Dreams of Destiny Pt. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She closed her eyes and fell into a half sleep. Ordinarily her mind would have wandered during such an interlude. This time her mind went completely blank. She saw nothing but darkness. She stayed too long in the water and began to get dizzy. Blackness swirled in head and she came close to losing consciousness. Some change in the atmosphere brought her back full consciousness with a start.

She got up out of the pool and wrapped a towel around herself. She didn’t bother looking for night clothes she just slid into the ornate bed naked and still damp from her bath. Within minutes she was almost asleep.

She was in such a state where her aura could most easily slid free of her body. John’s shade had been waiting for Destiny to reach this fugue-like state. He came out of the corner where he had been resting and reserving his aura’s waning energy for a meeting with Destiny.

John approached the bed. He called softly to Destiny as he reached out and grasped Destiny’s wrists. He pulled lightly and her aural came off of her with ease.

Destiny’s consciousness came with her aura. She sobbed as they enfolded each other in a warm embrace. “John, thank God you’re here. I sensed your presence but ignored it, not wanting to clue Stephen in that you made it through the gate.

They held each other for a long moment. The moment was beautiful, despite the desperate circumstances. When two energy bodies merge, as theirs did, there is a tremendous charge that goes beyond the energizing that occurs in physical orgasm.

When they finally broke physical contact John said “Christ, Destiny, I would have killed him if I had been able.” Watching what Stephen had done to Destiny and being unable to help was one of the worst things John had ever experienced. “I’m so sorry, baby, are you okay? How badly did that fucker hurt you?” She started to cry then. He held her until her sobbing quieted. “God, if only all of me had gotten through the vortex. I’d have stopped him dead. But there wasn’t time to get through the vortex physically. I was waiting in the Court’s cafeteria hoping to talk to you after my shift when Stephen nabbed you. Stephen’s sneak attack was totally unexpected. He’s much more powerful now than I thought.”

“I know. He had me fooled for a little while. He almost got me with a vision of good works and children. He showed his hand a little to much, though, when he started to talk about dynasties. I remembered a snippet of a dream that’s bothered me for years. It was a dream that my children had horrible little snake creature half siblings. I thing Stephen has an asp as a consort her in his demonic realm.”

“I know. I’ve seen it too. His humanity is very deeply buried now within that twisted heart of his.”

“All that’s left of him are his desire for me and his desire for power. The two impulses are incompatible as things stand. He and I are at an impasse because he can’t alter my nature without my consent. He can’t rob me of my free will. That is the only thing saving me.”

“Now that I am here we may have an advantage,” John pointed out. Especially since Stephen doesn’t know I’m here. The problem is my time is growing very short. My cord is tugging hard at me. There may come a point that I will have to sever the line.”

“You can’t do that!” Destiny cried. Your body will die. You could get stuck here like so many of Stephen’s guests. How he’d love that” He’d do anything to have your soul here to torment. If your cord calls again you have to go back. That’s the only way you’ll be able to continue to help me. You’ve been here before in you sleep, and now your aura knows the way. You can leave and come back if necessary.”

“I guess I could do that.”

“You’ll have to. You can’t stay here and let your body die. That’s suicide.”

“But it’s for a greater cause. That should count for something. If I stay and help you get free and rid the world of Stephen, I will accomplish something worthwhile.”

“No,” Destiny said. “Think about it. That’s not an option. You don’t even know if you can help me with only your spirit. You must go back when you are called.”

“We can’t let Stephen win. We have to get you out of here.”

“But I can’t go. The door is locked and I can’t manipulate it. Stephen’s power is too great here in his lair. What should we do?” Destiny asked.

“Maybe we should explore the lair a bit. There must be some visitors with enough of a grudge against Stephen to want a chance to hurt him and win their freedom.” Exploration will also give me a better idea of where in space we are and how I might get back here if have to leave for a while

Destiny and John left Destiny’s bed chamber by slipping though the door of the cave entrance. Drifting like wisps of smoke, they took several turns around the vast cavern Stephen called home. None of the guests or visitors paid any attention to the shades.

“I guess we’ll be on our own if we get a chance to make a break for it, John said with disappointment.

