Dominant Species Ch. 55-56

Story Info
The Pied Piper of Montana.
5.7k words
4.88
17.2k
24

Part 15 of the 21 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 08/11/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
partwolf
partwolf
2,297 Followers

Donald had to keep his head low as he rushed under the back of the truck, so when he reached his man there was no time to jump. The punk never knew what hit him; one moment he was closing the tailgate and leering at a crying young woman, the next his groin exploded in pain. Donald bit deeply, shaking his head as the momentum of his charge knocked his man on his back. He didn't wait, he released his bite and lunged for the man's unprotected throat. This time when his teeth bit deep, he held on. Viciously shaking his large head side to side, his wolf in full control, he ripped and tore at his throat until his head was rolling along the sidewalk.

BANG! He looked for the source of the shot, it was the man who had been beating the old woman in the crowd. He didn't get off a second shot, Barry leaped onto his back, his teeth gripping him by the spine. The man screamed as he fell forward, his gun dropped from his hand as he tried to grab the wolf off of him. Barry slammed him into the pavement with his full body weight, then shifted his grip and tore his throat out.

Donald looked to his right, Terry had already finished off his man and was running to Brian's side. Brian had not been as lucky in his attack as his man had moved during his leap, and he only succeeded in biting his shoulder and knocking him to the ground. The man rolled clear and pulled a knife with his good hand, pointing it at the huge wolf who had just attacked him. They could smell his fear as his eyes went from Brian to Terry, then to the others. The two wolves looked at each other, then made a space in the circle for Barry. These assholes had tormented and killed innocents, and they were going to make ONE of them pay with more than a quick death.

Terry moved first, leaping forward from behind and grabbing his knife forearm with his powerful jaws. The man screamed and dropped the knife, he tried to pull his arm away but it wasn't going to happen. He reached across with his injured arm, but Barry got to it first. The man screamed again as he went to his knees. The two wolves pulled in opposite directions, holding the man in the prison jumpsuit upright as Brian growled in his face.

He pissed himself.

Donald smiled as he watched his friends take the man apart strip by painful strip. The townspeople watched in a combination of horror and relief as his screams were finally silenced. It was such an effective distraction, no one saw him shift into his human form. Pulling the shorts from the man Terry killed since his guy had blood all over them, he stood up and faced the town. "ENOUGH," he yelled.

The three wolves sat down looking at him, and the townspeople gaped at the bare-chested stranger who had just shown up in their midst. "My name is Donald Ross, I'm with the North Fork pack of werewolves. We come in friendship, and mean you no harm."

The statement set off a cacophony of yells, statements and questions that he couldn't begin to answer. "Quiet, please." He waited for the noise to die down. "I know you don't believe it, but let's face it, there's a lot we can't believe about these last few days. Terry, Barry, go get some clothes. Brian, come here."

Brian padded over as the others ran off, despite being covered with blood he was trying to be as friendly and non-threatening as he could. The scent of fear was still prevalent as Donald took the jeans off the man Barry had killed. The crowd moved back nervously as the two approached. Donald looked at them, then back at the three women in the back of the truck who were peering over the tailgate with frightened eyes. "Just watch. Brian, shift."

Brian turned away from the large group and sat down before smoothly shifting to his human form. As the people behind him gasped and talked, he pulled on the jeans and stood up to face them. "It's all right," he said. "We aren't here to hurt you, we are here to help."

One of the men in the group stepped forward. "You are real..."

Donald nodded. "We've lived among you for centuries, we are your friends, neighbors, coworkers. We just have a little extra."

"Why are you here? I mean, we appreciate you getting rid of those guys, but why?" The man looked around, some of the people behind him nodding their heads.

"I am looking for the parents of Abigail Dawson."

There was a shriek from the crowd as a middle aged woman with her dark hair in braids started to cry. "Abigail? My baby is alive?" She ran to Donald and hugged his bare waist as he comforted her.

"Yes, she's alive Angela, she's in North Fork, Idaho with my people." She looked up at him. "And Autumn is doing fine too." He rocked her gently as she sobbed into him. "Your husband? Did Bruce make it?"

