Dragonborn Rising Ch. 08

Story Info
Ragnar gets revenge and saves the Thieves Guild.
8k words
4.74
8k
16

Part 8 of the 64 part series

Updated 06/09/2023
Created 12/13/2018
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 8 - Revenge and Rebuild

*****

My body ached. I'm sure I'd smacked my head on something as my vision was still blurry. But I felt a presence next to me. "When Brynjolf brought you before me, I could feel a sudden shift in the wind. And at that moment, I knew it would end with one of us at the end of a blade."

"Tell you what, Mercer. Just give me the Skeleton Key and I'll forget about everything else you've done. But you'll have to leave Skyrim. Can't have you hanging around here."

That made him laugh at me. I was hoping to distract him, but Karliah nor Brynjolf were not attacking. I wondered why. Then my vision finally cleared and I could see the blade he was holding, ready to strike. His eyes were only for mine though. I thought I'd seen hatred, but his? He thoroughly despised me. "What's Karliah been filling your head with? Tales of thieves with honour? Oaths rife with falsehoods and broken promises? Nocturnal doesn't care about you, the Key or anything having to do with the Guild."

"Okay, I'll answer each question. Karliah told me the truth about you, the fact you're a conniving cunt. I do believe in honour amongst thieves. And the oath I've taken in regards to Nocturnal will ensure the success of the Guild once we return the Skeleton Key. It is all your fault, Mercer. You caused the influence of the Guild to slowly but surely ebb away."

"t's clear you'll never see the Skeleton Key as I do. Don't you see, it's an instrument of limitless wealth. Instead you've chosen to fall over your own foolish code."

"Don't you read the stories, Mercer? The bad guy never wins! I'll take pleasure putting a sword into your gut."

Before he could react, I rolled out of the way, unsheathing my sword at the same time, so that by the time I was on my feet, I had sword and shield in hand. "Getting slow in your old age, Mercer. A young warrior wouldn't have wasted time talking. He would have put a sword in me immediately. That's your problem. You're full of hot air."

"Then the die is cast, and once again my blade will taste Nightingale blood! Karliah, I'll deal with you after I deal with your irksome companions. In the meantime, perhaps you and Brynjolf should get better acquainted."

I glanced to see the pair of them start to fight each other, so figured Mercer had used some sort of spell. I knew next to nothing about magic, so simply ignored them. My eyes were for Mercer. Remembering he wielded dual blades, and he was fast, I remained circumspect to begin with, confident in my own talents, and in the fact my new armour would protect me.

He was fast, I'll give him that, and I was on the back foot for quite a while, but I had plenty of experience myself despite my youth, and I had been the most trusted lieutenant of Guild Master Corvus of Cheydinhal. I knew how to fight, but sometimes a better defence was worth more than a good offense. So I let Mercer attack me, believing he was gaining the upper hand. Don't get me wrong. Constantly defending was tiring, but I was waiting for the first mistake, just a moment where he left an opening that would allow me to strike.

Most fighting is not only about how you swung a blade. It was about how you positioned your body, and perhaps the most important facet of swordplay was actually footwork. So I watched his blades while judging where he would place each foot. And what I always remember was that, in a fight to the death, things like honour are quite quickly forgotten. If you had to, use anything to your advantage, and don't worry about fighting dirty.

What didn't help us was the fact there was that the very ground started to shake, and one of the pipes high above us burst, pouring water down, and I knew that the chamber was slowly but surely going to flood. I moved backwards onto dry ground, and with the higher ground, I started to use that to my advantage. I managed to put a boot into Mercer's face, leaving blood pouring from his nose, and a minute later, finally managed to disarm him with a perfectly timed parry and swipe that sent his sword clattering into water.

Now with only one sword, I could finally get on the front foot, and with sword, shield, elbows and kicks, I wore down his defences. I wasn't going for a killing blow immediately, I wanted to disarm him, then give him the coup de grâce. Once I realised he was starting to tire, I pressed home my advantage, and when his second sword was sent flying, he was probably expecting an immediate killing blow. He wasn't going to get that just yet as I grabbed him by the hair and dragged him up the stairs to the top the statue. Pushing him onto the head, I kicked out his legs, forcing him to his knees. Looking past him, I could see Brynjolf and Karliah no longer fighting.

"Do it, Ragnar!" Karliah called.

