Defying Gravity Ch. 04-05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Danny?" I realised that she was asking me.

"I'm not hungry."

Mom ignored me. "See if they can rustle up a burger and fries."

"I said I wasn't hungry," I growled. Mom's head jerked around.

"Let me know when you are going to listen to anything I say. Until then, leave me the fuck alone." I walked by her and entered the bathroom.

I stared at the scared guy standing in the mirror. I was confused, angry and royally pissed at the three people I trusted the most. Now, I wasn't so sure any more.

There was a soft knock on the door.

"Danny, may I come in?"

"It's not locked." I couldn't keep my anger but I wasn't prepared to say more than I had to.

The door opened and Aunt Paula hesitated.

"We need to talk and I'm not sure how things will be after that."

She suddenly snatched her cell from where it was clipped to her waist. I hadn't heard it ring. She listened for a ten or so seconds and then flipped the cell closed, terminating the call. Seconds later there was a knock on the door.

I stepped out of the bathroom as Aunt Paula closed the room door. She returned carrying a room service tray. There was a coffee pot, two cups and a large plate of sandwiches and chips. I was strangely relieved that she hadn't entered with a burger and fries.

"I'll tell you everything but first you need to eat."

She put the tray down on the end of one of the beds. We sat opposite each other. As she bit into a turkey and cranberry sandwich I poured coffee for us both; it was just for something to do. There was another knock at the door. I could hear the conversation with with Uncle Bob and then the door being closed.

"What I am about to tell you will shatter everything and everyone that you've come to know, trust and love."

"My name is Paula Jones. I'm a US Marshall in the Witness Protection Program." My head jerked up.

I found myself staring into nothingness as I listened. Uncle Bob and Aunt Paula weren't who I had known them to be. They were US Marshalls.They were married to each other, that much was true. My grandparents were retired law enforcement agents who had been brought out of retirement for this detail. Dad was in fact Jimmy Allen had been the senior officer in the detail. There was still only one Jimmy Carter.

"Why did she pretend to be my mother?"

That was when I felt a hand touch my knee.

"Kate was your babysitter the night that your mother was killed."

"Who am I?" Paula shook her head. She wasn't Aunt Paula any longer.

"Your real name is Bryan."

I was on my feet. "Which room is Mo.....I'd like to talk with her please."

Paula made the call. Answering the knock on the door Paula left the room as US Marshal Kate Carter entered.

"Hello," Kate said. Her voice was uncertain.

I smiled. "Hello."

"What do I call you? I can't call you Mom." Kate nodded. "And I think that we have gone beyond the point where I call you Marshal."

"My name's Kate Carmichael," she answered.

"Thank you," I said finally. Those two words started the tears. "Paula told me what you did for me. I'm still not able to get my head around everything but I do know that I'm only here because of you. Thank you just sounds so insignificant when I think for the sacrifice that you've made for me."

"Stop it!" Kate cried. "Just stop it."

The room phone stopped any further conversation. Kate answered and listened to whoever had called. The conversation was brief and totally one sided.

"That was Paula. We will be leaving early in the morning, so we need to get some rest."

"Would you tell me where we are headed if I asked?" Kate gave me the look that was all too familiar. "I guessed as much."

I looked at the twin beds.

"Do you want the bed nearest the door?" I will never know why I asked that particular question.

"I can get Bob to stay with you if you prefer." I looked at her and then shook my head.

"Then I'll take the bed by the door." I used the bathroom first. When I finished I found Kate sitting on the edge of her bed. She raised her head as the door opened. I saw a familiar but restrained smile appear.

"Do I have to tell you not to leave the room or answer the door?" I gave her a strange look.

"What if I was thinking of escaping?"

"If you were lucky you might get as far as the lobby," Kate answered without emotion.

I found a pair of lounge pants and a clean if wrinkle T-shirt in the case that Bob had carried into the room. I had changed and was lying on my bed when the bathroom door opened.

"Can you not sleep?"

Kate's voice invaded my mind. Sleep hadn't come. Lying in bed I had listened to the silence in the room and then to the sound of Kate's breathing. My mind was still reeling from the events of the past seven hours.

