Do Miracles Happen? Ch. 01

Story Info
A Doctor helps a family.
4k words
4.75
33.2k
9

Part 1 of the 5 part series

Updated 10/28/2022
Created 03/14/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The day was windy and cold, ten degrees cold, and I pulled my coat tighter, shivering. There was one meeting yet, before my vacation would start. For years I'd wanted to visit some friends in Modesto, halfway across the country, and see them during Christmas. Gene had been a close friend in college and after graduation we'd kept in contact, mostly through letters, with the occasional phone call. Always the fun lover, he'd ask me when I could visit him and his family; this year I took him up on his offer and plans had been made, I'd arrive after the 25th.

My work as a Physician at the Clinic could keep anyone from having a vacation; this time however, I set my foot down and told my boss, I hadn't a break for 14 months and needed one now. She could adjust the schedule and give me the time off, or I'd quit. She knew I wouldn't, but it must have made an impression, for she did make the changes and for 10 whole days my name wasn't listed on the schedule. That's when I called Gene and let him know I'd be visiting, he was elated and we made our plans.

My car was picked up from the garage, that morning, serviced in preparation for the trip over the mountains and on to California. Flying didn't tickle my fancy, I wanted to see the countryside, to stop and talk to folks, see places I'd never been before. Then spend 3 or 4 days with Gene and his family, play with his kids and let them show me around, before taking a slow trip back to Denver.

The cold weather couldn't dampen my spirits; I was on top of the world and would begin my travels in the morning. Right now, there was this meeting, then to my apartment to pack, load the car and to disappear through the mountain passes, come daylight.

The meeting was boring, as most are, but I'm whistling to myself when it's over and slipped into rush-hour traffic making a bee line for home. The cars were backed up on the interstate from an accident, so I took an exit ramp like the other drivers and we're in congested 'stop and go' traffic for the next hour. "Bummer." I say to myself. "This isn't what I wanted."

That's when the car started to choke and sputter and die. I barely managed to coast, cursing into a gas station, glad only that I'm not blocking traffic and will have someplace warm while waiting for the tow truck. The engine wouldn't even turn over and I was glad the problem happened now, instead of on the road.

Before I could place a call on my cell, I notice a young woman coming out of the 'quick service' gas station. It looked like she'd slipped on something and fallen against one of the gas pumps; she didn't get up and remained sitting with her back to the pump, so I got out to see if she was okay.

When I got there, it appeared like she was more overcome with sobs, than having fallen; she was a young woman, pretty, but who looked really haggard with dark circles under her eyes. She dropped something as I helped her up and when I retrieved it to give to her, it was a nickel.

At that moment, everything came into focus: the crying woman, the ancient Suburban crammed full of stuff with 3 kids in the back (1 in a car seat), and the gas pump reading $4.95. "Ma'am, are you alright? Do you need help?"

Her shoulders shook with her sobs and all she could say was, "I don't want my kids to see me crying." So we stood on the other side of the pump from her car. Her sobs had stopped but the tears flowed down her cheeks. "We're going to California and right now things are hard for us."

"And you were praying?" I asked.

She stepped back from me and gave me a dirty look.

"I'm not a crazy person. You were praying and He heard you, He sent me."

She didn't know what to say and remained quiet, watching me from skeptical eyes.

"Do you need more gas?"

She nodded and I swiped my card through the reader. "Fill it up. While you're doing that, let me get you some food. I'll be back in a few minutes."

She lifted the pump handle, dispensing the gas into her car as I walked to McDonalds. The place wasn't full and I stepped up to the counter; placing an order for a dozen burgers, half a dozen fries, 6 drinks, apple pies for desert and a bunch of food certificates, and lastly a large coffee. Returning to her car, she was standing, waiting. I handed her the sack and she gave the kids, what looked like the first real meal they'd had in days. They wolfed down the first burger and were asking for more. She spent the first few minutes unwrapping the meal and cleaning up what they'd dropped. Getting them settled, a drink in easy reach and a packet of fries in their hands, she stepped out of the car and accepted the hot coffee I proffered.

We stood around, munching on some fries so I asked who she was and what she was doing.

