctor's office."

"Are you all right?" Jordan asked worriedly.

"Yes, I'll be okay, it is just my finger, but I wanted to fix you a nice dinner and I have no idea when I'll get home."

"Don't worry about dinner." Jordan told her. I will get us something. Maybe carryout Chinese, that is, if you like it. I will meet you at the doctor's office."

"No, you don't have to do that. But, I would appreciate Chinese. I'm sorry things got screwed up. There's a key to my apartment under the door mat outside the kitchen door."

"I'll take care of it." Jordan announced. "If you need me to drive you home, call me."

While Raven was laying on an examining table getting five stitches sewed into her thumb, Jordan found the keys under the apartment door mat and also found a small, cowering feline hunched up beside an empty bowl.

"Who are you?" Jordan reached out to stroke the kitten's head. "I didn't know Raven had a furry friend." Letting herself into Raven's apartment, she looked around and saw a few drops of blood on the kitchen floor. There was more blood on the counter top and on a head of lettuce sitting in the sink. She grabbed some paper towels and set about cleaning the blood. Next, she turned the water on so it would run over the lettuce.

She let a copious amount flow over it and inspected the leaves to see if all the blood was gone, but there were still large amounts of blood deep in the leaves. She sighed, and though 'better safe than sorry', and threw the whole head out and then washed her hands. Little did she know that simple act saved Raven's life and possibly hers.

The little kitten had snuck into the apartment when Jordan had entered and it sat grooming itself and watching Jordan as she went about cleaning up. Still hungry, it meowed to the agent and Jordan picked up the piece of chicken, which Raven had cut earlier. She stooped down and held it out to the kitten that took it without hesitation and gulped it down.

Jordan left Raven a note that she was out getting some Chinese carryout in case Raven arrived home before Jordan returned to the apartment. She pulled into a strip mall and ordered the food. Sure enough, Raven had beat her back to the apartment while Jordan was out and was delighted to see that everything had been cleaned up and the chicken was put into the refrigerator. The little kitten bounded out from the bedroom to greet its new mistress.

"How did you get in here?" Raven demanded. "My girlfriend must have let you in." She smiled at her own words, happy to consider Jordan her girlfriend. She bent down to scratch the kitten behind the ears with her good hand when Jordan entered through the kitchen door.

"Raven?" She called, "I'm back. I hope you like orange chicken and sweet and sour shrimp. Oh, and I also got some egg rolls and steamed vegetables. How's your hand?" She placed the food on the kitchen table and gently took Raven's hand, but she couldn't see anything with the bandage on.

"It's okay, starting to ache a little." Jordan kissed Raven on the cheek and Raven said, "Thanks for cleaning my apartment for me hon. I guess you met my new buddy?"

"Your welcome and yes, I met your buddy. She is quite demanding. Or, he. Whatever it is. I think it is starving. Where did it come from?"

"I don't know." Raven replied. "It showed up out back. I don't know if it is a boy or girl." Jordan picked the kitten up and turned it over to inspect its belly much to the little animal's dislike.

It mewed noisily and Jordan announced, "I think it's a girl. At least it doesn't look like it has all the apparatus. What are you going to name it?"

Raven shrugged, "I will think of something. Unless you can come up with a good name."

"Are you going to keep her?"

"Well, I don't want to send her away on her own. Look how thin she is. She must be abandoned."

Jordan switched subjects, "Are you hungry? There's plenty of food."

"A little. I feel kind of drained. I guess getting stitches wore me out."

"Bye the way, I had to throw the lettuce out, there was too much blood on it." "Thanks ok, I'll get another tomorrow."

"Then sit down and eat and after dinner, you can take it easy and I'll give you a back massage." Raven's eyes lit up, "Oh, baby, that would be wonderful!"

They ate the Chinese food and Jordan instructed Raven to go relax on the couch. After tossing a shrimp to the kitten, she put the leftovers away and took out the trash, including the contaminated head of lettuce. She had to smile when she entered the living room a few minute later. Raven was lying on the couch on her stomach with her eyes closed.

