Dragon (S)Layers Ch. 36

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Held light?" Sarah looked at the man, trying to put his features together in the slight blur her vision had become. "I don't-"

"They were dark. Very dark, light wouldn't touch them, he said."

"Oh- oh dear." Sarah tensed. "T- Then you've serious problems!" She looked to the taller man, voice wavering slightly in the sudden realization that there was no way she could get out of this situation without exposing herself to serious amounts of unnecessary risk on either side. Knowing better than to burn bridges she'd not yet crossed, the cleric relaxed her shoulders and spoke in a somber tone: "she's an assassin. . . .one of the better ones to come from the west, I believe."

No one spoke.

"Reach into my left pocket here, you'll find a set of cards. No, in my coat- there." As the guard turned them around Sarah continued, "I personally witnessed her murder several retainers and mercenaries in Sorash to get to a nobleman- all at once, mind you!"

"Sir-" the guard handed the cards to the lanky man. "This one has Baccus's name on it."

"And the other my own, may I add."

As the lanky man studied the cards he motioned Sarah to continue.

"I can only imagine what reason she would have to come looking for yourself or your companions! She seems to be hunting nobility. I dare say myself more than-"

"Don't insult my intelligence, elf. Your nobility is about as real as the tears I'm going to shed when I turn you over to a whorehouse—"

"Now see here!"

"Five seconds. Spend them wisely." He tossed the cards on the desk beside her glasses.

There was a split second where Sarah entertained the idea of atrophying her guards and taking her chances at getting back to her friends. Instead, she applied the tool she was much more comfortable with; her tongue. "If she came to you looking for me, she knows where your friends are. She's also been killing very high profile individuals as of late, suggesting she's building a reputation of some sort, I believe!"

"I don't see how that's going to help you-"

"Consider what would happen if someone wanting to make a reputation for themselves would do to flush out powerful targets! Surely a man such as yourself is not well known to any but the most secretive of sorts-"

"Time's up."

The guards started to pull on her.

Sarah flailed. "She's not after you but she'll expose you by virtue of her association with the mayor's murder!" She pushed against the men feebly, already knowing it would do no good. "The city militia patrolling the streets and the locals aren't going to give up until they find out who killed their favorite figureheads!"

The lanky man picked up her glasses as the guards dragged Sarah towards the door. Before the opened it, she gave one final pull, trying to wrench herself free of their grip.

"She's after me! I'm much more useful as leverage than anything else!"

"Stop," the older man said. "I was just thinking, a very good idea crossed my mind. Why do I not tie you up in the middle of the square and invite her to play, hm?"

"Posh! What if instead I was to coax out the goodness in our resident sheriff to rally the militia and Sorash's own! I am sure I can convince them to focus on the real target of their search rather than combing the village and the surroundings, potentially stumbling upon anything they should not!"

"Mmm. . . .and I suppose you want to go free after that."

"We've not had any disagreements thus far, have we?" She tried for a smile but there was no heart in it. "I don't dabble in another person's business, least of all when it's not interfering with mine. I suspect you're as professional, so let's not pretend otherwise! Good for the goose and gander and all-"

He held up a hand. "You westerners talk too much. This is what will happen: do as you've said, bring me her head or have her run out by dawn with the soldiers."

Sarah started to relax. "I'm sure that's doable, given a couple of days!" Days she'd spend disappearing, of course.

"By dawn."

"B- By- are you mad?! She's a-" the guard wrenched her arm painfully in its socket. "Ah, ah, ah, now now, let's not be hasty!"

"I said dawn."

Sarah winced. "I dare say that's a fantastically tall order, I've spent a great deal of time learning how to properly spend an evening, but I don't thin-"

"There's always the whorehouse," he said indifferently. "Take-"

"Okay! I'll get started immediately!" She licked her lips. "But mayhap you'd be so kind as to return my effects, I'll need those cards to make my case!"

In a couple strides the man was in front of her once more. He set her glasses on her nose and gently brushed her bangs from her face, trailing an icy finger down her cheek to cup her chin. He smiled thinly. "You're going to make me a lot of money, little Sarah Elenren. . ." he patted her cheek, reveling in her sudden stillness.

She'd forgotten the sound of her maiden name, but in his mouth it sounded like a death sentence.

Then again, that was the whole idea.

There was no more bravado in her, no fight she could dig out or snide joke she could make. Hesitantly she drew in a breath. She had to have been showing her fear, the lanky bastard just held her gaze for nearly a minute. At least she had the good grace not to buckle too much.

"Dawn."

Sarah didn't trust herself enough to speak. She nodded.

Inside she was screaming.

12