Distractions Ch. 07

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
HotSprings22
HotSprings22
1,169 Followers

Fuckin great, he got the tart's number too. Well, the woman didn't deserve that, but still. Seriously? Maybe I should swear off men and only date women.

That wouldn't work. I can't even tolerate any female friends, how the hell could I have a female lover? I was doomed, and it was time I stopped pretending there was hope. Maybe its about time I stated investing in cats.

At least now I didn't have to worry about finding out what his 'I'll wait forever for you speech was about'. It was probably a line to get me to sleep with him while his secretary was in my bathroom.

I bet he used that same line to get the cashier's number, I thought numbly as I looked at the floor. I couldn't bear to look at him anymore. Of course now I was wondering just how many women he used that line on, and how many times it worked. It almost worked on me.

Out the corner of my eye, I saw Gavin turn. He must have been done flirting with her. I looked up in time to see the girl waving and smiling at me like she knew something I didn't. She was probably smiling because she knew he'd call her tonight, and forget all about the black girl he walked into Victoria's Secret with.

I didn't wait for him to catch up with me as I stormed out of the store. I clutched the bag with my shirt in it with one hand as I shoved my helmet on top of my head with the other. I didn't pull it all the way down; it was only on so I wouldn't have to physically tell him I was ready to go home.

Apparently he didn't get the hint.

"Is there anywhere else you wanna go?" He asked, his hands shoved deeply in his pockets.

I huffed; completely annoyed that he couldn't read the obvious irritation in my body language.

"Home." I grumbled.

Gavin walked silently beside me as we headed back towards the bike. I didn't bother asking him if there was anything he wanted to get.

Uh, I was so angry with myself. Why the hell did I put myself in that position? As soon as Gavin dropped me off at home, I was going to ask for my key back then call AAA. There was no way I was going to rely on him for anything.

Who knew a bruised ego could hurt sooo bad? After Wilson, you'd think I'd be used to it, but this was worse, much worse.

All this effort, and I still wasn't even positive if he'd slept with his secretary or not. But I guess that doesn't matter anyway. If it wasn't her, he would have slept with someone else. He seemed to be real good at whoring himself around lately.

I was still marching along, brooding, when the sound of Gavin repeatedly calling my name snapped me out of my stupor.

"What?" I snarled.

"Uhh," he said not meeting my gaze. "Do you wanna come back to my place?"

"No." Is he fucking serious?!

"What are you gonna do at home?"

Whatever the fuck I want, but I kept that thought to myself. "Dunno." At this point, anything would be better than this.

"We can play pool." He looked at me like he knew he had me. He knew how much I loved the game, about as much as I loved riding on the back of his Ninja. But the idea of spending any more time with him was churning my stomach, and I couldn't.

"C'mon, I haven't played against anyone in ages," he added quickly as if he could tell I was about to protest.

"What, you didn't play with Secretary Barbie last night?" I was so mad I just couldn't help myself.

"No I took her home." I bet he did.

"Ohh," I said dramatically. "I forgot the rules. You never bring a girl back to your place because it's harder to get away from them in the middle of the night. And it also avoids the possibility of her pretending to be in the neighborhood and unexpectedly stopping by," I said repeating what he'd told me time and time again. I almost forgot, he never broke his rules.

"You think you're so smart don't you?" His face hardening.

The way he said it took some of the wind out of my sails, but I wasn't about to let that stop me now.

"The value of a college education," I said as I turned from him and kept walking.

"What is wrong with you?" He bellowed into the parking lot.

"Me?" I spun around furious now.

"Yes you." He marched right up to me and got in my face. "You know everything don't you?"

I looked at him incredulously. The anger in his eyes seemed genuine, but I didn't care. I didn't feel like doing this anymore. I wanted to get away from him, and this time I wouldn't come back.

"What's wrong with you?" He asked again slightly angrier this time.

My first instinct is always to run and I should listen more often. If I had, I wouldn't be in this position.

"Nothing," I replied tightly. The faster this ended, the faster I could get away from him.

"Tell me." he took one step closer, and I took one step back.

"Nothing to tell." I crossed my arms of my chest and raised my chin in defiance.

