Duplicity Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
wws_wws
wws_wws
167 Followers

Evelyn wasn't shocked by his frank assertion. It elicited a slight giggle from her instead. "The marriage market? Ah yes! I half expected someone to examine my teeth shortly!"

Evelyn was unaware a pool of moonlight from the large french windows had cast a pale halo around her when she smiled up at him. Her perfect white smile took Lord Davenport's breath away and drew him closer. He was having trouble keeping himself composed. Her lovely face mesmerized him. Her curvaceous body drew him closer. Her faint, light powdery scent intoxicated him. He quickly curbed his growing desire to assess the circumstance. It was not unheard of to seduce a debutant, but the consequences would be steep. There was usually an outraged father or guardian to demand honor upheld. However, if what Lady Warwick said was true, then Lady Evelyn's murky familial ties, meant there were fewer obstacles in his way. And she-- why, she seemed not in the least bit uncomfortable being alone with a man, a stranger at that.

"I'm told you only recently arrived from abroad? Where's home for you?" he asked.

She jerked her chin which called his attention once more to the elegant lines of her neck down to the swell of her supple breasts. His fingers itched to touch the supple twin globes. From his vantage, he could clearly see there were faint etching of an "E" on her gold necklace. If she noticed him looking, she made no indication of it. "You seem to know much about me and I know nothing of you, my lord. To whom do I have the honor of addressing? "

"You're presently reside with the Warwicks," he said instead of addressing her question, "But where you are from or who your people are remains in the dark. Would you at least give me your family name?"

Evelyn bit her lower lip with a slight frown. Even though neither his casual expression or his tone has changed, she suddenly felt uneasy under the heat and intensity of his icy-blue gaze. With her heart pounding loudly in her chest, she realized she was was very much alone out here with this strange man.

"You must pardon me, but I have trouble recollecting what I've said or didn't say to everyone I've met," she replied, slowly, carefully.

He moved closer and towered so close over her she could see clearly a shadow of stubble on his firm chin. "Or you are artfully dodging my questions. Quite skillfully I might add"

There were those dimples again though her smile was more hesitant now. "You give me too much credit, my lord. I'm not so interesting as you seem to think. I assure you after another week you will lose interest in me. There will always be someone younger, more beautiful and far more accomplished waiting in the wings." She nodded towards the general direction of the ballroom.

Lord Davenport followed her gaze back to the ballroom, all aglow with warm, dancing orange lights. Several silhouettes were rapidly approaching them. Without even thinking, he took ahold of her elbow and pulled her towards a set of french doors out onto a terrace before they could be detected. Evelyn didn't have time to object.

"What are you doing?" she asked more out of curiosity than alarm once they were out in the moonlight bathed flagstones. Out here, echos of the music and sounds from the ballroom vibrated from the stones under her feet. "I don't believe it's customary for a man to handle a young lady he just met. I-I don't even know your name, sir!"

He drew her, with a gentle tug, still further into the shadows of a well trimmed shrubbery. It took some will to keep his hand steady on her elbow when he desperately wanted to explore the rest of her.

"That is, if you are indeed a lady!" he said, his breath hot on her face.

"Sir!" Evelyn gasp as cold fear gripped her heart. One moment he had been so gentle and courteous, the next his whole demeanour turned dreadful.

"I know my lot and you, LADY Evelyn, are out of the norm." His tone remained soft, but his words were meant to be cruel. "You carry yourself well and you speak with impeccable cadences, but you are not quite right are you? Your story of being the late Lady Warwick's niece is convenient, as the lady could hardly return from the grave to contest your claim! But you've artfully dodged all further probing which leads me to believe you are deliberately hiding your origins."

"What an outrageous thing to say my lord! I will direct you to speak to Earl Warwick if you must!" she said, her voice warbled. How could she ever think he was pleasing in any way!

He sneered at her suggestion. "I would not rely on that invalid to give me the time."

She tried to wrestle her elbow out of his clutch, but he held her tight. His eyes grew darker. "Oh, I've observed you. You have studied the movements of an accomplished young lady, but you are not. What are you? A cunning demi-rep here to fascinate and seduce your betters? I know your type well, you see. Did your father, or whoever keeps you, devise a clever plan to lift you from your humble origins?"

