Down on the Farm Ch. 05

Story Info
A business offer and events following.
5k words
4.74
39.7k
4

Part 5 of the 7 part series

Updated 10/20/2022
Created 02/22/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I couldn't sleep any more. Figured I'd help."

"Thanks, I can use the help. These old bones aren't what they used to be."

We worked together in silence for a while. I put the milking machines together and got the feed down while Edith moved them into the barn and cleaned their udders. With the cows in the stalls, we placed the cups on their teats. We both had been doing this work for a while when Edith asked, "What are you two's plans? Have you got that far?'

"We are not sure yet. I need to finish up this college year and get my degree. Trish might want to go to college."

"Smart move for you, but Trish really does not want college. She wants to have babies."

I looked at Edith, over the rump of a cow, "Do you know that for certain or is it because you want grand kids?"

"Both. Trish is not a real good student but she certainly loves children. I don't believe college life would suit her. A home and family would certainly tickle her pink. Of course, I would also like to have some grand kids, too." She continued, "So what are your personal plans going to be? How much thought have you put into this?"

"Edith, I really am not too certain. Once I get my degree, I will be looking for a job but there are no aspirations. Support for Trish will be my first concern." Something clicked in my mind. She certainly didn't ask these questions unless she was leading somewhere. "Okay, what do you have on our mind? Let's hear your idea."

She finished placing a milking machine and stood up, turning in my direction. "You're learning to read me, aren't you? Well, you know that ever since Bud's death, I have been thinking about what to do with the milking operation. With you around we have been able to maintain things which would give me time to consider all the options. Lately I have been strongly considering selling the business and also selling the farm. There are two considerations, who would want to buy the place and the business, and where would I and the girls live once it was sold. This farm is the only life that they have ever known. Moving to town doesn't sound too pleasing to me but it looks like we need to look for a buyer. With you and Trish planning on getting married, there is no way possible that the girls and I could keep things going."

"Hold on a second." I said. I quickly stooped down to position one of the machines on the cow nearest me. I knew what she was going to say and I needed to think this over. As I stood back up, I asked, "So who are you thinking about to purchase the dairy and farm?" I already knew but wanted her to say it.

"You and Trish."

Yup, my guess was right. "Go on. What are the details?"

"We could draw up a contract where the two of you could keep the business intact, live here on the farm, raise a family and I would receive a source of steady income to allow the girls and I to move into town."

Again, I was reading her like a book. This was exactly what I suspected . "It won't work, there are two things wrong with that idea." Purposely I stopped speaking. I wanted her to question me. I removed the milking machine and moved to the next, looking like I was busy.

"What two things?" she asked.

"There is no way on God's green earth that I would kick my new in-laws out into the street." I made like I was busy again and waited for her to ask the second reason.

"And the second reason?"

Inwardly I smiled, she was right on queue. "I couldn't handle it. I don't know the business. I know the work, but not the business aspect of it. So your idea falls apart and I don't think it would work." I had a counter proposition and wanted to see if she would guess or if she had another plan in mind. I waited while letting out several of the cows and letting others into the stalls. She remained silent while working. I could almost hear her thinking, but she stayed completely quiet. Ten minutes passed with no further conversation and I sensed an air of disappointment.

Finally I added, "At least the idea will not work, the way you mentioned."

Her movements in surprise startled the cow and she took a moment to calm her down. "And, so what idea do you have?"

She was looking right at me and I was grinning. "You are a little slow on the uptake, aren't you? I have been ahead of you for this whole conversation."

She raised an eyebrow. "Okay spit it out, kid." She said good naturedly.

I was savoring this moment as long as I could. "You and the girls would not be happy moving away from here. You love it too much. I don't have a 'business mind' like you have. So my proposal would be this... you sell to Trish and me the farm and dairy. You and the girls stay in the house, Trish and I could fix up the basement and live there..."

"I do not like that arrangement." She interrupted.

"I am not finished." I wagged my finger at her. She remained silent and waited. "I am not very good with the business end, so I could hire you either as a business manager, or have you as a full partner. Us living in the basement would only be temporary, we would build our own house over there." I pointed in a general direction beside the existing house. "You would be closer to your grand kids, anyway."

