Dream within a Dream Ch. 03

Story Info
Solution. Ending twists.
7.9k words
4.75
12.2k
4

Part 3 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 12/06/2015
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The chronological order of my stories is now listed in WifeWatchman's biography.

Feedback and constructive criticism is very much appreciated, and I encourage feedback for ideas.

This story contains graphic scenes, language and actions that might be extremely offensive to some people. These scenes, words and actions are used only for the literary purposes of this story. The author does not condone murder, racial language, violence, rape or violence against women, and any depictions of any of these in this story should not be construed as acceptance of the above.

*****

Part 11 - The Burn

"This is Nick Eastwood, KXTC Sports Sunday!" said the handsome young man on the Sunday news broadcast.

"He looks very relaxed, doesn't he?" said Laura as she watched.

"He damn well should, after what you did to him Friday night." I said.

Eastwood said "Coach Bronson and the University's Bulldogs are still reeling from the loss to the State U Purple Hawks yesterday. The 24-10 loss was made worse by numerous unforced errors such as penalties at crucial times, two costly turnovers, and poor special teams play that gave the Hawks an easy game."

Eastwood continued, smiling a bit more brightly: "Also in Conference play, the Wildcats destroyed State Tech 56-0. Not one but two Wildcats were ejected for targeting the State Tech quarterback with helmet shots to the head and neck area, and two State Tech defensive linemen suffered season-ending knee injuries when they were chop-blocked."

Eastwood continued, relishing his words: "The State Tech coach complained that the officials were not calling the Wildcats for the chop blocks and other personal fouls. The Wildcat coach replied that the State Tech coach had little room to complain after the game against the Bulldogs last year. Back to you, Amber!"

The newscast turned to Amber Harris and Chuck Pringle at the KXTC news desk. "Chuck," Amber said, "the Wildcat's Coach Richmond made that comment about last year's Bulldogs-Engineers game, where our colleague Nick Eastwood was deliberately injured. Do you think that there is an atmosphere of retaliation against State Tech? And are the officials going to look the other way on rough hits against State Tech players?"

"I don't know, Amber." said Chuck Pringle. "Coach Richmond has always been known as a coach of integrity, that works to build his players' characters as well as their athletic talents. So his comments yesterday caught everyone off guard. I've been told by Conference officials that they'll be looking into it, but the atmosphere of what happened in last year's game may continue to haunt State Tech this season. Their quarterback had better keep his head on a swivel."

"Chuck, what about Coach Russ Bronson?" asked Amber. "He took over for the late Coach Brian Harlan, but the team did not play with any enthusiasm, and they seemed poorly coached. Is it too early to say Coach Bronson is on the hot seat?"

"Not at all, Amber." said Pringle. "I've talked with several University sources, who all say that if Coach Bronson can't turn things around quickly, he might not survive the season. What Coach Bronson absolutely does not want is to go into the late October game against the Wildcats needing to win to keep his job..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

After Sunday brunch with Laura, I headed to the Federal Building off Courthouse Square in Town for a meeting with FBI Special Agent In Charge Jack Muscone. I was surprised but not surprised to see that his boss, the Deputy Director, was also in the FBI offices in the otherwise quiet building.

"Thank you for coming in today, Commander." said the DepDirector. "It's been a busy time for all of us."

"Yes sir." I said.

"First of all," said the DepDirector, "I want to thank you for bringing us in on this execution case, and for being discreet and quiet about the nature of the chemical poisons that were used. The use of these drugs has put Washington on pins and needles: if someone could do this in a State execution, imagine the fear of terrorists using a chemical weapon against our citizens."

"That is a possibility." I said. "Though I have the feeling that it was intended just to make Priemus die a horribly painful death."

"What have you found?" asked the DepDirector as Jack listened in with avid interest. I brought up my computer and plugged it in to a small projector, displaying my screen on the wall for them to see.

"I've been looking very hard into this Dora Ellis." I said. "She was the woman who turned State's Evidence on Priemus. Her husband was also part of the killings, but he is now dead. I'll talk about him in a minute."

I continued: "Dora Ellis is the daughter of Henry Boxman of Rainbow Insurance of San Francisco. Rainbow Insurance has had a few insurance situations similar to Reems & Berry in this Town. They've also had associations with Gresham & Mason in California and their subsidiaries. I'm still trying to get into his personal life and associations."