“But at least they won’t be acting as an army for Stephen. He was rather short sighted when he took all free will from these poor entities” said Destiny. “They’ll probably let us pass even if Stephen orders them to impede us. Some may even follow us out and increase the confusion we leave in our wake.”

“Maybe. But just how do you propose we get you out of here. I mean, I can go at any time. Your aura could accompany me. But ultimately your body would die here. I don’t want to loose you again. We don’t even know if we would be together in the next turn of the wheel. We’ve fought long and hard to be together. Let’s get you out of here and find a way to finish Stephen for good.” Unfortunately, neither of them had a good idea of how to accomplish their goal.

“And if we do vanquish Stephen, what’s next? Destiny asked. Are you going to disappear on me the way you did in Florida after the killings in the amusement park? Destiny felt a sudden surge of rage at the situation she was in. She directed it at John. “What happened, anyway? You promised me you’d call after things were sorted out about those murders. Instead you went on an 18 year wild goose chase for the serial killer. We lost all that time that time we could have been together, learning, and growing strong.”

“I didn’t intentionally disappear on you,” John tried to explain. “The amusement park experience became a dream to me just as it did to you. I didn’t even know you when I saw you again in San Angeles and in DC. I don’t know why we were denied knowledge of each other all these years damn it. I’m not the author of this twisted tale any more than you are.”

“As far as dealing with Esteban in St. Angles, I couldn’t accuse my brother of being a killer without proof, which I lacked. The people of my country would not have stood for that. And Stephen thwarted me over and over again in the Florida time line. I never got enough information to identify him. I had an idea who he was. That’s why I moved to DC. But he was very good at intrigue. He’s had the best teachers.”

“So you just let him go about his dirty business for all those years in the hope that you could improve the future?” Destiny asked angrily.

“Yes” said John, “And I’d do it all again if necessary If the ultimate good outweighs the present disadvantages There is always more than one side to consider. Accommodations have to be made for goals to be achieved.”

“You sound like a fucking bureaucrat.” Destiny said accusingly.

“I am a bureaucrat. Bureaucracies are necessary for civilizations to flourish.”

“Yes. but bureaucracies become redundant and outdated as time passes. They become huge ravening creatures feeding upon themselves and on society if they are not kept in check.”

“That’s not my problem John said with a shrug.

“What about on the island. You’re a powerful man there. If things go your way you’ll be even more powerful in a very short time. If your bureaucracy becomes a feeding creature, what will you do? “ Destiny asked pointedly.

“Hope that the beautiful woman at my side will kick me in the ass and make me see my short comings” he said to disarm her anger.

“Hah! she laughed. Who would want to be at the side of the indomitable Juan Rodriguez?”

“I have in mind a leggy ex-government attorney I happened to meet while she was vacationing on the island two years ago”

“Oh, is that right? Destiny said huffily. What about her long term lover and her job in DC?”

“That guy? She threw him over the first time Rodriguez got his hands in her pants.” As for the job. She hated bureaucracies anyway, so...” John let out a laugh.

“She was wearing a dress.”

“You’re right.”

“But seriously” Destiny asked, most of her anger gone now, “what are you planning to do about Esteban on the island.”

“That will be moot if we get Stephen here.”

“Will it?” Destiny asked.

“Christ, I don’t know. Do we have to destroy Esteban as well as Stephen?”

“And what if we don’t succeed here? I’ll be out of the picture one way or the other.” She frowned at the thought.

“Don’t even think it”

“But I will, at least for a time. You’ll have to neutralize Esteban for there to be any hope of preventing disaster in this go round.”

If we don’t succeed here with you, I’ll do it on the island” John vowed. As he spoke, John’s form was given a hard yank by his cord. “Oh no, I have to go back” he said.

“What should I do?” asked Destiny?

“Play for time. Try to get hold of a weapon. Damn it, I don’t want to leave you. I should stay.”

“You mustn’t!”

“I’ll be back. Maybe I’ll be able to bring help.”

With that Stephen’s shade disappeared from the room. Destiny wished him well, trying not to give in to despair.

Her eyes swept the cave, looking for any sort of weapon to use against Stephen when he returned. She didn’t think much of the odds that John could make it back here in one form or another to assist her. He’d be sadly depleted from such a long out of body experience. If he wanted to come physically he’d have to make a vortex and then find a gate.God, my head hurts, Destiny thought. She felt abandoned, alone and forlorn. And so very, very angry. Finally, she slipped back onto her body and fell into a deep sleep filled with troubling dreams....

