Dreams of Destiny Pt. 12

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

“The fabric is always in flux. Pressure here will cause a reaction there. There are currents and eddies and tides. How much impact can one individual have upon the momentum of the universe? Immeasurable. Each is like a very tiny pebble in a large pool, causing its own ripples. Each action, each possible action, each thought, each dream, has its impact upon the fabric of the universe.

“Some of our lives are interconnected. Paths cross and re-cross. Is this by accident or by design? I can’t answer that question. But just as the crystal has a structure, there is a structure to the fabric of the universe. We are all a part of it. We always have been in one form or another.

Dreams? Who is to say what is a dream and what is real? Our existence is both.

When you come to realize this you have taken a long step on the path we are all required to walk. It lends some measure of control over the dream phenomena. You experienced that yesterday, Destiny, when you found you could morph yourself into a flame or a panther; and again when you opened a vortex. These abilities will be available to you both now that you have come to a certain point of awareness.

“This does not mean that you can decide to blink and change the landscape if you don’t like the view. But in extremis you will find you have the tools you need to accomplish what you set out to do.

“The accelerated dream shifts over the past few days were the culmination of events that happened years ago. The time has come to eradicate the evil created when Stephen became a demon. This is the task that was set forth before you in this dreamline. It is good that all three alter egos are embodied in Esteban now. That will make your task easier.

“But you must remember, the outcome of this particular turn of the wheel has yet to be decided. Tread carefully, however you chose to act. The balance can easily be tipped in the wrong direction.

“And then what happens?” Juan asked brusquely.

The crystal ball on the table began to glow blue, like the ocean surrounding San Angeles Island. Dr. Phaeton stood up and walked back behind his desk. The blue grew and grew until it encompassed Destiny and Juan. Destiny and Juan found themselves standing in the sun on the sandy road that leads up to the plantation owned by Juan’s father. It was a hot sunny, sultry afternoon. Seagulls called listlessly in the distance, and mosquitoes started to make their presence known. There were dozens of native workers in the sugar cane fields on either side of the road. The Rodriguez villa was about a half mile away.

“Where are we Juan:, Destiny asked.

“This is my father’s plantation. I rarely come out here these days.” Juan replied.

“Watch out, Destiny yelped, jumping back. A long black snake slithered carouse the road directly in front of them. “God, I hate snakes,” Destiny shivered.

Juan picked up a branch to use in further encounters with snakes, and Destiny and Juan set out for the villa. They walked in silence. The heat was oppressive and the slight breeze was like a warm salty kiss.

It seemed to be about 5 o’clock when they arrived. They walked up the driveway. There was the stone fence Juan remembered so well. The old garden was gone. The house was at least a hundred years old. It had thick white stucco walls and a red tile roof. It was build as a square with a open courtyard in the center. The front porch was a magnificent mosaic sunburst pattern. Two large wooden carved doors opened into a sun lit hallway. There was a set of stairs to the second floor on the left. A passage way under the steps led to a large pantry and then to the corner kitchen, which was restaurant sized and fully modern.

Beyond the kitchen was a long, formal dining room with a elegant table large enough for 24 diners. The dining room was saved from being overly stiff by a wall of glass doors leading out to the courtyard. There was an impressive gas barbecue standing on an ancient mosaic patio just outside the doors. In the center of the courtyard there was a lovely little fountain which, combined with the abundant greenery and flowering plants, lent an air of peace to the residence. It bubbled and rushed in the stillness of the hot, late afternoon.

To the right of the front doors was a sitting room, a library, and a more formal living room in the corner. Beyond them were a rest room, and office and a couple of bedrooms. The back of the square was staff housing, which was modern and extremely comfortable. The upstairs had several bedroom suites with bathrooms and sitting rooms a sewing room, a music room and a couple of storage rooms. Destiny’s impression on first glance was that the house was cheerful and sunny and lighthearted.

Behind the villa was a luxurious grassy lawn and a barn. The villa kept a few cows and a good stable of thoroughbred horses. There was a ring where the horses were worked next to the barn. Beyond that the ground gradually dropped away and there was a path of white sand leading to a gazebo overlooking of small lake. Swans and ducks swam idly in the lake.

Destiny was enchanted by the beauty of the surroundings. Juan’s view, however, was jaded by rotten childhood memories. When they entered the house he ushered Destiny towards the kitchen rather than the family areas. He wasn’t exactly sure why he and Destiny were there. He wanted to find out when, in time they were.

