Dominant Species Ch. 68-71

Story Info
Conclusion.
11.4k words
4.85
17.4k
44

Part 21 of the 21 part series

Updated 06/08/2023
Created 08/11/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
partwolf
partwolf
2,297 Followers

The sound of the shotgun blast followed by the pain from Travis, and the panic from the others, told Alpha Calvin immediately that something had gone horribly wrong. He took off at a dead run for the next street, as his Pack members had been spread out to search the houses along the way out of town. He passed the horrified students in the hay wagon and burst into the yard where his naked Pack members were kneeling over a prone wolf.

With Eric up on the tractor, James was the only one not surrounding Travis. James was also naked but had a middle aged man by the throat and was holding him against the wall next to his front door. He could see the shotgun at his feet and a scared family staring out the window. He shifted, looking at Travis he knew it was bad. He had taken buckshot to the head and chest and was bleeding from multiple wounds. "Get him in the wagon, and get pressure on the wounds. MOVE!"

He didn't wait for them to pick him up, he had another problem right now. "JAMES! Stand down. Let him talk." James hesitated briefly then let the man go; the man sank to his butt as he tried to get his breath back. "What happened here?"

"We were searching for survivors, Travis smelled something and howled. As he came into the yard this asshole stepped out and shot him."

Calvin looked at the man who was scared to death and shaking. "It was a big fucking wolf," he said. "I didn't know you were real. Werewolves... I didn't KNOW! I was just protecting my family!" The door opened and his wife handed out a stack of shorts; smiling, he put a pair on and held the rest. When he was decent, his wife and ten-year-old daughter came out.

"It's my fault," Calvin said. "I should have known that a big wolf might scare someone, it's not the first time tonight a human has pointed a gun at us." He looked at the hay wagon where they were loading Travis up. "Look, we're evacuating survivors to Corvallis. There are people there who can help, food, shelter. You can come with us, but we have to leave RIGHT now. I've got to get him to the hospital."

The man stood and pulled his wife into a hug, talking briefly they turned and nodded. "We're in. It's too dangerous here."

Calvin waved them and they moved towards the tractor. "What about our stuff? I'm Carol, by the way."

"No time, if it is still here the next time we come up here we can grab what you need. Come on." He helped her up into the back of the hay wagon while her husband Mitch helped their daughter Emma up. The two of them jumped on and Eric put it in gear, accelerating down the road. Calvin tossed the shorts to the other naked men, much to the disappointment of some of the college girls, and went to check Travis. They had laid hay down in the center of the wagon to try and make him comfortable; he couldn't reach him over the bond as he had passed out. Two of the girls had first aid training, they were using strips of clothing to try and stop the bleeding. "How is he?"

A blonde-haired girl looked up. "I'm not a vet, but only two of the holes are bleeding bad. His breathing is labored, he might have a collapsed lung. He needs help now."

Calvin walked to the front where he could talk to Eric. "Eric- give me as much speed as you can, I don't care if we all throw up back here, we need to get him to Corvallis."

"This IS top speed," he replied.

They were moving at a decent pace, about as fast as a wolf could run, so there wasn't much else he could do. He moved back past where Travis was laying; the family was at the very back, looking warily at the people in the wagon. Calvin opened the bond to his Pack members so they could hear what he was saying, and a number of students were listening in as well. "This... this was an accident. It's not your fault, I don't blame you for shooting him and nobody else will either. We needed to be smarter than that, we didn't think about how we would be seen, and that is on me."

Mitch watched as Calvin's head looked down, he could tell he was blaming himself. "No, it's my fault too. I heard the tractor, I should have thought about maybe using dogs for the search. I was scared... I just reacted. It's on me too." He sat forward and pulled Calvin into a bro hug.

"Lots of bad shit has gone down lately, Calvin. We'll get past this too." His hug was soon joined by his wife and daughter, and pretty soon all of them were crying. The students gave them some privacy and in a few minutes they sat back and wiped their eyes. "So, we've been hiding in the basement since the world went to hell, what has been happening out here?"

Calvin waved Rob, Derek and James over and they moved more to the center, as the students were all interested in what all was going on. They traded stories as the miles passed slowly by and the wagon swayed side to side. It was a good diversion from the bleak landscape, the uncertainty, and the raspy breathing of a badly injured wolf. The survivors were glad they avoided the criminal gang that had taken over the town, although Calvin didn't linger on their crimes against women. They were all interested in werewolves, how they lived and how the Packs were coming together.