"What about you?"

"As long as he dies."

I placed the blade to his neck. "Feel that, Mercer? That is death on your shoulder. You fucked with the wrong man."

"You're just another stooge for Nocturnal."

"No, I'm about to make all of us very rich, Mercer. I'm going to help rebuild the Guild and restore our reputation and influence. You will lie in this chamber, quickly and quietly forgotten by all."

There was no time to waste as I could see the water continuing to flood the chamber, and I took his head with one clean strike, his head simply falling to the ground. I searched his body, finding the Skeleton Key in one of his pockets, putting that in one of my own. Karliah and Brynjolf joined me, both carrying an Eye of the Falmer. Wondering how the hell we were going to get out, we were saved as the roof caved in, exposing a hidden cave. I liked to think it was Nocturnal looking after us, aware we'd retrieved the Key.

We walked towards the entrance of the cave without exchanging a word, realising we were going to have to walk back to find our horses. We'd been in the ruin for quite a while as it was now rather dark too. As it was warmer in the cave, we headed back inside and Karliah managed to get a small campfire going. We would go hungry as we had no supplies otherwise.

Sitting down, she finally said, "I can't believe it's over. After twenty-five years in exile and just like that, it's done. All that remains is to ensure the safe return of the Skeleton Key." She paused before adding, "I'm actually glad you killed him. I would have tortured him first, given him just a taste of what I'd been through for a quarter of a century."

"How do you feel?" Brynjolf wondered.

"Relieved that it's over. Justified at the measures taken. Sad because I think about what might have been otherwise..."

There wasn't a whole lot else to say and the three of us eventually just leaned back against the cave wall and slowly drifted off, Karliah ensuring she was close enough to have her head rested against me. I had no doubt she still had love in her heart for Gallus, so what would actually realistically happen between us was what she eventually decided.

We were further away from the entrance to Irkngthand than we realised, so the three of us were rather cold and miserable, in addition to very hungry, by the time we made it back to our horses. Karliah suggested we head back to Riften first before we discuss the next and hopefully last stage of what was required to complete the agreement with Nocturnal. I thought that was a sound idea, and we agreed that we would keep riding until we made Riften stables. It took longer than a day, but riding at night wasn't such a problem, one of us dozing as the other two kept a look out.

At least it was daylight by the time we made it back to Riften, but the three of us were exhausted. Brynjolf and Karliah headed to the Flagon, and we agreed to meet the next morning. I headed into the Bunkhouse. Haelga was cleaning one of the dining tables, and once I'd removed my hood and mask, she burst into tears and ran towards me. I held her tightly as she wept. "I'm okay. It's over," I whispered.

"I was confident in whatever you were doing, but so worried at the same time." She leaned back and looked down. "New armour?"

"It's a long story and slightly unbelievable. But the new armour is excellent." I couldn't help the sigh that followed. "Mostly I'm just exhausted, hungry and really want a wash."

She gave me a soft kiss on the lips. "Head upstairs and I'll bring up a little food and some hot water for you."

Once up in her bedroom, I immediately stripped off my new armour, laying down on the soft bed and near enough falling straight to sleep, only woken when shaken awake by Haelga. "Tired?"

"Exhausted. Had a quick nap on horseback but otherwise been awake for longer than a day."

Getting up, I removed my underwear before she asked me to sit down. She then stripped herself nude before grabbing the bucket of hot water, and after adding a little oil, she used a cloth to start washing me. She enjoyed running it over my arms and shoulders, spending plenty of time scrubbing my chest and back, and went so far as to clean my legs and feet. All this touching made me quite hard, and after she towelled me down, she kneeled between my legs and eagerly took my cock in her mouth.

I could only let my head roll back and groin as she quickly took my entire length, her head bobbing up and down. Like always, it felt wonderful, proving her skills with her mouth and tongue time and again. But while I would have loved nothing more than finishing in her mouth, I wanted something else. Suggesting what I did want, she happily removed her mouth and positioned herself over my cock, lowering herself down without stopping until my entire length was inside her pussy.

"I'm not going to last long," I warned, "And I'll want a nap afterwards."

"That's fine," she said softly, wasting no time bouncing up and down. I moved my lips to her neck, immediately giving that a hard enough bite to leave another mark before she arched her back so I could lick and suck at her breasts.

