Don't Look Like a Seal Pt. 03

Story Info
Scott's awake, a body found and breakfast turns into a chase.
25.9k words
4.82
20.8k
37

Part 3 of the 6 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 05/07/2019
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Thanks to Devir Ginator for editing and all his help with the story. It's been invaluable.

Thanks for reading, commenting and voting. Hope you all enjoy!

****

T. J. and I were standing the vending machines when we saw the trio exit the ICU. He had been complaining about his hand hurting so we had gone to grab him something to take his pain meds with. I was so taken with seeing Michelle without her glasses that I didn't notice the tears on Lissa's face but T. J. spotted them after he grabbed his soda.

"Something's wrong," He said worriedly.

We hurried over to them as they walked toward the chairs.

"What is it? What happened?" I asked Lissa.

"He's awake!" Lissa answered excitedly. "Scott woke up!"

T. J. shouted out and got shushed by the lady at the desk. He apologized then pulled Lissa into a hug.

"That's great news Lis!" He enthused then winked at Michelle. "Looks like your little trick worked!"

Michelle flushed slightly at the praise then and bumped my arm with hers.

"Hey, you," She greeted me. "I thought you'd be sleeping right now?"

"Hey yourself," I smiled. "I could say the same about you."

"You did put me through my paces with our swim this morning but I did manage a half decent amount of sleep last night," She said.

"I bored you right to sleep huh?" I joked.

"I don't know, maybe," She winked at me. "Vlad should make an appearance next time we watch a movie."

"Vlad only watches silent movies or Russian propaganda films. Talk about putting someone to sleep," I chuckled.

"He'd win any movie line bet on those films I suppose," She stated.

"I doubt it," I smiled at her.

"Silent... right," She smiled back. "He was anything but silent this morning."

"That's Vlad. He likes his movies silent but can't keep his mouth shut when he really should," I shared. "You uh... look nice by the way."

"You mean without the glasses and my hair tied up in pony tail?" She asked.

"No, I mean... I like the ponytail and the glasses," I answered.

"Really?" She asked.

"Well yeah. I've only ever seen you in them until now and you look great either way I guess I'm just used to seeing you in them is all," I answered.

"Kenny, if you're trying not to flirt with me you're failing miserably," She pointed out.

"Can you blame me? You looked in the mirror before coming here right?" I asked her.

"I did but..." She started to answer as her face flushed.

"If I'm making you uncomfortable just tell me and I'll try to curb my tongue," I told her.

"And keep your eyes to yourself?" She teased.

"Heck no but at least you won't have to listen to my commentary about it," I answered.

She paused and looked at me for a long moment.

"That was not the response I was expecting," She admitted.

"You were expecting me to lie and tell you that I wouldn't look at you again?" I asked with a grin.

"Sort of," She said. "I mean isn't that the normal response?"

"I thought we'd established that I'm not normal," I tried to joke.

"What we established is that you were creepy," She quipped back playfully.

Addison had been not so subtly listening in on the conversation and had to smile as she watched Michelle flirt. It was a very rare occurrence and she enjoyed seeing this side of her friend.

"Mr. Grayson, are you hitting on my friend?" Addison joined in.

"Trying not to, ma'am, but..." I started to answer but was cut off.

"Kenny, if you say I'm making it hard, I swear that I will drown you on our next swim," Michelle interrupted me.

"I wouldn't say anything that crude," I told her.

"After what happened this morning," She smiled. "I'm not so sure."

"I was going to say was that I have a thing for brainy blondes thank you very much," I stated.

"She's the brainy one for sure. I tell her all the time that she should wear her glasses like a badge of honor but she insists on putting in her contacts every morning," Addison shared.

"I plan to get eye surgery as soon as I'm hired on at the aquarium so lucky me," Michelle shared.

"That's too bad," I sighed. "I think I'll miss you in glasses."

"Maybe I'll save a pair to wear just for you," She assured me with a laugh.

"You know for two people who are just friends, you guys are flirting an awful lot," Addison pointed out.

Lissa nodded along with her and smiled at Michelle.

"Us flirt?" Michelle asked innocently.

"We don't do that," I said. "It wouldn't be professional."

"You're guarding my family not Michelle," Addison smiled. "Flirt away, Kenny."

I turned toward Michelle and smiled.

"Look who got permission to flirt," I said.

"Oh thanks a lot, Addison," Michelle sighed. "I get him trained and you show him a shiny new ball to play with."

"Hey, I'm not trainable," I argued.