"Oh, that's right. You've had an attitude since we left the store, but there's nothing wrong. Go ahead and keep your feelings all bottled up until you explode again and throw a tantrum and stamp your foot. You couldn't be more callow if you tried."

My mouth hung open in surprise, but I quickly recovered.

"There is nothing wrong!" I shouted. I couldn't believe he'd say something like that to me. He was right, though. Pride wouldn't allow me to say what was really on my mind.

"You're my best friend, Red, what makes you think I don't know when something is bothering you?"

I flashed him a big phony smile. "There's nothing wrong." I'd be damned if I told him that his reaction to seeing me nearly naked sent me off the deep end.

"You're a terrible liar," he said as he pulled his helmet over his head and zipped his jacket.

I stuck my tongue out at him. I couldn't help it.

Gavin shook his head at me and mounted his bike. I stood there with my arms folded, acting every bit as stubborn as I knew I was. Eventually, when I knew I had no other way home, I stuffed my purchases in the duffel bag strapped to the back of his bike and got on. I tried to sit as far away from him as possible, but that was impractical. I'd probably get myself killed trying to prove a point.

He had his own point to prove too. As we hit the highway, he opened the throttle again, and instinctively I slid closer and wrapped my arms around him tighter. The faster he went, the more important I knew it was for me to try to mold myself to his body to decrease drag. I tucked my head tighter into his back and squeezed his legs with mine. I'd punch him if it were physically possible at this point.

We raced along the highway, testing the laws of physics when I noticed he'd passed my exit. I yanked on the front of his jacket trying to get his attention. Maybe he forgot I was behind him, or maybe he was going too fast to realize he'd missed the exit.

To my amazement, he took one hand off the handgrip grabbed my hand and placed it back around his waist. He rubbed and patted my hand as if trying to tell me that's where it belonged.

Still feeling antagonized, I began to wonder if he'd planned this. It was a lot harder to be angry with someone when they were flying through traffic at such exhilarating speeds. I felt a tiny bit of anger roll off my back with the wind. The longer I pressed against him, the harder it was becoming to stay angry. It was hard to focus on my anger, as I held onto the hard lines of his body that sat rigidly in front of me, totally in control of this amazing machine. So, I tucked my head and tried to enjoy the rest of the ride.

Eventually when I felt the bike begin to slow, I realized we were in his neighborhood. The anger that had started to leave me on the bike was creeping back now. He pulled up outside his apartment and killed the engine. I jumped off the back before he could even get the kickstand down.

"You were supposed to take me home. I don't want to be here!" Gavin looked unperturbed as he got off the bike and unhooked his duffel bag from the back. "And I want my key," I said indignantly.

He was regarding me like I was crazy, and that was making me angrier. I watched astounded as he opened the front door and held it open for me.

Fine, I will call the taxi anyway. I reached into my pocket only to remember that I'd tossed the phone into the duffel bag, and the bag was over his shoulder. Shit. I stalked into the building behind him.

I'd go upstairs, get my phone and I'd be out of here. The urge to run was overwhelming.

"Just one game of pool, Red. That's all I'm asking for. Then I'll gladly take you home and give you back your key if that's what you really want."

What did he mean 'if that's what you really want?' Of course that's what I want!

It was just like him to not think twice about using me to get what he wants.

Gavin studied my scowl as he shoved his key into the lock. "Relax crazy, its just one game of pool."

I'm pretty sure a growl escaped my throat.

I followed him into his apartment, not really seeing an alternative. He put his helmet on the kitchen counter, walked to the fridge, grabbed beer then headed into the living room. Very carefully, he removed his jacket and laid it on the couch. He grabbed the remote, switched on the TV, and sat down. He popped the tab on both beers. He took along swig out of one and placed the other one at the other end of the table, closest to me.

"I thought we were gonna play pool?"

"In a minute," he answered without taking his eyes off the television. "Games on."

I didn't have time for this; I wanted to get away from him.

"Gimmie my phone," I demanded.

I watched as he pulled it from the bag and stuffed it into this pants pocket. "You want it come and get it." My scowl deepened.

I would have tilted my head back and screamed, but he would have classified that as me throwing a tantrum so I fumed, but not silently.

Gavin didn't think it was worth it to pay for a house phone, when the only phone he used was his cell phone. My only chance for a ride out of this apartment was sitting nestled against his thigh.

