Delayed Reaction

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,607 Followers

I sat back to listen to John.

"Wray was arrested on Friday evening in the company of an underage minor. He was having sex with the boy at the time. In addition, he was found to be in possession of a quantity of methamphetamine. The raid took place sometime around one in the morning and he was taken directly to the Main Street station, booked and put in a cell.

"He called his lawyer Saturday morning and was released on bail sometime later that morning. I talked to Marion before he arrived home and she was beside herself. She had no idea that he was using drugs, much less involved with young boys. I don't know what will become of their marriage, but I can't think this will do it any good.

"Late Saturday afternoon he called me. He was aware that I knew of his arrest and he had talked briefly to Marion. He offered his resignation and I have reluctantly accepted it. He also personally apologized to me. He sounded like a broken man, Cam, and I'm not surprised. He's almost as old as I am and I doubt he'll ever work again ... at least not at the level he was at here."

I was sitting back listening to John relate what must have been a horrible day. I felt for him. He was a great guy and someone I really respected. On top of that, he was very supportive of me and I would do everything I could to make him proud of me.

"With Wray gone, I'll need you to step into the breach, Cam," John said. "I know you can do it. You've proved yourself more than once and I have complete confidence that you'll do a good job for Emerald. You're part of the future of this company and I don't have any hesitation in giving you this opportunity."

I won't pretend that I didn't expect this to happen. After all, John really didn't have a lot of choices. Oh, he could get a head-hunter and look for a new executive, but that would be expensive and time consuming. I had pretty much guessed he would ask me to take the job and I was prepared to accept.

"I'll do everything I can to warrant your trust in me, John. I think I can bring some new ideas to the table when the time comes. I do have a suggestion and a request, however."

"Go ahead," he said, intrigued.

"I don't see any need to replace Wray with another person. I believe the operations department has the bodies it needs to do the job. It's a matter of redistribution of the resources. I would assume that I and the other vice presidents would report directly to you."

"Go on."

"Siobhan Mulcahy will continue to act as my personal assistant. She has been an invaluable aid in her first year with Emerald and has a full understanding of the position. She would be ideal as my backup.

"In addition, Donna Witherspoon has looked after Wray's desk for a number of years. I've found her to be very efficient and competent. I believe she could serve both Siobhan and myself effectively without being overworked. Essentially, we would be combining four jobs into three."

I saw John smile for the first time that day.

"If you think you can do it that way, then I'm all for it. Are you sure about Ms. Mulcahy?"

"More than sure, John. I asked her to marry me on Saturday. She'll be a captive employee," I grinned.

"Marry? I didn't even know you were dating," he said in shock.

"We weren't. It's been one of those things that sort of crept up on us. We've been working closely for a year and all that time I think I knew I was falling for her and yet, we never even touched, much less dated."

"That's the strangest thing I've ever heard of," he said. "Are you positive?"

"Absolutely," I said with a big smile. "I don't think I've ever been this positive about anything."

"Well congratulations," he said with a big smile, rising and extending his hand. "I guess I'd better go down to her office and offer her my congratulations as well."

"I haven't said anything about the realignment of the Operations Department to her, John. I thought that I should wait until I talked to you. I wasn't sure if you would approve."

"Well then, I'll just keep it to your engagement for now. We can talk as a group when you've had a chance to tell her and Donna."

"Thank you, sir. I don't expect any problems, but I owe them an explanation of my thinking."

"Of course. I'll talk to you later then. Good luck," he said, extending his hand again.

I walked down the hall with John, stopping at Wray's office and Donna's desk.

"Donna, can I see you in the office, please?"

"Yes, of course," she said, clearly nervous.

I closed the door behind us and sat in one of Wray's big leather chairs while I motioned Donna to another.

"I take it you've heard the scuttlebutt about Wray?"

"Yes. I can't believe what I'm hearing though. Is it true ... about the boy I mean?

I nodded. "Yes, unfortunately. He's tendered his resignation. He won't be back."

"What's going to happen to me?" she asked with a worried look on her face.

"Do you think you can work for me?" I smiled.

I could see the relief in her face and her eyes beginning to glisten with tears.

"Oh, thank God. Yes, of course, Cam. I would be honoured to work for you."

"It won't be the same job, Donna. It will be a combination of your old job and some of Siobhan's responsibilities. Siobhan will continue to be my personal assistant as long as she's able."

"What's going to happen to Siobhan?" she asked, wide-eyed.

"Well, after we're married, she's going to be doing some of my old job and help you with the rest. She's planning on several children, so I'll need someone fully trained to take over for her. Someone I trust," I smiled.

"Married? You and Siobhan? That's wonderful. It's just what she was dreaming of," Donna said excitedly.

"Oh, she told you about her dreams, did she?"

"Sorry, I didn't mean to give away any secrets. She's been in love with you for ages. I was beginning to wonder if you'd ever realize it. I'm so happy for you," she said sincerely.

"I'm a little slow on the uptake, but I got the message Friday night. Anyway, your new job will begin right away. I'll be moving into Wray's office as soon as it's convenient. I'll need you to show me around. Siobhan will take my office. She already knows every nook and cranny of it. I'll leave it to you to decide where you want to work."

"Right now, I'm happy where I am ... especially with you in that office. It's going to be so much better now. This is wonderful news ... despite what happened to Wray. I feel for Marion. She must be sick about this."

"John talked to her and said she was really taken by surprise. I guess she had no idea about Wray's secret life."

"I've got to talk to Siobhan and congratulate her. She must be walking on air right now."

"We're both very happy, Donna. I know she'll be really pleased to be working with you too, but I haven't told her about the new structure, so let me talk to her first, please."

"Oh ... of course. Thank you, Cam. Thank you so much. This is a big relief."

"Well, you were never in danger of being let go, Donna. That was never going to happen. I'm just glad we have an opportunity to give you a new challenge."

I smiled and left to find Siobhan. It was time to fill my fiancée in on my plans. I found her sitting at her desk wearing a big smile and waiting for me.

"John came to congratulate me," she beamed. "He said I was very lucky to capture you. No one else had ever done that and he wondered if you would ever get married. I guess I showed him, huh?"

I leaned down and kissed her. "You sure did, sweetheart. Now, come into the office. We need to talk."

I laid out my plan for the department and I got a very big smile and "thank you" in response. We had talked beforehand about John's limited options and we both guessed he would ask me to assume the role. I was more delighted that my future bride would also be my work partner. Having Donna as our support was just icing on the cake.

We had called Doogie and Sassy on Sunday and told them of our engagement, swearing them to secrecy until I had talked to John and cleared my future role at Emerald. Both of them were delighted for us and somehow not surprised. That made me wonder until later when I learned Siobhan had confessed her love for me to Sassy and she, unable to keep a secret, had spilled the beans to Doogie. He, at least, had the good sense to say nothing to anyone.

I had hired her as my personal assistant and she was perfect in the role. That I fell in love with her and would marry her was something I never expected ... but would never regret. Of course, if we had all those children Siobhan was expecting, I would have to start looking for another personal assistant. Perhaps this time, it wouldn't be quite so personal.

END

Edited by ErikThread and DaveT with my thanks and appreciation. Any errors are mine alone. This story was previously posted on another site.

coaster2
coaster2
2,607 Followers