"You can say that again," T. J. chimed in.

"Who invited you into this?" I countered.

"I saw an opportunity and jumped in," he laughed.

"Jumped in on what?" Ramon walked up to the group and asked.

"They're playing pile on me, Ramon, and no you cannot join in," I shared.

"Damn it and I'm good at that game too," Ramon responded.

"Did you get her number?" I asked in an attempt to switch the conversation.

"You think that while my teammate is in there fighting for his life I'm out getting some ladies number?" Ramon asked trying to sound shocked when I said nothing back and just stared for a moment he broke.

"Yes, I got her number," He confessed. "Of course I got her number. Scottie would be crushed if he knew his injuries stood in the path of true love."

"You can tell him that yourself," Lissa said. "He just woke up."

"He did? For real?" He asked and we all nodded. "That's great!"

"I'm sure he'll be pleased that you found... what did he call it T. J?" I asked.

"True love," T. J. added.

"That sounds awfully familiar to me, T. J.," I chuckled.

"Hey I'm serious guys," Ramon protested. "She could be the one."

"The one," T. J. shook his head. "Oh no, Grayson, are you hearing this?"

"Yes and that sounds even more familiar," I answered then noticed the ladies are looking at the three of us very confused. "Sorry, ladies, you see Ramon finds the one about every other day or at least he used to."

"Yeah, he still does," T. J. said. "We could be in a firefight and off goes Ramon to find the one... of the hour."

"That's not true," Ramon argued. "I never left you guys during a firefight."

"The mansion in South America," I told him.

He stared off for a second then started to shake his head so I added.

"The other one," I said because I knew Ramon had conjured up the wrong place. "The one with that fountain in it's courtyard."

"No. No way you know about that," He sputtered when he got the right one.

"I was at your four o'clock when the place lit up," I grinned at him.

"He left us then?" T. J. asked.

"Ask Ramon," I chuckled then nodded at Ramon. "It was the... housekeeper, right?"

Ramon shook his head as T. J. started laughing but then he paused and eyeballed Ramon.

"Wait," He said. "Didn't I get shot that time?"

"No, you got shot about a month later," Ramon said quickly. "That was your own fault anyway."

"My fault? Did he just say that it was my fault that I got shot?" T. J. asked. "How is it my fault for getting shot?"

"You stood next to him in a firefight," Ramon said and pointed at me.

"Guys, cool it, the doctor's coming," I told them thankful for the reprieve.

We all stood as she walked up.

"I have good news for all of you," the doctor started. "Mr. Brannock has passed all my tests this morning. I'm going to keep a close eye on his vitals but right now everything seems on track for a full recovery."

Another loud whoop from T. J. got him another dirty look by the attendant but he flashed her this dazzling smile. She blushed slightly and made a shushing motion but with a smile of her own.

"Learn that from Alex," I whispered to him and he nudged me as the doctor continued.

"He's ready for visitors but let's keep it to two at a time please," She told us.

"Yes Doctor and thank you so much," Lissa said as she shook the doctors hand.

"Do you want to come with me first?" She asked as she turned and looked at Michelle.

"You and Addison go ahead," Michelle told her. "Kenny will take me back in a few."

"Are you... are you sure?" Lissa asked confused.

"Yes I'm sure now go see your sailor man," Michelle encouraged her.

Lissa glanced over at Addison and not so subtly nodded toward Michelle who shook her head.

"I'll explain in sec," Addison answered while Michelle shook her head.

"Someone should call Alex and let him know," T. J. said.

"He's your boss now, Ken," Ramon chuckled. "You should be the one to call him."

"Afraid you're lady will come by and you'll miss seeing her?" I joked.

"I'm afraid that if she sees your ugly face she'll head in the opposite direction," He quipped back.

"I'll call Alex and let him know," I sighed.

"I'll walk with you," Michelle chimed in. "Wouldn't want you to get lost or anything."

"You've heard about his poor sense of direction already huh, Michelle?" T.J. asked.

"He lead us in a circle for two hours in the snowstorm," Ramon called out.

"That was a blizzard and why were you following me anyway? I fell into a frozen lake," I complained.

"Twice," T. J. laughed. "You should have seen him, Michelle. He came out of that lake looking like a drowned cat. Blue from head to toe, even his little..."

"All right, that's enough of that tale," I interrupted him. "There's no need to embellish the story. Why I still call you guys my friends is beyond me."

"Come on, Kenny," Michelle said. "Let's go make that call before T. J. starts telling any more embarrassing stories about you. He'll save those to tell me later on. Won't you, T. J.?"