Her eyes lit up on that last comment. "That sounds like a workable plan."

"One more thing, I need to talk to Trish about this business deal. I wouldn't want to do anything without her being in complete agreement."

For the remainder of the morning we pretty much worked in silence, each one in our thoughts. The cows were milked and the two of us worked at cleaning the equipment and sterilizing it when, without warning, Becky and Sam came bursting into the milk house. "Mother, Trish is wearing a......" They stopped when they saw me working beside their mom. Then catching their breath, "...a ring."

Edith looked over at me and rolled her eyes. She pointed with her eyes towards the girls to let me know that I was now on trial with them. I took my hands out of the water, drying them off and turned to face the girls.

Becky questioned "I thought I was your girlfriend?"

"You are," I answered. "And so is Sam."

"But you gave Trish a ring. How can we be your girlfriends when she is wearing a ring?"

"I cannot marry all three of you, can I? I can only choose one. Besides, I like the idea of having two new sisters and each of you would have me for a brother."

Becky and Sam looked at each other, not too sure of that arrangement.

"Come here you two." I held out my arms. They came closer and I hugged them dearly. You two can always be my girlfriends, it's that Trish and I want to get married. But you two will always be special. Always. Okay?"

"Yeah, I guess so." Said Sam as she squeezed me.

I bent down and gave them both a kiss on the cheek. "You two head back to the house and get breakfast ready. I'm famished."

They both latched on to my arms and began pulling me with them. Edith saw this and said, "All three of you go get breakfast ready. I will be along in a few minutes."

The two of them half pulled me towards the house and I resisted only slightly. Once inside, I kicked off my dirty shoes and slipped out of the coat. "You two get breakfast on the table, I need to clean up." I was turning to head downstairs when Trish showed up in the hall. Her hair was a mess, her robe was hanging crooked, she looked like she had not slept much, but I sure thought she looked beautiful. Becky and Sam were watching us.

"I see that you didn't sleep much." She said.

"Couldn't, there was too much on my mind so I got up and helped your mom. Looks like you didn't sleep much either."

"Too excited, I guess." And she grinned from ear to ear with her dimples showing.

"Let me get cleaned up. I will be back in a couple minutes. Your mom will be coming in soon. And you two," looking at Becky and Sam, "better get the food cooked and table ready." Turning my eyes back to Trish, "I need to discuss something with you and see what you think. Get dressed and let me get cleaned up, then we can talk." I headed down to the basement and washed up and changing out of my smelly clothes. Edith was entering the house as I climbed the stairs. I walked over to Trish and put my arms around her. She snuggled in close. Sam and Becky were watching. 'No privacy for us' I thought.

"What did you want to talk about?" Trish asked.

Edith showed up then and we all sat at the table. I was doing the talking and everyone else listened. First I re-iterated the plan that Edith had offered earlier this morning. I was talking between bites and everyone else ate in silence, watching me.

As I finished, Sam turned to her Edith, "Mom we don't want to move to town. We want to stay here with Mark and Trish."

My eyes were really on Trish and what I saw was a question mark. She wasn't sure of it either.

"Are you going to leave them hanging?" said Edith. "Tell them the rest."

"I turned her offer down. Flat."

The look on Trish's face turned into a 'why?' "I suggested an alternative." Slowly I explained the details and how everyone could remain on the farm.

"Really?" asked Becky. "We get to stay here with you?"

Trish looked at me, asking, "We'd have our own house?"

Edith spoke. "Hold on everyone. I haven't agreed to accept Mark's proposal. There is a condition to be met before I'll make any agreement."

I knew what she was going to say, but simply held my tongue. She looked at both me and Trish. "Before I can accept, I need to know that there will be some grandchildren from this arrangement."

Trish turned a bright red while I grin. I placed my hand on her arm and moved it into her hand. She grasped it tightly.

"Well," asked Edith. "Is there an agreement here?"

Trish looked into my eyes and I nodded ever so slightly. There was an 'ok' look in her face before she dropped her eyes to the table.