Chapter XXIII

Destiny was in a huge ballroom filled with people of all races and nationalities. There must have been a hundred people in the room. It was late evening. Dinner had been a huge success. Her husband, Stephen, was making great strides in the political community of Washington, DC. They had met on top of a snowy mountain in Colorado 10 years ago. He had helped her down the steep slope and later taught her to ski. She had fallen in love with him easily. She’d called him her golden man.

Destiny had been working as an attorney for the Environmental Protection Agency at the time. Stephen ran a medium sized recording company with offices all over the country including LA, Miami and Washington, DC. They had married after dating for two years. They had two children, Lisa, age 7 and Stephen, age 4, who were adorable. Destiny had quit her law practice to raise the children. Recently Stephen had stepped down as president of his company to run for Senator on the Republican ticket. Destiny had been putting in a lot of hours by his side helping his candidacy and was happy to be doing something challenging again.

Marriage to Stephen was not all that Destiny had expected, but what was, she chided herself. She had the kids, money, work. If Stephen was not exactly the man she’d thought he was, well, every upside has its downside. Stephen loved the children. He treated her with respect -- usually. He hadn’t hit her lately, he didn’t dare with the election coming up. It was truly a shame she thought that she was happier when he was traveling than when he was home, but that was the truth and she had to face it. She had long ago closed her eyes and her mind to whatever it was he did when he was out of town.

This night was a promotional ball for Stephen’s candidacy. The orchestra was just starting up another waltz when an incredibly handsome man in a dark blue suit stepped into the ballroom. Unlike the rest of the guests, he was not wearing formal evening wear. He was about age forty, very tall and well built. He had black wavy hair and blue eyes. His eyes swept the room and captured hers in an instant. Her heart began to pound. She smiled and began to walk towards him.

They met in the middle of the room. An unexpected flash of excitement coursed through Destiny. He gave her a winning grin.

“”Mrs. Williams, I am John Rodgers, FBI. May I speak to your husband?”

“My husband? Why do you want to speak with Stephen?”

“That’s something you will have to ask him, ma’am. Where is he?”

“Why don’t you step into the library?” I’ll show you the way. Would you like some refreshment?”

“No thank you.”

They walked out of the ballroom and into the marvelously furnished, two storied library. Destiny had a passion for antique books. The library had special cabinets and environmental controls which maintained her valuable tomes.

“This is a beautiful collection,” John said as he glanced over the shelves.

“Thank you. I’ll go get my husband. Please, have a seat.”

She left the room and went in search of Stephen. She found him in the kitchen nuzzling a little blond waitress.

“Jesus Christ, Stephen! Can’t you keep you libido in check for five minutes? she asked disgustedly. And you, miss. I just may forget to pay you for your work tonight. Get your ass out of my kitchen.”

The girl went running out of the room.

“What’s the problem Destiny? You don’t want me in bed any more.”

“I might if you weren’t such a brute. Goddamn you. What if the children saw you? Or the guests! Is that how you’re going to behave if you win the senatorial seat?”

“Probably. Did you want me for something or did you just come in to piss me off?”

“There’s someone to see you in the library.”

“Who is it?”

“I don’t know.” Destiny wasn’t sure why she didn’t warn him that John was from the FBI. She was wildly curious and decided to walk along with Stephen and find out what the story was.

Stephen opened the door to the library.

“Hello shit head,” John said to Stephen.”

Stephen tensed. “What the fuck are you doing here?”

“It took me a while to find you, you son of a bitch. This is for Lizzy.” John pulled out an automatic with a silencer and shot Stephen in the chest.”

Destiny stood frozen like a statue. She couldn’t believe her eyes. Stephen was flat on the floor in a pool of crimson blood which was growing larger by the second. She felt not a twinge of sorrow. She looked at John, her eyes huge

“Well, aren’t you going to scream, cry, call the police? For Christ’s sake, do something.”

“Aren’t you going to shoot me too?”

“And get blood over that beautiful gown? Hell no.”

Who’s Lizzy?”

“A girl I thought I loved. A singer. He ruined her.”

