Demon Child Ch. 17

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Xantu
Xantu
614 Followers

Aylanna blinked and shrank back, "But you don't understand. He taught me how to recognize, treat, heal the victims, not..."

Mallinika held up her hand, her eyes fearful, "It does not matter. You must be careful, child, very careful. Have you not heard a word I have said? I am trying to save your life."

At that moment a group of chattering women came into the commons, heading for the table of food, calling formal greetings to Mallinika. They helped themselves to some food and came and sat nearby. Aylanna recognized Tindy and one of the others who had been at dinner. Tindy shot her a brief challenging look. Mallinika introduced them but the names were confusing and Aylanna's head was still swimming with the sense of fear and hardly listened.

The newcomers felt tense and for some reason, hateful. Aylanna shied away from their eyes, focusing on spooning up the last of her breakfast, ignoring the fact that it had cooled and congealed into a solid lump in the bottom of her bowl. As she ate, several more women filtered in, sitting down. Balla skittered in, smiling a friendly greeting, once again quiet in the presence of the others. Soon all eleven courtesans sat, eating, speaking in soft modulated tones to one another, pointedly not speaking to Aylanna or Balla, but staring openly at the new comer.

Mallinika took a deep breath, returning to her questions. The only clue to the fear still echoing inside her spirit, was her overly bright and cheerful tone, "Was there anything else you were good at or loved to do?"

Aylanna looked up cautiously at the group of curious faces, "I liked to ride. The Khan Bak Tai Twisted Dagger said that no warrior in his regiment had a closer bond with their mount than I." She could hear the pride in her voice, but her words were met with a chorus of giggles.

One of the other women spoke up in a bantering tone, "A ha'akh that would rather ride than be ridden."

Mallinika raised her hand, "Enough." She turned to Aylanna, "A courtesan has little opportunity to ride." Again there was a burst of giggles and Mallinika gave the other women a hard look, "In fact, riding is seen as a masculine skill among the Bak. And the term 'ride' is a coarse way to refer to sexual intercourse. It is odd to hear a female say she rides, usually a female is ridden. That being said, a Bak warrior must excel at the art of horsemanship, and for the Khan of the Twisted Dagger to make such a statement was high praise indeed."

Aylanna sat silent, her lips pressed together. She could feel her face heating the way it did whenever her emotions ran high and she took a deep shaky breath, silently repeating the calming words in her mind, 'a Bak warrior is in control of his body, his heart, and his mind'.

She sat up straighter and forced herself to smile, "Thank you, riding is like flying, it sets your spirit free upon the wind. I pity any who have not felt such freedom." Her uncanny grey eyes stared challengingly at the smirking faces of the other women.

Mallinika looked at her with a sudden respect in her eyes. Aylanna could sense a soft surge of admiration and suppressed humor from her new teacher and simultaneously a renewed wave of anger and resentment from the other courtesans.

Mallinika held up her hand, "It is time for us to start." Aylanna watched as the other women moved their sitting cushions back into half circle and sat silently. Mallinika glanced at Aylanna, "We will begin with a brief review of history so that our newest novice will have some understanding of the basics, then we will move on to the names of the important family members of the various houses." Mallinika walked over to a chest and after searching for a few minutes pulled out a scroll and began to read.

One of the other courtesans made a soft groan of boredom, whispering to the one next to her, "Oh goddess save us, not that old myth again." Someone hissed at her to be quiet.

The story Mallinika read was a very formally worded history of the war between the gods and demons. She read in a droning monotone and try as she might, Aylanna found she had great difficulty paying close attention, even when the story described the breaking of the world and then the mating between Pan'Shash'Sha'Am and Jha'Mak'Tah and the population of the world. Her mind kept wandering, hearing Kwal'kek's voice instead of Mallinika's, remembering happier times, sitting around the camp fire, surrounded by her warriors.

Mallinika moved on, reading from a new scroll about the history of Bak. It was dull and confusing, just a series of names and dates, one after another, with the courtesans repeating them in bored voices. Finally Mallinika put the scrolls away and the women stood and stretched.

There was a general sense of relief and happy anticipation and Aylanna watched as each of them got out a musical instrument, small drums, graceful little stringed lyres, and wooden flutes. Clearly, they enjoyed this portion of their lessons a great deal more than the sitting and listening to Mallinika read histories.

