Demon's Grace Ch. 32-37

Story Info
Enjoy your last night without me.
11.1k words
4.79
11.2k
9

Part 15 of the 19 part series

Updated 10/30/2022
Created 03/13/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
akbunny
akbunny
191 Followers

CHAPTER 32

I told Ezra what had happened and hoped that he would have some insight about it, but all he said was that he would think about it. Which I should have known. I squinted my eyes as we walked into the well lit lobby of the hotel.

His eyes bored into me with warning. "Enjoy your last night without me."

I leaned in close and whispered into his ear, "I am not your pet and you are not my keeper." I moved in closer until the front of our bodies touched, "Nor are you to me."

Ezra became completely still, not even a breath stirred his chest. I turned and walked to the elevator, rubbing my head in an inadequate attempt to make the pain inside of it go away. It was later, when I was in the room and climbing into bed, that I felt a renewed flash of flame sear through me. I fell onto the mattress gasping for breath as a trail of unseen fire moved in and around me. Sweat beaded on my forehead and I swiped it out of my eyes. Groaning, I pushed my hand in my mouth to keep my agony from voicing itself.

Moments of time passed that I couldn't remember. Between them I crawled to the bathroom and climbed into the bath tub. I kept repeating to myself that I would not call Taurin to ease the fire inside of me. I bet Ezra was counting on my hesitation. I was almost 100 percent sure that this was his doing. I would rather it be his doing then the thought that I had completely fried my magic and it was only now burning itself to a crisp.

The cold water soaked through my clothes and I barely noticed. I sat in the tub in a daze while incomplete thoughts and memories flooded my mind. 'What the hell am I doing with two demons?' and 'I'm a killer.' were the dominate ones. The fire came back with force. My collar bone and shoulder burned. I clumsily tore my t-shirt off and looked at my smoking skin.

More scales were appearing and burning themselves into my skin. I thrashed in the water and submerged myself to ease the pain. I pushed up through the water, gasping for breath and watching steam rise off the surface. Scales covered half of my neck, down to my hip, and over one breast. Stubbornly I refused to send even the faintest link that I wanted help from either of them. Then something inside uncurled and ran throughout me with fire on each limb. Inside and out I burned. Steam fogged the mirror and I leaned over the tub and passed out.

I woke to Ezra asking Taurin if all was ready. He leaned over me and I stared into his eyes. "Satisfied?" I coughed out of a dry throat.

"Dove," he gently cradled my chin in his hand, "I am your keeper."

I tried to laugh or even argue, but didn't have the energy to. "Then take me home," I barely whispered instead as he gathered me into his arms.

"I am," he said resolutely. "We're going my way this time." Ezra took a deep breath and seemed to slide sideways. Vertigo slammed into me and I groaned, passing out again. I awoke to see Ezra sitting in a chair next to the bed. He put down his magazine on his lap and looked over at me immediately.

"Before you ask, you have two demons'... I hesitate to say marks since that denotes servant, but rather we put a piece of our magic inside of you. They seem to be," he smiled with irony, "fighting with one another for dominance." My eyes widened and I opened my mouth to speak, but he held up a hand to forestall me.

"It seems I am winning. Which is no surprise to either Taurin or myself. Did you find yourself freezing at all last night in the bath tub?"

I paused to think about it. I cleared my throat and said, "No."

"Mmm hmm."

"Are you and Taurin aware of this fight going on inside of me?"

"We theorized it. We are aware when our magic is amped up and not within ourselves."

"So you knew there was something going on last night, but waited to check it out?!"

"I wanted you to deal with it yourself. After all, it is a part of you now. If you are unable to acclimate to it then I will be your keeper for as long as you are alive, simply to keep you sane. It was only when Taurin and I felt you completely black out that I allowed him to go to you. I wanted to stay away, but he was going and I would not let him go to you without me."

My face tightened in anger, "You two are using me as a pawn for your power struggle! I don't fucking believe this! Aaaarrrggg!" I roared.

He shrugged.

I looked up to see Taurin leaning on the door frame, arms crossed. "Not only that, but you're telling me that I might go crazy because of this bullshit! What is wrong with you two?!" I rolled out of bed and went to the bathroom, slamming the door.

I heard Taurin laugh and say, "She took that rather well."

