Diavolo Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Marjorie had stopped at the bottom of the stairs, gaping at Gabriel. He stepped closer to her and took her hand. "It's a pleasure, ma'am," he murmured as he kissed her knuckles.

Marjorie just gaped at him. After a while she seemed to have found her voice when she asked, "And why would I be an important person to this—" her eyes flicked over him coldly, "gentleman?" she finished.

Gabriel grinned at her. Or, at least that's what Abigail supposed he was trying to do. Unfortunately it came out like a vicious snarl. "Because I've come to ask for your daughter's hand."

What?

All eyes fell upon Gabriel.

He was taking this revenge thing too far. Abigail felt faint. She tried to yank her hand from Gabriel's, but he held it in a vise grip.

Meanwhile, her sister looked like she wanted to kill both Gabriel and Abigail. Daniel was grinning in absolute surprise and joy, and her mother...her mother looked as though she'd swallowed a frog.

"Well," Daniel began exuberantly, "This is certainly a surprise. Frankly, I was worried when I heard of your acquaintance with our dear sweet Abby."

Gabriel's demeanor changed drastically. He squared his shoulders and wrapped his arm around her waist possessively. "And why would my acquaintance with dear sweet Abby worry you?" he finished through gritted teeth.

Daniel chuckled, nonplussed by Gabriel threatening demeanor. "I worried that perhaps you didn't have good intentions toward her. I will be honest. Abigail is a very special girl. You won't find anyone sweeter," he grinned, oblivious to Mikayla's killing glare. "I just happen to have the other Brown sibling." He finally looked at Mikayla, who switched her glare for a big fake smile. "She is the most precious, sweet thing to me."

Her sister walked into Daniel's arms. He gave her a one armed hug and grinned at Abigail and Gabriel. "Let's go into the dining room. I'll have the staff open our best wine for this occasion. We must celebrate. When are you planning on announcing your engagement, if you don't mind my asking?"

Abigail followed alongside Gabriel in a daze.

"Well, Baby and I still haven't discussed all the details of our engagement, but I guess we'll have to do it soon. Right, sweetness?"

She just looked at him with wide eyes. How was she supposed to reply to that?

Daniel laughed. "It was a bit of a whirlwind thing. I didn't even know until this morning that Abby had come back home, and now this. It was quite the shock."

"Yeah," Mikayla finally piped up. "Who would've thought Abigail would ever get married."

***

She looked pale and shaky, but things had gotten so far out of hand, he hadn't the slightest idea how to stop the lie from growing bigger.

Engaged?

Christ—what had he gotten himself into?

Mikayla's barb had made Abigail wince. His ex-stalker was very vindictive and Gabriel suddenly realized he didn't like it one bit.

Abigail was his to torment only.

Turning disdainful eyes to the younger sister, he sneered. "I don't know why you'd think Abigail wouldn't make a good wife for anyone. She's not like the typical women that hang around me and the band looking for an easy lay with a rock star."

Mikayla's face went beet red, and her mother choked.

"How did you meet Abigail?" Daniel questioned, one brow rising at the both of them.

Next to him, Abigail stiffened and began to open and close her mouth in that adorable way that reminded him of a fish.

"We met at a party she and her sister attended. Mikayla was trying to get her to have some fun, and Abigail ran into me. Best night of our lives, wasn't it, babe?"

Daniel face turned red this time, and he cleared his throat before nodding and gesturing they follow him and Mikayla.

"I'll go see if Paulina is ready," Marjorie blurted before making her escape up the grand staircase.

That woman had acted as if she'd seen a ghost...or maybe the devil himself when Daniel introduced her to him.

Had that woman also known his father?

He hadn't had much opportunity to talk with his younger half brother. Gabriel's lawyer had taken all of the documentation Gabriel had and contacted Daniel.

Two days later, he'd received a call from Daniel's assistant requesting he come directly to North Star Records. The infamous Daniel Montenegro II wanted to schedule a personal meeting with him.

Expecting hostility, Gabriel was surprised when Daniel had welcomed him warmly, his eyes gleaming with genuine curiosity.

They'd talked for hours.

Daniel had the opportunity to go over the letters and diaries, and even had his own lawyer review the legal documentation their father had drawn up years ago.

There was no denying they were brothers.

Daniel expressed his regret about Gabriel's mother and felt appalled his mother had been the cause of so much grief.

He'd insisted both Gabriel and his grandmother move into the Montenegro estate.