"My name's Claire Hanson, we came from Kansas City where my husband found another pretty skirt and left me and the kids two months ago. Not having a job, I couldn't pay the rent which is due by the first, so I packed everything in the car and told the kids we're spending Christmas by the ocean. Left a note for the landlord telling we were driving to California to see the ocean and wouldn't be back. We made it this far, but I'm out of money and don't know what to do."

"Have you been sleeping in the car?"

"Yes, but that gets old after a while."

"Why California? What's there?"

"I dunno. Seemed like a good place to 'start over'. My Mom lives there some place, but I haven't talked to her in almost 5 years. Lost contact and don't know how to reach her."

One of the kids called out and she interrupted the conversation to help. When she was finished, she stepped back and thanked me. "Mr. I don't know who you are, but thanks a million."

Reaching into my pocket, I extracted a pair of gloves, handing them to her. "Here, this'll keep your hands warm."

Planning to bid them farewell, I spy a motel by the road. "Ma'am, Claire, You look like you could use a good night's sleep. Let me get you a room. In the morning you can head on down the road."

Her eyes lit up with the offer, but she declined. "You've been most kind, but I don't want to put you out any more."

"Claire, its Christmas and this is my gift. Please accept it."

"I don't want to put you out?"

"Ma'am, its Christmas Eve. It's my pleasure to help."

She smiled, said "Okay", and drove to the motel, while I played with her kids in the car. The oldest was a boy, about five, the girl was close to three and the baby 10 months. The boy told me their names, Aaron David, Amy Carla, and Andrew Matthew.

"I'm 'Bob'." The girl had unfastened her belt, climbed over the seat and sat on my knee; her mom was navigating through traffic, pulling in front of the motel.

We left the kids in the car and went inside. I gave the clerk my credit card, pre paying for a room. "They're staying one night."

Helping them move into the room, I said a quick prayer before leaving, praying for her safety on the road. I'd started back to the car when she asked, "So, you're like an angel or something?"

This definitely made me cry, "Sweetie, at this time of year angels are really busy, so sometimes God uses regular people."

Getting back to my car, I'd forgotten about its problems. When the key was turned, it started, without a sign of the earlier troubles. God wanted me to help this woman and He intervened to make it happen.

Traffic had lessened, I traveled home without further difficulty. My excitement returned, the packing went smoothly and my car was loaded. I called Gene and confirmed my departure for tomorrow, sleep came pleasantly, I rested well.

A light covering of snow was on the ground in the morning, the sky was gray and overcast, but my heart was singing; I could get away from the pressure of work, spend a relaxing time on the road and visit with old friends. Not hungry, I skipped breakfast and would catch a bite later. Double checking that the apartment lights were out, the thermostat set low, and appliances disconnected. My coat was in the closet and I snagged it on the way out, locking the door and sliding behind the wheel.

It was early, traffic was picking up and I eased into the flow on the interstate. The radio was instructing motorists to exercise caution because of slick roads. As luck would have it, another accident at the same spot as yesterday. I didn't want to wait, and took the ramp, finding a detour. Leaving space between my car and the next, I viewed the motel where Claire is staying. Her Suburban was in the lot, and on a whim, I turned.

I parked at the far end and she exited the room; her hands carrying the baby and leading the older children, they look rested, full of energy. She'd unlocked the car, not seeing me. "Did you sleep well?" I asked.

Surprised, she almost dropped Andrew as she spun. I caught a flicker of a smile which disappeared. "Yeah we slept okay. The kids are a handful, though."

"Needs some help?"

"No, I got it. Thanks"

In a couple minutes she had them fastened in their seats and closed the door.

Something is bothering her. "What's the matter?"

"Thanks for yesterday. Thanks for the room." She stood waiting, wanting me to reply.

"Claire, what's wrong. Maybe I can help, tell me."

She stood there, thinking, not speaking. I also wait; it's her move.

After an eternity, "I can't get to California. When the tank's empty, we can't go any further and I fear they'll take my kids 'cause I can't support them."

"Check out. I'll stay with the kids. We'll talk when you return."

She smiled, walking towards the office.

I opened the car and was playing with the family, for the most part they were well behaved, a little rambunctious, but good. Aaron was trying to tickle me under my coat when she returned. I put him back in his seat, fastened the belt and closed the door. She was waiting when I turned around.

"Want to travel in caravan? I'm going to Modesto, leaving right now."

"I don't have any money."

"I didn't ask for any." I wait while she thinks this over.