She pulled back and looked at the bank building. "He... he's dying." She looked down at the ground. "He tried to come get me, I was working at the bank when it happened, and he was blinded. Now he's got a fever, he's coughing up blood. We've tried to help him, tried to help all of them but nothing works."

"How many people are sick in there?"

"Thirteen. We lost five today, they don't think the rest will make it too much longer."

Just then Terry and Barry came back wearing clothes they had taken from a nearby house. Donald looked at the people and made another decision he didn't like, but he had to. "We can help, we have a doctor down in Salmon and he knows how to save them. Terry, Barry, help them retrieve the sick and let's get them in the truck."

Several people from the group on the sidewalk moved back into the bank, so Donald turned to the truck. "Ladies, I'm sorry for what happened here." Looking back at the crowd, he asked a few women to find clothes for them then he dropped the tailgate.

Digging in his borrowed shorts, he pulled out a keychain that luckily had a handcuff key. He quickly freed three girls, then moved to the front of the bed where the fourth was sitting against the cab, her head down. "Miss, I'm just going to..." He stopped when he lifted her chin and saw the hole in the center of her forehead. Her eyes were open and glazed.

"FUCK!" He checked for a pulse, but there was none. His outburst attracted the other girls, who started to scream and cry for their friend Kim who now was cradled lifeless in Donald's arms. He called for a blanket, and one was passed in. He had it set down then covered her with it, rolling it around before he picked her up and carried her out. The townspeople were aghast at the change in fortune, the young bank teller had been well liked.

Two women moved forward and relieved him of his burden. "We'll take her. We have a grave in the park we are using for the dead." They moved off, several more watching, as the sick and wounded made their way out. The girls were given clothing and helped down, they moved quickly to their friends and family in the crowd.

Terry looked over at Donald as he sat on the steps of the bank. "What now, Donald? We can save a few, but the rest are sitting ducks. Imagine what happens tomorrow night when the guys in Missoula figure out their men didn't come back."

He looked around. "I don't know, Terry, we only have one car and the night is half over already." He got up and went to the group still gathered on the sidewalk. "Are there any vehicles still running in this town? Especially big ones?"

An older man nodded. "There are a couple old buses at the school district garage, they have the old diesel engines. I fired them up last night, I just didn't have a place to go. We figure the bank with all the steel and concrete was what saved us from getting sick, so we didn't leave."

"Can you go get them?" He nodded, pulling another man with him as they walked down the street. Looking at the rest of the people, he stood tall and gave them the only choice he could. "You can stay here, but we have to take your wounded and we can't protect you if they come back tomorrow. We do have enough room for you in North Fork. If you want to go with us, grab what food and clothing you can carry and be back here in fifteen minutes to get on the buses." Some people left immediately, others stayed and asked questions, but soon they had all gone to get ready.

The four men looked around, and Barry looked at the people in the back. "Good a time as any, boss. The sooner we bite them the faster they heal."

Donald nodded, jumping up into the truck as they closed the tailgate. He pulled off his shorts then shifted to wolf form, then moved from person to person biting their arm or leg. It only took a few minutes and he was back down. They could hear the buses coming. "All right, Terry will be with me in this truck, we will be lead. I want each of you to be in a bus, be up front where you can get out quick if we run into trouble. Tell the drivers to stay together, but keep back from us a quarter mile or so. If we get it trouble, do what you have to in order to reach North Fork or find a place to hide for the day."

The three nodded, it seemed like a good plan.

The townspeople had started to return and loaded up the buses, in addition to the wounded in the truck they had forty-seven more in the buses by the time they left town. Donald drove the army truck, leading the way south. He and Terry were busy scanning the road ahead and the surroundings for danger, but it was eerily quiet. It didn't get fun until they approached the first town they had bypassed, Hamilton. A man ran out into the road, frantically waving his arms. They slowed down and stopped next to him.

"Thank God you're here! I can't believe it!" The man was about eighteen years old and smelled of stress.

"Why?" Donald looked around, the town of over four thousand was strangely quiet.

"Well, because the Army is here to take care of us!" He looked behind them, he could see the lights of the buses coming.

"I hate to break it to you, boy, but we aren't Army and we aren't here to take care of you. We're evacuating some injured and refugees. What is the situation here?"