"Dora worked with her father when she was younger, in college." I said. "She was a member of several extremely liberal campus organizations, including one that got in some trouble for accusing every male student on campus of being rapists. Some of those male students sued her group for slander, and named her personally in the lawsuit. Her father had to work to get her out of that mess, but was pretty much able to do so with the help of extremely sympathetic school officials."

I continued: "She then went to Texas, particularly the Dallas-Ft. Worth area. Now let me ask you FBI guys: why is that unusual?"

Jack said "Pretty conservative place for a very liberal woman to go, I'd say."

"Exactly." I said. "Her major in college was 'Women's Studies'. I don't know what job she's expecting to get with such a degree, outside of a campus job or doing work with politicians. But she did none of that. She began working with a bank, a branch of DFW Regional Banks, headed by one Perry Richards. Have either of you heard that name before?"

Neither FBI Agent had, so I filled in some blanks. "Perry Richards was in my Town & County for a while before going to Dallas. While in Texas, he was investigated for money laundering, though the investigation fizzled. And in another interesting coincidence, the Detective who first got onto the money laundering was Detective Angela Harlan while she was working in Texas."

"Oh, wow." said Jack Muscone. "And is the Black Widow popping up in other places in connection with any of this?"

"Funny that you would ask exactly the right question, my friend." I said. "Seems Ms. Harlan did leave some notes with her Police Department in Texas, and she definitely had Dora Boxman on her radar. Dora left Texas shortly after Angela made notes on Dora, suggesting Dora realized she was being watched, or was informed of Harlan's interest."

I went on: "Dora came up to Westphalia, worked at Twin Cities Bank and then City & Counties Bank. She met Danny Ellis, whom she married, and Lance Priemus. I delved into the City Police's computers, as well as asking Detective Ventura to have a peek on the up-and-up level. Sure enough, Captain Susan Wexler had sealed Dora's records, suggesting she'd made Dora a C.I. Of course, Wexler might've also made Dora one of her agents of crime. Director, did you ever find out if Wexler had any white supremacy associations?"

The DepDirector's lips were pursed, then he finally said "Well, I guess I should tell you, since you'll find out eventually: Wexler worked with certain organizations in the City. I don't know how much she really was a part of them, or if she just worked with them in mutually beneficial business arrangements, as she did with Henry R. Wargrave."

"The web is being weaved." said Jack Muscone. "You've put together a lot of strands, here, Don."

"Yes." I said. "What I want to do is go to Westphalia, get Dora's plea deal revoked, then offer to reinstate it if she gives us some information that can help us solidify what we're getting on these bastards."

Jack seemed enthusiastic about that, but the DepDirector frowned as he peered at me and said "So tell me, how will you get the deal revoked?"

"She lied about not being in a White Supremacy group." I replied.

"And which group is that?"

"Superior-- oh..." I said, realizing where the DepDirector was going.

"Yes." he said. "Superior Bloodlines is still very much in the shadows, behind the scenes. Their people are lawyers, bankers, insurance agents, and other upstanding citizens in their communities."

"We can still get the Court to do away with the plea deal, can't we, sir?" asked Muscone.

"No, we can't." I said forlornly. "We'd have to show that SB is a white supremacy organization. I think we have enough to do so, but all we'll be doing is telling the world what we know about them, and that we know they exist and what they're up to. They'll change tactics, put up smoke screens, and we may or may not have Dora tell us anything at all."

"Now Commander," said the DepDirector, "if you can associate Dora Ellis, her husband, her father, or Priemus to any other racist organization, such as the Klan or the 'White Roots' redneck group, then I'll be glad to have FBI lawyers back you up all the way on this."

"Who is 'White Roots'?" Jack asked.

"Rednecks." I said. "Some are bikers, but most of them are the very stereotypical types of Southern rednecks. Dora could fit in the category, but I never found an association for her with them or anyone else. And I was looking for things like Klan associations with the banks she worked at."

"What if we created that connection for you?" asked the DepDirector.

"Sir?" I said, "you mean create a false narrative?"

"Or provide something that suggests her present associations are actually this offshoot group, leaving the racists in the business suits out of it." said the Director.