"What happens once we reach Modesto?"

"You can go wherever you want. It's up to you. I'll help you get that far."

"Right now?"

"That's correct; right now."

A smile lights up her face, for once, her worries fade and she's happy again. "Okay."

Briefly I outline how to travel in caravan, the route we'd travel, and ways to communicate while driving. Initially, she'd take the lead and I'd follow. If she became lost or confused, pull over and I'd find her.

Someone told me about a Chinese proverb, that a trip of 1000 miles begins with the first step. This journey started with her in the lead and it would ultimately end in a strange manner. Claire exited the motel parking lot and slipped into traffic, with me close behind. I must admit, she was a good navigator and led us quickly to Interstate 25, heading north. At first, the road was congested, but as we left Denver behind, the cars thinned out and we settled into a pattern. The plan was to travel into Wyoming and catch Interstate 80 west, all the way into California.

Our first stop was Cheyenne; she pulled off at one of the exits and into a gas station, I'm right behind. Filling up both vehicles, a growl from my stomach reminds me I'd not eaten. "Are the kids hungry? I am."

This traveling relationship was new and she hesitated. Besides, she still didn't know me well. That's when the kids chimed in. "I'm hungry, Mom. I want a hamburger."

"Alright." She said.

I paid for the gas and we drove to the McDonald's nearby. I ordered; carrying the food to the play area. The kids were already on the equipment and having a blast. Claire was watching them and I sat across from her. "You've got great children. You should be proud of them."

Without taking her eyes from them she replied, "Thanks, I am." She walked over to help Amy who was having problems descending the slide. Giving encouragement, she caught her before reaching the bottom. Amy scampered off after Aaron and Claire returned to the table. Andrew was holding on to the table edge and watching the others play, he wanted to join them, but wasn't able to navigate the distance.

"Is he walking yet?"

"Almost, but not quite."

I picked him up and carried him to the slide, putting him on the bottom section and letting him slide the few feet, before catching him. I did it again and the smile on his face brightened. After a few times, I let him hold my finger and we walked back to the table. Sitting him in a seat, Claire opened a hamburger and tore apart the meat, letting him eat with his hands. A few fries were put within reach and he quickly made a mess on his face.

"Aaron, Amy, lets eat!" Claire called. "You can play afterwards. Come on."

Reluctantly they came and sat. She put their portions in front of them and I helped Amy take a drink. Aaron took a couple bites before running back to the play area. "Aaron, finish eating, then you can play. Get back here and sit down."

He acted like he didn't hear and continued to play. Claire moved quickly, grabbed his arm and gave him a swift 'pop' on his rear. Now he knew she meant business and returned to the table and eating the rest of his burger. The fries were stuffed into his mouth and he returned to the equipment with his cheeks bulging. I laughed at him and Claire smiled. "He's so independent, like his dad."

Amy had finished and returned to play. "They miss their dad, don't they?"

She looked at me a moment, "Yeah. I haven't told them he's gone. They think he'll be coming back."

"What'll you do once we reach California?"

"I don't know. Find a job some place, if anybody will hire me. I don't have any training and all I've ever done is flip burgers. Barry and I got married right out of high school and Aaron came along fairly quickly. Now there are three kids, and he's gone. I'm so afraid they'll be taken away."

"That really frightens you, doesn't it?"

She turned towards me and a tear coursed down her cheek. "If I were to find a job, I'd have to leave them alone. There's no way I could pay a sitter and then Children's Services would find out, label me as an unfit mother, and I'd lose them."

"What about child support?"

"Yeah, right." She said sarcastically. "Everything he earns goes to booze and women. I'd never see a penny."

We talked while the kids played. Amy had to use the bathroom, Claire took her; I watched the other two. Andrew needed changed, I rummaged around in her bag, found what was needed and preceded with the task. I'd finished and was pulling up his pants when Claire returned. She picked up the discards and disposed of them.

"Probably should get back on the road." I say. "You doing alright?"

"Yeah, I'm fine." Calling to Aaron, "Let's go Aaron, get back in the car."

Running to the table he looked at me, "Can I ride with you?"

"It's okay with me, but you better ask your Mom."

"Can I Mom? Can I?"

"It's 'May I'" she corrects. "And yes you may."