"You can count on it, Michelle," He smiled. "Wait until I tell you about the time we were in this hotel in Nevada of all places and Grayson here..."

"No," Ramon interrupted. "Tell her about that time in Pakistan and that camel that..."

"I'm going to call Alex now and see if he can get you two yo-yo's back on a plane out of here," I jumped in.

"And I'll come with you and make sure you don't fall into any lakes on the way there. That and I need to hear this camel story," Michelle joked which cracked up T. J. and Ramon.

"She's quick, Ken. I like her," T. J. shared.

"Sorry, T. J., I'm already spoken for but I will be available for those stories later," Michelle told him as she looped her arm in mine and pulled me toward the hallway.

As we walked away I could hear Ramon talking to T. J.

"I didn't know they were together either, but damn man look at her! Ken would be crazy not to grab onto her and hold on tight. She's blonde too and you know how he is with blondes," He said in his always too loud voice.

****

Once the doors closed behind us Michelle let go of my arm and stepped away from me.

"Sorry about that but I couldn't let them have all the fun teasing you could I?" She asked.

"I'm going to have to find a new swim buddy," I shook my head.

"Fine but don't think that you can come limping back to me when that Great White sneaks up and bites your leg off," she responded.

We walked a few feet while I pretended to think about her statement.

"That would be bad," I finally said. "I guess that I'm stuck with you then."

"Oh like being stuck with me is a bad thing! I mean I hear you like blondes," She said and swished her ponytail before she laughed.

"You can't believe everything those guys tell you," I told her.

"So it's not true then?" She asked.

"I didn't say that," I answered.

"So it is true?" She teased.

"I didn't say that either," I teased back.

She gave me a sidelong glare for a moment as we stepped out of the hospital.

"It seems that you don't say an awful lot, Kenny," She said as I punched Alex's number into my phone.

I shrug then as he answered she swatted me on my arm.

"Ouch," I said as he answered.

"Did you just say ouch?" He asked as I rubbed my arm while Michelle raised her eyebrows at me.

"Yes, I'm being abused here at the hospital," I told him.

"Perfect place for it," He said. "You can get treated."

"You're level of compassion is overwhelming Alex, honestly I think I might be tearing up here," I told him.

Beside me, Michelle giggled while Alex sighed.

"Are you calling for any reason in particular or are you just looking for pity?" He asked.

"Pity," I answered. "I take it that you heard about what happened here today?"

"I've been getting regular updates," He answered. "How is T. J. doing?"

"He's fine," I answered. "I'm calling because Scott's woke up."

"What?" He asked. "That's great news!"

"He apparently responded well to someone's suggested treatment," I said and gave Michelle a wink.

"Damn, I wish I could head over there now but I've got a mountain of paperwork in front me right now. I'll swing by there as soon as I wrap all this up," He informed me.

"The perils of being an owner, huh?" I commented. "Scott would like to see you whenever you get the chance."

"How is he feeling?" Alex asked.

"I haven't been back to talk with him yet. Lissa and Addison went back to see him first of course. I'm outside with Michelle," I shared then almost immediately regretted it.

"So it is Michelle then huh?" He chuckled. "I knew it started with an M."

"Yeah, you're a genius," I complimented him sarcastically. "Anyway, we're heading back in to wait our turn to see him."

"All right, tell Scott I'm glad he's up and that I'll be by there soon. Oh and Grayson please don't forget to get a suit for tomorrow night," He reminded me.

"I've got a suit all right," I assured him.

"A nice suit," He amended. "One that doesn't make you look like a waiter?"

"Would you calm down," I said. "It's being handled all right? I'll talk with you later."

As I hung up the phone he repeated himself about the nice and I just shook my head.

"I've got to find a suit somewhere," I muttered to Michelle.

"Not one for dressing up, huh?" She laughed then shook her head at me. "When we're done here I know a place I can take you to get one."

"Michelle, you don't have to do that," I assured her. "I can find a place."

"One that won't make you look like a waiter?" She teased. "You just don't want to go shopping with a girl."

"That's not it," I said. "I could some be kind of maniac psycho killer as far as you know."

"Are you?" She countered.

"Am I what?" I asked.

"A maniac psycho killer with a love for older movies and a poor sense of direction," She giggled.

"Well no," I answered. "To the first part I mean."

"What about Vlad? Is he a maniac psycho killer?" She asked.

"Nothing that could ever be proven," I chuckled.

