Dianna Ch. 01

Story Info
Yearly takes the money and runs!
14k words
4.55
24.6k
8

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 03/28/2012
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Iread2relax
Iread2relax
1,296 Followers

Hello, and welcome. This is my second attempt at writing a story. I really enjoyed this venture.

This story is a love story. It is a slow build up and not a lot of random sex from the start. I really want you to get to know the people in this tale. So, I hope you read this story and enjoy it.

I want to thank the following people who helped me create this fantasy: LaRascasse, my editor for really helping me with this. Kalamazoo707 and Donalde for helping me stay track and simply being there. Mostera1 for offer ing wisdom and encouragement, and finally, Mokkelke for being the best beta reader ever.

Any mistakes found throughout this story are my own, and not a reflection on any of the people who helped.

Again, thank you for reading and I hope you enjoy it.

*

Joseph Yearly was an ornery old man who was as tough as old shoe leather. He didn't like people, had no friends, and vanished from his family over a decade ago. He was a loner. He only talked to people if it was about money. Once a month he conversed with the Bouvier girl that collected his rent and that was it. He liked that girl, and he almost regretted the stunt he had just pulled on his tenants. He sat on the train thinking about the events that led to this trip to Vegas. At sixty-nine years old, he'd lost everything that he had worked for his entire life.

It's this damn economy.he mused. I worked for Baxter's Industry for the last thirty-eight years of my life and they just up and closed the company. Hell they even stole my pension and retirement. So what if those fuckers end up on the street, it really isn't my fault. Blame the president. He then turned sideways in his seat and tried to sleep, only to discover that sleep was elusive.

Joseph Yearly was luckier than most, because he owned a small apartment building. Even though he'd lost his job, the income from the renters helped him stay afloat for a while after the company closed. Now, he was tired. For over two years he fought foreclosure, the loss of his job made his situation worse. Finally, the bank won and he had no choice but to surrender his properties. Fighting two mortgages, his medical bills, and legal fees, exhausted Joseph.

He made a decision last month when the repossession actions started. He wouldn't say anything to his tenants, because then they might refuse to pay him. He'd collect this month's rent from them, acting as if everything was normal, give them receipts, and then get the hell out of town.

He'd head to Vegas for a short vacation before showing up at his son's house. His boy was kindhearted like his mother. He'd be able to stay with him for a couple of weeks before he put him out. He'd use the I miss you son and want to spend time with you routine. That kid might fall for that crap, Joseph thought.

He drove up to the apartment complex to speak with Dianna Bouvier about collecting the rent for the month. He wanted all of the payments in by the second of the month. Dianna had rented from him for a couple of years and he knew all of the tenants trusted her, so he had her to collect their rental payments and get them to him.

His tenants knew he was money hungry and simply paid, no questions asked. Joseph collected gave them receipts and moved on as usual. Not even hinting that trouble was on the horizon.

A few days later, trouble showed up.

"What the fuck is this?" Dianna Bouvier yelled as she came home from work to an awful surprise. Ms. Savannah Dew, a loan officer from Southcorp Bank, and a local deputy, Deputy Bobby Johnson, were standing in front of her apartment building as she arrived home.

Savannah approached her slowly carrying official looking papers in her hands. Handing the papers over to Dianna, Savannah informed Dianna that she and the other tenants who lived in the building were being evicted.

"What the hell do you mean that we have to be out of our apartments in one month?" she furiously demanded from the banker who was about to place a foreclosed sign on the front lawn of the building.

"I'm sorry, Dianna. Your landlord, Joseph Yearly, surrendered his properties to the bank last month. We thought he'd let all of his tenants know. It's obvious that he did not. I am so sorry, but you and the other tenants have thirty days to vacate the premises." Ms. Dew explained nervously as she gripped the foreclosure sign under her arm.

Dianna was upset. No, she was beyond upset, she was pissed. A million angry thoughts flew through her mind all at once. She'd just given Yearly the rental payments for everyone a few days ago and he didn't even hint that the bank was about to take the building.

"Hold up, Ms. Dew. I've got to ask Mr. Yearly about this?" Dianna stated trying to keep her temper in check. Dianna pulled out her phone and dialed his number. She got a recording that the number no longer existed.

