Devonny Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
theDuskyGirl
theDuskyGirl
1,104 Followers

There was a knock at the door and Devonny let Annie and Leanna who were chatting gaily into the room to change into their identical gowns. They helped each other by buttoning the small row of buttons up the back of the gowns. Lastly they stepped into black slippers. The girls pulled their hair up on top of their heads in tightly wound buns. Devonny's riotous curls did not lend itself to such a smooth look. Rather, she took up the length of black ribbon and wound it twice around the crown of her head and tied a small bow at the nape of her neck and thus succeeded in holding the dark curls back from her face.

When she exited into the kitchen Moira informed her that the dinner guests had arrived and been seated. Moira handed Devonny a bottle of wine and instructed her to keep an eye on the guests glasses and refill them but to use discretion and remain careful not to allow them to imbibe to the point of inebriation but never to refuse a guest any request.

Devonny and the male butlers were lined in the doorway with covered platters, Leanna and Annie behind them with their own set of instructions. A male butler came to stand beside Devonny, he would carry the wine on its own tray whereas Devonny would serve it when necessary.

Devonny followed the procession into the dining room where the massive length of the table was lined with guests. The men were all dressed impeccably, the women in the finest gowns of every Devonny had ever seen outside of a dressmakers display. The women at Madam Pomfrey's place had all garbed themselves in the most expensive of fabrics though they lacked the elegance of these gowns and the presence of these women here. They were born into wealth and thus assured of their place in the world. Devonny would have given anything to be assured of hers.

Devonny made her way from guest to guest, the butler at her elbow. She made sure not to make eye contact anyone though Eli caught her eye and winked. She hid a smile. Gabriel, she was certain, was content to ignore her completely as usual.

When she was finally able to retreat to her place near the wall, she allowed herself to discreetly peruse the guests. They were all very near to the ages of Eli and Gabriel themselves with the exception of an older gentleman here and there.

The woman at Gabriel's right hand was a vision. She was skin was creamy and her blond locks glowed golden. Her gown was light blue silk and molded to her body contours She wore pearls about her neck and her bosom almost spilled out of the front of her gown, sculpted to perfection. She and Gabriel were talking and trading smiles. Devonny wondered if Gabriel recognized the obvious adoration in the woman's gaze. And she wondered if that adoration was reciprocated. Gabriel's face split into a smile, revealing even white teeth against tanned skin. It certainly looked as though he was equally enamored of her.

Gabriel's gaze suddenly flickered to her suddenly, his gaze meeting hers. Their eyes held. Devonny was again found herself trapped by Gabriel Davenport's piercing dark gaze. His gaze searched her face before traveling lower to peruse her bosom swelling against the neckline of the gown. The gown showed off the litheness of her figure quite nicely and the golden color of her skin. He supposed he might as well look his fill before she was back in the black gown buttoned up to her chin and her exquisite skin was once again covered.

When his gaze had traveled back to her face she quickly averted her gaze and busied herself filling the glass of a guest. Gabriel returned his attentions to the lovely Miss Abigail Harding at his side though he allowed his gaze to leisurely wander back to Devonny on occasion throughout the remainder of the meal.

Dinner had finished and the string quartet had begun playing. More guests had flooded into the house and couples lined the floor and moved through the complicated dance steps. Devonny was now moving about those milling around the outskirts of the room offering trays of sweet meats and pastries to the guests. When her tray had run low she returned to the kitchen.

Moira beamed at her. "Goodness, child. You look dead on your feet."

Devonny merely smiled thinly as she began placing pastries on another tray. Moira stopped her hand. "Why don't you take your ease for a bit. The smaller parlor across from the dancing is closed off but you can go in there and listen to the music."

Devonny started to protest when Moira merely shook her head, "Go."

Devonny smiled and placed a quick kiss on Moira's pink cheek before slipping out into the foyer and then quietly moving into the smaller parlor.

There she sank into the settee. She slipped the black slippers off and tucked her stockinged feet beneath her. The leaned her head on her hand and listened to the strains of music playing.

The door creaked open and Eli stepped into the room, making a stilling motion when Devonny would have risen. Instead he came and sat beside her, sinking into the settee with a sigh.