"Then it's settled. After we see Scott, I'll take you to find a suit so you aren't stuck parking cars at Mrs. Voss' party tomorrow. And don't argue with me, Kenny, you won't win," She stated emphatically.

"Are you sure you wouldn't rather hang around with Ramon and T. J. and hear all the lies they have to tell about me?" I asked her.

"Lies, huh? Do you honestly think your friends would lie about you and a camel?" She challenged me.

"I'm not going to get out of telling you that story, am I?" I asked.

"Nope and I will warn you that I have a knack for telling when someone lies to me," She said.

"You do huh?"

"I sure do and don't you forget it," She said as she pointed her finger at me.

"Remind me not to play poker then if that's the case," I smiled.

"I'd take it easy on you first," She grinned "Then once you got all comfy, I'd beat the pants off you."

"And you say that I was being too flirty," I laughed.

"It's an expression, Kenny. It's not like I'm imagining beating your pants off you literally," She shook her head.

"Not even a little bit?" I teased.

"Something tells me that I should have ran in the other direction rather than talk to you the other morning," She sighed.

"And lose out on a movie watching companion and a swim buddy? You wouldn't do that, would you?" I asked.

"Maybe, I'm still debating so watch yourself, mister," She warned me playfully.

"I'll try to be on my best behavior from now on," I told her.

"See that you are, Mr. Grayson," She told me as I opened the door for her. "Good things come to good people."

I nodded then watched her shapely rear was she passed me and hoped she was right.

****

"There he is," Scott called out weakly as Michelle and I entered his room. "Hey and Michelle too. Hey, cutie."

"Scott, I've told you before that you can't just go around calling me that in front of people. They'll get the wrong idea," I told him.

"Two years didn't make you any less of a smartass I see," He commented then looked at Michelle. Don't mind him, Michelle, he's got delusions of grandeur."

"I've only known him for a couple of days and I had that figured out already," She answered straight faced.

"And to think, I was going to buy you an ice cream after you took me shopping," I said to her.

"Ice cream? I take it all back, Scott. Kenny is an awesome guy and how dare you say otherwise," She said and caused Scott to laugh so much he started to cough.

"Oh, don't make me laugh too hard, Michelle," He winced as he grabbed at his chest.

"Oh my god, Scott. I'm so sorry," She apologized quickly. "Do I need to get the nurse for you?"

She reached for the call button but he reached over and stopped her.

"I'm okay, Michelle," He assured her. "Just let me hit the morphine button and I'll be good."

The machine beside the bed beeped once as it delivered pain killer into his tube.

"Good as new," He sighed. "Well almost new. I just wasn't expecting you to be so funny so soon, sweetie."

"I didn't mean to be, Scott," She said while she worriedly looked him over.

"It's really fine," He assured her. "Seeing you and Ken together was a little bit of a shock. You two sound like a pair of old friends."

"You calling me old, Scottie?" I teased him.

"Not in this condition I'm not," He smiled. "How'd you get here Kenny? You're the last person I thought I'd see when I woke up."

"Alex came and found me believe it or not. He can fill you on the how if that matters to you. I owe you so I'm here simple as that," I told him.

"More than one but who keeps count right?" He joked.

"I know exactly how many I owe you, Scottie," I told him. "It'll take a lifetime or two to pay them all back."

"He sometimes forgets how many times he's saved my bacon," He said to Michelle. "We're a hell of a lot closer to even than he lets on."

"I'm sure neither of you really think you'll ever truly be even no matter what you do," Michelle said to us.

"Sounds like she knows a little bit about us, Ken," Scott smiled at me.

"You I know," She said as she pointed at Scott then jerked her thumb toward me. "Him, I'm still learning about but I'm cautiously optimistic."

"Cautiously optimistic," Scott repeated with a grin. "She's got the right idea about you, Ken."

"Says the guy that took on, what, four on one odds?" I asked him.

"More like five to one and it wasn't what you would have done," He stated. "I couldn't risk an explosion that close to Lis."

"Well this shooting didn't improve your ability to make jokes," I frowned.

"I thought it was pretty funny," Michelle stated.

"You guys exaggerate about me and explosions," I complained after I gave her a look. "It wasn't that many."

"That barn in Columbia, that ship in Mogadishu, the car in Iraq, the other car in Afghanistan, that house in... where was that house again?" He asked.

"The house was in Chechnya but that barn in Columbia was all Alex. He claims it was the timers on the C4 but I'm still not convinced he wasn't trying to off me," I stated. "He never apologized to me for that by the way."

123456...8