Dreams Come True

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She stopped on reruns of an old show, and they both laughed at the same times, and talked during commercials. Yet, the longer they sat there, the more Nadine tensed up. Finally Kain sighed.

"I am not going to jump your bones, honey. You can relax. Don't get me wrong, I would love to love you, but you're obviously worried about it, and I'm not going to force you. Please just relax. I'm not going to try anything unless you want to, one hundred percent. I don't want you to have regrets, and I don't want you to hate my guts." Kain gave her a gentle squeeze.

"Oh.. I wouldn't hate you. I'm just struggling here, not sure if I want to open myself up to hurt again. I think I already have." Nadine shrugged. "I don't know if I'm coming or going. I like you a lot, Kain. And I just don't want to ruin anything before it's really had a chance to begin."

"Then let's go to sleep. That way, no worries." He kissed her temple. "Which way do ya want to cuddle?"

Nadine smirked. "It's up to you."

"Honestly, I don't think we should spoon. I would scare you to death." Kain laughed, then scooted down. She turned more towards him, and rested her hand on his chest. Still, his fingers drifted over her skin, and soon Nadine's breathing evened out as she calmed, and within fifteen minutes she was asleep.

Kain sighed. It was going to be a long night.

The day dawned just as cloudy as the previous one. Rain was expected to continue, and the temperature was supposed to be unseasonably low yet again. Kain was briefly disoriented when his eyes first opened. He glanced around the room, unsure of where he was. Then he heard the faint breathing of his bed partner, and turned towards her. It came back to him then. Kain was the type that needed at least a pot of coffee before he was able to function. The previous night had been like no other night he had ever spent.

He took advantage of her still being asleep, and he looked at her. The play of shadows on her face from the window only enhanced her beauty. In repose, her face was soft, void of the harsh lines of worry. Her dark lashes cast light shadows on the upper crests of her cheeks, and her full lips were slightly parted, giving only the faintest glimpse of white teeth. Her hair was a rats nest under her head, and he smothered a laugh at the unromantic thought. She was gorgeous, and she didn't know it. He knew when her eyes finally opened, they would be that intriguing mix of brown and gold and green.

He also knew when she awoke, that worry would give her a line between her eyebrows, and there would be the look of a trapped animal in her eyes. She was literally afraid of a relationship. No matter. He would move slow, and she would be his. His mother would be ecstatic. Kain rolled his eyes affectionately at the thought.

A gentle beep came from the radio across the room. Every few seconds it got a little louder, but it never became shrill like most alarm clocks. Kain again smiled to himself. That's exactly how he would have to move with her; slow and steady. During his perusal of her, he'd got himself into the position of again being aroused, and he was hoping it would mostly go away before the alarm beeped her awake. Then she stirred.

"Mmmmmmm."

Her lips closed as she stretched, and that purr of pleasure was almost his undoing. Kain swallowed hard, and knew there wasn't a snowballs chance in hell of his erection leaving. Ever.

Nadine's eyes blinked open slightly, she gave him a sleepy smile, then rolled over to her other side. She relaxed into the pillow and gave another hum of pleasure. Her movements were sleek and gentle. Then in a fraction of a second, she bolted up and turned to look at him. Her eyes wide, disbelieving.

"It wasn't a dream."

Kain burst out laughing.

"I mean.. er, good morning." Nadine slumped back down onto her stomach and kept her face towards him.

"Good morning. You slept like a log." Kain grinned.

"I feel like I did. I haven't felt this refreshed in a long time." She smiled again.

Kain was impressed. She didn't look like a caged animal. Yet. He rolled onto his side so he didn't have to turn his head and look down at her.

"So what are we doing today, beautiful?"

"I hadn't thought quite that far. Well, other than wanting to get my hair cut. It's a mess."

"That's okay by me. I was thinking we could get some pumpkins and carve them. I'll even roast the seeds. I know how to make a great glaze to put on them." Kain reached out and brushed a wayward strand of hair from her face.

"That sounds like a lot of fun. I haven't done that in years." Nadine smiled. "I bet you'd like to get some clothes from your house first though."

"Actually... I have some out in my car. I didn't want to be presumptuous, but I guess I was. I just didn't bring pj's because I didn't figure I'd be wearing any." Kain laughed, and she joined in.

"Ya learned your lesson, I take it?"

"Definitely. Well, why don't you hop in the shower, I'll grab my clothes and start coffee, and we'll get this show on the road."