The room light exploded into illumination. I was forced to shield my eyes from the brightness. I was sitting in one of the chairs at the window. Kate was now sitting up in bed.

"I want to talk with Charlie," I said finally.

"I'll see what I can do," Kate answered.

"No, you will make it happen."

"I can't do that Danny," Kate answered.

"You were able to make me disappear for sixteen years so you can make that one simple thing happen." Kate looked at me with surprise on her face.

"I said I'll see what I can do and I mean I'll see what I can do," she repeated. "Look Danny, to make this work you will have to trust us on some things."

"How do you trust someone who has been a total lie and fabrication?"

"I am still the same person," Kate answered.

"You're not my mother!" I was losing control of my anger.

"Don't you think I know that," Kate answered.

"I don't know because you didn't tell me," I fired back. "When I was growing up you told me that we could talk about anything. But the truth was that it was just a ploy so that I would talk to you as a US Marshal. You would know what was going on in my life."

"You could have lied and told me that I was adopted and that my mother was dead, instead of believing that you were my mother."

"I was ordered not to tell you." I turned away from her. "Danny, this is breaking my heart too."

I hadn't thought about her pain. I had lived with this woman for sixteen years. She had been my mother in every part of my life apart from giving birth.

I turned my head towards her. "I'm just so angry."

"I know," Kate moved to stand behind me. She wrapped her arms around my shoulders.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean the things I said." I failed to fight back my tears. I was angry with myself and shouted, "Damn it, stop crying!"

"Let it go Honey."

5...

Favours were called. One came through best of all. That was why I was now standing on the sidewalk outside the Tri Kappa sorority house. The post Freshman Ball party was well underway. Walking up the garden walk to the front door I was surrounded by the music blasting through the open windows. The door was open so I entered.

The hallway was filled with loud noise as I pushed my way through the revellers. I started moving from room to room without success. As I passed through each one I could sense bad thoughts that she was upstairs. Two and two were slowly making seven in my mind.

"It's about time that you got here." The familiar voice sent a shiver running down my spine. "She's outside by the pool."

My body language must have given me away.

Kate had gone against orders and let me call Charlie using an untraceable, pre-paid cell phone that she destroyed after the call. Charlie and I spoke for over an hour as I explained as best as I could about what had happened that night and what was happening to me. As I ended the call I heard her tell me that she loved me. I answered the same. Only when the call was over did I promise that we would be together again.

"Danny, she's with her Tri-Kappa girlfriends."

"And she isn't dating any one?" I asked to be sure.

"She might be now if you don't get your butt out there."

I nodded. "And stop calling me Danny."

"Shit," Becca hissed. "I'm sorry D....Bryan."

I gave Becca a hug and told her that I owed her.

I opened the kitchen door and stepped out on to the deck. I instantly caught sight of Charlie. She was dressed in a mid-thigh white dress that also showed off her shoulders. She was standing in the midst of a group of girls who had gathered at the pool house end of the pool. I could see a group of guys eyeing them from the opposite side of the pool. I kept my eyes focused on her as I started down the steps leading down from the deck.

Her back was towards me as she chatted with her friends. I could tell by the movements that the conversation was centred on the group of guys. I slowed as two guys broke away from the group and made their approach. The girls engaged them in conversation and I could that Charlie, and the blonde standing next to here, were their intended targets.

Using the diversion I stepped up behind Charlie and waited. I caught the opening line; falling angels my ass. Laughing to myself I caught Charlie rubbing her hand over her neck. When she moved her hand away I saw that her skin was covered in goose bumps.

I caught one of her friends checking me out. I don't look the same as I once did. I now wear fashionable, dark rimmed spectacles and my hair is long and sun bleached. My wardrobe is California in style, 501's, surfing, Hollister and Aeropostale. I answered her quizzical look with a friendly smile. Charlie turned her head to see who her friend was looking at. My eyes instantly locked on to hers.

"Hello Charlotte!"

Charlie stared into my eyes. I could see total non-recognition of my presence in her eyes. Then her eyes opened wide in shock and her mouth fell open. Charlie looked absolutely beautiful to me.