Evelyn flushed hotly. "Is it so easy to infiltrate your set then?" she quipped sardonically. "I wonder why more haven't tried."

A corner of Lord Davenport's lips curled upwards in a half smile. He admired her attempt at self control. She did not scream, swoon or panic. Her pretty face showed no fear of him even when he could feel her tremble. It was obvious, why she beguiled Philip so much. Poor Philip, he thought, then quickly pushed Philip from his thoughts. He held onto her easily with one hand and with the other, reached up to squeeze her supple cheeks till her plump lips pursed and popped open.

He smiled at how prettily she flushed, and absently stroked her satiny cheek with his thumb. "No denial? Then I assume I'm right. What do you think they will do to you for being a fraud? Who will stand up for you when the truth comes to light? They may throw you into some dark, dank prison for fraud-- or worse!"

She forcefully jerked her face from his grasp. "I won't dignify baseless accusations with a response. Especially from men I don't know!" she spat out with fire in her eyes. "You have no right to speak to me this way!"

"Haven't I? Shall I let you go on making a fool of everyone? Come! Confess to me and I may yet protect you," he said, letting his tone to finally reveal his true intentions.

Evelyn's rosey lips parted then snapped shut as she stared up at him with fire and ice in her deep blue eyes. "Good evening sir!" she spat out and turned to go. Just then, he pulled something from his pocket and held it up to her. Evelyn instantly recognized her fan reached out to grab it. She wasn't quick enough. He jerked it out of her reach with a roguish chuckle.

"What do you want?" she demanded indignantly with a stomp of her right foot.

Lord Davenport knew what he wanted, and what he was certain to have. He over her glossy tresses, over her beautiful face to her plush red lips. If he didn't take care the maddening desire to have her just might drive him to lose his tightly coiled control.

"Well?" she demanded. She stood before him like a wronged princess, full of dignified rage.

Evelyn flinched slightly as he stalked towards her and used the edge of her fan to lightly caress the outline of her bodice, then up to the naked flesh swelling above it. He dragged it lightly over the swell of her exposed flesh before lifting her necklace chain for a brief, disdainful glance. She shuddered when the cold, hard pendant dropped back against her warm flesh, but she stood firm and did not take her eyes from his face.

"Take care," he warned huskily. It took some will, but he resisted the urge to drag her into the bushes then to make her see just how vulnerable she was, a girl in her position. "Take care you don't overplay your hand with this lot. All eyes are on you. When they are not longer amused by your little lies and omissions, you may need a friend--"

.

"You have quite the imagination, my lord," she retorted. She held out her hands, palms up. "Tell your story to whomever you please. My truth is my own and cannot be changed by innuendo and baseless conjecture from a stranger! You're no friend of mine. You've no honor and you're a brute! Good evening!" With a flick of a wrist, she snatched the fan from him and stormed back into the ball.

******

It took Philip several attempts to extricate himself from the Lady Warwick and her gaggle of female friends. His breeding and sensitive nature didn't allow him to rudely step away when they were asking after his father, mother and older brothers. He smiled politely when they wanted to know where the Marquess of Devonport planned to spend the rest of the Season. Would Lord Davenport be attending the Summer Exhibition or the Ascot? Might the cousins come to tea at the Warwick's soon?

Several times Philip found himself craning his neck over the heads of the throngs of bodies for his cousin's distinct figure. His cousin seemed to have disappeared altogether. He drew in a sharp breath, involuntarily, when he saw the resplendent Lady Evelyn dash into the ballroom. A few strands of her thick locks hung loosely from her chignon, her delicate cheeks appear more flushed as she paused in mid stride when she saw several people staring. She offered a half smile as she regained her composure and glided behind some bodies and disappear from Philip's view.

The hair on the back of Philip's neck stood on its ends as he waited with his heart in his throat. No one else but Philip noticed his cousin slowly and steadily emerge from the same spot as Lady Evelyn, pause almost exactly where she had a moment before. Lord Davenport's sweeping glance caught Philip's stare, and immediately came to join Philip again without betraying a single emotion.

wws_wws
wws_wws
167 Followers