"Noooo, we can't do that." I said. "If it ever, ever came out... and knowing our Moriarty, it would... then that'd do us irreparable damage. Not to mention that I really do want to do this legitimately and by the Constitution. I want to see Moriarty stand trial, to show the world his existence and his crimes, and take down the hundreds of people working for and with him."

The DepDirector nodded. "Good call." he said. "And we don't need to fake it. You'll be getting some stuff from me very soon that will help you execute your plan." He got up. "Okay, there's one other thing that needs to be done, and I'll leave Special Agent Muscone to do it." With that, the DepDirector left.

"Don," said Jack "we have to interview you about the Sharples information that went to Priya Ajmani. And I have to tell you that your rights will be read to you, and you can have legal counsel present for it."

"Let's do it, then." I said. "And I will invoke my rights if I feel the need..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"My name is Bond. James Bond." said the man.

"You're kidding me." I said. I looked at the FBI lawyer, who was wearing an expensive gray suit. He was an older man, with a graying mustache and black-rimmed spectacles, and hair that was three different shades of gray.

"No, and I get that a lot." he said. "As a police officer, you know how this works. I'll begin the recorder, read you your rights, ask if you understand them, and then we'll begin."

"Okay." I said. All that was done, from reading the rights, me acknowledging them, to asking my position in the TCPD and me making sure to add that I was an FBI consultant... which I think irritated the legal beagle.

"Commander, you received a package of information from a reporter, is that correct?"

"Yes." I said.

"And how did she obtain it?"

"That calls for speculation, doesn't it?" I asked. The man looked over at Jack Muscone, who just looked back at him with a 'Why are you looking at me?' look.

"Okay, we'll do it the hard way, then." Agent Bond said, his voice becoming surly. "What did she tell you concerning how she obtained it?" asked Bond.

"She said she obtained it from Leonard Sharples, a former officer on the Town & County Police Force, now working with the SBI, to my latest knowledge."

"What did you do with the package?" asked the man.

"Brought it to the FBI." I said.

"Did you show anyone else the package?"

"Yes, my partner, who is--"

"That's enough to answer the question." said the man, trying to cut me off.

"No it's not, and I demand you let me finish the statement." I said. "The person I showed it to is also an FBI consultant and has a Top Secret clearance. I knew that, so I knew I was not breaking any laws regarding handling of classified information."

"From now on, answer my questions and leave the explanations to my discretion." Bond said.

"Then this interview is over." I said. "I'm not fooling around with your potential trap questions."

Special Agent Bond looked at me, totally stunned, then looked at Muscone, who said "He's right, Agent Bond. You're not going to trick him with the 'Scooter Libby' treatment."

"I hope you're not suggesting that I would be attempting to do so." said Bond, knowing full well that that had been the insinuation. "Commander Troy, I'll remind you again that you have the right to counsel, and if you're concerned about the questions I very much suggest you acquire counsel."

"I'll do so when I feel the need to." I said. "Do you have any more questions?" I should end the interview, I thought to myself, but I want to see where he goes with this...

"Yes. Our investigation is showing that SBI Agent Sharples did not transmit the message to reporter Ajmani. Do you have any idea how that might have been accomplished?"

"I can't speak to your investigation and conclusion on that." I said. "I only know what I was told by Ms. Ajmani."

"I'm stating it to you now." said Bond. "The FBI's investigation has determined that Sharples did not transmit the message. Do you have any idea how that message might have been transmitted to Ms. Ajmani's cellphone, appearing as Agent Sharples's number as the point of origin?"

"That again calls for speculation, which I decline to do under the auspices of this interrogation." I replied. "Furthermore, the question is too broad and general."

I added: "Mr. Bond, I'm aware of the laws about lying to Federal agents. I'm also aware of the tricks played by the FBI with the questions and those laws. Ask me much more specific questions if you want me to answer them."

"Answer the question I've asked." said Bond. I saw out of the corner of my eye that Muscone was confused at the lawyer's behavior.

"Do you have any more questions?" I replied, ready to pull the plug on this charade.

The lawyer looked at me practically through his nose. "Yes, I do. Do you know Professor Marvin Milton."

"Yes, I have met him." I said.

