Diesel Chronicles Ch. 18

Story Info
Life goes on.
1.1k words
4.68
20.4k
5
0

Part 18 of the 22 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 08/30/2002
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Gwen
Gwen
61 Followers

Saturday morning we get up and pack to go home. I'm sitting on the steps of the porch when Vin comes out.

"Ready to go?"

"Yeah. I'm going to miss this."

"Did you enjoy your trip?" he asks, sitting down beside me.

"I enjoy spending time with you, no matter where we are."

We sit there for a while, watching the people as they pass by.

Looking at his watch, he says, "Well, we need to call the front desk to let them know we're ready to check out. We need to be at the airport to meet Tony around noon."

About 15 minutes later, a bellboy comes down to the cottage to pick us up. We check out of the hotel and catch one of the hotel vans making their hourly trip to the airport. Tony is ready and waiting.

"The plane is all set. Wow, Gwen. Been working on your tan this week?"

Vin gives him a look and I start laughing. "Yep. Much better than lying in a tanning bed."

We board the plane and take off for home.

"When are you going back to LA?"

"After we drop you off. I've got a meeting Monday morning and I need to get some things done tomorrow for it."

"Cool," I say, pulling my book out and reading for the rest of the trip home.

When we land, Vin carries my bag to the truck. He picks up my left hand and kisses my ring.

"Never forget that I love you."

I do the same to the ring I gave him. "That goes for me too."

"I'll talk to you in a couple of days," he says, leaning down to kiss me. "Be careful driving home."

"I will. Tell Tony that if anything happens to you, I'm coming after him."

Vin starts laughing. "I will."

I watch as the plane takes off and heads towards LA, then drive home to find Melkor waiting on me. As soon as I open the door, he's all around my legs. Closing the door, I pick him up and sit on the couch with him for a little while. "Well, boy. It's just you and me for awhile," I say while scratching under his chin.

A little while later, I get up to unpack and do a load of laundry, then call Jennifer to let her know that I was back. We talked for a little while, then I decided to go to bed early. Melkor enjoyed having his side of the bed back, but I didn't sleep well because Vin wasn't with me. Funny how you get used to things like that in such a short time.

I got up Sunday morning and spent the day at my sister’s house, playing with my niece. We made a picnic lunch and then hopped on the four-wheelers and rode out to their lake and played there all afternoon. They have an old tire swing tied to a huge oak tree limb, and we would swing out over the water and let go, seeing who could make the biggest splash. Then we'd get in the inner-tubes and float around the lake, watching the fish swim below us. It reminded me of the lake at Vin's cabin in Colorado, just not quite as cold. Before leaving, I talked to my sister and my niece, Mandy, was going to spend the next weekend with me. When I got home, I took a shower and collapsed on the bed.

The next thing I know, my alarm is going off Monday morning for work. Well, back to reality now.

Things weren't too bad when I got to the office. A couple of minor problems came up with the projects last week, but my assistant took care of them. I was looking for something in my purse when I came across the name of the publisher Vin had given me to contact. Luckily she was going to be in town at the end of this week, so we could meet then.

The week flew by. I stayed busy with the new projects I was working on, and Friday finally arrived. I met with the publisher and after a lengthy conversation, I finally made my decision that this is something that I really want to do. But I'm not quitting my job. I have to have a steady income, but this just moves my writing to the front of the line for outside activities. We're going to start of slow, and when I feel comfortable with it, then pursue it full time.

The following week, the publishing contract arrived and I called a lawyer friend of mine to see if she would look it over. It all looks good and she tells me to go for it. I call Vin and give him the news.

"So, you're going to be a writer?"

"Well, I wouldn't go that far."

"Why not? That's what you're going to be doing."

"In my spare time. Vin, I can't quit my job just because this happened. I have to support myself and the money I'm going to make right now won't pay for everything. I have to do this my way. One small step at a time."

"But, it's a step in the right direction."

"We'll see."

"What if I hired you to work for me?"

"Oh, that'd look great. Right now I'm what, your lover? If I went to work for you and you paid me, can you imagine what people would say about that?"

"I don't care. You're good."

I started laughing. "Good at what?" "Everything."

"Good answer."

We talk for a little while more, then hang up. The following day I send the contract back to the publisher. When things are meant to be, they just fall into place.

I spend the days working and the evenings writing. Vin calls every few days to check on me, make sure that I'm doing ok and to see if I need anything. The weekend comes and Mandy, my niece, comes to stay with me. We have a blast together. Her favorite band, *NSYNC, is in town for a concert Friday night, so I take her. She is so much fun to have around. Saturday we get up and spend the day at my parent’s house riding horses. Sunday comes and we sleep late, then get up and I take her home. Vin calls that night and I give him a run-down of what we've been doing.

"Do you have any energy left?" he asks.

"Not much. Probably enough to drag myself into a hot bath."

"Ok, I didn't need to know that. Mental picture and all."

"Sorry."

"Do you have any plans for weekend after next?"

"Nothing but writing. Why?"

"I may fly down and spend the weekend."

"That's fine with me."

"I'll let you know for sure when it gets closer."

"Ok."

We finish the conversation and hang up. After taking a hot bath, I crawl into bed and fall asleep.

Gwen
Gwen
61 Followers