I stood with my arms folded, my jacket still zipped, tapping my foot in the foyer.

"Oh for Christ's sake, let me relax for two seconds."

Stiffly I ignored the beer he'd set on the counter and perched myself on the armrest of his couch.

I watched him with narrowed eyes as he drained his beer and got up to get another one. Pretending like he knew I didn't drink any of the beer, he tested its weight. It was still full.

"What, are you a light weight now?" I knew he was goading me, but I was still trying to make a point. I marched over to the table, snatched the beer off the table and chugged it. I wanted to smack him, but I settled for giving him the finger and throwing the empty can at him, which he caught.

His smile didn't reach his eyes as he brought me another.

The thought never crossed my mind that as my best friend, he'd put up with my bullshit for years, and he knew exactly how to handle my moods.

He sat down for a couple minutes and savored his next beer. Despite myself, I sipped on the new beer he brought me. Why not? The day had already gone to shit, might as well get a buzz while I'm at it.

Just one game of pool, and this will all be over.

Gavin waited until halftime before he got up and made his way to the pool table. I watched as he racked the balls.

"Ready?" he asked.

"Now your highness is ready?" I asked with an attitude.

Gavin turned the television off and switched his stereo on. "Take your jacket off and stay awhile."

I huffed. "I plan on this game being over soon. I wanna go." Gavin opened his mouth like he was going to say something, but then quickly closed it before any sound could escape.

He walked back to the kitchen, pulled a six-pack out of the fridge, and set it on the table. He seemed awfully keen on drinking a lot.

"How bout we make a wager?" he said as he opened his third beer.

"Sure," I said still dripping with attitude. "I win, I get my key back and you take me home now. Not when the Sox win the pennant again, now." He nodded with a smile.

"You loose, you stay and tell me what's wrong with you." I crossed my arms over my chest considering the rules. "You could call yourself a taxi, but your phone is in my pocket."

If I had a gun, I would have shot him. At the rate he was drinking, it would be easy for me to win, so I agreed.

I left my jacket on as Gavin re-racked the balls. He broke first, because he knew I hated doing it. His solid break sent two solid balls into the pocket. He didn't speak as he concentrated on his next move. I watched in fascination as he moved agilely around the table sliding the pool stick through his fingers as he assessed his next move. Three shots later, he finally missed.

I pulled my stick down from the wall already looking to pocket the 13 ball in the corner. I called it and shot. I let out a little sigh of relief as I made it. I was banking on Gavin's drinking to help me win the game. On any other day, he'd beat me, but I was hoping that with the alcohol handicap, I'd have a chance.

I called the next shot and made it. He said nothing as he stood in the corner watching me, sipping his beer.

On my next shot, I missed. Gavin walked right to the table, confident in his stride and sunk the four ball, setting himself up perfectly to sink the six, which he did.

Shit. I looked at the table – he only had three balls left, and the eight ball, I had five and the eight ball. How the hell did that happen?

Gavin looked at the table, he really didn't have a shot, so when he tried for the one, he knew it may not work, which it didn't. It was my turn. I had a shot at the twelve; I could make it if I really concentrated. I shrugged out of my jacket and took a sip of beer. I took a deep breath and just barely knocked the ball in, almost scratching in the process.

I sighed with relief, if I concentrated, it was possible I could win this game, and then I could get the hell out of here. I didn't have a shot this time, she when I launched the cue ball; I just wanted to put it in a place that would make things harder for Gavin.

Gavin tried again, his brow furrowed in concentration as he went for the five and sunk it. For his next shot, he slammed the cue into the one ball, rocketing it into the side pocket. The cue ball bounced back and nudged the two into the corner pocket. I was going to lose this game; he only had the eight ball left.

He took another long swig of beer and sailed the cue ball right passed the eight ball. I stepped to the other side of the table, determined to win this game. He could have blown that shot on purpose, but I could win this. The nine and eleven balls were too far away for me to do anything with so I concentrated on the fourteen and fifteen balls that were sitting next to the eight ball.

I leaned over the table and set up my shot. As soon as I released the pool stick, I knew I'd lost. The cue ball sailed right into the eight ball sending it into the side pocket. Just like that, I'd lost.