"Have you and he ever worked together on anything?"

"Like what?" I replied.

"Anything. Anything at all." said Bond.

"You have to be more specific." I said.

"No. The question is if you and Professor Marvin Milton of the University have ever worked together on anything at all, any law enforcement case, any gathering of information or evidence, anything at all?"

"At this point, I decline to answer that question nor any further questions without legal representation." I said, easily seeing the trap being laid for me. "I am not yet invoking my Fifth Amendment rights, but will not answer further questions without legal representation."

"Are you taking the Fifth Amendment?" Bond asked. That was a question. I remained silent.

"Are you taking the Fifth?" the lawyer asked again.

"I refer you to the answer I just gave." I said.

"At this point," said the lawyer, "you have to answer, or you have to invoke the Fifth. And then you can't discuss any aspect of the case with anyone, at all."

"You're full of shit." said Jack Muscone, very aware of what had just happened. "And I just witnessed you violating Commander Troy's legal rights. Don, I don't know what this bastard is up to, but let's just stop this bullshit and get out of here." We left the room and the building together.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

"He was partly right." I said as Jack and I drank some normal, yellow lemonade on the deck of the Cabin. "If I invoke, I can't talk about the case at all. And obviously I might have to talk about aspects of it while we pursue the Shadow Man."

"Yeah." said Muscone. "I called my boss already, told him how that had gone. He was pretty upset, and very suspicious at the way the lawyer handled that. But he also wondered why you stopped talking at all when asked about Professor Milton."

"He knows why; he's not an idiot." I said. "That was a trap being laid on behalf of the CIA. While you were talking to your boss, I was talking to mine: my wife. She's pissed at the whole thing, too, and she's going to investigate from the CIA side."

"You got that signal jammer?" Jack asked. I brought it out of my pocket. "Turn it on." he said. I did so.

Jack started in: "I need to share with you some things, friend to friend, off the professional record. I think you did the right thing rescuing that reporter from the CIA. But doing that stirred up a huge hornet's nest in Washington. Some of the CIA brass are tearing themselves apart over it. And the FBI came in hard, especially my boss, on your side. Sure, it was a chance to take shots at the CIA like we love to do, but they really did cross the line on that one."

Jack continued: "That might have died down, but then this Sharples thing came up. This is the second time classified information has come up either in public or to a reporter in your County. Casey B. Walker, who really is an honest man, loves his country and the CIA but is sometimes a bit too passionate, has actually said out loud that he thinks either you or your wife is behind the leaks. Your wife is not to be trifled with, and she snapped his head back so hard that Walker nearly got fired."

"And the Sharples information... that put a dent into several things, several ongoing investigations." said Jack. "I know you're aware of some of it because you solved that Porno Set murder case, and some stuff came out in the wash concerning that. Maybe sheer coincidence that that happened in your County, but it was... yet again... in your County."

"Where the Consultant of Crime also happens to live." I replied.

"I don't even want to go there, at least not yet." Jack said. "My boss is only interested in Superior Bloodlines. He is absolutely obsessed with them. He thinks taking them down is necessary to saving the nation. His zeal for that is as strong as Casey Walker's zeal for counterintelligence. If your Consultant, who my boss is still skeptical about, is related to Superior Bloodlines, then my boss will be interested. If not, you're on a different path than him."

"Our Shadow Man is indeed related to SB as well as other things." I said. "I'm afraid, Jack, that if I point out the connections too soon, then your boss... in his zeal... will go after him and them like a bull in a china shop, and *poof!* my case will be gone... and Peter Feeley's death will go unavenged."

"What?" said Jack, his neck practically snapping as his head turned to look at me.

"I am convinced," I said, speaking it out loud for the first time, "that Peter Feeley was specifically targeted for murder by the Black Widow. And until I fully avenge that death, I must live with my shame and dishonor for that crime."

"Wow, dude." said Jack Muscone. "I had no idea about that. I'd say let it go, but I get where you're coming from. Is that the only reason you want to bring the bastard down?"

"No." I said. "He tortured puppies, and my rescue dog was one of them. I want vengeance for Bowser, and also for the poor dogs that died. But more, I want him to be publicly exposed, shamed before the world, and his crimes known by all."