"You guys are shit heads! Go fuck yourselves!" I yelled through the door.

"I find that Dove has a calming influence on me," came Ezra's reply.

Taurin laughed again, "You're serious!"

I opened the door, tired of listening to them through it. "Get out of my bedroom, you... you... Rrrrggg!" I slammed the door again.

I looked down at my shoulder and noticed that the scales were back to their small patch on my skin. I needed a teacher to show me if there was a way to block Ezra and Taurin off. The only person I knew who had first hand knowledge was Zanzibar. I showered, changed, and headed into the kitchen to get the phone book. I ignored both of them as I furiously flipped through the yellow pages. Whipping out my cell I walked outside and dialed the number to the club. I left a message for Zanzibar asking for a meeting or at least for him to call back. I walked back into the kitchen, shoving my cell in my jean pocket.

Back in the living room I watched Ezra make small colored flames dance and whirl above his palm. His eyes moved to me and the flames whizzed away from his palm to dance around me. "They like you. They approve of my choice."

My lip curled slightly, "You're controlling them."

"In a way, but you should know, especially after last night, that fire has a will of its own too."

I sighed heavily and leaned against the wall. "I'm going after Oldavai."

Ezra raised his eyebrows. "Now?"

"Yes. It would be good for me to go after one problem at a time and you and Taurin aren't going anywhere."

Ezra smiled and narrowed his eyes, "No. We are not going anywhere."

I stormed to the back yard, small colored flames dancing around me. I grabbed my blade off the kitchen table and twirled it around in my hand as I continued walking. When I got out into the sunlight I continued twirling the blade in ritual. I stabbed it forcefully into the earth and threw out my power to find Oldavai.

My breathing became deeper and slower the longer I stayed. The whole world was my destination. I scented him out, but he was moving through different dimensions. These were the places of Taurin's Ice Fields and Ezra's dragons and he was moving unbelievably fast. I would barely catch a glimpse of him before he was gone. The glimpse was like looking through moving water. I had no distinct image as to what he looked like.

Even when I caught up to him I couldn't tell what he looked like, his being a blur. He looked up at a sign I couldn't understand on a four story building. His hands touched the old stones as he walked around the building, searching. He bent down low and traced a symbol etched into the wall. His hand beckoned me to look at it. "You see this, demon hunter? I will find out who and where you are. This will tell me and I will be hunting you." He chuckled and vanished.

I shook myself back to my body to find the sun had set. I pulled my blade out of the ground and walked into the kitchen to rummage up a sandwich. The house felt strangely empty. I checked my cell and listened to a message from Zanzibar saying that I could meet him in two days at 3 p.m. in his office or on the phone. I called back and left a message agreeing to be there. I walked to the meditating room and lit four of the candles, placing them around me. Sitting on the mat I stared into the fire only to find that it stirred Ezra's magic inside of me. Unused to the sensation I hastily closed my eyes and concentrated on my breath instead. I imagined a thick fog warding my spirit and stayed there quieting my thoughts. A pleasant smell invaded my meditation and I sniffed trying to place it. I opened my eyes to a room full of dissipating fog, much as I imagined inside myself. My magic was changing faster than I could control or even understand. I stood up and scanned the room for anything unfamiliar. Finding nothing, I left the room, the unidentified scent faintly following me into my bedroom. The scent faded as I made myself ready for sleep. Without either of the demons nearby I found myself relaxing. My muscles unknotted around the shoulders and neck.

I sighed and crawled on to the bed picking up the magazine that Ezra had left on the quilt. Flipping through it I read articles about the underground world while waiting for drowsiness to overcome me. I placed the magazine down in my lap when my thoughts moved to Regina. I wondered if she was completely delusional or if I needed to look out for an "angel" who was interested in changing me. From there my thoughts became even more depressing as I wondered about the state of my soul.

I had killed someone and felt conflicting emotions. I knew I was defending myself and I felt that I was in the right, but... then why did I hide the evidence? I didn't cry over my decision to kill her, was that moral behavior? I never cried over the demons I killed, did that count? My thoughts chased themselves around and around in my head until I screamed out my frustration. Of course, Ezra choose that moment to enter the house. He slowly walked into the bedroom and gave me an analyzing stare.