"I hope you're not asleep already." Jordan teased her.

"Are you kidding?" Raven answered. "And miss the massage? I am ready and waiting."

Jordan took off the jacket to her pantsuit and tapped Raven's hip, "Slide a little this way, darling."

Raven shifted on the couch and Jordan straddled her across her waist, kneeling over her. She gently gathered Raven's long hair in her hand and placed it aside. Reaching up, she put her hands on Raven's shoulders and gently squeezed. After a few moments of rubbing Raven's shoulders and neck, she gradually worked her way down to Raven's lower back and hesitated a moment before sliding her hands underneath Raven's shirt bottom. "Is this okay?" She asked softly.

"I was hoping for this." Raven responded, "Let me take it off."

Jordan moved to sit over Raven's legs and Raven pushed up. She adjusted her weight on the couch so she could pull her shirt off. Her back was facing Jordan and Jordan reached for her bra strap to unhook the lacy white apparel. She pushed it off Raven's shoulders and the bra was tossed aside.

Raven lay back down and Jordan resumed her position, admiring the smooth, shapely back with the slightly broad shoulders tapering to a narrow waist. Jordan's hands went to Raven's skin on their own; her touch was light and soothing, her strokes, slow and deliberate.

"That's nice." Raven murmured and within moments she fell asleep. Jordan carefully climbed off of her and searched a linen closet for a blanket. She covered the topless, sleeping woman and sat in an easy chair to watch the news.

Shortly thereafter, the little kitten made her presence known to Jordan, "What do you want, ya little pest? You can't still be hungry."

She reached down to pet the kitten's head when it dawned on her, "I'll bet you need to use the facilities. And poor Raven didn't get a chance to fix you something." She watched the kitten for a moment, "You stay here and don't make a mess. I'll be right back."

Jordan let herself out of the apartment and drove the BMW to Wal-Mart. Searching the aisles, she found the pet supplies and grabbed a bag of kitty litter and a litter box. She was halfway to the cashier when she remembered cat food. Hurrying back to the aisle, she picked up half a dozen cans.

In just over half and hour, Jordan was back at the apartment. She found the kitten curled up next to Raven with its head nestled on the crook of her neck.

"What time is it?" she asked Jordan.

"Eight-fifteen. I ran out to get some things for the kitten."

"God, I must be a horrible date. I was going to fix dinner for us and you ended up having to buy it. Then I fall asleep on you in the middle of that wonderful massage. And, now you bought the kitten supplies too." Jordan went over and sat on the couch next to Raven.

She placed her hand on Raven's thigh, "Baby, do you hear me complaining?"

"No, but I am going to owe you big time."

Jordan smiled, "That could be interesting. I intend to collect on that." She noticed Raven yawning, "But, you should get to bed now."

And Raven answered, "Before I do, I want to make an initial payment on what I owe." Without waiting for an answer, she pressed close to the woman beside her and brushed her lips against Jordan's. As the kiss deepened, she took Jordan's face in her hands, her tongue tasting Jordan's lips.

The kiss ended and Jordan whispered, "I can't wait to collect in full." Raven rose and headed off to her bedroom, first stopping in the bathroom to brush her teeth and wash up. After emerging from the bathroom, Raven waved good night to Jordan who decided then that she didn't want to leave this woman sleeping alone tonight.

After Raven climbed into bed, Jordan went to her motel room and took off her pantsuit and bra. She slipped on a large, oversize T-shirt for sleeping and a pair of jeans and went back inside Raven's apartment. She quietly removed the jeans and laid them across a chair. She crawled under the covers next to Raven, who was sleeping on her right side, and snuggled behind her. When she draped her arm over Raven's stomach under the bed covers, she felt Raven's bare, warm flesh and realized Raven was wearing nothing but panties. Their smooth naked legs touched and Raven stirred and took Jordan's hand, holding it tightly against her body, "Jordan, I'm glad you're here." They fell soundly asleep.