Calvin kept trying the bond as they passed through the small towns along the Bitterroot River valley, and eventually he was able to reach a pack member in Corvallis. Unfortunately, Candice was farther south in Henderson and was out of range. The message would have to be relayed, and that took a little longer.

Eventually Candice's message came back. "Doctor Jenkins just got here, she has Silvia's car. Doc Marcus is down in North Fork." He relayed what the injuries were as best he could, and a few minutes later got the relayed reply. They were leaving the Henderson clinic in a few minutes; Silvia was driving and bringing the Doc and a nurse.

"Sounds great, we're a couple miles south of Lolo. The tractor can only do about twenty, so haul ass up here." He moved forward to update Eric, and set the other boys up front to watch for her. Moving back to where the two girls were still tending to Travis, he knelt down by them. "We've got help coming, a doctor and nurse from Henderson are on their way."

"Thank God," the blonde said. "This is beyond my training, and I don't have any supplies. I can tell his blood pressure is low, and his breathing is getting worse by the minute. I don't know what else to do."

He hugged her to his side. "You're doing everything you can. Thank you." She looked at him nervously, then back to the big wolf next to her. A stray tear ran down her cheek as she rubbed her hand down Travis' neck.

-

"Can this thing go any faster?" Doc Jenkins was nervously looking ahead, her vision at night wasn't that good compared to Candice so she wasn't driving. A true Type A personality, she didn't like situations she couldn't control.

"Not really, we still have stalled cars, even bodies in the roads. I'd rather get there in one piece." She looked down at the speedometer, she was doing eighty. "Besides, the suspensions on these old cars and the handling isn't as good as what I'm used to." Just to make her point, they went over a bump and felt the car rock on the springs three more times until the shocks stabilized it again. They had blown past Corvallis, and were now flying up 93 between the small towns.

Ten minutes later they saw the headlights of the old tractor. Candice linked them, so they were stopped and had Travis ready to unload by the time they had turned around and pulled behind them. Before they even stopped, Doc and her nurse were opening the doors and rushing forward. She started listening to his lungs even before Calvin had brought him and set him in the back seat of the car. The two climbed into the huge backseat with him, while Calvin jumped in front. Twenty seconds after they arrived, they were heading south again.

"Can you get him to shift to human form?" Doc was nervous, she wasn't a damn veterinarian and this was tougher than she thought.

"Not unless he wakes up, it takes conscious thought to shift." Calvin kept his eyes on them as they worked; she was using forceps and a scalpel to cut into the wounds and extract the buckshot. As she worked, the nurse would seal the wounds with a glue and covered it with a bandage. They tossed the blood soaked pads out of the car as they went, furiously trying to stop the bleeding.

"Pulse is 110 and dropping," the nurse said.

"Left lung is collapsed, we'll have to reinflate. Candice, pull over." As she was stopping, Doc was pulling a chest tube kit out of the emergency medical bag. Ripping it open, she used a scalpel to make an incision and carefully inserted the tube. When it was inserted into the chest cavity, she used sutures to close the wound around the tube and attached the Heimlich valve. She then put gauze around the sited and used tape to secure it to his chest. They watched the bubbly mixture of blood and air travel down the tube to the valve, which drained it and allowed the lungs to slowly reinflate. It took a few minutes before his respirations returned to normal, and his pulse stabilized. They could see the color of his gums returning to a pink color. "OK, get going again."

They passed through Corvallis and could see the fire barrels in the town of Henderson when it all went bad. Travis started to seize, and a few seconds later he had stopped breathing. "PULL THE FUCK OVER," she yelled. Checking with her stethoscope, his heart had stopped. "We can't do CPR on this seat," she said, but Calvin was already there. Working together, they moved him to the pavement and laid him down. "How the hell do I do CPR on a dog?"

"Pretty much the same way," Calvin said. He rolled Travis onto his back, measured up six inches from the bottom of his sternum, and started compressions. They didn't worry about emergency breaths, not that anyone wanted to take his nose into their mouth, as the compressions would do enough. After two rounds, Calvin stopped and allowed Doc to check him out.