The kid pointed towards downtown. "We've got a few hundred survivors, we are mostly in the town hall, except the sick are at the clinic." He pointed to the building a few blocks down.

"How many sick?"

"Maybe thirty, I don't know, they've been dying off pretty quick." He shook his head. "Nothing we do helps them, they end up choking on their own blood."

Donald sighed, he didn't have much room but he wasn't going to leave more people to die. "All right, you wait here for the buses and tell them to meet me at the clinic. We'll grab who we can. Meanwhile, who is in charge here?"

"The Sheriff, I guess. He's acting like that, anyway."

"All right, when you get done with the buses, you find this Sheriff and have him meet me at the clinic." They pulled away and stopped outside the single-story building. He told Terry to wait with the truck while he went inside.

He was met by a middle-aged woman in scrubs. "Who the hell are you?" Her eyes were sunken with dark circles under them, she clearly hadn't slept in a long time.

"I'm Donald, I'm evacuating wounded to Salmon where we have a doctor who can help them."

"How? I've been treating these people for days, there is no effective treatment for radiation sickness this severe other than palliative care. If there was, I would be doing it!"

Donald smirked. "The cure, it isn't one in the medical books. It does work, though." He looked at her name badge. "Doctor Jenkins, I'd like to start with the most serious cases, we can load them in the truck. A few buses will be here shortly for the rest."

"No one is going anywhere, mister, until I'm convinced that they will get better care elsewhere." She folded her arms across her chest, glaring at him.

"Fine. You want to see how we heal them?" She nodded. "Don't scream." He stepped back and dropped his shorts, then shifted into his large wolf form. He moved to her, she was frozen until he touched her hand, then she started to scratch his ears. He shifted back, immediately turning to get his shorts back on. "I'm a werewolf, if you haven't figured it out. When we bite them, the change starts, and the change has regenerative ability. We've saved over a hundred people this way, people with blindness, sickness, even on the brink of death. There is no other way, you of all people know that the ones who haven't recovered yet, won't."

"Well raise my rent, you ARE the kid." She shook her head, still trying to get her mind around it. "I'm coming with, though. They are still my patients."

"Fine." She led him back to where the most serious cases were, and between the gurneys and him carrying them they had four people loaded in the truck before the buses got there. Barry and Brian exited the buses, while the other people looked out the open bus windows. "We're taking Doc here and their sick with us. It's going to be tight, so please cooperate." Five minutes later, the bus and the truck were full just as a Sheriff arrived.

"What the hell is going on here, Doc?" He looked at the half-dressed men and the buses. "And who are these people?"

"I'm Donald Ross, from North Fork. I evacuated most of these people from Corvallis. There is a criminal gang out of Missoula, they sent people south to loot and kill. They are dead, but tomorrow night they might come here. I suggest you be ready for them." Everyone else had loaded up, so Donald shook his hand as he got ready to leave. "I'll send reinforcements when I can, we will honk the horn three times as we approach so you know we are friendly. All right?"

The Sheriff looked at Donald, then up at Dr. Jenkins who was in the middle of the seat next to Terry. "You agree with this, Doc?"

She nodded. "We have to go, keep everyone safe, all right? Let them know that I'm taking my patients to Salmon for care." Donald hopped up and put the truck into gear, and they moved off with the buses following.

Donald pushed the truck up as fast as he was comfortable as they went down Highway 93, still nervous as they hadn't cleared this part of the road. Terry was answering Doc's questions, and she had a lot of them. Donald had to answer about the changes, the process, the symptoms, everything. Finally, as they saw the sign for the next town, Donald realized that they still had decisions to make.

"We've got Como, Gorus and Darby still before we hit the mountains. What about those people?" Doc's question hit them hard; even though the towns were smaller, they still could have survivors.

"I'm hoping the Sheriff can stop any bad guys in Hamilton, that gives us a little time."

Terry looked out. "Yeah, but that doesn't help any sick, and it doesn't ensure the towns are safe for us to pass through."

Donald noodled on it, he didn't like the answer but it was the best one. "You'll have to link this to Barry and Brian. I'm going to just drive straight through the towns, if they don't attack we'll assume they are friendly. Have Brian bail out in Como, Barry in Gorus and you in Darby. Scope out the people, change those who are sick, and organize the rest. Top priority is vehicles, food and drugs. I'll bring reinforcements back tomorrow night and we can pick them up."