***

Raven woke first and was startled, but happy to find Jordan asleep next to her. She sat halfway up leaning on her elbows trying to recall the previous night. After having been asleep for so many hours, it took her a moment before she remembered the massage and Jordan sliding into the bed next to her. She turned to Jordan and lightly stroked her cheek with her good hand. Jordan was gently aroused from sleep.

"Good morning, girlfriend." Raven smiled down at her.

Jordan took her hand and kissed it, "Good morning to you to, darling. What time is it?"

"Almost seven."

Jordan sighed, "I guess I better get up. But I'd much rather stay here with you, in bed."

"You can, silly." Raven replied. "It's Sunday." But Jordan arose anyway and stretched, "I'm never off when these cases remain unsolved."

"C'mon Jordan." Raven complained. "I know you don't have to be in the office this early on a Sunday. Besides, you are going to spoil me. I'm going to want you in my bed all the time now."

"Then we'll have to make arrangements for that." Jordan flirted with her. "But I do have to go in darling. I'm sorry. But this case shouldn't be too much longer. She slipped on her jeans and asked, "How does your hand feel?"

"A little sore, but I'll live." Raven also arose from the bed and put her silk robe on." Just as they made their way into the kitchen, Jordan's cell phone rang; she had forgotten that she had left it in Raven's kitchen from the night before.

"Hello?" she answered.

"Jordan, Bill Hagan here. Have you seen this morning's paper yet?"

"No. Why?"

"Go read it. And make sure you're sitting down when you do. I'm getting ready to head in to the office."

"Then I'll see you later."

Jordan ended the call and asked Raven, "Do you get the Sunday paper?"

"Yes. It should be lying outside the office door." Jordan went to the front office, opened the door and picked up the paper. She brought it to the kitchen and unfolded it and quickly scanned the front page.

"What is it?" Raven asked while looking over her friend's shoulder.

"Son of a bitch!" Jordan exclaimed. On the bottom half of the front page of the Sunday edition of the Albuquerque Journal, was the headline:

Epidemic in Shawnee Team of Doctors Investigate Germ Outbreak Linked to Killings.

"Someone ran their mouth and when I find out who, they're gonna wish they had never met me!" Jordan was angry as she quickly read the article.

"So that's why those doctors are here, isn't it?" Raven asked. "Is it true, Jordan? Is there an epidemic?"

"No, love. I promise you. You don't have anything to worry about. I'll fill you in on the whole story once the case clears up." She gave Raven a quick hug and kiss, "I gotta go, but I'll call you later."

"Well, how bout breakfast first?" Raven called after her.

"Can't today. But, thank you." Jordan hurried to her room, showered, dressed and headed to the Sheriff's Office.

There was a frenzy of activity. Jordan never stopped for her messages and the weekend duty deputy at the front desk tried to detain her, "Agent Connor, the phone has been ringing off the hook. Everyone and their brother around here wants to know what's going on and if they are going to get sick. The press had been calling too."

"Well, I guess so." Jordan announced loudly and sarcastically. She strode forcefully into Bill Hagan's office, "Who the hell leaked information?"

"I don't know, Jordan. But when I find out they are gonna get their ass reamed!"

The sheriff bellowed, "Matthews! Samson! In my office, pronto!"

"We're right here sheriff." Casey announced from behind Jordan. They had lurked outside in the hallway to listen to Jordan's tirade.

She addressed them, "Have the state troopers at the road blocks detained any more members of the press from entering Shawnee. We have enough of them busy bodies around here as it is."

Gary responded, "We can't detain the press, Jordan. It's the public's right to know."

"Oh, yeah? Watch me!" Jordan fired back. "Tell them to arrest anyone who violates the road block. As for Shawnee, let's schedule a press conference for 1 o'clock today outside in front of the building. We'll have the docs give a general report to calm people down without giving away any details of the case."

KimMarie
KimMarie
40 Followers
12