A smile curved on her lips. "I see you're shirking your duties as a host," she said, her voice holding a teasing quality.

Eli laughed and shook his head. "Gabriel is the good host at these things," Eli said, "I'd rather be at the pub."

Devonny laughed at his blunt honesty and he turned to face her. "Ah, she laughs," he grinned and she shrugged.

They sat a moment merely looking at one another before Eli sprang to his feet. A devilish grin on his face, he turned to her and made a courtly bow, "A dance, my lady?"

Devonny burst out laughing. "I barely know the steps." But Eli was tugging her to her feet.

"I'll teach you." Pulling her close he whirled her about the room until they were both dizzy with laughter. But then he removed his jacket and laid it over the back of the settee. His face took on a mock sternness as he straightened and offered his hand. Devonny slipped her hand into his. Carefully guiding her, Eli led her through the complicated steps and turns.

Eli smiled faintly watched as Devonny caught on quickly and moved gracefully through the steps. Their hands touched as they came together then turned and moved apart. They came back together palms meeting and standing close.

"Eli," Gabriel's voice startled her. She faltered in her steps and tripped over the hem of her gown. Eli pulled her against him to steady her holding her there yet when she made a small movement to disentangle herself. Eli's arm slid around her waist and he held her still. Face heating, Devonny stared up at Elijah then averted her gaze as Gabriel spoke.

"We have guests, Eli." His voice was stony.

Eli shrugged not releasing Devonny. "I was just taking my ease with Devonny, here, and enjoying the music and her lovely company."

Gabriel scowled. Eli had not yet released Devonny. His jaw tightened and he felt his hands curling into fists at his side. "I'll see you back with our guests." And he turned and stalked from the room.

Devonny pulled abruptly out of Eli's arms. "What are you doing?" Her voice was indignant.

Eli shrugged and reached for her again pulling her close. "Shhh, Devonny," he soothed, holding her against him. She stilled suddenly. His voice was soft. "I am sorry, Devonny."

She glared up at him. "Why did you do that?" She tugged out of his grasp and plunked down onto the settee.

Eli sighed and sat down next to her. "My brother and I..." he began. "We have always been competitors in all that we do."

Devonny's gaze narrowed. "And what does that have to do with me?"

Eli looked chagrinned. "It has everything to do with you at the moment." Eli continued. "My brother, though he is loath to admit it, seems to have a particularly strong attraction to you which he does not appear to understand nor care to consider at length."

Devonny scowled. "I'm aware of that, thank you. But I would much prefer it if you would leave me out of your sport and not torment him so."

Eli stared at her. His eyes narrowed on her, his look serious. "You are aware?"

Her eyes widened realizing what she had said. She stammered, "Pardon me, sir, I must see to some things..." she made to stand only to have him catch her elbow and draw her back down beside him.

A frown marred his brow. "You are aware?" he repeated.

Devonny sighed as she folded her hands in her lap and her eyes drifted closed. "I am aware and I must not speak of it."

"Devonny--"

She shook her head vehemently. She felt his fingers slip beneath her chin and lift her face. She lifted her lids and found her face very close to his.

His voice was soft. "Has he done something to you?"

She drew back from him slightly. "I have promised...he bade me never to mention it again."

Eli looked taken aback. He looked both tender and concerned. He took her hand in his. "He did not..." his voice trailed off. "He did not force himself upon you did he?"

"No," Devonny seized his hand and faced him. "No he did not. He would not."

Eli looked at her seriously and nodded. He shrugged sheepishly. "I am sorry if you feel distressed at my attention, Devonny. But you see, the irony of the situation has not been lost on me and I feel compelled to take advantage of it."

She lifted on dark brow. "Irony?"

He sighed and sank lower on the settee. "I suppose I must tell you then..." his voice was soft. "When I was a boy, barely nineteen, I fell in love with a girl. She was the loveliest thing I'd ever seen, Devonny. Her name was Elena Marrow and I loved her instantly from the moment I laid eyes on her." He smiled faintly at the memory. "I saw her in a shop window one day. She was a seamstress. She loved me too...and I intended to marry her. But Gabriel would not hear of it. He said it would ruin our family name." His bright gaze darkened. "I intended to defy him. We were going to elope but when I went to the shop I found it boarded up and empty."