“You’d better get out of here. Does anyone know you were coming? Did anyone see you come in?”

“No. What, you mean you’d let me...?”

“How well did you know him?”

“Well, maybe I see your point. But how are you going to explain this?”

“I don’t know. Maybe I won’t have to. Let me see that gun. The gun” she repeated.” Let me see it” she said with excitement.” All of a sudden Destiny recognized John and Stephen from other dreams and was starting to remember her predicament in the demon’s chamber. “I think you were sent to me by way of the back door to help me out of a sorry predicament, John,” she said.

“I think you’re crazy.”

“I’m crazy? Who just came in and shot my husband. Don’t you recognize me, John?”

“Recognize you? I just met you five minutes ago. No. I’m out of here. Have nice life, lady.”

“Leave me the gun. I’m going to need it. That’s why you’re here.”

He handed her the gun. She closed her eyes tight and concentrated on the gun and on the cave in Stephen’s lair. Sure enough, everything began to twist and turn. Destiny opened her eyes. She was in bed in the cave. Yes! She had been able to bring the gun through the dream shift. Somehow John had gotten the help to her he had promised.

She looked the gun over carefully. She didn’t know much about side arms, but this did not look like standard weaponry. It seemed to be made of something that was neither metal nor plastic. It felt odd in her hands. It was lighter than she expected and almost slippery. She would have to handle it carefully, she thought. She checked the clip. She didn’t know enough about munitions to gather any information about what she had. She supposed it would be sufficient to do a lot of damage to Stephen if only she got the chance to use it.

Now what? she wondered. What time is it anyway? She glanced at her watch. 10:00 o’clock. already. Stephen said she should be ready for him at mid day. Ready she would be she thought.

Destiny was glad she had bathed the night before. She didn’t want to take the chance of being naked and vulnerable when Stephen walked into the cave.What should I wear? she wondered.Something with pockets. Something I can move in. Something feminine enough to put Stephen at ease. She opened the closet and began her search. The closet contained an inordinate amount of evening gowns and lounge wear.Stephen doesn’t want me to be much more than an ornament for his arm and a playmate for his bed, that’s for sure, Destiny thought.

After much searching, Destiny found a long royal blue soft cotton skirt that was split in the middle and had two huge side pockets. It was accompanied by a turquoise and blue blouse that was loose and comfortable. She put on the sneakers she’d worn the night before. She dressed and groomed her hair, braiding it and then swirling the braid into a tight bun. She well remembered Stephen’s penchant for grabbing her braid. She didn’t want her hair to be a liability if they got into hand to hand combat.

She walked over to the full length mirror in the bathing room. The outfit suited her height She put the gun in her pocket and looked to see if it made an obvious bulge. It didn’t.Good. Then she practiced pulling the gun out of her pocket in as many ways as she could think might arise.Look out Annie Oakley, she thought with little humor. She wondered if she would really be able to kill Stephen in cold blood.Doesn’t that make me as bad as him?

Isn’t there any other way, she wondered, sadly.. She doubted it, knowing what Stephen wanted of her. He wanted her to be sex toy, a partner in his deviance. He wanted her to further his political aspirations by being a charming wife and mother, while turning a blind eye to his depravities. He wanted her to be a cruel and heartless queen in this realm helping him dispatch lost souls and living a pretty, empty soulless eternity. She couldn’t do it.

Nothing to do now but wait, she thought.I wonder what John’s doing. I wish he could get back here for the fight. I’d be a whole lot happier facing Stephen with John’s help. Destiny was feeling more alone and frightened than she could ever remember.

She continued to consider her options. She could remain Stephen’s prisoner without acceding to his will. She realized if she did that she would have night after night of unsatisfying dreams about life as Stephen’s wife, or mistress or whatever, and empty days in this chamber considering her fate and wondering what was happening with John and Juan and wishing for escape. That option was as bad as acquiescing to Stephen.

At least if she acquiesced she could get out of here, and maybe free without having to kill Stephen.No, the risks were too high. She and Stephen together could do immeasurable damage to the fabric of the universe. She remembered some of the deadliness she had seen in Stephen’s eyes yesterday. Children. Yes, but to grow up as what? Cruel, even evil despots. No. She would not be Stephen’s queen.