Haelga was soon making a lot of noise as always, while I was just trying not to cum too quickly. But all the washing, the blowjob, and now her tight, wet pussy was just too much for me, and I held her tight as I thrust up and came, groaning loudly enough that I'm sure Svana heard downstairs, though I'm sure she probably knew what we were doing anyway. Haelga settled down on my lap as we continued to make out, our kisses now soft but still full of passion and desire. Eventually it was my turn to rest my head on her chest.

She eventually stood up and, after a quick clean up, helped me into bed. Leaning down to kiss me again, she whispered that she still had work to do, but as soon as she was finished, she'd be up to join me. I said I'd probably sleep until the next morning. "What if I woke you up offering you my arse?"

"Well, maybe... But I am really tired!"

That made her giggle, she kissed me a last time, and I was probably asleep by the time she was out the door.

She came in quite a bit later, waking me up with her offer. I'd had enough sleep to at least rise to the occasion, and thankfully she was happy enough to just ride me, shoving her toy in her pussy at the same time, and she had quite the orgasm once I blasted in her arse. We both slept like logs a little later

.

*****

My hand was sore from all the handshakes I'd received since entering the Flagon. Everyone was delighted to hear that Mercer Frey was dead, and more importantly, that the Guild was on the verge of being restored to what it once was. Karliah and Brynjolf were waiting in the cistern, where we would discuss the final part of the rebuild.

"Sleep well, Ragnar?" Brynjolf asked.

"I don't know about you, but I was bloody exhausted."

"Aye, we slept like logs too." Then he cleared his throat. "Look, before we get down to the returning of the Skeleton Key, we've actually got something we need to discuss."

I glanced at Karliah before asking carefully, "What?"

"The leadership of the Guild."

"Well, clearly it should either be yourself or Karliah. Frankly, it should be Karliah, as recompense for everything she's been through."

"I've been at this game a long time, my friend. A long time. I've stolen trinkets from nobles and framed priests for murder. I'm good at what I do, maybe even one of the best. But it's all I know. I've never been one to lead. Never desired it, never cared for it. Don't want it."

I looked at Karliah and she added her thoughts. "There's only one man who we agree should lead the Guild, Ragnar. Delvin and Vex agree too. Thanks to your efforts, Mercer's treachery has been exposed, and once we've returned the Key, all we need to do is ensure our influence spreads across Skyrim once again. As a result, we both feel that you have the potential of replacing Mercer as leader of the Thieves Guild."

I ran a hand through my long hair. "Seriously?"

Brynjolf laid a hand on my shoulder. "Look, lad. Everyone in the Guild admires what you've done. Maybe they won't come out and simply tell you, but I promise you it's true. And now they know Mercer never genuinely cared about the Guild. He lacked the loyalty you obviously possess. I can't think of anyone better."

I looked at Karliah. "What he says is one hundred percent correct, Ragnar. And in Brynjolf and I, you will have people who can guide you as we rebuild the Guild."

"I'll think about it. Let's return the Key and start spreading our influence again. All being well, I'll accept."

"Good," Karliah stated, "So that means we can discuss what we need to do next. And, unfortunately, it's not going to be simple. When the Skeleton Key was stolen from the Twilight Sepulcher, our access to the inner sanctum was removed. The only way to bring it back will be through the Pilgrim's Path."

"And that is?" I wondered.

"To be honest, I'm not sure. It wasn't created for the Nightingales. It was created to test those who wished to serve Nocturnal in other ways. As a consequence, I have no knowledge of what you'll be facing."

"Will you come with me at least?"

"I can't, Ragnar. I've been a Nightingale for a very long time. I sold my allegiance to Nocturnal in exchange for many profitable years of thieving. Falling in love with Gallus was wrong. It was a distraction that allowed the Sepulcher to be desecrated and it likely cost him his life. Until the Key is returned, I will never set foot inside that place again."

"Okay, will you at least make the journey with me? Brynjolf, you're welcome to join us too."

"I'll stay here, lad," he replied, before turning to Karliah, "But you should go with him, Karliah. Keep him company." His tone was slightly suggestive, something both Karliah and I heard. With her face uncovered, the blush was noticeable. She looked rather shy and very cute when looking away.

But she immediately agreed, and we didn't really need to make any plans except gather some supplies and head to the stables. Karliah knew the way.