"There is an agreement here." I answered. Trish squeezed my hand tighter at the same time that Becky began screaming with delight. Breakfast was quickly forgotten as Trish moved from her chair and sat in my lap.

"So when are you two getting married?" Sam asked.

"We haven't set a date yet. I only asked her yesterday."

Both of the younger girls moved closer to Trish and began to pester her about setting a date. Edith quickly stopped that. "Girls, leave them alone for a while. Pick up the table and wash the dishes. NOW!" Turning to us, "Go on you two, get out of here. You have a lot to talk about."

I grabbed her hand and the two of us were out the door, jumped into my car and headed down the road. The car seemed to head back to the park we had been to yesterday. We got out and walked hand in hand over to the pond and sat on one of the benches.

"The last couple of days have been full, haven't they?" she commented to me.

"Yeah, and your mom is correct when she said that we have a lot to talk about. I guess my question is whether you are completely 'okay' with the business deal with your mother? If you are not, we can back out or have it changed. I really did not mean to propose something without first talking to you. It's that your mom presented her suggestion first and I saw some problems with it, so I made a counter proposal. What do you think about it?"

"I think it is a great idea. I like it."

"Do you really want to be a farmer's wife? You know the hard work and pain that goes with it. There are the long hours, and we'd be tied to the dairy. Is that what you want? What about a college degree for you? This proposition does not leave any room for that."

She was quiet. "Mark, my question is this, what you want to do? Is this the kind of work you want to support a family? Cause I'm willing to forget about college, I'm okay with letting that go. I want to be with you, I want to make you happy."

"You'd put up with a smelly ol' dairy farmer?"

"If it's you, yes. And actually, I think you 'stink' nice." She teased.

"Are you telling me that you really want a home of your own, and kids of your own? You want to be a homemaker and a mother?"

Looking right at me she said, "Do you want children? We have not talked about kids. I DO want children, but only if you do too."

"I believe your mother has sealed that issue. She wants grandchildren and I am overjoyed with that idea. Most of all, I want you to be the happiest wife in the world. Speaking of being a wife, when do you want to get married?"

"Yesterday."

"That's not possible. What's your next suggestion?"

"The sooner the better."

"We could always elope." I tease. "Really I want to complete my college degree this coming May, and I definitely want you to graduate from high school. That would mean a June or July wedding. Your thoughts?"

"I wish it could be sooner, but that is probably the best."

"Trish?"

"Yeah," she smiled.

"Who do you want to walk you down the aisle?"

In a flash the smile left her face. Her father was gone would miss the most exciting day of her life. After a minute she whispered, "Uncle Peter, I guess."

We continued talking about our future; plans for the wedding, plans for our home, plans for a family, and plans for the dairy farm. It was getting towards noon when we stood up and walked back to the car. "I don't want to go home yet." She mentioned.

"No problem, let's get something to eat and then go to the mall."

We ate a quick lunch at McDonalds and headed out to the mall. We had no particular plans and simply found ourselves walking through stores, talking. At times we simply held hands, other times our arms were around each other. I gave her a quick squeeze and she smiled. Man, she was beautiful. I bought her a new dress and a sweater and she changed into them and we continued walking.

It was late afternoon when we returned home and Edith came in from chores. "You going to share with the rest of us what you're planning?"

"We eloped." Trish said with a straight face.

The look on Edith's face was priceless; then she shouted, "PATRICIA LYNN!"

"I'm sorry mom. I didn't mean to upset you. It was a joke." Trish said.

Edith backed up against the kitchen counter and gave Trish a dirty look.

"That is not a joking matter, Trish. Don't do it again."

Trish stepped forward and wrapped her arms around her mom. "I'm sorry mom."

Looking over Trish's shoulder, Edith asked again, "So what are you two planning?"

"A wedding in June or July, then give you about 8 grandkids as fast as we can." I answer.

Trish burst out laughing and Edith only said, "Oh you two."

Sam and Becky came in from outside so we sit down. The small kitchen table was crowded as Trish and I held the family conference. We mentioned our decision for a wedding in June or July and running the dairy.

"July would be better." Sam interjects.

"Why July?" her mom asks.

"So Mark won't be switching teams."

