Doctor in Danger

Story Info
A heartbroken young doctor seeks isolation.
7.9k words
4.59
39.5k
17
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Moondrift
Moondrift
2,296 Followers

Martin looked once again at the letter he held in his hand as if unable to comprehend or accept what it contained.

He reread it for the third time.

"My Dear Martin,

"I have to tell you that our relationship is over, as is our planned marriage."

"I'm sorry to be so blunt, but it seems the best way rather than prevaricating, and knowing you as I do, always straight and to the point, I'm sure you prefer it this way."

"For some time I've felt that I could not be a successful doctor's wife. For a start I'm too selfish. I would make demands on your time that you would be unable to meet. What's more, as I've already found out, your life would belong to your patients as much as, if not more than, me."

"I believe that you love me in your way, but you will always be a doctor more than a husband."

"I know that if I see you again you'll be able to persuade me not to leave you -- you can always be so irresistibly persuasive"

"You may try to see me, so I must tell you that I have met someone else, and by the time you get this letter I shall have gone away with him so please don't try to find me."

"I shall always remember you with affection as I hope you will remember me."

"Have a good life.

Melanie."

The letter fell from his hand to drop on the desk. He sat as if paralyzed, unable to believe what he had read.

* * * * * * * *

Dr. Martin Holder, the brightest of the medical students in his year to graduate; "A promising young man," his professors had said.

"Have a good life," she had written, but until the moment of reading the letter a good life had been centred around Melanie and their future together.

Even more devastating was that she had met someone else; someone she must have been seeing even while..."Dear God, only two nights ago we had made love in her bed and all the time..."

He felt that he wanted to vomit, to cry out in his anguish, cursing God, or the gods, or anything or anyone he could blame for his loss; anyone or anything other than himself and his profession.

Yet Melanie had put the blame squarely on his profession and with it himself. If that was so then wouldn't any girl raise the same objections?

In his misery he failed to remember that many in his profession had very successful marriages. Even if he had remembered this it would have been of no account since the loss of Melanie blinded him to anything positive.

For Martin the loss of Melanie was akin to someone beloved who had died. In fact it was worse because he knew she still lived and was with someone else. This added humiliation to his bereavement.

At such times we are apt to make snap decisions that afterwards we come to regret. Martin made such a decision now.

He was currently working at a city medical clinic in a salaried capacity, now he scoured the medical journals looking at advertisements for general practitioners. He had to get away...get away anywhere as long as it was far away.

Eventually he found what he was looking for; a practice was for sale in a small coastal town, Point Danger. There was only one doctor in the place and he was retiring. The cost of buying the practice was small compared to a practice in the larger centres of population.

He telephone the incumbent, a Dr. Ferris, and made an arrangement to see the practice.

* * * * * * * *

Dr. Ferris had practiced in the town for over forty years and knew almost everyone. Unfortunately the equipment had not been updated since he'd first arrived, and Martin realized that most of it would have to be replaced; this meant borrowing more than he'd anticipated.

It had the advantage of being the only medical practice in the town, but this meant also the disadvantage of carrying more responsibility than a city practice with its hospitals and specialists close at hand. The nearest hospital to Point Danger was eighty kilometers away at Darley Heads.

Nevertheless, in his grief over the loss of Melanie this remoteness was what Martin sought. Here was a place that carried no memories of Melanie and eventually there would be forgetfulness.

And so, after negotiations with the bank for a loan, and against the advice of his colleagues, Martin bought the practice at Point Danger.

Along with the consulting room, waiting and reception areas went what had been Dr. Ferris' modest house, a three bedroom affair that had once held not only Dr. Ferris, but his wife and three children as well. No doubt a trifle crowded before the children left home, the place was far larger than one lone doctor needed.

Regarding "lone doctor," that was how Martin intended to keep it. No more women in his life, he would be a sort of medical monk. Sex, wife and family had been replaced by a decision for the celibate life.

Despite the smallness of the town Martin anticipated that he would be busy, and even if he was inclined to be his own receptionist and cleaner -- and he was not so inclined - he would need someone to clean the house and the consulting area.

Dr. Ferris had employed a receptionist, Miss Reynolds, who was well past retirement age. Like the doctor she knew just about everyone in the town, but she had decided to retire "Because I've worked for dear Dr. Ferris since I was twenty five and can't see myself settling in with another doctor."