CHAPTER 33

"Ahhh! No, I'm not going crazy so quit looking at my like that!" I picked up the magazine and threw it across the room. Ezra was tilting my face up to look in my eyes before it fluttered and smacked the wall.

He studied me some more despite my efforts to wretch my chin from his grip. When my hand circled his wrist he finally spoke. He spoke softly. "No. Something is bothering you though."

His other hand came up to smooth away the frown lines from my forehead and I found myself obliging to that touch. He moved onto the bed, pushing me over to the other side. As he turned over onto his stomach I let him grab me around the waist. I remained complacent with the movement that shoved me partly underneath him so that I was staring up into his galaxy of stars.

I shook my head and gave a small smile, "Why is it that with even the simplest movements you must somehow assert yourself over me?"

Ezra merely tilted his head and gave me his own smile, "Tell me what is going on in that mind of yours."

I shook my head at him again. "What is going on in here?" I tapped my skull. "The state of my soul maybe. The consequences of killing a woman and fellow demon hunter. What's going on with me. Have I lost my morals? Do I even know what good and evil really are? What's so different from her doing whatever it was she was doing to demons and me killing them? The law?" I gave a heavy sigh.

Ezra chuckled. "You would worry about these things."

"I didn't even cry when I killed her. I don't cry when I kill demons."

"Killing is an assertion of power. A validation that you will live another day, at least when it comes to you killing, Dove. Your lack of tears means nothing to me, nor should it to you."

"I still feel like I should feel some sort of remorse and I feel miserable because I don't!"

Ezra shrugged.

I grew frustrated with him and sat up against the wall. "You won't go after Melous. How would you feel if we did kill him? Would you shrug then?!"

Ezra burst out laughing. "Melous! Oh, Dove! Do you know how long I have been living?"

"I try not to think about demons in that capacity. Generally you are all very long lived. It's debated if you are actually immortal. Are you?"

He gave me a curious look, "Am I?"

"Whatever!" I waved my hands in frustration, "Fu....dge... What's the point you're making?"

"My point is that I have a demon and dragon way of life. My reasons for not going after Melous are mostly scientific and prideful." He paused and looked at me thoughtfully. He stretched up and tenderly kissed me. I kissed him back in kind, wondering at his look.

"It is amazing how much you are learning about me. But, that is what happens when two become as close as we are. You will keep my revelations from others?"

I sighed in frustration. "I won't say anything Ezra. You were going to tell me about Melous."

"Yes. I made Melous what he is today."

I stared at him. "What exactly does that mean?"

"I made Melous into one of us."

There was silence for a few moments. "You mean... like you are his father or you made him more powerful?"

Ezra shook his head. "No Dove, I mean that I made Melous into a demon. Melous was Bardellis' son. Melous asked me to use him for my own experiments and to try to turn him into a demon. I succeeded beyond my own expectations. Bardellis disinherited him and he changed his name to Melous."

I was speechless. I opened my mouth and then closed it.

"We are not going after Melous because Bardellis wants it and because I made him into what he is today."

I closed my eyes briefly. "There are so many things wrong with this conversation I'm having with you."

Ezra laughed heartily.

"He wants us to kill his own son!? You made him into a demon!? He wanted to be a demon?!"

Ezra chuckled and then sighed as he inched closer to me on the bed. "The three of us are scientists. Each with our own agenda, but assisting with each other's experiments. We worked within close proximity to one another. Melous found out about my research and proposed a variation on it. So I took a willing subject. He may be a young demon, but he has lived a long time, Dove. He knew what he wanted."

I eyed him warily, "You know that I looked at your file in the Affairs' computer system?"

Ezra became still and stared at me. "Yes, Taurin left the print out on the table."

I didn't look back at him, but stared distractedly at the clutter on my dresser top. "I saw the reports that they had about you. Were those your scientific research?"

"Yes."

"What were you trying to do?" The air in the room seemed thick and heavy around us. I finally turned to look at him only to find him looking away distractedly towards the closet.

He glanced my way briefly. "Did you notice that demons will not seriously reference themselves as demons?"

My eyes widened, the thought never occurred to me.