We made it to Falkreath as the sun was setting, Karliah suggesting we head into the woods to make camp. I liked the idea, and we rode for another twenty or so minutes, tying our horses to a tree, and as Karliah set up the tent, I went to find wood for a fire. I managed to get that lit rather quickly, and with the supplies we'd brought, we managed to sate our hunger, at least for something regarding our stomachs.

Sitting side by side on a log, the moon now out and stars twinkling above us, Karliah cuddled into me as it was rather cool around Falkreath. "Were you intimate with your woman last night?" she finally asked.

"I was. Why do you ask?"

"Just wondering." She paused, before adding, "I wasn't lying about falling in love being a mistake. I was a distraction to Gallus. I'm not saying I got him killed, but he was so enamoured by me that he failed to see what Mercer was doing right under his nose."

"Did you see it? What Mercer was doing?"

"I never trusted him completely, but he and Gallus had been friends for years, so I think Gallus gave him wiggle room and enough rope to finally hang himself. I don't think he ever imagined Mercer would have ever turned on him in such a manner."

"Don't blame yourself, for Mercer or Gallus. Mercer had everyone fooled, most importantly Gallus. And there's nothing wrong with falling in love." I paused before adding, "Though I guess certain acts don't require love, just an attraction..."

She burst into laughter. "Smooth, Ragnar. Very smooth." She cuddled into me. "When we return to Riften, I think we should discuss it. No, scratch that. There's nothing to discuss. You should just carry me to a bed, strip me off and do what we both want."

"I'm going to need my own place..."

"Why not Riftweald Manor? Mercer is dead and it's better in your hands than someone else's."

"Hmmm. Not a bad idea. I'll have a chat with Maven, as I believe she still owns the land itself. Considering I have a decent relationship with her, I'm sure she won't mind handing it over to me." I paused before asking, "I assume that is a subtle hint that we won't be getting naked tonight?"

"Part of me really wants to, Ragnar. It's been twenty-five years since I felt the touch of a man. But another few days won't make a real difference. I want a warm room and a soft bed for the first time we make love."

"Make love?"

"You will have to be gentle with me, Ragnar. Firstly, because it's been so long. And, secondly, because I know you're gifted." I groaned, causing her to giggle. "I'm sure I'll still be surprised."

We snuggled under the furs at little later, and it didn't take long under our kisses turned hot, heavy and suggestive of what we both really wanted. When she ended up straddling my lap, she definitely felt the erection, unable to stop herself grinding against it despite being clothed. My hands were on her arse, enjoying how firm it was. I had a very good idea of how she was going to look naked. I immediately had a thought of Jenassa and figured Karliah was going to be even fitter.

She eventually had to stop, stating if we kept going, she would give into temptation. So she slid off me and cuddled into me instead. She apologised for apparently teasing me, though I didn't mind. She was a great kisser, and sometimes a make out session could be just as much fun as anything else.

The Twilight Sepulcher was hidden away a section of forest probably rarely if ever visited, though was no doubt likely protected by magics and whatnot. Karliah was with me as far as the entrance before she insisted that she would go no further until I'd returned the Key. She hugged me and wished me good luck before I wandered inside.

It was rather dark and the entrance was nothing grand. In fact, it looked rather abandoned, as if unvisited in decades. Figuring there was little time to waste, I headed straight to the set of stairs ahead, though my progress was halted when a spirit, or perhaps it was a ghost, approached me in return.

After a short conversation, I realised it was Gallus. I told him what happened and that I was returning the Skeleton Key. But when I told him Karliah was still alive, the joy in his voice told me everything I needed to know. Even as a spirit, his heart was still full of love for her. He couldn't tell me much about the Pilgrim's Path, but he admitted that he was slowly dying, the longer the link between us and the Ebonmere remained broken. It was a subtle suggestion for me to hurry.

There were five tests in all. The first room was guarded with Nightingale spirits, and I had to sneak by them. Despite my size and bulk, I could be surprisingly fleet of foot, and using the shadows to my advantage, sneaking by them wasn't particularly difficult. In the second room, I discovered quite quickly that the light burned, and I had to be careful where I stepped, otherwise I'd find myself shot by poison darts. Sticking to shadows, I took my time getting past all the traps, as though in a hurry, I didn't particularly want to be burned or shot.