"Ms. Dew", Dianna began to ask realizing the direness of the situation, "What about the money we've paid as a deposit on the rentals? Will the bank refund any of our money? I'll be fine, but the other tenants who live here are on fixed income. They simply don't have the money to move." She explained to the banker and deputy.

"Does the bank have any idea where Yearly is? He's not answering his phone. Can you or someone get in touch with him? I know that it's not part of your job, but you've just made several people homeless. Is there any way you or someone can reach him?" Dianna asked desperately.

Savannah shook her head, "I'm sorry Ms. Bouvier. We can't give you that information." Looking at Dianna's face, Savannah could see the stress and worry that clouded her eyes. She wished she could help, but she was just the messenger.

Frustrated Dianna wanted to scream. This isn't right. Yearly shouldn't be able to get away with this.She had to figure out where they could go.

Feeling defeated, she simply turned and walked away from the two people in front of her home after telling them to leave.

Dianna contemplated their situation for a minute and then decided to go to Yearly's house. She caught the number seven bus to his neighborhood and walked to his house from the bus stop early in the evening. The first thing she noticed was the big red and yellow foreclosure sign in the front yard. Her stomach dropped as it dawned on her the predicament she and the other tenants were in. An elderly neighbor came out and informed her that the people who lived there had moved away two days ago.

Dianna was stumped. She along with the other tenants paid their rent with a money order, so there was no way to stop payment. Now, they had no money, no home, and were fast losing hope.

Dianna felt as if the world had crashed down on her head overwhelmed. The people in the building counted on her to make sure they were taken care of and now she had no idea what to do. She thanked the lady for the information and headed back to the bus stop to go back home. As temporary as it might be, it was still home.

Dianna decided to try and take control of this situation, to be proactive. Instead of having a pity party, she'd go to the bank and talk to someone and see, if they could at least allowed them additional time to find somewhere to go.

After all, they were renters. They'd paid her rent for the month and held the receipts in their hands. Each person paid on time each month that had to count for something. So, if anyone down there had any compassion, they'd at least give them a second month.

While riding the city bus home, Dianna was tired. She felt like the weight of the world was on her shoulders and no relief was in sight. Why does life have to be so hard? It's a constant struggle.Dianna started working at the age of ten, by doing yard work for people in the neighborhood. She grew up in a no nonsense environment. Mom told her, "Dianna, the only person you can count on is you. You've got to learn to take care of yourself. You can't trust people, because in the end, they will turn on you. Always remember that."

Her mother taught her that in real life, people had to make hard choices. By learning how to fight at an early age, Dianna faced challenges head on. She was fiercely independent. Dianna learned to save money, and only buy the things she needed. She could handle herself in difficult situations. She never went looking for trouble, but if trouble came she dealt with it.

In her short twenty-three years of life, she had amassed a savings of over thirty thousand dollars, was living on her own, had finished high school, and planned to finish earning her Criminal Justice degree in college in the spring. Because she managed her money so well, she paid the part of her tuition that the grants and scholarships she earned didn't cover in cash and had not acquired excessive student loans like so many of the other young people around her.

So unlike the other tenants, she had resources that she could pull from, she just hated the fact that Yearly would get away with stealing everybody's money.

Now, she was faced with a new challenge, finding someplace for all of them to go. She only hoped they could find a way so that they could stay together. She walked into her apartment and prepared to turn in for the day. She undressed, put on her sweats, and made a sandwich for her dinner. Then she called her Mom. She loved talking to her mother, because she had a way of putting things in perspective and always guided her in the right direction.

After talking to Mom, Dianna felt a little better so she bid Mom good night and hung up. She decided to stop moping and find a solution to their problem. She stopped musing when she heard a knock on the door and looked out to see the rest of Yearly's tenants standing in her hallway. Opening the door, she invited them in.

"Dianna," Mr. George comforted her, "I know you, girl, and I don't want you worrying yourself sick about this. Hear me! I've been on this earth for over seventy years, and I've seen things work out. Yearly was wrong, but we will be alright." Then he gave her a strong hug. Dianna hugged him back.

He was like the grandfather she never had. He always made sure he spent time talking to all the people who lived in the building and everyone loved him. He had no family and no savings. Dianna's biggest fear was that he'd end up on the streets.