"No pulse, continue CPR," she said. The nurse took Calvin's place while Doc measured out a syringe with adrenaline. When the cycle was over, she took her best guess for the location of his heart and injected it.

With each passing minute, the realization came to each of them, but they didn't want to be the first to accept it. When Calvin took over, they could hear his broken ribs crunching and Doc finally had to make the call. Putting her bloody gloved hand on his, she waited until he looked at her and then she shook her head. "He's gone."

Calvin sat back and shifted, then raised a mournful howl to the heavens, then ran off into the darkness.

Doc and her nurse removed the chest tube and the bandages and cleaned the blood off him the best they could. Working together, they laid him in the back seat and got in. Candice was crying, and had to link her Alpha to get him to come back. He jumped in the back and sat on the floor, his head next to his dead friend, as the car pulled back onto the road.

The mood was somber when they arrived in Henderson. Candice parked outside the clinic, and many townsfolk and werewolves were waiting for them. Doc was still very upset; she had been second guessing herself the whole way home, vowing to learn wolf physiology so she could treat her new patients better. She was so upset as she rushed into the clinic, she barely glanced at the man who opened the door for her. She just pushed the inner doors open and ran to her office, needing privacy so no one would see her break down.

Alpha Carl was gobsmacked. Her scent had washed over him as she rushed by, but her eyes... he lost himself in her hazel eyes in that moment. His wolf rushed forward, MATE echoed in his mind. His wolf was whining in his head, mate was hurting and needed him. He watched as Travis was respectfully carried out of the car and wrapped in a sheet, then placed on a gurney. Calvin addressed the crowd, thanking them for coming out, and informing him they would be returning Travis to North Fork immediately for the funeral.

Carl shifted with the other wolves to send a howl to the heavens. When it was done, he followed the nurse into the clinic. Moving quickly in his wolf form, he tracked her to the offices in the back of the clinic. Reaching up with his teeth, he twisted the knob and pushed the door open. The room was saturated in her scent, and he moved around the desk until he had his head in her lap. She looked down at him, reflexively placing her hand on his head and then pulling it back when she felt tingles running up her arm. She put it back, relaxing into the comfort he could provide her as tears ran down her face.

Carl sat back when she stopped scratching his ears, his head cocked slightly and tongue out the side of his mouth. He watched as Doc Jenkins, he didn't even know her first name, closed her eyes and set her face. She opened them a few moments later and her face was emotionless and professional again. It wasn't the first time she had to lock away her emotions in order to do her job.

She stood up from her chair and her hand grazed his head as she walked by and stood by the door. "Come on, we've got work to do. Down the hall, last door on the left goes to the loading dock, you can find scrubs in there." He followed her out and she opened the door for him, he watched as she closed it behind him. Quickly shifting, he found the shelves and pulled on plain blue scrubs and a pair of flip flops. He went back through the hallway, following her scent through the treatment areas and back to the front. The place was empty; Beta Candice had arranged for evacuation of all those undergoing the change to the Salmon clinic earlier in the evening.

He found her in the front reception area, looking out the window as the morning sun started to rise behind the eastern mountains. She had her arms hugging herself, and didn't notice him at first, so he made sure to slap his shoes as he walked to her. He reached for her waist from behind, and she relaxed into his broad chest. "The tingles... I'm your mate, aren't I?"

"Yes," Carl said softly into her ear. "I knew the first time I looked into those beautiful eyes. You are my other half, the one I have been searching for. I don't even know your name, beautiful."

"Justine." She turned around in his arms and looked up at him. "And you?"

"Carl. Carl Johnson, formerly the Alpha of the Blue Mountain pack up near Missoula." He bent down slowly, his right hand moving up to cup her face, and he gently pressed his lips to hers. They both moaned as the tingles spread through their bodies, firing their libidos as it seemed to be connected to their groins. She opened her lips to him, and soon they were kissing deeply. She finally pushed him away, but he held their hips together as she looked at him in wonder.

"I'm not confident about these things." She looked down at his hands on her. "I've never... I never had time for relationships. I never had boyfriends, I couldn't take the time. I had to work my way through school, I ran up huge student loans in order to become a surgeon. Then when I went into practice I had to establish myself, and I worked every shift I could find. I thought I'd spend five more years trying to pay it all off, and then I'd think of dating. You are mated to a thirty-two-year old virgin." Her face flushed with embarrassment, and he cupped her face and gently kissed her.

