Duplicity Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Merle smiled and climbed into the car as well. He was going to enjoy this.

"So you don't like people opening doors for you? I thought all women like that sort of thing."

"I don't need your help Merle, with opening car doors or anything else."

"If you say so."

Although the driver, Nico, was supposed to be native to the island, they still managed to get lost. Apparently Nico misunderstood and drove them all around town looking for the tailor shop. And after 2 hours, Layla was not taking the delay well.

Merle silently observed her as she relentlessly tried to talk to Nico in broken Greek. She tried to string together words using her thick language book.

Merle wanted to laugh but mostly felt bad for Nico. Layla was getting frustrated and Merle didn't think Nico understood the things Layla was muttering under her breath. Nevertheless they kept talking over each other. Layla positioned herself by reaching over from the backseat with her book. The problem was that every so often there would be a pot hole in the road and everyone in the car would bounce in the air. Merle thought he had enough of the show.

Suddenly in perfect Greek, Merle said. "That's enough Nico; take a right at the next light. In that intersection make a left. The place we're looking for will be on that street to the right. We've already passed it 4 times. Next time do not waste our time like this."

Layla stared at Merle in wonder. What, How? When?

"But sir, I did not know where it was, I swear." Nico pleaded.

Merle continued, "Do not lie to me, Nico. I will take that personally. I know you just liked how the lady's tits kept bouncing in your face."

Nico's face turned beat red at being caught.

The fact of the matter is he did know where the place was all along. He should... it's his uncle's tailor shop. He didn't think anyone knew. Nico just liked how every time the pretty wedding planner hunched over, her ample cleavage was on display.

Not that Merle was complaining. But he hated when people acted stupid for the sake of getting a free show.

Layla's brow set in a determined way and was now completely infuriated at the fact that dear old cousin Merle knew how to speak Greek all along. And here she was sweating bullets just to get them where they needed to go.

She slightly trembled in anger and she clenched her teeth. The nerve of this man! Does he not know they are on a schedule?!

Merle looked at Layla as she looked like she was going to murder him with her bare hands. It was distracting at how attractive she was in this angry state. If she was like this now, imagine when she wa-...

"What?" He shook his wayward thoughts back to reality. He had no idea what Layla had just said. He chose to ignore her and started to exit the car.

"Hey! You mean to tell me you are fluent in Greek this whole time?"

"That's right."

Layla got out of the car as well and said, "Well why in God's green earth, did you not say something?"

Merle stood at his full height and stared at her intently. He got a little too close in her personal space and whispered, "You had it all under control, sweetheart. You don't need my help remember?"

Layla stood there perplexed while Merle walked inside. Not only was she perplexed because those were indeed her exact words but also because she felt something strange when Merle was near.

She didn't usually lose her cool this quickly. She was always calm, collected and methodical. But it seemed that every time Merle spoke she wanted to punch, slap or strangle him; or a combination of all three.

He was always so arrogantly confident and deliberate in his actions. Although his appearance made him look like he shouldn't be anything but those things. His piercing gaze demanded your full attention.

And it made her uncomfortably powerless.

They finally arrived at their destination. It was actually a large house that the owner had converted into a shop. The short good natured old man was quick and efficient. Merle stood while the man's worn hands took precise measurements of Merle's large body. He laughed and good naturedly remarked on Merle's ample size.

By the time they were done it was past noon. Merle heard a soft rumbling coming from Layla's stomach. He told Nico they were going to walk to the market for some lunch.

Layla didn't understand what Merle had told Nico in Greek but was curious and hoped it involved food. She had given up trying to stay on schedule for the day; she was just tired and hungry.

She followed Merle as they walked down the cobblestone road. The uneven surface made walking in heels challenging.

Every time Layla almost tripped, Merle wasn't too far away making sure she stayed upright. But Layla would stubbornly straighten herself and kept walking. She thought Merle was quite agile to look so out of shape. Merle smirked to himself correctly assuming Layla's thoughts.

The sun was bright and the air was clear. And there was a pleasant smell of the ocean and burning firewood.

A few minutes later, they arrived at a busy seaside market. The local merchants sold fresh fish, fruits and vegetables.

They found a small café where the locals seemed to eat. They ordered some food. Layla chose a fish platter with a salad and Merle went for a dish that had lamb, rice, grape leaves and salad. They topped it off with complimentary cups of wine. They took their food containers and walked down towards the beach.

Under a large shady sea grape tree, there was a small white plastic table and two chairs just waiting to be occupied. They walked on the sand to reach it but they sat contentedly. Layla was so relieved; she quietly slipped her shoes off and wiggled her feet in the sand. She hadn't been to a beach in so many years; she forgot how silky and cool the sand could feel.

Forgetting about decorum, Layla dived right into her food. She softly moaned at how good the food was.

"Mm-mm." God she was hungry and this food was delicious.

It was so peaceful there. The cloudless sky and the ocean were perfect compliments of each other. Layla looked at Merle in curiosity. He was quietly enjoying his meal and seemed distracted in his thoughts.

Merle was trying to concentrate but was having trouble with Layla and the sounds she was making.