Mrs. Ferris, the devoted doctor's wife, had kept house for him and, as some might say, "Had pandered to his whims" since a couple of years after Ferris had qualified, which amounted to nearly forty five years. Thus Martin was faced with recruiting his own staff.

Discussing this problem with Dr. Ferris before the latter bowed out; Ferris suggested what might be described as a package deal.

"There are a widow and her daughter who live right next door," he said. "The mother sent the girl to some sort of secretarial college in the city, she's only just come back here, but I don't suppose she'll stay for long because she'll be looking for work, and there's nothing much around here for young people. If you get in quick you might be able to get her."

"Of course, I don't know if she'll be any good at the job, but if you interview her and think she'll be okay, Miss Reynolds could fill her in about what's needed."

"As for a cleaner, I'm thinking of the girl's mother. Like your self she's a foreigner, only lived here for ten years. Funny sort of woman, keeps herself to herself. She doesn't seem to be short of a few dollars but I'm thinking she might appreciate a bit extra, you could try her."

Martin saw no problems concerning the cleaner, but the receptionist was a different matter. Dr. Ferris still kept his patient records on filing cards, but one of the innovations Martin intended was a thoroughly computerized system linking him with the various pathology services, the hospital at Darley Heads and some city specialists, as well as the keeping of patient records. He wondered if the girl, whose name was Sari Hockham would be up to the job.

Martin decided he'd see the girl, and Dr. Ferris said he'd arrange the interview, and so while, much to Dr. Ferris' distress, Martin oversaw the arrival and installation of his new equipment -- and the departure of the old -- Martin interviewed Sari Hockham.

Since Dr. Ferris was still consulting Martin used the lounge in the house for the interview. Mrs. Ferris brought Sari in and introduced her.

Martin was somewhat dismayed on seeing the girl.

At twenty one she was a lovely creature with a kind of wild-rose pink and white complexion, a long delicate neck, pale golden hair sculpted close to her exquisitely shaped head in soft natural waves, eyes of a deep vivid blue, a short slightly upturned nose and small beautifully shaped ears set close to her head.

Her figure was of the kind that most men find intoxicating, slim, yet curving in all the right female places. Even the now resolutely celibate Martin felt a lurching sensation in the pit of his stomach, a tingling sensation in his testes, and the threat of an erection.

Martin's immediate reaction was dismissive, "A girl like her won't stay long around this town," but on looking at her secretarial college records he began to soften.

She spoke quietly yet distinctly, and when questioned about her computer skills she revealed a knowledge that went far beyond Martin's own limited understanding of the infernal machines.

She'd gone so far as to speak with the redoubtable Miss Reynolds about the practice records, and she assured Martin it would, "be no trouble at all to get the whole lot on computer."

Trying to be subtle about ascertaining Sari's future intentions he asked her how she liked living at Point Danger. She replied that she loved it and all the time she was studying in the city she had longed to be home. She went on to eulogize the pleasures of the beach, the fresh air, and the walks in the nearby tree clad hills.

"And anyway," she added, "If I do want to occasionally go to the city it's only a couple of hours drive."

Martin decided he would employ her, but it was agreed only on a trial basis for the first three months, and then if they suited each other Sari would be taken on permanently with an increased salary.

Martin was somewhat overwhelmed by the girl's gratitude, but it was not simply gratitude that she had got the job, but had got a job in the town where she wanted to live.

Dr. Ferris had not set up an interview for Mrs. Hockham, the possible cleaner, and at the end of Sari's interview Martin wanted to raise the matter with her, but hesitated because he couldn't imagine that the mother of a girl like Sari would be willing to come and clean for him.

As Sari was about to leave Martin said cautiously, "Er...Sari...er..."

"Yes Dr. Holder?"

"Wanted to ask about...I ...er...wondered if your mother...if she'd..."

"Oh, how did you hear about her, she's never told anyone?"

"Told anyone what?"

"Well when we first moved here mother did think she might be able to get a job with Dr. Ferris, but of course, Miss Reynolds did both jobs so..."

"What both jobs?"

"Receptionist and practice nurse."

"Ah, yes, well, I've tentatively decided to dispense with the practice nurse."