He chuckled. "Me too, but I'm thirty five." She looked at him, then realized what he meant; werewolves did not have the ability to achieve erections until they found their mate, as sexual arousal was linked to them. "Bank loans are no longer an issue, wouldn't you say?"

They looked out at the town of Henderson, which had lost almost its entire population inside of a week. "I lost my entire Pack, and it was luck that I survived. If I hadn't been on patrol deep in the mountains, I would have died with them. I was ready to go with them, I thought I had nothing left; I was an Alpha without a pack, an Alpha who couldn't protect his people. Then Luna came to me in my dream, told me to come here, that I would find my future here." He pulled her into his chest. "I did. YOU are my future. Whatever else happens, I now have you and I will do anything to make you happy."

She leaned forward, her head rested on his shoulder as she was a good eight inches shorter than his six foot five frame. "Will you change me?" He looked down at her. "I'm not afraid of it; when werewolves first came out to the town, Donald cleared out my clinic, biting them all to give them a chance to live. I went with my patients to Salmon, to the clinic there, where I saw the process and how they train the new wolves. It was quite impressive."

"If you want this, I would be proud to change you." He looked outside again, the sun would be over the mountains soon. "But not here. We need rest, and privacy. I want you all to myself for a while."

She kissed him again. "I would like that." She pulled away, holding his hand she led him back into an office she had turned into her private bedroom. It wasn't much, the office desk had been removed and a spare mattress was on the floor; toiletries and extra clothes and scrubs were stacked on the shelves where books used to be.

"I want you to know I've learned a lot about werewolves in the last few days; I know about mates, I know about Packs, and I know about the change. I was always going to ask, but now that I have you I need it. I want you to change me, I want me to make you yours." She pulled off her scrub top, leaving a plain white bra and showing off her athletic figure. Pulling the tie on the bottoms, she let it drop as well. She watched the lust on his face before she moved to the bed, shyly covering herself in the thin sheet.

"I will change you, but I will do it when we wake up." Carl pulled his top off, she licked her lips as she ran her eyes over his well-formed chest and abs. "We will need to leave first thing in the morning for the gathering in Salmon. Last night, the last of the operating vehicles left with the humans who were going. The wolves, myself included, were planning to make a run at sundown to get there."

"What about the tractors?"

"Still up in Corvallis. They aren't fast, but they are good for searches and scavenging. They are going to continue the search for survivors in Missoula and the north valley. They will take care of the people they rescued, too." He had tugged off his pants while talking, a task made more difficult by the erection he was now sporting. After an entire lifetime without one, it was a novelty for the both of them. She held the sheet up and he slid in to the narrow bed. He laid on his side, his arms gathering her to him, as he kissed her face then moved down to her neck.

"I won't break skin yet, but your unmarked neck is an affront to my wolf side. He wants you marked so everyone knows you are mine." With that, he sucked and pressed his teeth to the junction of neck and shoulder, leaving indents in her skin.

"Can I?" She ran her hand down to his waist, he nodded so she took him in her hand. "I've had to deal with these in a medical sense, but never had one that was for me." Her hand explored him, gently caressing his cock and balls as he unsnapped her bra and went to work worshipping her breasts. Her moans became more insistent as her excitement rose; soon she was kicking her panties off and his hand was exploring her wet sex. "Take me... take me now."

So he did.

-

Eric looked around at the somber group that awaited them in Corvallis as they pulled in with the hay wagon full of survivors. Word had come back from Henderson that Travis hadn't made it.

The humans left in the town greeted the people and led them to the dining room, where a late meal had been prepared for them. After that, they would be given rooms and allowed to rest. Tomorrow would be soon enough to find out who they were, what they could do and what they needed. The leadership of the town had left earlier in the evening for Salmon, he found out. The gathering was to include werewolves and humans, so those in charge of the different groups- food, sanitation, power, and others- were going there to meet with their counterparts in the other Packs and cities. Also gone were all those who had been changed or were planning to change. The remaining people in the town were to scout the areas to the north for supplies and people, and continue work to make the town habitable in the long term.

partwolf
partwolf
2,297 Followers