"I thought not. In fact I do not believe that there was ever a non-demon that would ever realize that we do not call ourselves that word with dignity. We have taken it back and used it for ease of conversation, but it is an insult to call each other 'demon'." He gave a half smile, "We do do that to each other though, frequently," he chuckled. "It is also the easiest way to reference our kind when talking to those who are not us. We like to avoid it even then though."

Ezra took a breath and eased closer to me. I watched his hand turn red as it moved to lay on my leg. I followed the progress of his demon self flowing into view.

"My brothers," I whispered in understanding.

"Yes," Ezra confirmed.

"Should I refrain from calling you and Taurin demons?"

"No, it is easier that way. You realize that we are insulting your kind when we call you demon hunters?" He paused to look at me. "Because to us, you are hunting something that is non-existent. Like children chasing shadows." He laughed again and shoved at me in a teasing manner.

I gave him a play pout and huff. He flicked his hand at me and smiled.

"Let me continue," he said as his face grew serious again. "My research was to track down the DNA and magic of our race. Only it is more complicated because of our parentage." As Ezra talked he tapped the tips of his fingers together and peered from the tops of his eyes. He seemed to be looking at memories that were beyond me. "What you might have figured out by now is that we are demon through the male and other through the female. In my case, my mother was a Dragon." He looked over at me. "In Taurin's case, his mother was an Ice Maiden. And so on and so forth for all of us. Hence why we are different and yet the same. The question that has lived in us for so long is where does the demon DNA and power come from and what causes it to act the way it does."

Ezra took a deep breath through his nose. I kept quiet and wasn't about to interrupt him since this was the most he had ever talked to me about something so personal. "I thought that if I could decode where the DNA split and came back together that I could figure out any number of questions that plagued my mind. There are so many of us that want to be an integral part of a species and not one that is so incomplete, as many believe themselves to be."

He framed my face and stared me directly in the eyes. "I trust you, Dove. I trust you completely. These are fragile words that I tell you. They are the reasons for so many behaviors. They are full of wounds should you ever use them. The repercussions of using them as weapons against demons are beyond fatal. I would rather you swear then use them as taunts during one of our hunts. If you do say demon, speak as if you are ignorant, even if you are going to kill one of my brothers."

I swallowed, "You've made yourself very clear."

He pulled his hands away and I watched as his face became stoney and he stared off into space. "That was the core of my research. Melous offered me a variation and I was able to rip apart his DNA with my fire and insert a muddled, incomplete demon DNA into him, via injection and magic." He looked at me briefly, "DNA from a failed extraction."

I sat in silence as I played over his words. "And this failed extraction?"

"It has caused Melous to have three different species inside of him."

I nodded. "But, he's doing ok?"

"More than. His body has been able to accommodate the procedure and he is still learning what he is and what he is not."

"So, you are saying that other demons are trying to figure out these questions as well?"

He gave me an intense stare, "Yes."

"But, you stopped."

"Yes."

"Are there any female demons?"

"No."

"Why?"

"I do not know, Dove. There has never been anyone to answer that with definite proof."

"Oh. We never really talked about it." I said distractedly. "I mean demon hunters." I paused and looked at him, "Why do demons instinctively go after us?"

Ezra looked up at the ceiling and smiled. "Oh, that. There is no concrete answer that is acceptable for me for that question either."

My face frowned in confusion, "Explain what you heard or... deduced. Please." My thought strayed to my past as I thought about my mom.

Just as Ezra turned to look at me again I felt a cool waft of air circulate into the bedroom. "Taurin," we said at the same time. He never showed up in the bedroom door frame though. We looked at each other curiously and listened to the sounds of someone stumbling around the living room. As I moved off the bed Ezra placed his hand on my arm and gave me a cautious look. I silently moved to the door with Ezra just behind me.

CHAPTER 34

We looked out and watched Taurin clumsily place pieces of plant on the coffee table. His bright blue shirt collar was open, the tails pulled out around his pants. He padded barefoot into the kitchen, never looking our way. I watched as his hands reached out to steady himself on what ever solid object was closest. I followed his progress to the kitchen while Ezra leaned over the crumpled plants. From the entry way I hesitantly called his name. He turned off the faucet and swung around to face me, a glass of water in his hand.

"Dove!" He smiled wide at me.

akbunny
akbunny
191 Followers