Sari sighed; "That's a pity; mother's well qualified as a practice nurse and so I thought you meant...what do you want her for?"

"I...er...well you see, I don't have anyone to look after the house and clean the..."

"A cleaner!"

"Well you see, Dr. Ferris said that your mother might be interested in..."

"She's got all sorts of certificates and things," Sari went on, "and she worked as a practice nurse before we moved here, so couldn't you..."

"Sari," Martin said more briskly than he intended, "perhaps I should talk it over with your mother."

"Yes, yes, perhaps that would be best," Sari said doubtfully.

"Look Sari," Martin said, "rather than your mother coming to see me, why don't I come to your house and see her there. I've got some equipment arriving any time now and after that if I come to your house and if your mother's at home we could..."

"Oh yes, she's at home this afternoon, I'll tell her you're coming to see her."

"Thanks Sari."

"Thank you, doctor."

* * * * * * * *

It was two-thirty when Martin rang the Hockham door bell, and he was curious to see what manner of woman Sari's mother was.

Whatever imagery of Mrs. Hockham Martin had conjured with in his mind, it was completely blown away when Mrs. Hockham opened the door.

Martin's first thought was that he was seeing Sari, but when the woman said, "Dr. Holder, my daughter tells me you want to see me," he realized that he was seeing an older version of Sari.

Like her daughter she was exceedingly attractive, but with the fuller figure and facial features of a mature woman, Martin thought she might well be Sari's older sister rather than her mother.

Feeling a trifle embarrassed Martin said, "Er...yes Mrs. Hockham, I wondered if...that is...if you'd like to..."

"Come in...come in," Mrs. Hockham said, "we can talk better in the lounge than standing here on the doorstep."

She led him into the lounge and when they were seated Mrs. Hockham said, "Before you say anything doctor I must thank you for giving Sari the job. She was so unhappy at the thought of having to leaving Point Danger again."

Mrs. Hockham was wearing a plain white dress that reminded Martin of some of the nurse's uniforms he had seen. The hem of the dress had slipped up above her knees as she sat down to partially reveal promising thighs. As with the daughter Martin felt his psycho-physical organism gearing up for baby making.

Tearing his eyes away from the alluring limbs they came to rest briefly upon what appeared to be an equally captivating part of her anatomy, her bosom. Where the dress passed over the delightful hillocks they strained enticingly against the buttons.

For a moment Martin imagined himself undoing those buttons to gaze upon the delights that would be revealed.

Reminding him self that this was not what he was here for, and in any case he had sworn eternal severance from the female of the species, he was nevertheless so flustered by the attractive Mrs. Hockham that he took off in a direction he had not intended.

"Er...ah...Mrs. Hockham, your daughter told me that you are a qualified nurse."

"Yes."

"With experience working in general practice?"

"Yes."

"Miss Reynolds has served Dr. Ferris as both receptionist and nurse but will be leaving."

"Yes."

"Well at least she's not garrulous," Martin thought as he went on, "The fact is, that I can't at this stage afford to pay for both a full time receptionist and nurse, but if you are qualified and..."

"Oh but I am qualified," Mrs. Hockham interrupted quickly; "I can show you my certificates and references."

"Those proving satisfactory," Martin said rather pompously to cover up the effect Mrs. Hockham was having on him, "I might be able to offer you a part time position in the practice."

"I'll get the documents," Mrs. Hockham said eagerly.

"Ah...before you do, there is one other thing Mrs. Hockham."

"Yes?"

"Er...I am unmarried and..."

"Yes we know," Mrs. Hockham interrupted.

"You know, how do you...?

"The whole town knows by now. Dr. Ferris must have told Florence and..."

"Florence?"

"His wife; she keeps everybody in touch with what's going on around the place."

"Oh, well, what I was going to say was that I expect to be busy and won't have time to..."

"Keep the house the surgery area clean and tidy, yes, Sari told me."

"Oh."

"And that's what you really wanted me for, isn't it, Sari told me."

"Yes, I have to admit that it was, but seeing you, well, I thought it might be important to have a nurse at least part time."

"I'll get my papers," Mrs. Hockham said.

After a couple of minutes Mrs. Hockham returned with two large envelopes. She took out a document from one saying, "This is the reference from my last job."

