Dragonborn Rising Ch. 05

Story Info
Ragnar investigates a threat against the Thieves Guild.
8.3k words
4.76
8.5k
12
0

Part 5 of the 64 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 12/13/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 6 - Best Laid Plans

*****

"Who's the poor bastard losing his head?" I quietly asked the man next to me.

"Roggvir," the man replied out of the side of mouth.

"What did he do?"

"You'll find out in a minute. The captain is walking up the steps now."

Plenty of abuse was being hurled at the man dressed in little more than rags, hands bound in front of him. His hair was long and dirty, his beard straggly. But he had an air of defiance in the face of the accusing words. Most were calling him a traitor. I could have a good guess at what he'd done considering the civil war I'd heard about.

"Roggvir. You helped Ulfric Stormcloak escape this city after he murdered High King Torygg. By opening that gate for Ulfric you betrayed the people of Solitude!" the captain exclaimed.

The torrent of abuse only increased, and it took the line of guards keeping the crowd away from possibly tearing Roggvir limb from limb. Roggvir was allowed to step forward to answer the accusation.

"There was no murder! Ulfric challenged Torygg. He beat the High King in fair combat. Such is our way! Such as the ancient custom of Skyrim, and all Nords!"

The crowd continued to be unruly, and it took guards pushing people back with spears, one or two brandishing swords, and I wondered if this wasn't going to turn ugly. But the crowd behaved, stepping back and continued to just hurl insults at Roggvir, while I think the guards took a few barbed words too. The crowd was now so loud, you could barely hear the captain give the order for execution, Roggvir walked forward unaided to the block, where he dropped to his knees and lowered his head. The executioner walked forward, carrying an enormous two-handed axe. Lining up the axe, he took the head of Roggvir in one swing.

Their bloodlust satisfied, the crowd dispersed rather quickly. The executioner took the head, and I assumed that it would be placed on a pike above the gates as a warning to others. I fell in with the crowd, hoping to be ignored, though the coat I wore would have covered my armour. I'd heard more than one comment suggest I was a thief. They were right, but I certainly didn't like being accused of being one!

Mercer had mentioned that I would find Gulum-Ei in a tavern called the Winking Skeever, Locating the tavern wasn't particularly difficult as it was on the main road leading towards the palace. Wandering inside, it was rather full, with two musicians playing an instrument each, with a third providing further ambience with a simply beautiful singing voice. I had to stop, watch and listen for a few minutes, and once she finished, I had to join in with the applause that echoed around the entire tavern.

Thought I wanted a tankard of ale after such a long journey from Riften, I didn't want to converse with the Argonian with anything but a clear mind, Mercer and Brynjolf both warning that he was a slippery fucker, and I had the feeling they were not entirely confident I'd get the information out of him we needed. However, though I wouldn't kill him, I could always torture the bastard to get what I wanted. Not that I'd done that before, but when needs must...

I found the Argonian in a secluded corner of the tavern, busy drinking an aisle, back to the corner, eyes on everyone entering and leaving. No doubt he had clocked me enter, and probably sniffed out who I was within five seconds. Standing in front of his table, I simply looked down at him and said, "Gulum-Ei."

He looked up at me with what I thought was a smirk. "Let me guess. By your scent, I'd say you were from the Guild. But that can't be true, because I told Mercer I wouldn't deal with them anymore."

I took the spare chair without being invited to sit down and just looked at him in silence for a moment. I guess I was naively hoping I'd make him sweat, but he merely returned my look. "I'm here about Goldenglow," I finally said.

"I don't deal in land or property. Now, if you're looking for goods, you've come to the right person."

"Is that so, Gajul-Lei?"

Reading Argonian faces at the best of times is difficult, but I saw the nervous swallow, so I knew I had him, at least for a moment. "My apologies. I'm sorry to say I know very little about that... Bee farm, was it?"

I sighed, ready to take out my dagger to issue a threat or two, but I'd rather get the information without doing that. "Look, we know you acted as a broker for that deal. Your name is all over the paperwork."

He shrugged. "Maybe I did, maybe I didn't. I can't be expected to remember every deal I handle."

I sighed again, and withdrew the dagger, placing it on the table. "Listen very carefully, you dumb fuck. You're going to tell me everything I need to know..."