As Juan entered the kitchen he almost knocked over the little cook, Rosalia. He steadied her with an apology. Rosalia looked shocked to see him. Then he received a long string of Spanish.

“Where have you been?” Rosalia wanted to know. “Everyone had been looking for you.” She wanted to know if he was here for tonight’s celebration of Esteban’s inauguration as president of San Angeles. She said she wasn’t sure celebration was called for, especially in light of so much recent tragedy.

“What are you talking about? What inauguration? What tragedy?” Juan asked

“Si, first your father and then the president’s assassination.”

Juan felt like he had been kicked in the stomach. “What are you talking about?” he asked. What happened to my father?

Rosalia looked at him, stricken. “You didn’t know? He killed himself, poor man. After that awful information came out accusing the president of incest, your father hanged himself in the barn. He left a letter admitting that he had been Katarina’s seducer and the child was his.”

“Christos,” Juan said hoarsely. I didn’t know about that. When did it happen.

“Just after you disappeared. Everyone said you took off after some gringo tourista.” She looked meaningfully at Destiny. Destiny smiled at Rosalia, not understanding a word of what was being said..

“I said you’d never have done that. I thought it was foul play. Things were bad between you and Esteban. Everyone knew that.

“This tourista was accused of bringing the documents onto the island falsely implicating the president in the scandal and you were linked romantically with the woman. People started to talk about you being behind the attempt to discredit you uncle, and causing your father’s suicide.

“Well, sympathy was high for the president, his brother dead and you maybe a traitor. Your uncle stood up for you though. He pretty much had things settled down, and then he was shot, dead, right outside the mansion.” Rosalia was crying at the memory.

“Who shot him?.”

“Oh it was a professional job. A sniper. And the president wasn’t properly protected that day. They never found a suspect.”

“Everything was in chaos after that. There was no one to govern. Esteban just strolled into the mansion the day of the funeral and said he was taking command. He had the army behind him even though he was only a major. He took his currency from the fact he was the president’s nephew. No one else seemed interested in the job anyway.

“He set up a special election to legitimize things pretty quickly. There was no one else on the ballot. Some choice. I think we should have elected nobody. Today he was inaugurated. Tonight we celebrate. So, you came back just in time, didn’t you?,” she said in disgust. Then she threw her arms into the air and walked away cursing.

“Madre Dios, this cannot be happening,” Juan said in despair.

“What?” Destiny asked in concern. Tell me what’s wrong.”

Juan summarized what he had been told by Rosalia.

“That’s why we’re here” Destiny said “To see what happens if we don’t succeed against Esteban.”

A shadow appeared in the doorway of the kitchen. Esteban walked in carrying a class of champagne.He looks like he’s in fine form, Destiny noted sourly. Esteban was dressed in full regalia. He looked sleek like a mountain lion in the prime of its life. Juan wanted to punch the self-satisfied look off Esteban’s face.

“Esteban.” Juan acknowledged his brother with distaste.

“Brother,” Esteban said mockingly, “you honor us with your presence. You’re back, but you’re too late. I’m president and you’re nothing. And Destiny, my treasure. I’ve missed you.” His eyes were cold.

“Oh go jump off a bridge,” Destiny said. Esteban paled slightly at the reference. He laughed ruefully.

“Your caught me short twice,” Esteban acknowledged. “First you escaped me and then you shot me. You won’t get the jump on me a third time. I’m much stronger now. Allowing my alter egos to merge was a mistake. He took a large drink of wine and lifted his glass to her. Join me Destiny. Come with me voluntarily and I might let Juan live.”

“Don’t threaten me, you slimy little bastard,” Juan said heatedly.

Esteban ignored him. His attention was fully focused on Destiny.

There was a storm brewing out at sea. A gust of wind blew into the kitchen and thunder rumbled in the background. The sky was darkening. The clouds were wet and low. There was a flash of lightening and another roll of thunder.

“My inauguration today should have been a coronation.” He caught Destiny’s with his diamond like stare. It will be some day, I swear it. And you will place the crown on my head.”

“Not in this lifetime, you bastard, Destiny said with a low growl.” She was enraged. She aimed the heel of her hand at Esteban’s nose intending to send the bone through to his brain. but Esteban was too quick for her. He grabbed her wrist and twisted her arm cruelly behind her. He pulled her up close to his chest.