"You sure they'll want to go?"

Donald nodded. "Most will, we can offer them safety and community. If they don't, fine. The towns are close enough together that you should be able to pass messages along." He waited for Terry to finish his linking, then finally it was agreed on. Just in time, Donald thought, as they pushed through the first town.

He didn't slow down too much as he passed through the one stoplight town, the stoplight of course not working. He had to stop and push a vehicle out of the way to clear the road, but it was enough for the coming buses. They were out of the town without incident. This repeated at the next two towns, and soon they had reached the mountains again.

"Are we going to make it, Donald? It's not too long until sunrise."

"I think so, Doc. We've been through this part of the road, it's clear and safe. I don't think we will make Salmon but we can at least stop in North Fork for the day."

"That won't affect our sick?"

"The first ones are going to start getting the fevers in a few hours. Our Pack has enough people to help them out, and you'll be there to monitor." This led to a long discussion about Pack structure, what had happened in their Pack and Salmon, and other details that kept him busy until they were close enough for him to link his Pack.

Alpha Calvin was surprised to hear from him so soon, more so when he was told what he was bringing. He promised they would be ready, and he said he would make sure Abigail was there to meet them. "What do you want me to tell Silvia, Donald?"

He sighed. "Tell her I have to go back, that I couldn't get farther north than Corvallis. I'll explain it to all of you when we are settled." He wasn't looking forward to that conversation.

"I will. And Donald?" Calvin waited a moment. "I know you did what you had to do, she won't hold it against you."

"I hope so, Alpha. I really hope so. I hope she doesn't hate me if she finds out her family didn't make it because I didn't go there like I said." He cut the communication off, wiping his eyes as he needed to focus on the road ahead.

When they pulled into town, the whole Pack was there to meet them. He came to a stop, and before he turned the truck off people were already starting to unload the sick from the back and carry them inside. He looked around for his Silvia, and his shoulders fell when he didn't see her. "Welcome back, Donald." Calvin embraced his Beta as they looked back at the buses.

"GRANDMA!! GRANDMA!!" An excited Autumn raced forward as Angela stepped off the bus. They both started to cry as she hugged her granddaughter to her. The pair was quickly embraced by a crying Abigail.

"Mom? Is Dad..."

"He's still alive, honey. He's in the truck, he was very sick. Donald said that biting him would save him, so that's what he did."

Autumn started to jump up and down. "Yay! Grandpa gets to be a wolf too!"

"Too?"

"Yep, watch me Grandma!" Autumn pulled off her dress and shifted into her pup form. She jumped up with her front paws and started licking her face as she leaned down.

"Oh my, it's true!" Angela knelt and hugged the pup to her. "You're beautiful, Autumn!"

Donald walked towards the hotel, he was completely wiped out and the others would take care of all the people he had brought with. There was only one person he wanted to see, and she was hiding in her room. As he got closer, the door opened and his mate stepped out, her scent both calming and exciting his wolf.

"My family?" She looked at him with hope in her eyes.

"I'm sorry, Silvia. Missoula is under the control of a criminal gang, I couldn't get close enough to find them, and then I had to deal with all this." He looked over to the others.

Her face fell, and she closed the door on him without saying another word.

Donald sat in front of her door, his hands over his face, and he sobbed as his mind went back through everything that had happened, wishing it would have turned out differently.

--

Donald sat by her door, his wolf whining in his head at the separation from his mate. He had stopped crying twenty minutes earlier, he knew it wouldn't help to rehash his decisions. As he looked at the people settling in, he knew deep down he had made the right choice for the Pack to bring them here, to save the sick and dying.

It wasn't right by his mate, though, and her disappointment crushed him.

He listened as she moved about the room, feeding and then changing Michelle and putting her to bed. Abigail and her family had passed him as they went into the room next door. She was crying as she hugged him and thanked him for saving her parents. He told her it was the right thing to do, and he almost believed it. They had seen Silvia's mood and had taken Zach into their room, he was going to sleep with the puppy pile in one bed while Abigail and Angela shared the other.

partwolf
partwolf
2,297 Followers
12