Dust to Dust Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Evil Alpaca
Evil Alpaca
3,661 Followers

Valar sighed. He had respected the ambassador greatly. "The Alchemist's Dream is used for combining different objects that have some kind of connection. Then, of course, is the Heaven's Eye . . ."

"I think we're ALL familiar with that one," Dr. Trendenfall said. The Heaven's Eye had been used to seal the portal between dimensions when it was just a rift.

"True," Eliza said. "Then there's the Dragon's Breath, which builds bridges between distant places."

It was Valar's turn again. "The Ocean's Heart cleanses impurities. That's the one I used on Kertosis Ithslerorvana . . . I saw his psychoses as a sickness."

"That's because they were," Eliza said, spitting on the ground. Both Earth and Terra benefited from the former sorcerer being turned into a mindless, drooling servant of the people.

"The Serpent's Kiss," Wyrm said grimly, "can be used to fool the senses. Like sneaking an army past surveillance and into a military installation."

Dennis Murgo clapped his comrade on the shoulder. That was the fight where Wyrm had lost his arm and Kelik had lost his life.

Dusty didn't know all of these back-stories, but she could tell the room grew more and more somber with each telling. "Were all the Gems . . . evil?"

"Pretty much," Veronica muttered.

Again, there was uncomfortable silence. Eliza actually looked pained as she took her girlfriend's trembling hands. "The Spear of God," she said softly. "It . . . brings down fire and lighting on the enemy of whoever wields it."

Dusty looked alarmed and confused. That Gem seemed to really scare Veronica. Then Dusty heard a telepathic voice in her head . . . Since Valar could see her, he could communicate directly with her mind.

{{ There is a lot you don't know Lady Trendenfall, }} he thought to her. {{ These people . . . to them, the Gems are not just trinkets or toys. Veronica was tortured for many days with the Spear . . . it was why she and Eliza had to be combined in order to survive. Even the strongest amongst us are haunted my memories. }}

{{ And some are defined by them, }} she replied, looking at Ash.

Ash had other things on her mind. "Can any of these be used to cure my condition?"

"That's a bit tricky," Valar said. "The Gems tend to amplify a particular type of manipulation and aren't exactly set in stone as to their effects, but it isn't a matter of framing a particular semantic debate. You cannot fool them into doing something you want which is not in their nature."

"That's why it is so important for us to find out EXACTLY what happened to you," professor VanHouten said. "I may never have worked with the Gems, but they, or any other kind of magic, are dangerous when used improperly."

"So you do not know if they can cure me? How about destroying me?" Ash looked like she was thinking about something. "There were seven Gems," she said. "You only mentioned six. What about the last one? The Dead Man's World?"

"Absolutely not," Colonel Corbin said with an unwavering air of finality.

"But . . ."

"Sorry," Eliza said, interrupting Ash. "Only a handful of people on either world even know where that Gem is housed. The people who are assigned to guard it have a lifetime position to prevent them from leaking it when they quit. Only a few people are ever allowed near it, and NO ONE is allowed to activate it."

"How can you learn about it then?" Dr. Trendenfall said. "I don't understand how you can stand of the edge of discovery and not leap."

"Because on the other side of that 'leap'," Valar said, "is a very dark chasm."

"Is it REALLY that bad?"

Eliza nodded. "The Arcanum came up with a number of writings by the sorcerer who first dreamt of the World. It's all about doomsday magic . . . the kind you don't get to direct and control and wipe out one person or even one country."

"How . . . bad?" Dusty asked.

"It could destroy reality as we know it," Valar said. "Hence, the precautions."

"So . . . how would the World do that?" Tom McBride said. It was disconcerting that you might very well have the ultimate weapon in your own backyard somewhere.

"We don't know," Valar said. "We've got a guess . . . well, Kalinicia does."

"Who's Kalinicia?"

"Oh, Ambassador Kalinicia . . . Wyrm's girlfriend."

Wyrm grinned. It was the first time anyone had smiled in a while. "She HATES being called that, by the way."

"She's not HERE is she?" Eliza shot back. "Anyway, she could explain it better than I could, but she's been doing a history of magic on Earth . . . looking back at the days when the only transportation between the miscellaneous worlds was when beings slipped through the cracks." She looked at Wyrm. "You've read her notes, right?"

He nodded. "One thing she REALLY wants to know is how the Gems got here. She's coming by tomorrow . . . maybe she could explain things better."

"Excellent!" Veronica said. She and the Ambassador got along famously.

"And if we need to leave early . . ." Colonel Corbin said, looking meaningfully at Eliza.

"We'll be ready," she responded in a business-like fashion.

Valar got Ash's attention. "We'll think about what you told us and get back to you soon. I have an idea, but I'd like to flush it out." When she nodded, he terminated the communication.

"Ash," Eliza said, "could the Colonel and I speak to you outside for a moment?"

Ash followed them outside.

"We'd like for you to go with us for a little mission," Eliza said when they were safely away from the house. "Your abilities are an advantage that our enemy doesn't understand and could greatly reduce any potential casualties on our part."

"And on their part?"

"Doesn't much concern me," Eliza said, actually matching Ash's coldness. She was NOT going to be drawn into another long war. She was tired of it and . . . and dammit, she wanted to get married!

"My contract is to defend Ms. Trendenfall. Unless otherwise stated by Dr. Trendenfall, she doesn't leave my sight."

"I talked with Dusty's father," Eliza replied. "If taking out this base will help stop the Purity or at least seriously cripple them, he feels she will be safer. And keeping her safe was your deal. You can verify this with him."

"But still, you are asking me for a favor," Ash hissed. "Which means you must agree to do a favor for me." She looked at each of them. "At some point in the future."

Eliza nodded. "Doesn't surprise me. And I take it that money isn't the issue?"

"Money I have," Ash replied. "Mostly I am concerned with the reservations the doctor and his daughter are having about my potential termination if no cure is found. I do not blame them. Humanity has many weaknesses, including irrational sympathy."

"I don't necessarily see that as a 'weakness,' but I think I understand. If they aren't willing to go through with it . . ."

"Then you must ensure my destruction," Ash finished. She turned and walked inside to confirm her new assignment with Dr. Trendenfall.

"Eliza," the Colonel said, "that woman scares me."

"I think she scares me too, and that's with her still in control of her faculties. If she loses them . . . " She shook her head. "If she loses them, I take her out."

------------ --------------------

To be continued . . .

Evil Alpaca
Evil Alpaca
3,661 Followers