Doors

Story Info
A man tells of his life with his wife.
786 words
4.62
29.6k
10
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
E.Z.Riter
E.Z.Riter
588 Followers

Hi, Dear Reader, This one is short and sweet. A little romance. Thanks to Gail and Ruthie for editing. And please comment and vote. Thanks. E. Z.

*

I opened the door to find Carla at thirteen. Big blue eyes with long lashes. Overpowering eyes. Gangly, coltish, flat chested, and hipless. Long, straight brown hair. Lips of brown from a Fudgcicle she sucked innocently.

"I'm Carla. You're Bill, Bessie's grandson who lives here now. You're twenty-six and working on your Master's in English at the University. You're a writer, too, but you've never published anything. You're single and you don't have a girlfriend. See. I know all about you. Can I come in?" She bounced by me to spend the first of countless delightful hours.

Creaking, the rusted hinges on the door of my heart began to open.

Carla at fourteen slammed the door behind her. Angry eyes, perturbed expression. Sweatshirt hiding budding breasts. Shorts revealing long legs starting to ripen. Brown hair, slightly curled, to her shoulders.

"I hate boys."

"Why?"

Hands on hips, eyes flashing. "They all want to play with me. Do I look like a toy to you? Well, Bill, do I?"

How do you talk about love, about sex, to a beautiful young woman starting to blossom? How do you talk about those things you desperately want to share with her?

Carla at sixteen closed the door softly behind her. She sat on the couch. Blue eyes sensual. Brown hair streaked with red-blonde sunlight. Shapely leg tucked under her. Breasts moved rhythmically as if an offer given only to be withdrawn.

"How's Jane?"

"We broke up."

"Of course. She wasn't the woman for you. I could've told you that. Do you have a new girlfriend?"

"No."

"I don't have a boyfriend." Brow furrowed waiting for me to speak. She leaned forward hesitantly. "I want to be your girlfriend, Bill."

"Carla, I love you," rushed from me.

She flew onto my lap. Arms around my neck. Lips hot against mine. "I love you, too. I want to make love to you, Bill. I want you now."

Insane for a man of twenty-nine to take a girl of sixteen? Yes. Insanely in love.

I opened the door to Carla at nineteen. Red eyes swollen with tears and guilt. Face puffy. Shoulders slumped.

"What's wrong?" I asked apprehensively.

"I... oh, God, Bill. I..."

She slumped to the floor. Sobs ripped the air as she rocked, cradling herself in her arms. Voice tortured.

"I cheated on you. Please, Bill, can you forgive me?"

The doors of my heart opened wider, telling me this woman, with all her faults, held the key.

The doors at the back of the church opened. The organ played and Carla entered. Veiled, all in white. Radiant at the altar. Tears of joy slipped down my face. Her love enveloped me.

I opened the front door to find Carla at twenty-nine on the floor, pregnant belly resting on her crossed legs, our three children piled around her.

"Daddy's home!" a small voice squealed.

Carla smiled up at me and the weight of the world evaporated. "I'm glad you're home. I don't think I can get up."

"Not with three kids sitting on you anyway."

"Oh, Bill, aren't they wonderful. And it won't be too long until there's another one."

I stood behind her as Carla at forty opened the front door. Our daughter was there. Beaming, shining. A reflection of her mother. A young man at her side. "Mom. Dad. This is Jason."

In front of the church, I opened the car door for Carla at forty-two. "I can't believe I'm the mother of the bride. Good Lord, I'm not that old. How do I look?"

"Ravishing. Magnificent. More beautiful than ever."

Lips warm and loving against mine. Eyes twinkled. "I shouldn't have asked you. You're too much in love to give an honest opinion."

I gave my eldest away. Her two sisters were bridesmaids. Her brother was a groomsman.

Carla at fifty opened the door.

"Merry Christmas," they shouted.

Giggles. Laughter. Little feet quick and light. Little hands seeking mine. Little kisses wet and tender. Christmas. Gathering of the clan rocked the old house, overflowing it with love.

I threw open the doors to the emergency room. Terror filled my heart.

"I'm Bill Brown. Car wreck. My wife."

"I'm sorry. We tried, but..."

I sat by her grave as the minister spoke. Sunlight beamed down. Our children and grandchildren surrounded me.

The doors to my heart slowly closed.

Not in anguish or fear, but to hold safe the most precious thing I have.

Memories of Carla.

The End

*

Come on now. Give us a vote and a comment. Please.

E.Z.Riter
E.Z.Riter
588 Followers