Martin read it though and it glowed with praise, especially with reference to interpersonal relationships. It ended rather flamboyantly, "She has been an ornament to the practice." It was signed Christopher Baker MD.

Martin glanced up at Mrs. Hockham and could well believe she had been an "ornament." He said, "I see you worked for Dr. Baker; he's a great friend of mine."

For a moment he thought he saw a shadow pass over Mrs. Hockham's face.

He scanned the other documents and then said, "Well, Mrs. Hockham," you seem to attract high praise, so shall we say that you've got the job? Dr. Ferris has just under one week left in the practice before I take over, so we'd better arrange your work schedule.

"Oh...oh...thank you, I never thought I'd...well, be able to start again here and...would you like a cup of tea?"

"Ah...oh...er... yes please."

She rose to go and make the tea and Martin said, "Shall I come with you, we can talk while you make the tea."

"Yes...yes of course."

He followed her into the kitchen and seated himself at the table. As Mrs. Hockham made the tea they talked about days and times.

Mrs. Hockham seemed to have an aura about her, a charm that made one feel relaxed. Martin began to understand what was meant when referring to her interpersonal skills, something he often felt he was deficient in. "She could well prove an asset to the practice," he thought.

Over the cup of tea Martin said, "In most of the practices these days a lot of the old formalities have been dropped. I wonder if I might call you by your given name?"

"Harmony," she replied.

"Harmony, an unusual name."

She smiled and said, "Given by optimistic and musical parents."

"Why don't you call me Martin?"

"That's a nice name."

"Yes, my parents were keen bird watchers."

* * * * * * * *

They went on to talk about the town and what sort of people who lived there and what they did for a living. Much of this Martin had already heard from Dr. Ferris, but it was interesting to hear another point of view, and for one of whom Dr. Ferris had said, she "keeps herself to herself," Harmony seemed to be well versed in local affairs.

As the talk became friendlier, if not intimate, Martin asked, "And how long has your husband been dead?"

There was an ominous silence and Martin saw Harmony's face flush.

Thinking he had made an appalling gaffe Martin was momentarily lost for words.

Harmony, who had seemed to him a woman with considerable poise, was clearly troubled and she began to show signs of tension; twisting a tea spoon in her hands and tapping it against her saucer.

Stumblingly Martin said, "I'm sorry if...if I've said...said...but you seem so young to be a widow."

"Yes."

She paused for a moment and then went on, "You know Dr. Baker?"

"Yes, he's a great friend and a sort of mentor I suppose."

There was another pause as Harmony seemed to be struggling to make up her mind to say something.

Martin was concerned that he might be the cause of whatever it was that seemed to be troubling Harmony.

"Is there something wrong, have I...?"

"No it's not really you, it's just that you know Dr. Baker, and well, he knows about me."

"Knows what?"

Harmony gave a deep sigh and asked, "Can I tell you something in confidence?"

Martin put on his Hippocratic persona and said, "Yes, of course." He waited for some shocking revelation."

Harmony took a deep breath and said, "I'm not really a widow."

"No?"

"I'm a single parent; 'widow' is a sort of fiction I've maintained since I moved here. It seems somehow more respectable."

Martin could not contain himself. He laughed heartily and said, "My dear Harmony I sometimes think that half the parents in this country are single parents these days."

"I know it sounds silly Doc...Martin, but I came here to make a fresh start. Even these days' people still look with more suspicion at a single parent than they do a widow. Other women think that because you're a single parent and a female you're more likely to be after their husbands, though God knows why, because I think widows are just as predatory."

Martin shrugged and said, "You may be right." He privately thought that married women might well be suspicious of such an attractive woman who was, as it were, on the loose.

"You know," Harmony continued, "behind your back they say things about you being a burden on the tax payer, and I suppose there's some truth in that, but I've never taken a cent of welfare money."

"Then how have you lived?" Martin asked.

"The bast...the man who made me pregnant was made to pay."

"But that doesn't usually amount to much."

Harmony laughed disdainfully; "No, not usually, but he belonged to a wealthy and well known Establishment family, and they'd do anything to hide up the fact that he'd made a young girl...a very young girl, pregnant, especially as he was married and had three children and occupied a very prominent public position."

Moondrift
Moondrift
2,296 Followers