Mrs. Sanchez sat on her sofa wringing her hands. She never been so afraid, not even when Ricardo left and she found this place. These people were her family and she didn't want to leave them. She was upset with Joseph Yearly, because although, she knew he valued money more than anything. She never would have imagined him treating them like this.

She knew that if Dianna could find a way to fix this they would be fine. "Dianna, Pardon me, por favor. But have you talked to Yearly or anyone? I have tried to call him, but no answer-."

Dianna spoke softly to her. "Mrs. Sanchez, We'll be alright. We'll stick together. Mr. George?"

Mr. George came over to talk quietly to Mrs. Sanchez, while Dianna move over to Latasha to try and help calm her down.

Latasha cut her off, "Yearly split. He took our money and split. Now we have nowhere to go. Damn, I just got off the streets and I don't want to have to go to no shelter." Latasha fumed angrily punching Dianna's door angrily. Before she could reach her, Mrs. Lucas intervened.

Mrs. Lucas stood and gathered the angry young woman in a tight hug and in her heavy Jamaican accent soothed her saying, "Girl child, we promise you. None of us will let you go back out there. You can live with us. We will find another place. We found this one." But Tasha was reliving the nightmare of her last few nights sleeping in alleys before finding this place.

At this point Mr. Lucas, whose weathered face was creased with worry, spoke up. "I will talk to my bosses in the morning, maybe they can give me some ideas on where to find a place. I will try to find some way we can be close."

Dianna sat for a moment and listened. She knew and loved these people. They tried as hard as they could, but even collectively, they did not have the resources to move. This knowledge solidified her decision. She'd try to talk to someone at the bank tomorrow.

Finally Dianna spoke, "I'm going to the bank in the morning. I'll see if they can give us more time to find a place. But let's not wait on them. Tasha, I know you hate it, but can you check on some of the housing programs through social services."

Mr. Lucas spoke. "I will come with you, Dianna. I can call my boss and tell him-" Dianna stopped him mid sentence.

"Mr. Lucas, do not miss work because you need that job, but if you can, ask around about housing." She smiled as he nodded.

"Mr. George, we need Mrs. Lucas to go with Tasha. If she takes the younger children with her, will you watch the two older ones?" She asked.

"Yes, honey. You don't even have to ask. Bring them over in time for me to fix them breakfast, OK." Mr. George replied.

"Mrs. Lucas, since Mr. George can watch the older children, we need you take the two smaller ones with you and go with Tasha in the morning to social services." Dianna added.

Dianna looked at the remaining tenants and continued, "Mrs. Sanchez, you have to work, but I want Tasha and Mrs. Lucas to call you with any news and need you record it to share tomorrow night."

"I'll be at the bank as soon as it opens to talk to someone. We'll meet back here tomorrow at six to share what we find out. OK." Dianna concluded.

Everyone felt better now that they had a plan in place and each had a job to do. They realized the time and each person headed home. Mr. George was the last to leave. He had something to say to Dianna.

"Young lady, we all will share this problem. Don't you dare try to take it all on yourself. You hear me. We are a family and we will stick together." Then he hugged her again as he left.

She was getting ready for bed when her phone rang. She wondered who was calling. The only person that ever called was her Mom, and she only called if Dianna didn't check in and she had already talked to her Mom earlier that night.

When she answered the phone she learned it was Savannah from the bank. "Good evening Ms. Bouvier. This is Savannah Dew from South Corp. I apologize for calling so late, but I needed to let you know that I feel horrible about the situation Mr. Yearly has left you all in and I will do all I can to help you all.

I talked with my boss this afternoon and convinced him to meet with you and the rest of the tenants in the morning. I can't promise anything, but maybe it can help. Can you all be at the bank at nine o'clock in the morning?" Savannah asked.

"Ms. Dew," said Dianna smiling and feeling some relief, "Thank you for calling and arranging a meeting for us. I will be at the bank bright and early in the morning to represent all of Mr. Yearly's tenants. Is there anything you think I would need to bring?"

"Bring as much information for each resident as you can. I want you to be prepared. Mr. Davidson is tough. Just be honest and state your case, hopefully we can convince him to help." Savannah explained.