There was a general rearrangement of the cushions and soon a soft soothing melody began to fill the room. Mallinika moved to sit close to Aylanna, speaking a low voice into her ear, "They practice traditional folk songs for teaching and entertaining during meals. For now just listen. Soon I will learn where your particular skills lie and find the right instrument for you. But today, I just want you to watch them. Enjoy the music. It is a favorite part of our day, one of the few times they are truly in harmony."

Balla was tapping out a complex counter rhythm on a small drum, and then began to sing. Her voice was high and crystal clear. Aylanna found herself swaying in time to music, listening to a ballad of a girl that fell in love with warrior from a house forbidden and how she pined away, never once speaking to him, choosing death over failing in her duty to her family. There was a strict formula to the songs, the cadence and tones measured and the words always about longing and duty.

Mallinika clapped her hands twice and the music changed, beat superseding melody, the drums taking the lead, the tempo gaining momentum. One by one, most of the courtesans stood and joined the dance, their bodies and hands moving sensually in time to the music. The dancing caught Aylanna's imagination, the sinuous undulation of hips and arms, hands and feet moving in complex patterns. Faster and faster the drums pounded out the rhythms, the dancers whirling, their feet a blur on the floor, and their faces lit with a kind of fervor.

If the music was bound by rules and structure, the spirits of the dancers soared, riding the rhythms, finding a kind of freedom of expression that appealed to Aylanna. She watched closely, her body naturally swaying to the seductive cadences, her fingers tapping out the beat silently on her leg. She noticed Mallinika watching her with an approving smile and she could not help but smile in response.

Finally the beat reached a crescendo, the dancers whirling in wild gyrations and, with a crash, stopped abruptly. The dancers collapsed to the floor joining in with the good natured laughter of all involved.

Mallinika's voice was approving, "Well done." She walked over and helped one of the giggling women to her feet, "Hopefully, one day soon we will be asked to dance before an audience once again. Let me go over this evening's assignments." She named six of the women, telling them to fulfill their usual duties in the wives' quarters.

Turning to the two novices, Mallinika's voice was cool, emotionless, "Aylanna, I want you to fast for the rest of the day, report to the bathing room immediately after the evening meal so that you may be prepared for your formal acceptance as a member of the Khan's house."

There was a stir among the women, and Aylanna sensed more than one of them experienced a wave of sympathy. Her eyes widened as she realized not all of the courtesans harbored resentment toward her.

Mallinika continued, "Balla, I want you to accompany us for the ceremony. Aylanna will benefit from a familiar face." Aylanna felt a small hand slip into hers and looked down into Balla's wide sympathetic eyes. The girl was so distressed that she did not have the heart to pull her hand away.

Aylanna spent the afternoon wandering the halls of her new cage, learning where the other courtesan's rooms were, glancing curiously at the wide stairway that lead up the wives' quarters, and avoiding the accusing stares of the ubiquitous guards. Most of the other women's rooms were clustered at the far end of the passageway from Mallinika's apartments, but Aylanna's room and Balla's were more centrally located. Finally she walked out into the continual rain and stood in the middle of the small courtyard, staring up at the heavy grey clouds. Soon she was drenched, her thin cotton dress clinging to her body, her curls hanging down.

A small movement caught her eye and she looked up into the wide dark eyes of a woman of middle years, staring down at her from one of the balconies above. As their gazes met, the woman's lips twisted into a bitter angry sneer and she turned away, disappearing through an open archway.

It was precisely after the evening meal when Mallinika summoned Aylanna to the bathing room.

Mallinika was already wearing a severe black dress and had heavy lines painted around her eyes. Balla and the one Aylanna remembered as being named Meriam were both in attendance, assisting with scrubbing her from top to toe the same scented abrasive sand mixture. Mallinika spoke briskly.

"You will be brought before the Aga Khan. You will prostrate yourself before him. The Khan or a delegate from House Broken Spear will speak and question you. You will not be expected to talk at length, but you will be required to respond in an affirmative manner when asked if you will be loyal to the House Broken Spear and obey the Aga Khan without question."