Gabriel, of course, had declined. He had his own place and was content to remain there for the time being.

He'd felt a little guilty knowing he'd let his brother's girlfriend suck him off a few times aside from the other stuff she done, but he'd never gone after the girl. She'd stuck to him like Velcro one night in Vegas after a show. If anything, it was Angelo's fault for giving her all their numbers and keeping her abreast of where they were all the time.

Pulling out a chair for Abigail, he frowned when Daniel pulled the chair next to hers for her sister.

"Gabriel," Daniel began, "Would you do me the honor of occupying my father's chair?"

Both girls gaped at Daniel.

Gabriel looked at the imposing chair at the end of the table. With a grin, he nodded and turned. One of the butlers immediately pulled the chair out for him and Gabriel sat slowly.

Cold seeped up his legs as he thought of his father.

Looking down the center of the table, he stared at Daniel as he took up the chair at the other end of the long formal dining table.

"Normally, there are ten seats, but since it's just us, I requested the table be shortened to six places for tonight. My mother and Marjorie will be joining us shortly."

Daniel turned to the head butler and ordered a bottle of wine.

Appetizers were passed around as the butler came back with the prized bottle.

"I think we should give the honor to our guest of honor," Daniel said gesturing to Gabriel.

The butler approached him with the bottle and a glass.

The bottle was presented to Gabriel for his inspection.

A nineteen-forty-five, Romanée-Conti.

Gabriel's hands began to sweat. It wasn't everyday he was privy to opening a sixty-year-old bottle of rare red wine. The thing had to have cost a fortune.

He looked at Abigail. She was staring at him as if he were about to murder a puppy.

Well, here goes to celebrating his fake engagement to Pop Tart.

Gabriel nodded to the butler, who proceeded to pop the vintage bottle open.

Abigail began to fan herself.

He just stared at her as the butler poured the first taste.

It was much like tasting a woman for the first time. Like tasting Abigail.

He took the glass and swirled the liquid, appreciating the color and body. The rich, deep, red glowed beautifully in the soft candle light. He gazed at Abigail over the rim of the glass.

Beautiful color rose up her throat to suffuse her cheeks...so beautiful. He couldn't believe he'd once thought her plain. He was out of his mind.

Keeping his gaze locked on hers, he sniffed the wine's fragrant bouquet. His mouth watered in anticipation, the scent already making him heady.

Slowly, bringing the glass up closer, he opened his lips and let a bit of the liquid spill in.

Abigail's pupils dilated and he could see the pulse in her throat hammering wildly.

She felt it too...as much as she tried to portray a prim demeanor. She played down her looks, but it only incited him more.

Abigail finally tore her gaze from his. She struggled to catch her breath, her composure. Her face was still flushed, gloriously rose all over. He did that to her. But why? Did he frighten her? Did he stir her blood they she did his?

Yeah. This was insane. He barely knew the chick. He needed to put the brakes on whatever it was she was stirring in him, before he ended up a statistic like his dead parents.

Footsteps had him sitting up straighter.

He already knew who approached.

Gabriel stood when Daniel stood. Two butlers rushed forward to pull out the remaining chairs.

Turning to his right, Gabriel stared at the woman responsible for the nightmare that had befallen his mother and real father...Paulina Montenegro.

The woman was tall, slim, and elegant. Her blonde hair was pulled back from her face and she wore a simple black knee-length cocktail dress that accentuated her lovely figure. He knew she had to be in her mid to late fifties, but she was still beautiful. Not a single line marred that face. Apparently, no emotions had ever etched themselves into that cold unfeeling countenance.

Her dark eyes stared at him intently, a predator sizing up a rival. She didn't fool him though. He could see the horror in those eyes even though her face remained a blank mask.

"Mother," Daniel began, "Meet Gabriel. Gabriel, this is my mother, Paulina Montenegro."

Gabriel approached her. Nearly black eyes flicked down the length of him, taking in his attire.

Oh-yes. He'd dressed specifically for her tonight. No Armani suit for this bitch.

"Ms. Montenegro," he said taking her hand.

Watching her face as he leaned over and pressed a kiss he loathed to give to that fragile white hand, he saw her eyes widen slightly, heard her breath hitch just the tiniest bit.

Slowly, he released her and straightened, allowing the disgusting knowledge that his aunt desired him to settle into his mind. Another thing he'd despise about her. Another weapon he'd use against her in his bid to destroy her.

He would not rest until he avenged his parents.