He latches onto my hand, I pick up Andrew in my other arm and we walk to the cars. Claire puts Amy in her seat and fastens the belt before taking Andrew. He's placed in his car seat while I fasten Aaron in the seat beside me. Within moments we pull back onto the interstate and are cruising westward.

The cars eat up the miles and Aaron talks a mile-a-minute beside me. He's excited about traveling, never seen the ocean. That's what he wants to see the most. His Mom had told him they could play in the sand on the beach. He's curious about the different things in my car, asking about each one. As best as possible, I explain. His eyes keep looking at the GPS screen with the map moving as we drive down the road. "What's that?"

"It's a map and tells me where we are and where we're going."

"Does it say we're going to the ocean?"

"Yes is does."

He is silent, then pipes up, "Momma says you're a nice man."

"Thank you Aaron. I think you're a nice boy." He smiles, pleased with the compliment.

He chatters for an hour until I look over, his head hanging down, he's asleep.

The car is quiet, but already I miss his voice. The road becomes a ribbon and the miles spit out behind us.

Claire stops again to change Andrew; Aaron and Amy change places and I fill the cars with gas. She's quieter but adsorbs most everything. I ask questions and she answers. She likes her brothers and misses her dad, except when he yelled at her mom. She wants a home and didn't like it when they left. She carries a doll in her arms; she wants to be a momma when she grows up.

"You will be a momma, some day you will." That brings a big smile to her face.

We'd passed Salt Lake City and were moving towards the Nevada boarder. I flash my lights and Claire takes the next exit. Taking the lead, she follows as we find a motel. The sun was down and the kids were fussy from being in the car all day. I rent two rooms and we bring our luggage in before finding a restaurant. Claire liked the 'sit down' meal, but to the kids, it made no difference; food was food. I helped Aaron cut his food and he ate a few bites, but he was tired. Amy's head was dragging too. We finished up and returned to the rooms.

"Can I stay with you, Bob?" Aaron asked.

"I think you better stay with your mom tonight. I'll see you in the morning."

Our rooms were side by side and I helped her get the kids settled before going to mine and take a shower. Nothing much was happening so I flip on the TV and watch an old black and white movie. It was halfway through when I hear a knock coming from the door adjoining our rooms.

"Can I come in?" Claire asks

"Sure."

She leaves the doors open to listen for the children. I can see Amy asleep in one of the beds, the boys must be on the other one.

"I never thanked you for helping me?"

"You don't need to. It's my pleasure." Remembering my manners, "Have a seat."

She sits in one of the chairs and I flip off the TV.

"We made some good mileage today. How far will we go tomorrow?"

"Reno, maybe a bit more. I'm in no hurry, need to be in Modesto the following day."

She was silent for a while, something is on her mind.

"What's the matter?"

"I don't know what we're going to do once we get there. Guess I'm trading one place for another; my problems just follow; I can't shake them."

"If wishes could be granted, what'd you wish for?"

"Someone would give me a good paying job and I could have my kids taken care of while I worked." She let out a sigh. "But wishes don't grow on trees."

I feel for her. She's a good mom, but life had dealt her a bad hand ever since she was left alone. "Maybe we should pray. God heard before and gave an answer, He can do it again."

Her face was looking down when she started to speak. At first I thought she was talking to me, but it didn't take long to understand the ache and pain in her heart. She was unloading her fears and frustrations, asking for help. She was talking to God like she would talk to me, not flowery, or with different words; talking to Him like she knew Him.

When she finished, I added my prayer. She needed help and she needed it soon.

As I concluded, she checked on the kids, they were sleeping and she returned to the chair. "You haven't told me much about yourself. How come you're going to Modesto?"

"Vacation. It's been 14 months since I've had a break and I finally talked my boss into letting me go. I've a college friend and he's invited me for a few days. I haven't seen him since we were in school together. He's got a family, wife and three kids."

"Where's your family?"

"Wife? I've never married. Been too busy with school and work. Have two brothers and a sister, all married. Sister has three children and one brother had two. Dad's gone, Mom lives by herself."

We chat a while longer then head for bed. There's a lot more driving tomorrow.

I wake in the morning to sounds from the other room. The kids have had a good nights sleep and are full of energy. Slipping into my clothes I knock on the door between our rooms; Claire opens and I see Aaron and Amy bouncing on the bed, having a grand time.

12