"It is customary for you to be taken as a spoil of battle by the Khan or the one questioning you and some number of other members of the House Broken Spear. Then you will be given the mark of your new house. Balla and I will be there, but we will not be close by. You will be on your own. Answer yes to the questions, do not resist and you will survive to see another day. Do you have any questions?"

Aylanna had listened silently, wordlessly shook her head and Mallinika gave her a quick look. Her brow was furrowed with concern.

"Your success or failure will reflect upon us all, even upon your former regiment. Remember that. Nothing you choose to do will affect you alone."

Aylanna stared back, "I understand. I am to agree and cooperate." She did little to hide the bitterness in her tone.

Mallinika sent Balla to dress herself as was fitting to be presented before the Khan. They covered Aylanna in only her shift, Mallinika commenting that she would be displayed before the Khan nude so there was no need for her more ornate dress.

There was a bit of a debate over how to dress her hair, Mallinika finally opting to twist it into parallel braids across her head. "We will not bother with makeup; your coloration is part of what makes you unique. It would be foolish to cover any of it."

"The time draws close." She smiled teasingly as Balla rushed into the room, wearing a heavily embroidered gown, her little face elaborately painted so her large eyes appeared even larger, directing her words at the breathless girl, "And it would not bode well if we were to keep the Khan and his court waiting. The ritual of taking a new courtesan is a rare diversion. And I would expect there to be many who will be in attendance. Already there are rumors of the strange new creature the Khan has claimed from the Twisted Dagger."

They were escorted through the labyrinth of corridors by four huge armed guards. At a huge door, they paused and Mallinika pulled the dress off over Aylanna's head. She frowned and smoothed back a tendril of scarlet hair that had already somehow escaped from its braid. She whispered quickly, "Do not be afraid. Follow my council and you will do fine."

Aylanna felt strangely calm, "I am not afraid."

Two of the guards took hold of her arms and pushed her through the door. The room beyond was cavernous and crowded with people. There was a continual hum of whispered conversations and movement as people shifted and jostled for positions. Despite her words of courage, Aylanna's heart faltered at the sea of faces that turned to stare as the crowd parted, opening an avenue into the open center of the room. There was no need to remember to lie on the floor, the guards unceremoniously shoved her down and remained standing over her.

There were too many people here; the room was awash with unfamiliar emotions. In many ways the level of emotion rivaled anything she had experienced before; the chaos besieged her spirit, confusing her thoughts. Aylanna lay limp, hiding her face against the hard stone floor, struggling to find some way to shut out the clamor.

At first she did not even hear the voice of a man speaking in formal words. The sounds of conversation died away, but this did nothing to ease the weight of the pent up emotions that threatened to wash her away. Then the memory of Jhardron teaching her to float, his voice soft and penetrating telling her to relax, to let go of her fear and trust the water to buoy her up, rose up and caught her, lifting her up, just as his hands had held her face above the water. And she felt herself rising over the turbulence, her thoughts calming. A voice penetrated her awareness, "...claims this woman for the House Broken Spear. She will be trained and serve as Courtesan to the Court of the Aga Khan."

The guard's hands reached down and lifted her to her feet and Aylanna blinked looking around and seeing the dais before her. The Aga Khan sat on a massive, black stone throne, once again wearing the gilded leather armor of a warrior.

His posture was rigid and he stared directly at her, but his eyes were dull and uncomprehending. There was a furtive movement in the shadows behind the chair and Aylanna felt that same sensation of horrified revulsion. Briefly she lost her equilibrium, her fear dragging her down and she swayed and nearly fell as the wave of swirling emotions rose up and surged against her.

A face swam into her blurred vision, the lips moving, and the words sounding strange in her ears, "Do you pledge to serve the House Broken Spear, to obey the Aga Khan in all things?"

Aylanna blinked and stared bewildered at this new person. He was old but he radiated strength and impatience. He frowned and demanded, "What say you woman?"

Gathering her splintered senses, she spoke her voice quivering, "I pledge to serve and obey."

His voice was loud, pitched to carry to all corners of the vast room, "Do you swear fealty to the House Broken Spear and loyalty to the Aga Khan above all others?"