Devonny was gazing at him intently. "Where did she go? What happened to her?"

Eli's distant gaze slid to her. "Gabriel paid her father an ungodly sum, more than he'd make in a lifetime and more than he could refuse. He packed up his family, Elena and her mother, and left for the Americas. I did not hear from her again and had no way of finding her."

Devonny slipped her hand into his palm which lay upturned on his knee and squeezed gently. Her voice was soft. "I'm sorry, Elijah."

He gave her hand an answering squeeze and smiled. "So you see, I find his interest in you ironic. That my brother should find himself falling--" he halted. "That my brother should find himself so distracted by someone he would find so...unsuitable...it is my primary source of amusement at the moment. So perhaps you could allow me my amusement a little while longer."

She looked at him steadily, her amber gaze searching his face. "Perhaps," she said levelly.

Eli grinned and she returned his smile.

She held up her hand. "But..." she said her voice growing serious, "This job is all that I have. I have no one and nowhere to go should your brother decide to terminate my employment. The moment your play threatens my place here, is the moment that it halts."

He nodded solemnly. "I understand."

Devonny smiled faintly. "I should be getting back to my duties," she said rising smoothly from her seat.

Eli stood quickly. "Of course," he said. "Far be it is for me to distract you.:

Devonny laughed. "Go back to your party, Eli."

Eli once again gave a rakish grin and a mock bow. Catching her off guard he caught her around the waist and pulled her against him to press a kiss against brow.

Chuckling at her shocked expression, he turned and swaggered from the room.

Devonny rolled her eyes. Was every man in this family out of his mind?

She returned to the kitchen.

Moira glanced up at her. "Well you do look rather enlivened dear."

Devonny grinned and took up a tray of champagne flutes and retreated towards the ballroom.

Devonny carefully threaded her way through the crowd offering champagne to the guests.

The chandeliers glittered and the sweet melody of the string ensemble floated on the air. Ladies' laughter tinkled and there was a swirl of colors as the couples moved through the complicated steps.

Devonny moved deftly among the standing guests and then wandered towards the library with Annie and Leanna. The air was heavy with cigar smoke and raucous laughter. There were no women, only men at their card tables.

Devonny and the other two women set their trays of champagne down only to replace the trays contents with port and brandy. Some of the men hardly looked at her as she filled their classes. Others eyed her with more than passing interest.

Devonny moved to the table where Gabriel sat as relaxed as she'd ever seen him. His dark hair fell across his brow and he tossed back his drink as he grinned and dealt the next hand laughing with his companions. He glanced up at her and nodded to his empty glass. Devonny filled his glass and moved to the man at his right.

"Well, hello."

Devonny started, nearly dropping her tray as an arm closed around her waist. She twisted, setting the tray down on the table, as she steadied herself with her hand on a strong broad shoulder. Devonny gazed down at the man who held her half kneeling against his thigh.

He was young, not much older than she with light brown hair streaked with gold and swept precariously back from his face. Bright grey eyes assessed her from a startlingly handsome face.

He wore an officer's jacket, his cravat beneath undone. He grinned up at her, his gaze searching her face. "I don't believe we've met," he mused.

Devonny did a mental eye roll but smiled faintly and feigned a fittingly demure expression. "No, sir, we have not."

"Captain Andrew Roetke," he grinned. "And you are?"

"Uninterested," Devonny retorted.

She gasped at her own boldness, clapping a hand over her mouth and flushing with embarrassment.

The men at the table erupted into raucous laughter. Andrew Roetke's grin broadened. "Touché," he conceded. He took her hand in his and brushed a kiss across her knuckles. "Fair enough then, mysterious maiden. I release you."

His arm slid from around her waist and she stood, smoothing her skirts. She glanced at Gabriel whose dark gaze was lit with laughter. A smile curving on her full lips, she deftly refilled Andrew Roetke's glass and moved onto the other guests. The men returned to their game and Gabriel beckoned her to his side.

She bent close to hear him. "You may retire, Devonny if you like. The other two young ladies as well. I will have the valets take over here."

Devonny withdrew feeling eyes on her the whole way. She wondered if a particular emerald gaze was among those appraising gazes.

theDuskyGirl
theDuskyGirl
1,104 Followers
12