"Hasn't Mercer Frey taught you people anything? You kill me and your only contact with the East Empire Company vanishes. That's not smart for business."

I let the smirk form, and I could see the body language change. "Who said anything about killing you? What I will do is drag your sorry arse out of this tavern, find a nice secluded alley, where I will first beat your black and blue, and if you still don't cooperate, I'll start removing fingers and toes until you give me what I want."

"You're not..."

I slammed dagger point first into the table, no doubt earning the curious glances of others in the tavern. "You'd better believe I'm not joking," I growled, "Do not test my patience. Someone is fucking with the Guild and I want to know who it is."

He held up both his hands, now scared shitless. Good, that meant he'd tell me the truth. "Okay, okay, okay. I'll tell you what I know. I was approached by a woman who wanted me to act as the broker for something big. She flashed a bag of gold in my face and said all I had to do was pay Aringoth for the estate. I brought him the coin and walked away with her copy of the deed."

"Interesting. Did she give you any reason why she's doing all this? She's certainly well-funded and in the know."

"I tend not to ask too many questions when I'm on the job. I'm sure you understand. However, I did notice she was quite angry and it was being directed at Mercer Frey."

I nodded, definitely understanding what he meant, but still asked, "Did you at least get a name?"

"In this business we rarely deal in names; our identity comes from how much coin we carry."

"Or your aliases," I muttered. He snorted in amusement, knowing it was an alias he'd used that led me to his table.

"Look, that's all I know. I never promised you I'd have all the answers. Now, since our transaction is done, I'll be on my way."

"Watch yourself, Gulum-Ei. You're not smart enough to get away with it."

He gave me a look but I let him leave, letting him think I'd sit there and simply slink back to Riften. But I knew the slimy bastard knew a hell of a lot more than he was telling, so what I needed to do was find out where he was hiding information. Giving him a minute to leave, I knew he worked at the East Empire Company, so just had to figure out where their warehouse was.

Heading back to the gates, I was fortunate enough to see him in the distance, walking down the road and disappearing to the left. Jogging after him, he had already disappeared around another corner, but a signpost said the docks and the warehouse were down the hill. Perfect.

There was a lone guard on patrol around the docks, looking rather bored by everything. Gulum-Ei had disappeared by the time I was walking along the docks, and I quickly found myself at a large door, the sign stating the East Empire Company was inside. Glancing back to ensure no-one was watching, I managed to pick the lock rather quickly before stepping inside.

Stopping for a moment to allow my eyes to adjust to the gloom, I noticed guards on patrol. I didn't particularly want to wander through, cutting down everyone. These were likely legitimate workers, so I kept to the shadows and looked for a way forward. Climbing up a tall stack of shelves, I kept low and in the dark as I moved forward, noticing Gulum-Ei walk forward unimpeded, though he did stop occasionally to share a word with a guard. That was good for me, as I could watch where he was going easily, noticing he finally slipped into a hidden area.

Getting there myself was difficult, and I did eventually have to deal with one or two guards. Ensuring my hands were empty, I made do with knocking them out though made sure they wouldn't be found for at least a little while. Otherwise, it was a case of watching the guards patrol and moving when their backs were turned. It took a while, but I eventually made it to the same door through which Gulum-Ei disappeared.

I have no idea where I was, but it was clearly not part of the warehouse. There was something dodgy about all of it, and after taking care sneaking forward, I noticed bandits or mercenaries instead of warehouse workers. Fair game, as far as I was concerned. I'd left my shield back in Riften, armed with only a sword and dagger. Two men were standing on the edge near a river of water. Sneaking up behind them, I kicked one in the back, pushing him into the water, allowing the other one to turn so I could drive my sword into his gut. The one in the water couldn't swim, and I left him behind to drown.

The noise attracted attention, as another bandit was running towards me. On the narrow ledge with the water to my left, I parried a couple of his swings before getting in close, putting a foot into his knee. That caused him to drop down and I put a knee into his side, watching him fall into the water. I dealt with another three bandits, none of them particularly skilful, pushing two more into the water, the third required a sword through the chest to shut him up.

Gulum-Ei was definitely involved in a smuggling operation, considering the number of large crates and barrels bearing the East Empire Company name and symbol. But my eyes were for the three bandits who he was talking to. He turned as I approached and I think turned a shade or two of green lighter, as the three bandits thought fighting me was a good idea. Fighting three at once is never a good idea, but it was lucky for me that I don't mind fighting dirty.