"Kain, it's only seven."

"So what? We have a lot to do today."

Nadine laughed, and impulsively leaned forward and brushed a light kiss across his mouth. He hadn't overcome his shock before she was away from him and into the bathroom. That's how it was going to have to go. She was going to have to take the lead. Because he was not willing to scare her and ruin his chances.

Kain flopped onto his back and smiled. Today was going to be amazing.

After the pair had their coffee, showers, and breakfast, they decided on a place in the mall for Nadine to get her hair cut. That way Kain could browse other stores while he waited. As the stylist called Nadine back, Kain leaned over and dropped a kiss to her temple and told her to call him when she was done, and they could meet up. She wanted her unveiling to be a surprise.

Kain wandered through a couple sports stores, then a shoe store, then a hat store... He was dying to see what she would look like with a new 'do. She was going to be outstanding.

Nadine's hair was naturally wavy, and she used that to her advantage. It made styling easy, when she had to do anything at all. At this stage, it was down to her bra strap, which was the longest it had been in years. She wanted a change. She wanted to be a whole new woman. Finally she was done and called Kain. He said he was right next door and he would wait for her on a bench out front.

He saw her before she spotted him. His eyes drifted up her body, from her black boots, nicely fitted jeans, orange sweater with the pumpkin pin on her chest, and finally to her hair. It was cut to just below her shoulders, lots of layers, framed around her face, and she'd had bangs cut. The were straightened and swept off to one side, while the rest of it waved and curled, enhancing her natural beauty.

The most amazing thing was her demeanor. She came out of that salon, and he could tell she felt beautiful. And she was right. His eyes widened, and she spotted him. A smile drifted over her lips, and he stood as she took the last few steps to him.

"What do you think?"

"I think it's gorgeous. I think I love you." Kain's mouth lifted into a lopsided grin.

Nadine smiled and caught her bottom lip between her teeth. "I like it."

"I do too."

"I feel beautiful again."

"I can tell."

Nadine's tongue peeked out, wetting her lips. Kain couldn't stop himself. He leaned down and pressed his lips to hers. The longest the connection had ever been. He was ready to pull back when she took another tiny step closer and wrapped her arms around his neck. With a groan, Kain caught her around the waist and pulled her up against him. His mouth claimed hers. She sighed a little, then parted her lips, and Kain was right there, his tongue slipping, tasting, meeting hers.

Nadine pulled back slightly, and they gave each other a few light pecks before breaking apart. Kain caught her hand and held it.

"Where to now?"

"Pumpkins."

The couple went to a local farm, did the little hay ride and chose their own pumpkins. Kain was willing to run to a store to save the getting dirty part, but Nadine told him it was un-American and against holiday tradition. How was he to refuse such a gorgeous woman? So with eight pumpkins resting in the back of his truck, they headed back to Nadine's house.

"Where are we doing this?"

"I'd say the front porch. That way if anything drops off the table, it doesn't matter."

"Sounds good. Point me to the trash bags." Kain had parked in front of the house, and was busy unloading their goodies.

"Under the sink. Grab three. I'm going to change into a shirt that doesn't mind getting goopy." Nadine set the pumpkin she carried on the patio and headed into the house.

By the time she came out from changing into a tee-shirt, Kain had spread two of the trash bags out on the table, and had the other set, ready for the pulp. He'd gotten an assorted collection of different sized knives, the potato peeler, spoons, a couple markers, and a bowl for the seeds.

"Wow. I don't think I could have been this prepared. You're a professional pumpkin carver, I do believe." Nadine laughed and hefted a couple pumpkins onto the table.

Kain had removed his shirt, and was just wearing his tee-shirt also. The temperature had climbed out of the forties against what the weathermen said, and the sun had peeked out.

"I am. I get invited to my oldest sister's house every year, because Uncle Kain carves the best pumpkins. Most of my nieces and nephews are too young to use a knife, so they tell me what they want, and I carve for them. Last year, my niece that had just turned three wanted hers to be a bunny. That was the hardest request yet." Kain laughed, and Nadine joined in.

"How many do you have again?"

"Twelve. My oldest sister has five, the youngest has four, and my brother has three. His wife is about seven months pregnant though."

"Wow. That sounds... like family get-togethers are busy." Nadine smiled as she started cutting out the top of the pumpkin.

"Oh they are." Kain smiled as he followed suit. "It's amazing, crazy, wonderful chaos."