I stood staring at the table not wanting to believe the game was really over. The sound of Gavin's voice pulled me from my thoughts.

"So, what's wrong with you?"

I glared at him for a minute before answering. "Honestly, nothing."

"You need to work on lying." He took another long drag of his beer, then walked to the kitchen and put it in the recycling.

"I'm not lying. I'm just irritated with myself. Nothing is wrong."

"Christ!" he shouted as he rushed back into the living room, his frustration with me finally having won out. "Its amazing you still can't trust me enough to tell me what you're thinking."

"Trust you?" I shouted back at him. "In light of recent events, you're lucky I'm even talking to you."

"And why do you think that is?" he asked smugly.

That nearly knocked all the air out of my lungs. I really hadn't thought about it like that. My mind was reeling. What the hell was I doing here, and why was I talking to him?

"You're one to talk," I spat. He raised his eyebrows. "You don't tell me anything anymore. Its like we're strangers." I watched as his eyes darkened.

Not my most eloquent argument, but it would work. For now. It was a slightly more mature argument then shouting, "I know you are, but what am I?"

"You ever think I don't tell you anything any more because you jump to conclusions and run off without letting me explain?" I had a brief flash of that night on Spike's front lawn. "So what's the point of trying to Red? You're only gonna get mad at me and run away anyway."

Gavin crossed him arms over his chest.

I stuck my tongue out at him – real mature I know, but I was at a loss for words. I wasn't expecting the bluntness of his statement or the truth it held.

"Fine. Be that way you brat. Since I won and you didn't fully answer my questions, I say we play again."

I was still trying to come up with an answer for myself. I had no idea why I was still here. While I was standing there trying to come up with a reasonable explanation, he kept talking.

"Lets make this game more interesting," he said as he swallowed more beer. I stopped to look at him.

"Pool, truth or dare style. You miss a shot, you get asked a question. That way we both get answers. Deal?"

"Deal," I heard myself answer. My curiosity won out over my anger. Now I know why they say it killed the cat. Maybe I'd be lucky enough to get some answers first.

I finished off my beer and grabbed another.

_(*(*(-)*)*)_

I stepped in front of Gavin this time, and broke. Who knows, I could get lucky. Of course I had no such luck. Gavin said nothing as he stepped out of the way and let my by.

"Truth or dare?" He asked calmly.

I wasn't in the mood – I wanted to get this over with. "Truth."

"Did you go out with Jeremy last night?" Wow, just jumping right in, are we?

"No."

"Why not?"

"That's another question."

Gavin peeled his eyes from me and returned his attention back to the game. He shot and missed. He didn't seem that interested in the game.

"Truth or dare," I asked.

"Truth."

"What did you do last night?"

"Nothing."

"I'm not gonna play if you lie," I said slamming my beer down on the table.

"Then be more specific," he answered like I wasn't on the verge of pulling my hair out in frustration.

"You and the secretary have a fuck fest last night?"

"Nope."

I rolled my eyes at him and took my shot. To my surprise, I made it, but I missed the next one. At least I knew I was solids this time.

"Truth of dare?"

"If Wilson asked you, would you get back together with him?"

The force of that question was like a punch in the stomach and I had no choice but to sit down. I perched back on the edge of the couch, wondering if putting my head between my legs would help me. I couldn't breathe. Where'd that come from?

"Why does he want me back?" I asked barely above a whisper. I panicked a little, and I could see Gavin's knuckles turn white as he gripped his pool stick harder.

"That's another question," he responded through clenched teeth. My head felt light, but I had to answer him.

"Well," I started, a thousand thoughts flying through my head. "At this point, no. No." I said answering him truthfully. "If you'd asked me before Spike's party, I probably would have said yes." I'm not sure why, but I would have said yes.

Gavin seemed to relax a fraction. He turned back to the game and easily sunk his next two shots. He missed the third and it seemed like it was on purpose.

"Truth," he responded without me having to ask.

"You have sex with Cassie?"

If I thought he wore a pained expression before, it was nothing compared to the way his face twisted this time.

He sighed heavily and said no.

I didn't say anything else as I stood and took my next shot. I was distracted by how revealing this game was becoming and I missed my next shot.

HotSprings22
HotSprings22
1,169 Followers