"Huh?"

"You know. The married and unmarried ball game for the 4th."

"Let Mark and Trish decide when. Don't use this rivalry to be making plans."

"Do you know of a good lawyer to work with the business part?" I ask Edith.

"That's a good thought. Bud and I have a family lawyer who can either help us or direct to someone who can."

We talked together for a while longer before we stopped for supper.

Christmas was three weeks off and holiday season festivities were in the air. I helped decorate their tree and string lights. Their church had several events scheduled and Trish made certain I went to them all. Church had not been important in my life and there was always some reason which kept me from going regularly. Up to this point, I had attended maybe half the Sunday services. Trish encouraged me to be more regular, but I did not see the importance.

The Sunday right before Christmas, Trish was working with me doing the morning chores. She wanted to go to services however I was thinking about staying home to work on the milk compressor, which had stopped working. I was kneeling beside this unruly piece of equipment, removing the cover and pulling the belt off. Trish came up behind me and placed her hand in the middle of my back. "You're not going are you?"

I looked into her questioning face and could see disappointment. "We won't be able to milk this afternoon unless this is running." I gently protest.

She doesn't say anything and turns to walk away. I am frustrated, I know she wants me to go to services and I also know that milking cannot be done with out this compressor.

"Trish." I say. She stops but doesn't look at me.

"Trish." I say again. She turns and watches me.

"Darling, what's so important about church?"

Walking back towards me, she sits on top of the tool box, after closing the lid. "Church by itself is not what's important." She starts. "It's the God we worship, He is important." As I don't say anything, she continues, "I worship God and one way I do that is by going to church."

Not feeling comfortable with the direction this conversation is going, I ask, "So what about Christmas? Why is that important?"

Waiting a moment before answering, she replies, "Why do you want to marry me?"

"Because I love you. I want to be with you."

"We celebrate Christmas, because that is when God, came to earth as a man. He loves us and wants to be with us."

For some reason, this entire discussion is unnerving to me and I don't know why.

Trish had been watching me, now says, "You are very uncomfortable, aren't you?"

My attention is fully wide awake and I wonder how she knows. "Yeah I am."

"Okay," and she stands up and acts as though to walk out the door.

"Patricia?" I take a deep sigh and say, "Let's go to church. Together."

She smiles broadly and her dimples are very prominent. Perhaps I can get the compressor fixed after we get back from church. This is important to her, and I want to know why.

The shower is taken quickly, clothes are changed, and together we go to church. The service had started and congregation is larger than I had seen before, so we slipped into a couple seats near one side. The music from the choir reflects the Christmas season and someone sings a solo.

The Pastor gave his message next and the topic surprised me. Normally, I would think, he would speak about the shepherds, the manger, the Wise Men, and baby Jesus. Instead of the birth of the Christ Child, he spoke about the death of Jesus. That's odd, I thought. Before, when I had heard him speak, it was easy to follow the topic he had chosen, and today was no different. The main point of his sermon was that Jesus had to be born, so that he could die. A question that came to my mine as he spoke, was 'Why would God want to die?' That did not make sense to me. Sitting there, I could vaguely remember the church my parents to me to as a child. They had talked about Jesus being 'love' and we were supposed to love everyone. The two ideas did not match, they did not make sense.

The service was over after a hymn had been sung and everyone moved towards the doors. Holding Trish's hand I lead her through the crowd towards the Pastor as he shakes hands of everyone and bids them a Merry Christmas. Folks are busy talking to others as the line moves forward. Trish is in front and shakes his hand first, when he spies the ring on her left hand. Before he could say anything I ask, "Why did God want to die? I thought Jesus was love."

Without missing a beat, he replies, "That's a good question. How about I stop by for a visit tomorrow afternoon?"

"We'll be milking. If we can talk over the rumps of the cows, you're welcome to come."

"I'll be there." He says. "Merry Christmas."

Trish has stopped to talk to some friends and I move on out the door. Joe is standing there and greets me with a 'Merry Christmas'. "Say," he says, "What's this ugly rumor that you and Trish are getting married?"

I admit that it is not a rumor and we are planning a wedding for this summer.

12