"You sound like you relish the role of uncle." Nadine was elbow deep in pumpkin goop.

"I do. Nadine, don't think I'm being nosy, but.. Are you interested in having kids?"

Nadine's head jerked up. "Why do you ask?"

"I was just wondering. That's one thing we haven't discussed." Kain noted a strange look in her eye. Almost like she felt guilty.

"Oh. Right." Nadine scooped pumpkin guts with gusto. Little did Kain know she'd been contemplating what it would be like to raise a family with him. "I am interested. It's just.. Well, it just never happened."

Kain reached across the table, and rested his sticky hand on her wrist.

"Probably because it wasn't meant to."

Nadine's gaze flew up to meet Kain's kind, grass green eyes. Nadine felt the sting of tears, and she blinked rapidly, looking away.

"You're probably right." She swallowed hard.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you."

"You didn't. I just realized at that moment how right you are about that. I hadn't looked at it that way."

They shared a small smile, and Nadine cleared her throat.

"What about you? Big dreams for a big family?"

"Not necessarily big. I would like at least one. I think carrying on the family name would be nice, and the thought of a little person that is part me, part someone I love very much sounds just about perfect."

"It sure does." Nadine spoke before she thought, and her face flushed.

For a while they carved with idle chit chat, punctuated by laughter. The day was beginning to cool, and so they moved the party inside. Nadine lit a few candles, giving the room a warm, home-y glow. Soon the scent of pumpkin pie and mulled cider wafted through their cozy nook. They gave each other a hard time about what they were carving. When Nadine carved a cat, Kain carved a mouse. When she carved a spider, he carved a butterfly. The laughter continued while Kain brewed a pot of coffee, taking Nadine's good natured ribbing as it came.

"Kain, I don't think I've had a better day. I haven't laughed this much since.. Yesterday." Nadine grinned, starting the clean up process.

They sipped their coffee, cleaned up the mess, and set the pumpkins around the house. They met at the sink and stood side by side washing their hands and arms. Finally it was time to sit and relax.

"So, Kain.. Are you staying again tonight?"

"Wow, you got straightforward since yesterday." Kain laughed.

"I did. So are you?"

Kain sat beside her on the couch and leaned into her. "Do you want me to?"

"I do." Nadine leaned in and rubbed the tip of her nose across his.

"No pressure."

"None."

"What about work?"

"I'll go, and so will you. Then you can come back here." Nadine smiled.

"I'll happily drive forty-five minutes to get back to you." Kain tipped his head and gave her a light kiss. "I will have to go get clothes from my apartment though."

"That's fine. Enough for maybe more than one day?"

"Why, Miss Woodrow, you're sounding like you enjoy my company." Kain smirked.

"I do, Mr. Monroe. A lot. More than a lot actually."

"Well, how about I just move in, then it'll solve all our problems?" Kain smiled and nudged her playfully, only half kidding.

"Would you want to, really?"

Kain was surprised she sounded that eager, but he wasn't going to look a gift horse in the mouth.

"Nadine, I think I fell in love with you the first day we talked. There was something about you... I couldn't put my finger on it, but it was special. You are special." Kain took a deep breath. "If you would want me to, I'd move in with you in a heartbeat. I wouldn't care that I had to commute to work, I wouldn't even mind getting a job closer. If it would mean I could look at you whenever I wanted, I'd do it."

"Kain, I didn't know until yesterday how much I really liked you. I think I'm in love with you, and I have been too scared to admit it. Meeting you has probably been the best thing that has ever happened to me. I'm tired to letting Don's actions dictate my life, and I'm ready to be my own woman. And the woman in me says she loves you, and if you want to move in, I'll clear out half the closet."

"A whole half?" Kain grinned, and Nadine playfully punched him.

"And even some drawers." Nadine smiled.

"Isn't it supposed to be the other way around? Aren't you supposed to move in with me?"

"I think so. But hell, who's keeping track?"

"And a house will probably be better. More room for the kids."

"Kain!" Nadine giggled as he tickled her.

"I'm kidding. We won't start trying for that for a day or two."

"You shush."

"How about we do it on a trial basis. Say, for a month? I'll keep my apartment, just in case, and by then we'll know if we really want to do this."

"That sounds like a great idea." Nadine gave him a small peck on the cheek. "Now. Make me dinner."

"Pizza?"

