Devils and Butterflys Ch. 01

Story Info
All about Esme.
1k words
4.16
7.1k
8

Part 1 of the 9 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 05/24/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The ebony sky above burst and danced with intense colour. Esme watched in awe as the colours shattered and formed dazzling shapes above her. She suddenly became aware of the cold wet feeling around her legs and looked down at her feet. She was up to her knees in thick black water. She jolted suddenly as the sound of splashing filled her ears, and to her horror there was a small familiar girl in front of her, struggling to stay above the water. Esme scrambled her way towards her, trying hopelessly to grab the tiny hand that so desperately reached out to her. Without warning everything slowed down, and esme heard a voice she had missed so much calling her name. Her heart leaped to her throat as she watched her father jump without any hesitation into the dark murky water. Esme swallowed down her hurt.

"Daddy Don't"!

She screamed as loud as her lungs would allow but her voice was barely a whisper. As his body hit the tar like water it swallowed him whole, dragging him under. Esme frantically tried to move her legs to reach her father but the water around her had turned into a thousand hands holding her place. The little girl that had been in such desperate need of saving was now safely above and out the water, looking down at esme from a muddy hill. Her expression was sorrowful before twisting in repulsion and hatred.

"This is your fault it should have been you, it should have been you, it's your fault!!" She screamed repeatedly.

Her words rang in esme' ears as the pain crushed her chest, destroying what was left of her heart. The ebony sky fell around her enveloping her in darkness as she allowed the water to drag her under. -

Esme shot up panting, her duvet covers wrapped tightly round her. She hung her face in her hands and rubbed her temples. The nightmare excausted her everytime she had it. She glanced at her bedside clock.

4.30am.

She sighed and climbed out of bed, slipping her feet into her slippers she made her way downstairs for a glass of water. The rain fell heavily outside and esme watched sleepily as the rain ran in squiggley lines down her window. After a few quite minutes of watching the rain fall she glanced at her phone. No messages no emails. Of course there wasnt, everyone else was asleep esme thought with annoyance, and yet she knew she was up now. There was no way she could go back to sleep. She never could after a nightmare. Especially and more specifically the one that involved the death of her father. She pulled out her laptop and switched it on. May aswell get ahead with work she thought to herself. She loved working from home. She wasnt an outgoing person and she hated the thought of working for someone else. She had worked hard to set up her own business and she was proud to say she owned two boutiques. She had a passion for shabby chic and she loved making her own clothes. Her laptop came to life and an image of her and her father filled the screen. She stared at the image before clicking on her accounts. She remembered the moment the photo was took well. She smiled with watery eyes at the memory. It was cliche but her father had been her hero. He was the best man she had ever known. Her mother had passed away when she was a baby so her father and grandparents were all she had known. Esme felt cheated that she had never known her mother. Her father always spoke of her though and shared memories and photos with esme. Every night before going to sleep her father would say without fail,

"Goodnight beautiful esme. Me and your mother love you all the way to the stars and back again."

The memory warmed esme's heart but broke it repeatedly whenever she thought of her parents. Esme eventually fell asleep at her laptop before a knock on the door pulled her from her slumber. She got up, her mind clouded and rubbing the ache in her neck. She opened the door to her best friend leaping up and down in excitement.

"Where have you been sleepy head! Ive been calling you all morning!"

"Oh i erm-"

"Nevermind! I have some exciting news to tell you! Im getting married!"

Clara had been esme's best friend since they were about 5. They had remained close all their lives and when esme lost her father she had lent on clara heavily through the grieving process. Esme watched as her best friend danced around her living room.

"Clara im so happy for you! You so deserve this."

Esme wrapped her arms around clara with watery eyes and pulled her close. She was as good as a sister and esme loved her dearly.

"Look at the ring he picked mee mee ."

Mee mee was clara's childhood nickname for esme it still made esme smile when she heard it.

"Its gorgeous clara, really beautiful. I hope he knows how lucky he is to have you."

Esme flicked the kettle on and began preparing tea for clara and herself.

"Well of course you know your bridesmaid right?"

Esme nodded grinning.

"But i want to ask you something else esme and feel free to say no if it's too much, but i would really love for you to make my wedding dress."

Esmes eyes grew large and instantly filled with tears.

"Are you serious!?"

"Of course! You're the best dress maker i know and my best friend, how could i not ask!"

Raw emotion choked esme, preventing her from speaking. Clara laughed and pulled her back into a hug.

"Of course i will!" Esme answered through the tears.

The rest of the morning was filled with all talk involving the wedding. Clara eventually left late afternoon for work and esme was left alone to start getting ready for her date this evening.