"Very well, I'll gather the information. Thank you Ms. Dew, I will see you in the morning." Then she hung up and chose an outfit to wear to the bank. Dianna had been through a lot in her few years on this earth, but she felt like her mother taught her well. She didn't know anything about Mr. Davidson, but she had to fight for her family. It didn't matter to her, she faced much tougher men in her short life, she'd just add him to the list. Mrs. Sanchez, Latasha, The Lucas family, and Mr. George, were depending on her to fight for them. Tomorrow she would go into battle.

The next morning, at eight fifty, Dianna was standing in the lobby of Southcorp Bank waiting for Ms. Dew to arrive. Ms. Dew was in a meeting with Larry Davidson, discussing the plight of Joseph's tenants. When the receptionist informed her that Dianna had arrived, she asked her to join them in their meeting with Mr. Davidson's permission of course.

"Good morning Ladies, I am glad you were able to meet with me this morning. I am Larry Davidson, President of the Brendon Branch of Southcorp Bank.

Ms. Bouvier, although I sympathize with the predicament you and Mr. Yearly's other tenants have found yourselves in, legally, my hands are tied and there is nothing we can do.

Dianna and Savannah sat in Larry's office, listening to him drone on and on about protocol and procedure. Finally, Diana had enough.

"All of Mr. Yearly's tenants have four weeks to evacuate said properties." Larry concluded his spiel.

"With all due respect, Mr. Davidson, do you have elderly parents or family members that can be vulnerable to a predator?" Dianna asked.

"Ms. Bouvier, that has nothing to do with-"Larry started to explain when she cut him off.

"Mr. Davidson, we are not asking you to start a rental company. We are asking for you to show some compassion. We paid rent for thirty days and deserve at least that many days to find someplace to live. Each of us just need a little more time. We don't want to stay in your building."

"Ms. Bouvier, if you would simply-" Davidson tried to interject.

"We are willing to leave, but some of us just don't have the money right now. We paid rent and utilities for this month and our funds are depleted. I don't know if you've ever had to live from check to check, but it's not easy." Dianna paused to give that statement time to sink in.

"Mr. Davidson, I beg of you please give us at least an additional month and we will go." Dianna pleaded. Concluding her diatribe with these words, "If it were your relative, what would you do?"

This question caused Davidson to pause and think for a moment. What would I do if someone did this to my Mom or Dad, or even my grandparents? I'd be furious. I'd find the bastard and press charges or at the least sue the hell out of him.

Larry's callous treatment of Dianna's concern infuriated Savannah. Her mother was a renter and she'd hate for someone to take advantage of her the way Yearly had just done his tenants.

Fuming to herself Savannah thought, Yearly's actions are heinous. Five families rent homes from him, yet he had not bothered to inform them of the foreclosures. He ripped these people off, and tore their lives apart. Davidson doesn't even care. Ug! What a jerk!. This is ludicrous! He, of all people, should be willing to help. I can't believe this!

Savannah spoke up. She was usually not vocal, but these actions were criminal. "Mr. Davidson, I know the bank owns the property, but could the bank grant the tenants some sort of extension. It is the least we can do. Can you ask someone at the head office about it?"

Davidson's face turned into stone and he stared at Savannah with glassy cold green eyes. He didn't like being put on the spot, certainly not by an employee. The atmosphere in the room went from lukewarm to chilly in an instant. Davidson then ended their meeting.

"Ms. Bouvier and Ms. Dew this meeting ends here. I sympathize with your plight, but the property belongs to the bank. Mr. Yearly was notified over a year ago of the intentions of this bank if his payments continued to be delinquent. It is unfortunate that he failed to inform you or his other tenants of the imminent foreclosure." Larry stated forcefully.

"Ms. Dew, please return to your desk", then looking at Dianna, "Ms. Bouvier, thank you for coming. Now please leave this building as quickly as possible." He concluded.

Exiting the office, Dianna turned to look Davidson in the eyes. "Mr. Davidson, I understand that this is not your fault, and honestly, I believe in putting the blame where it lies. You and I know, Yearly is crooked and should pay for this. As bank president, I know you have to follow protocol and procedures of this bank and I understand. However, as a human being, you also know that the people in that building are innocent victims and you should want to help them. Also, as a businessman, you should also report Yearly to the FHC. I will definitely be calling as well as all of his other tenants."

Iread2relax
Iread2relax
1,296 Followers