"Again?" Nadine laughed. "It doesn't matter to me. I do need to throw some laundry in though."

Kain went for the phone, calling in an order for Chinese from a flyer on the refrigerator, and Nadine headed to the laundry room. She went ahead and threw his clothes from the day before in with her first load.

"I guess I'll have to get new laundry detergent."

"Why's that?" Kain glanced up from wiping down the kitchen counter where they had missed some pumpkin pulp.

"You probably won't want to smell like lavender all the time."

"Probably not. I'd rather smell it on you." Kain smiled and laid the dish rag over the edge of the sink.

"I wish it was the weekend. That way we could go to your house and move your things." Nadine fiddled with the slim silver band on her thumb.

"I want to have a going away party for myself. Invite my family We could have it at my apartment, and it would give everyone a chance to meet you."

"That sounds wonderful. Have you told them about me?"

"Yeah. I have. My mom is pretty excited. This will shoot her to the moon."

"I've mentioned you also. Everyone is relieved I am sort of coming out of hiding. And they're going to love you."

Kain propped his hips against the ledge of the counter.

"Would you mind if I called my mom, told her the news now?"

"No, no, not at all. I'll get the door if the food gets here. Oh, and I put your clothes in with mine. Did I tell you that already? I'm so happy I've gotten goofy."

"You were always goofy." Kain grabbed her hand and gave her a squeeze as he walked past.

"You're lucky I know what a good guy you are since you love your mommy so much." Nadine laughed.

"Trust me. I don't have a choice. You're going to love her too. And my whole family is going to sweep you into their arms when they meet you."

"I hope so."

~*~*~

The week passed quickly for Nadine. She had busied herself clearing out half of everything. Well, it wasn't quite half the closet, but it was close enough. Kain came home to her house every day after work, and they spent the evenings together. He also stayed overnight. As of yet, they hadn't moved to that next stage of their relationship. Being intimate was something they both took very seriously.

All week Kain and lugged boxes with him, and while he was commuting Nadine was busy putting his things away. It was weird to see a man's clothes resting with hers, and she had to laugh when she made space on her shelves for baseball memorabilia. Since they were both off for the weekend, Nadine was driving to his apartment Friday night. They were going to pack some more, spend the night there, and Saturday was the 'meet the family' party. After that, they planned to take the loads of stuff to her house. Sunday evening Nadine's mom was throwing a 'welcome to the neighborhood' party for Kain so that her family could meet him. Finally they both decided to take a week of vacation because after all that excitement on the weekend, they were going to drag ass on Monday.

The day of Kain's party, Halloween was a week away, his apartment was almost bare, and Nadine was a nervous wreck. They went shopping because she wanted something new and nice to wear. She hadn't worried much about her appearance for the past year, and her closet was in need of a make over. She bought a new pair of charcoal gray dress pants, and sage green sweater. She even splurged on some new jewelry. It was weird getting ready at Kain's apartment, and as she flipped her head over to blow dry her hair, she couldn't help but smile.

After the year she had had, she deserved some happiness. And Kain was the best kind of medicine. Instinctively she knew he wouldn't hurt her in any way. She knew they'd get married, have kids, and grow old together. It was strange how quickly she knew this for a certainty, since they'd only officially 'met' a week ago.

"Hey honey?" Kain hollered over the drone of the dryer.

"Yeah?"

"I love you."

Nadine looked up from under her hair and smiled. "I love you too."

"You have about ten minutes. Give or take. My money is on my mother walking through that door in about three." Kain grinned then shoved off the doorjamb.

Nadine shook her head and gave her hair a few more passes with the dryer. Flipping herself upright, she checked out her reflection.

Tussled waves. Check. Volume. Check. Make up. Check. Cute new outfit. Check. Nadine moved to her jewelry and was just slipping on the necklace when the front door burst open.

"Kain! Where is she? I cannot wait to get my eyes on this gorgeous thing."

"Gee Ma, it's nice to see you too." Kain leaned and kissed his mother's cheek.

"Of course, it's nice to see you too. Where is she?"

Nadine hung back for a second and checked the woman out. Beverly Monroe stood about five-foot-two, wore dress slacks and a powder blue sweater, and had the biggest brooch of a butterfly Nadine had ever seen. Her gray hair was cut into a short bob, and she wore quite a bit of make up. If she remembered correctly, Beverly was sixty-three, and Kain had described her as a firecracker. Nadine could tell.