With a roar, Juan flattened Esteban with a fist to the temple. Esteban dropped like a sack of potatoes, Pulling Destiny down with him.

Juan helped Destiny right herself. Rosalia stood in a corner of the kitchen sobbing.

Juan and Destiny looked at each other. “What should we do?” Juan asked. He’s down and completely vulnerable. Should we end it here?”

“Do you mean kill him in cold blood?” Destiny asked, appalled at the suggestion. “I don’t know. Don’t you think that would make us just like him? Besides, then we wouldn’t have a chance to undo the harm he’s done here on the island. And we’d have to leave the island forever. If we stayed, we be tried for murder, I think. No, this is not the time or place to end things. We have to go back.”

“How do we do that?” Juan asked. “Go to bed and hope we wake up in the right place and time.

“I think that’s a little too arbitrary. But I don’t think Phaeton intended us to stay here.”

“Maybe we should sort of imagine ourselves back, Juan suggested. Clear our thoughts and focus on Dr. Phaeton and his office. Remember the crystal ball? That’s what brought us here. Concentrate on that.”

“Maybe we should click our heels together three times,” Destiny said dryly.

“No,” that only works for Kansas,” John replied.

Juan and Destiny held onto each other’s hands. They closed their eyes and concentrated on the crystal ball and Dr. Phaeton’s office. They experienced a swirling sensation, like they were caught in the center of a cyclone. The felt a quick, dizzying rush, and then they were back in their chairs in Phaeton’s office.

“Welcome back. What did you see?” the doctor asked eagerly.

“Let us catch our breath, will you,” Juan said. “I could use some water. How about you Destiny?”

“Yes. I’d like that. Juan stepped into the reception area and poured a couple of cups of water. He came back in and sat down.

“I’d like to record this if its okay with you,” Dr. Phaeton said to Destiny and Juan.

They agreed. Destiny looked at Juan. He should be the one to fill the doctor in on the tragedies that had occurred on San Angeles Island she thought

Juan’s narrative was curt and to the point. He spent a little time explaining their decision to leave Esteban rather than kill him as he lay unconscious. “That would have been a mean and cowardly thing to do.”

Destiny agreed.

“So where do you go from here?” Doctor Phaeton asked the couple.

“We want to go back to San Angeles. And at least I want to go there to stay.” Juan glanced meaningfully at Destiny. We have some things to tie up here first, and I don’t think we should just jump in and hope we get things right. We have to have some sort of plan.”

“I can’t go back to San Angeles immediately anyway, Destiny said. I have court obligations and clients to consider. Also, we have to be here for John’s funeral. And, there’s Aristotle to consider.”

“Pardon me?” the Doctor asked.

“I’ve inherited John’s sheep dog, Aristotle” Juan explained.

“Oh. Good luck. How are you going to get him to the island.”

“I don’t know.” Destiny and I are have airline tickets to San Angeles Island for a flight leaving on Sunday. I guess we should call the airline and see what they suggest.”

Juan and Destiny stood, ready to leave.

Dr. Phaeton took hold of Destiny’s hands. “Call on me if you need strength he told the pair. The coming events may be rough. But mark my words,” he said intently, “much harm will result if Esteban takes power on the island and if you become his queen. He looked at Juan. You must be strong and take control of San Angeles. You and Destiny will find a way to dispel the evil without falling off the path you are walking if you are stalwart and determined to preserver.

“We should get going, Destiny said.”

They took their leave and walked out into the beginning crush of rush hour in the city.

“I’d like to stop off and do some clothes shopping” Juan said as they approached the subway. “I’m sick of being stared at in this uniform. You’d think Americans had never seen a soldier before. And I’m broiling.”

“I’m not so sure it’s just the uniform they’re staring at,” Destiny laughed. A couple green haired of teen aged girls had just passed Juan and stared at him with their mouths agape. “You look pretty uncivilized in a yummy kind of way. I’ll have to be careful or I’ll lose you to some young soldier groupie. By the way, the beard becomes you.”

Juan grimaced. It was true he hadn’t shaved in two days, but he wasn’t planning on growing a beard. His whiskers were heavy and two days growth left quite a shadow on his face.

They rode the long elevator down into the subway station.

“I’m going to take care of the beard tonight,” Juan said.

“Oh no,” Destiny said with pretended sadness. “I was hoping to se how it feels on my face.”