However, I also like to think I have some honour, so once I was one on one with the last bandit, I offered him the chance to leave with his life. "Drop your weapons now and you can go," I said.

"I'm a dead man if I do."

"You're a dead man if you stay. All the others are now dead or dying. You'll see their bodies in the water when you go. Is this really worth dying for? You'll find another group to work for. This isn't worth it."

His sword dropped first, quickly followed by his shield, and he even added his hidden dagger, before holding his arms wide and walking away. "You have my thanks, stranger."

I waited until I figured he was at least halfway back to the entrance before turning my attention to Gulum-Ei. He was now scared shitless. "Sit!" I ordered, the Argonian complying immediately. Standing behind him, I put the tip of my sword on his shoulder, making sure he felt the blade against his neck.

"Now, there's no need to do anything rash..." He audibly swallowed. "This isn't as bad as it seems. I was going to tell Mercer about everything, honestly! Please, he'll have me killed!"

"I thought you said the Guild doesn't operate like that..."

"The Guild doesn't, but Mercer..." He trailed off. I was intrigued as to what he would want to add, but I left it for now.

"Just tell me what I want to know and I will leave you alone, and none of this need be mentioned, though perhaps kicking a few more septims to the Guild will be a good idea."

"I see you wish to be reasonable. Perhaps I misjudged you. The name of the person you want is Karliah."

"And who is Karliah?"

"Mercer never told you about her? Karliah is the thief responsible for murdering the previous Guild Master, Gallus. Now she's after Mercer."

"So why are you helping her?"

He started to shake his head. "Help? No, no! Look, I didn't even know it was her until after she contacted me. Please, you have to believe me!"

I pressed the blade into his neck, enough to give him a fright, perhaps start to plead for his life. But I believed him, fairly sure he was about to wet himself. So I removed the blade and sheathed it, but clamped a hand on his shoulder. "I believe you, Gulum-Ei. However, what I do need to know is where Karliah is now?"

"I don't know. When I asked her where she was going, she just muttered 'where the end began'. Here, take the Goldenglow Estate deed as proof. And when you speak to Mercer, tell him I'm worth more

to him alive."

"In thanks for your cooperation, I'll keep quiet about all this. But I expect a little something in return."

"Now you're speaking my language. Tell you what, if you need any stolen goods fenced, you bring them to me and I'll pay you good money for them. Consider me your new friend in the north."

"And maybe some select goods from the East Empire Company warehouse? I have some lady friends who would like the latest styles. Perhaps a nice dress or lingerie?"

"Sure, sure. I can hook you up on the best stuff available."

"Good. Now, since I followed you in here, I'm going to need your help getting out."

Gulum-Ei helped me get out of the warehouse past the guards, stating I was a new hire just learning what was required. I had to admit, the Argonian was a brilliant liar, and none of them thought he was lying at all. Once we were back outside, he asked nervously, "Now, you won't forget to tell Mercer I cooperated, will you?"

It was now rather late, so I headed back to Solitude and the Winking Skeever. I managed to get a bed for the evening, and enjoyed a hot meal and a few tankards of mead. Though I would have liked some female company, my attempts at flirting with the rather pretty blonde Breton singer blew up in my face, though only because she insisted she didn't sleep with anyone from the crowd. I think she was just letting me down nicely, but was polite enough to join me for a drink and a chat.

The journey back to Riften took two days, leaving at dawn the first day, making it to Whiterun in the afternoon, where I had another night in the Bannered Mare. I only made it back to Riften after dark the next evening. In fact, much later than usual so that by the time I entered the Bee and Barb, they were already asking for last orders.

Wanting some particular female company, Haelga had given me a key before leaving so I was free to come and go from the Bunkhouse. Quietly climbing the stairs, I think Haelga was already asleep as I shut the door silently, only a candle providing any illumination. Stripping off completely, I slid under the covers and Haelga turned over to my body. Only when she felt my presence did she wake up.

She was eager for my mouth, and the kiss was immediately hot and passionate, wasting little time climbing on top to straddle me. Her hands were all over my face and through my hair, though she eventually stopped to simply look at me. "Hello," she whispered.