The air in my lungs exploded as Charlie flung herself through the air. I caught her and held her tightly against me. My lungs were filled with her essence and memories of that night in my truck flooded ever sense in my body and soul.

"Don't you ever leave me again!" cried Charlie as she clung to me. I didn't get the chance to answer her.

"Are you going to introduce us Charlie?"

Charlie had no intention of letting me go. Pushing out of my embrace she grabbed my left hand in both of hers. I raised my right hand and held it towards the girl that had asked the question.

"Hi, I'm Bryan Carmichael." I felt Charlie jump in my arms as she heard my name for the first time.

"Hi Bryan, I'm Bobbie and on behalf of the Tri-Kappa sorority welcome."

"On behalf of Bryan Carmichael I thank you." I made a point of shaking hands with each of her friends in turn. There was no way on earth that I would remember all of their names. I even shook hands with the two guys who had been making a move on my girl.

"Let me apologise now if I don't remember all of your names when we meet next."

"That's OK Bryan," chirped a new voice. I traced it to a brunette standing at the back of the group.

"I appreciate that Gill," I thanked her with a smile and glad that I had remembered her name at least. I felt Charlie squeeze my hand.

"What are your intentions towards our Tri-Kappa sister?" asked Bobbie.

"Well, I guess that's what I'm here to find out." I started to answer and felt Charlie's eyes searching mine.

"Sisters," announced Charlie. "If you will excuse us I need some alone time with Bryan."

Charlie dragged me towards the house. I head one of her sisters call out, "You go girl" before we entered the house. Charlie ignored the knowing looks that came our way but I didn't as she dragged me upstairs. Charlie's room was on the second floor. Her room was reasonably large and had an en-suite bathroom, a small study, a living area containing a sofa and a matching armchair and television. The bed was under the window. Charlie roomed alone.

Charlie pulled me inside the room and then released my hand. I heard the door close with a solid clunk. I heard the lock as it clicked home.

"You have some explaining to do Dan....I mean Bryan Carmichael!"

"Where do you want me to start?

"How did you get here and who's Bryan Carmichael?" I reached out my hand. Charlie let me lead her to the bed. We held hands as we sat side by side.

"To answer your second question first," I started. "I am Bryan Carmichael. That is I was named Bryan by my birth mother and last week I was legally adopted by Ms Carmichael."

Kate had been and still is my Mom. She didn't give birth to me but she gave me everything and more that a mother would provide for her son.

"Would you like to see of photo of me and my new Mom?"

Charlie nodded. "I'd love too."

I reached for my wallet. The photo was one of several that had been taken at our new home. There was one in particular that I loved more than the others. It showed the two of us together, with me standing behind Mom and our arms entwined around her waist. The smiles on our face were filled with peace and love. I showed Charlie the other photo that I carried with me always; it was of my family, Mom, Bob, Paula and me.

Charlie turned my face and kissed me tenderly and lovingly.

"I love you Bryan Carmichael."

"I'm not sure but I think I love you too."

"I'll take that." Tears started to roll down her cheeks.

"Please don't cry."

Charlie shook her head.

"I thought that I'd lost you."

"So did I," I agreed.

"Could you hold me for a little while?"

I smiled. "For as long as you want me."

We parted when Charlie needed an urgent bathroom break. I used the time to stretch my legs. Whilst I used the bathroom Charlie disappeared. When she returned she was flushed and carrying a six-pack of soda, a large bag of chips and a pizza. I let her put the things down before I started to speak.

"There's something that you need to know before this goes any further."

Charlie's face lost its colour.

"I'm sitting in your English Literature class during the remainder of this semester."

Charlie stared at me in disbelief.

"I'm transferring to the music program here and they said I could take a couple of extra classes. I thought that if I could find a study partner then I could choose the Creative Writing and the Literature classes."

Charlie ran to me and buried herself in my open arms. I'm unsure how long we stayed like that. Charlie pushed her head away from my chest.

"Kiss me Daniel!"

The first kiss at the little league park took my breath away and lived with me from that moment. Our second kiss was passionate, soft, easy and sublime.

"Your mom's not going to burst in here is she?"

I started to laugh uncontrollably.

12