“Its pretty rough,” Juan warned. “I’ll leave scratches on your tender parts.”

Destiny shivered in anticipation. “Promise?,” she asked huskily as they purchased fare cards.

“Sure” he purred back.. Now, where would be best for me to pick up a few items of clothing. I don’t want to travel all over town”

“Do you want me to go with you?” Destiny asked, hoping he’d say no.

“No, I know you have things to do.”

“You’re right. What kind of clothes are you looking for”

A train screeched into the station. Destiny and Juan picked up speed and ran toward the opening doors. They made it into the train just as the bell chimed and the doors closed. “Doors closing,” a pretty automated voice announced.

The car was crowded with sharply dressed commuters. Destiny and Juan had to stand shoulder to shoulder backed against the far doors of the train.

“I want to get something cool and casual, and I should get something I can wear to John’s funeral,” Juan said over the sound of the subway train. “Is there any place I can go that’s on the subway line?”

“Yes. Hechts, at Metro Center. You won’t even have to go outside. Just follow the signs in the station. Wait a minute. You don’t have any American currency, do you?”

“No, but I’ve got what I need. I have plastic.”

“Whatever did we do before credit cards?” Destiny wondered.

“I don’t know, but they sure work.”

“Metro Center’s the next stop. Do you know how to get back to my apartment when you’re done shopping?”

“Yes mother,” Juan teased.

“Well, I don’t want to lose you.”

“She cares! Juan said to the ceiling.

The train pulled into the station and the voice announced the obvious. “Doors opening.” Juan stepped out of the train and went off to do his shopping.

Destiny had a thought just as the doors of the train closed.Damn. I don’t have anything in the house for dinner. I’m just not used to planning for people who eat regular meals. I’ll have to pick something up at Union Station. I wonder what he likes to eat. Maybe some Mexican. No, too stereotypical. Seafood? He’s probably sick of it living on an island. The Chinese is lousy and I fed him pizza last night. I know. I’ll buy a picnic. Deli sandwiches, potato salad, green salad, some beer. I’ll put the card table up on the deck with a table cloth and some candles. We’ll eat late, after I finish my phone calls. We can watch the sun set.

The train arrived at Union Station and Destiny exited with the crush of commuters heading for suburban train lines. She made her way to the food court and ordered dinner. On her way home she stopped off at a little corner store for some beer and cat food. When she got home she picked up her mail and sorted through it, tossing bills into one pile, work related items in another, and throwing junk mail and other solicitations into the trash without opening them. She opened a beer and put the remaining 5 and the food in the refrigerator. She set up the deck for their meal before closing herself in her office.I’ll have to fit a trip to the grocery store in tomorrow.

She logged onto her computer and made some notes about upcoming cases. She checked her telephone messages. Both Elaine and Maria had left messages about John’s funeral on Saturday. After she finished listening to her messages she made a list of phone calls she needed to make.

One of the things Destiny found most frustrating about her job was the amount of time she spent playing telephone tag. She knew she would get answering machines on at least eight out of ten of the calls she made. Of the eight, five or six would call back within a day. But then she would often be in Court when the return calls came in. It was a never ending battle. She’d tried cell phones but found them distracting and expensive. And if you make all of your phone calls away from your billing program, you stand to lose income if you aren’t a meticulous record keeper.

God! The things they don’t teach you in law school, Destiny thought with a sigh. She realized there was much she wouldn’t miss about practicing law if she really did decide to stay in San Angeles.

Good Lord, I’m really thinking about it she realized.What would I have to do to get free of Superior Court, and how long would it take? I’d have to write motions to withdraw in all of my cases, and notify everyone. Turn over my files. Would I have to find myself a replacement? I hope not. I’d have to submit final bills in every case. Hey, if I do that, I might have a little chunk of money coming in. That’d be nice. I wouldn’t be stranded if things don’t work out with Juan. Oh please let it work out she wished.

Destiny could feel herself getting excited at the idea.I’ve always wanted to live at the beach. That’s where I feel most in tune with myself. There are all kinds of things I could do to generate income. I never got a chance to explore the island. I wonder what the market place is like? Maybe I could open a little shop catering to the tourist trade. I’ve got an eye for curios and antiques. That stuff sells great in tourist areas. Hey, this could work! Destiny felt a surge of emotional freedom that she’d never felt before. She felt like tossing everything to the wind and starting a whole new life.Why not?