His last words, 'above all others' slashed through the last of her confusion. Slowly an icy resolve took hold of Aylanna and she stood straight, lifting her head with pride, "I swear to serve, to perform my duties to the House and its Khan. I swear to obey and protect the Aga Khan with my life. I will be a proud servant to the House Broken Spear." And then she paused, staring past the old man questioning her to the Khan sitting on his throne. "I do not speak such words lightly. Once I swear loyalty, I will never betray my pledge."

"I would ask, is it possible to be loyal to two houses? For I have given my heart to the Twisted Dagger and once given I cannot take it back. I owe the Bak Tai Twisted Dagger my life and I will never betray them, even if it means that I must disobey you my Khan."

There was a hiss as the watching people began to whisper rapidly to one another. The old man speaking seemed taken aback at her unexpected words.

His eyes narrowed, and his voice was harsh, "A woman cannot serve two houses. It is not for you to decide where your loyalty will lie. The House Broken Spear has no use for a servant that places conditions upon her obedience!"

"Wait!" The word cracked loud in the room, silencing even the sibilant whispers from the watching throng. Aylanna's eyes widened as the Aga Khan stood and almost staggered as he moved toward her. His eyes were feverish, "You said you would protect me with your life?"

Aylanna resisted the urge to shrink back. There was a wild kind of mania raging through the Aga Khan, his mind aflame with fears and suspicions. Looking at him with concern, she murmured for his ears alone, "My Khan, I swear that I will never harm you. If it is within my power, I will always stand between you and danger."

He reached for her, his hands burning hot on her shoulders, "If you know of a plot against my life, would you tell me?" He shook her with each word as if to wring the words from her.

Gently Aylanna reached up, taking his hands, sensing the sickness raging through his body and mind. "My Khan, I swear I know nothing of a plot against you. But if I should learn of such a thing, I would tell you. I swear this."

She reached out and placed her hand upon his chest, peering into his eyes. She could tell something was very wrong with him, his heart was racing, his skin felt unnaturally hot, but strangely dry. She let her spirit merge with his, soothing, calming and trying to sense some cause for his illness. His spirit was so profoundly lonely and weak. It was like he was holding himself up by his will alone. Aylanna forgot the rest of the room and stared into his eyes, communicating directly to his shattered heart that he wasn't alone, that she was here with him.

Someone gripped her arm, yanking her away; the lisping wet words of the strange black garbed magician rang in her ears, "What secret words do you whisper in his ear? Do you think to cast an enchantment upon your Khan with your demon voice? Your words have already condemned you to death."

At the touch Aylanna lunged away, her eyes wide with instinctive fear. But the Aga Khan held up his hand, his voice stronger and clearer than before. "Hold, do not assume to speak for me. I, the Aga Khan of the Bak, declare that I accept this woman as servant and courtesan to my court. She has sworn loyalty to me and the fact she refuses to betray her former house speaks of an integrity and honest spirit that has long been missing from my court."

The magician stared at her malevolently, wiping at a string of drool that spilled from one corner of his twisted mouth with the voluminous sleeve of his robe. His lips contorted into a ghastly grin, revealing a disturbing mass of yellow misarranged teeth. He cringed and groveled subserviently, "Of course, my Khan, if you so declare, so it will be." But his single eye did not once leave the form of Aylanna and she shuddered at its touch. Dabbing again at the wetness that oozed from his mouth, he slurred, "So let the Broken Spear claim its share of the Twisted Dagger treasure."

The Aga Khan stood swaying staring at her. For an instant Aylanna wondered if he heard the wizard's words, but then he nodded, his eyes going dull once again and turned, his knees almost buckling. The wizard reached quickly taking his arm, supporting and guiding him toward the throne, his voice low as he whispered into the sick leader's ear. The sounds of the court swelled, whispers and here and there the incongruous sound of stifled laughter. The old man who had questioned her stood forth once again. Aylanna could tell he was disturbed, even angry, but his words were loud and clear, "The Broken Spear claims this woman." He held up his hand and a half dozen warriors stepped forward. Aylanna's eyes widened as she recognized the khan of the Bak Tai Broken Spear, the same man that had lost the red stallion in a wager with Jhardron at the gathering so soon after she had been first taken as ha'akh.

Xantu
Xantu
614 Followers