"How did you know to come here? Have you been here before?" Layla asked between mouthfuls.

"No."

"Then how did you know?"

"You just have to be observant. If you are observant you will usually get all the information you need."

"What does being observant have to do with anything?"

"Well I saw there were some workmen who was walking in the same direction and its lunchtime. There was a little girl with a water jug who was bouncing in this direction as well. This area of Santorini isn't heavily populated so I figured they were all going to a café or a market."

Layla looked at him and nodded. "So you can figure anything out just by observing people?"

"Yep that's right."

"Alright." Layla straightened and put her dish to the side. "So what can you tell about me?"

Merle looked at her expectantly and shook his head.

"Go ahead. I promise I won't get offended."

Merle shrugged his shoulders. He took his sweet time perusing her features. "You look to be about 23 years old and just started your own business."

Layla nodded and said, "Yes, but you could have Googled that."

"True." Merle said as he stared intently in her eyes. His gaze unnerved her and she looked away.

"You've been in several relationships but considering that you've only been in love once."

Silence...

"Lucky guess," Layla said nonchalantly.

"From the way you interacted with Nico, I'd say he was foreign and it did not end well."

Silence...

"The perfume you're wearing can't be found in the U.S. so I would say he was French. There is a thin line on your left ring finger so that means you were also engaged. From the faint line I'd say it's been at least 6 months."

Layla's expression sobered. She looked at Merle as if he were reading her palm but remained silent.

"Am I close?"

Layla pursed her lips. She sighed. It was her fault, why did she have to ask him to read her? Now there was no way of stopping him.

"I think he cheated on you because I definitely see you have a healthy dose of mistrust for men. And it hurt you deeply... because you trusted him and you don't trust easy."

"Ok. I think that's enough of that. Thank you Merle, for letting me know how easily I can be read." Layla plastered a fake smile trying not to let his words affect her. She knew it wasn't his fault but it was painful to hear your life so pathetically spelled out.

Layla got up and threw away her food. When she turned around she barreled right into Merle's massive chest. She was close to falling over but Merle caught her and steadied her on her feet while she grabbed ahold of his arms.

"I'm sorry."

"You don't have to apologize. You were completely right."

"I'm not sorry I said it... I'm sorry that son of a bitch made you lose faith in men." He softly nudged her chin up so she could look at him. "Hey, we aren't all bad." He said lightly.

Layla looked into his eyes and her breath caught in her throat. In his molten gaze there was an electric current she couldn't quite understand.

She didn't notice his protruding pot belly or his greasy strands of hair on his head. Or the fact that he was completely unattractive.

In that moment there was something greater than attraction. What it was, she didn't know. But she knew she had never felt it before.

His breath was shallow and his chest visibly rose with every breath. He had an intoxicating lingering smell of sweet wine.

She suddenly was aware of how strong and sturdy his arms were, like oversized cranes holding her frame up.

There was a certain perfection about the way he held her. And how his strong hands cupped her back.

She noticed how his deep voice did something inexplicable to her nether regions. His deeply timbered voice reminded her of a finely tuned motorcycle. Rumbling its way through her body.

She was drawn to him without any willpower of her own. It was as if he was the center of a tornado and she spiraled through him.

Merle's head slowly descended towards hers as if in a trance... and her head followed his lead.

Suddenly, a car beeped its horn for a bicyclist to move out of the street.

That seemed to break the spell and Layla was brought back to reality. She cleared her throat, looked away and righted her clothes.

What the hell was wrong with her? Maybe she fell and bumped her head without realizing it. She was about to kiss the groom's ugly duckling cousin? She wasn't even attracted to him... she didn't even like him... she didn't want to kiss him in the slightest bit.

Or that's what she kept telling herself.

"I'm sorry if I gave you the wrong impression Merle. I don't feel that way about you. We will never be more than just a wedding planner and the groom's cousin. It's not appropriate."

Merle's expression changed to something unreadable. Just as they started to leave, he stopped and turned around to face her. His strong arms grabbed her tightly; not caring if he might be bruising her.

He brought his face close to hers and whispered, "Fuck that."

Layla was in a daze and wasn't completely sure of what was happening. But was aware she closed her eyes as her face drew close to his. Her chin unconsciously tilted up and waited...

His thick lips descended on hers softly. He tentatively peppered her with kisses until he felt her mouth give way to more access. He angled her head and delved into her mouth, exploring her for the first time. She tasted better than he expected.

They kissed in that unmovable pose for what seemed like an eternity and a split second all at the same time.

The kiss quickly intensified as they nibbled each other's lips and their tongues battled. Layla let out a soft moan when she felt herself become dripping wet.

He tasted so good to her. She stood breathlessly as he traced down her arm with one thick finger... all the way down to where she had been previously injured. The faint touch left an emblazoned trail of heat in its place.

This man invoked all kinds of desires in her.

Merle slowed the kiss and gathered her face in his brawny hands. His thumb softly rubbed behind her ear. How did he know that was one of her spots?

He pulled away but his gaze held a million promises.

"We should get back." He whispered.

___________

12