"Hello to you too. Miss me?"

"Like you wouldn't believe. Did you miss me?"

"Of course." Running my hands up and down her back, she leaned down to kiss me again, my cock prodding her entrance, and I managed to blindly slide inside her. She gasped into my mouth, refusing to stop kissing me, as she met my slow thrust by sliding down me. Once our groins touched, she had to break the kiss to smile at me.

"I love this feeling."

She started to ride me ever so slowly, her mouth still desperate for mine, her tongue exploring my mouth and teeth. Gods, she was a good kisser. My hands ran down her back and sides before finally resting on her arse, giving it a good squeeze. Her arse was fantastic, holding it tight as she started to ride me just a little faster.

"I love you," she whispered, her eyes only for mine as she bounced away. I moved a hand to run it through her blonde hair before cupping her cheek, watching her eyes close at my touch. She wasn't lying. The look on her face, in her eyes, her entire body language, told me what she was feeling.

I wanted to make love to her all night, but it had been a few days since we'd been together, so I felt my orgasm approaching quicker than normal. I warned her about that, but I think she just wanted my cock inside her for a little while, and we'd make up for lost time tomorrow. That didn't stop her riding me faster, hoping she would climax too, but it was too much for me, dragging her down to hold her body tight to mine as I pumped her hard and fast for a couple of minutes before I came. I think she liked my groans, giggling away in my ear as I suddenly felt very drained.

"I think someone needed that," she said quietly.

"I needed you."

"Didn't get any while you were away?" My face fell, a little hurt as I thought she accepted that. She immediately noticed and made sure she hugged me tightly. "I'm sorry. That was mean of me."

I hugged her back, kissing her cheek too. "No. I understand what you mean. And, no, I didn't have company while I was away. But I was always going to come see you first when I returned. And I would have been happy just to lie next to you until the morning."

She slid off me as I continued to kiss her, knowing she hadn't climaxed either. The mood changed as my hands wandered her body, and she spread her legs so I could help bring her off. She was almost insistent that I continued to kiss her until she finally had to rest her head on my shoulder, listening to her soft moans and breathing as I brought her to climax. I felt her shudder as she came, her arms tightening around my body. "Gods, Ragnar," she cried quietly.

I kept fondling her, wondering if she would want another one, but she finally grabbed my wrist and asked me to stop as she'd had enough. "We'll continue in the morning. It's late."

She kept her promise, as I was woken as the sun rose by her lips around my cock. All I did was shuffle up the bed so I could watch her make love to my cock with her mouth, and she certainly took her time trying to bring me off. I did ask if she wanted anything else, but she insisted that all she wanted was my cock in her mouth, and then my cum down her throat. If that's not love, I don't know what is.

So I watched her for however long it took. Her eyes remained on mine nearly the entire time, and I did enjoy watching my entire cock disappear into her mouth. I think she was rather pleased to do it at the same time, always looking up and smiling at me when she did.

The problem with Haelga is that she was an excellent cocksucker, so while I loved what she did, I couldn't handle it for too long. Warning her I was close to orgasm, she kept doing what she was doing, and she was rather excited when she finally felt the first stream of cum erupt in her mouth. She took the entire load and swallowed the lot, ensuring she cleaned me up with her tongue before she simply crawled the bed to lie beside me, giving me a peck on the cheek. "Morning," she said quietly.

"Aye, morning."

"Thank you for coming to me last night. Did you come straight here?"

"Of course. I said I would. The only reason I arrived so late is that we were delayed by a couple of bears on the road. It took a while to scare them off. The driver tried to make up time but the road isn't the best, and he had to be careful once the sun disappeared."

"I was hoping you'd walk in on me as I was masturbating. You could have replaced my fingers or toy with your cock. Just walk in, undress and slide inside me. Just the thought of you doing that got me very excited."

"Maybe next time."

Wrapping an arm around her, we lay back together, her hand running up and down my chest, my hand stroking her side. She asked what I was doing, admitting that she did wonder what I was up to from time to time, knowing and beginning to accept what I did, particularly once I admitted that, so far, I'd actually done little thieving, finding myself involved in all manner of other intrigues. But I also admitted that I was still a thief at heart, but that I had heard of the Companions of Whiterun, and was considering approaching them.