E-Beth Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

I looked over at David. "Obviously I'm too close to it to really know, but this doesn't feel like Stage One denial to me. I mean, I *really* don't give a flying fuck that Chad and I are done. He was... fun. But he wasn't special to me. I mean, we were dating for almost a year and we weren't getting any closer to each other than we started. I was more concerned with my work. The relationship was dying. And even bringing another girl in didn't seem to put the spark back in."

David pointed out, "You were pretty upset when you found out he'd been cheating."

"ANY girl would be upset just on principle," Amber clarified. "Even if you don't have strong feelings for someone, a betrayal just plain hurts."

I nodded. "Chad may have been the longest of my recent boyfriends, but I don't think this breakup is really so different than the rest. I think I was more relieved than hurt when those relationships were over. Actually, I haven't been upset over a breakup since Jeff back in college, even though I've now been cheated on three times."

"Maybe you're dating the wrong type of guys," David sighed.

"David!" Amber scolded. He looked over at her and shrugged his shoulders as if to ask, 'What?'

"No, David's right." I looked up at the pretty blonde and then sat up straight, lifting myself off her body. I leaned against the backrest and dropped my hand onto Amber's thigh. "I was already telling myself I need to change the kind of guy I'm going after. I need to meet a different kind of guy."

"What kinds of guys ARE you meeting?" David cocked his head. "What qualities have you been looking for?"

I sighed, and for a moment, my brain went straight to Grant. "Handsome, charming, mysterious, dangerous, and sexy."

David's eyebrows went up and Amber gave me a skeptical look. "Bad boys," Amber drawled.

I exhaled, "I know, I know. I can't help it. Those are the kinds of guys that turn me on."

"There's nothing wrong with that," Amber pointed out.

"There's nothing RIGHT with that, either," I replied. "Every guy since graduation fit that mold and all turned out to be loser assholes. The handsome, charming bad boys are exciting and all; but I need to start thinking about more than just sex."

"So let's put aside the bad boys that turn you on." Amber patted my leg. "Let's think about qualities that don't have to do with sex. What other qualities do you want from a guy?"

I furrowed my eyebrows and thought about it for only a second. "Someone like David."

Amber giggled and smiled at her fiancé. David himself blushed before frowning and complaining. "Hey, does that mean I'm not handsome, charming, or sexy?"

It was my turn to giggle. "Sure you are. But you were never mysterious or dangerous. You were open, upfront, and totally honest with me."

"See, you ARE hurt," David crowed triumphantly.

"Huh?"

He leaned forward and propped his elbows on his knees. "It's not just a momentary anger in the immediate aftermath of betrayal. You're tired of getting cheated on, period. And when you say you want a guy like me, the key traits you pointed out were openness and honesty."

I sighed and nodded. "I guess I never prioritized those traits in guys before. I wanted excitement, not safety. I think that's why we broke up, David. You were safe and secure and I was too young and too reckless for that kind of relationship back then. I was barely nineteen! You were the kind of guy a girl could settle down with, and I was nowhere near ready to settle down."

"And you are now?" Amber asked.

I sighed. "I'm not sure. I AM still only 25."

"So am I," Amber smiled.

"That's different. YOU found your soulmate and you two have more than enough excitement in your relationship." I rolled my eyes. "But the point is: I'm willing to try meeting guys I can settle down with and see if they make me happier. And even though I still feel too young, aren't we supposed to get married before we turn 30? Hell, my parents were popping out kids when they were 22. And the bad boy route obviously isn't doing it long-term for me."

"Sounds like you already know what to do." David nodded sagely.

I snorted. "Yeah, right. There are a million girls trying to figure out how to find and keep Mr. Right. And I have *no idea* where to begin."

"Just you watch," Amber encouraged warmly. "Just be yourself and a wonderful guy will come to you."

I snorted again. "Easy for you to say. You're so gorgeous, men have ALWAYS come to you -- even my ex-boyfriend here." I jerked a thumb at David.

"Oh, E-Beth," Amber sighed. "First off, David and I didn't exactly have the smoothest beginning if you'll remember. I had to knock him upside the head to make him realize I wanted him. And seriously, when are you going to realize *you're* a gorgeous babe!"

I shook my head to wave off her attempt at complimenting me. I knew better.

"Look. You're one day removed from Chad," David said rationally. "Give it time, okay? Give it time and we'll help you figure it out however we can. You'll find the right guy for you."

"And in the meantime..." Amber purred. She slid her hand up my leg toward my crotch and hugged me from the side, nuzzling her nose sensuously against my neck. "We'll satisfy your cravings until you do."

****

"Hi, E-Beth..." Teddy's voice cracked nervously and he valiantly tried (unsuccessfully) not to stare at my tits as I came to a halt at the stockroom window. I couldn't really blame him. What, you think I wear these low-cut tops because I *don't* want the attention?

I gave him a bemused smile and waited patiently for the poor kid to regain his composure. And once he managed to get his hyperventilating under control, I handed over the CCRF (Controlled Compound Request Form), signed by Alfred. I'd already submitted the list of supplies I was requesting through the company's intranet, and given the stockroom staff plenty of time to put together my order. But one of the compounds I was requesting was extremely rare (and extremely expensive), so I'd needed my Director's approval to use it in my latest round of testing.

Teddy didn't even look at the form. He just took it and then turned away to fetch my order.

But then Teddy continued his turn, spinning all the way around until he was facing me once again. And with a little smirk, he tapped his clipboard and asked, "What's up with so much Methylphenidate?"

"Excuse me?" I popped my eyebrows in surprise.

"I'm just curious. Are you working ADHD or Narcolepsy?"

I blinked twice. "ADHD."

He glanced down at the form and then looked up at me, arching an eyebrow. "Aren't you *not* supposed to use a monoamine oxidase inhibitor like tranylcypromine, then?"

I grinned and then leaned over the ledge separating the two of us, looking to the CCRF and tapping it with my finger. "That's what *this* guy is for. It *should* keep down the plasma concentrations."

Leaning over the ledge put my tits in an even better angle for viewing, but to my surprise, Teddy didn't even look over. His eyes were on the page, his lower lip tucked to the left and beneath his upper teeth as he scrutinized the words in front of him. I swear I could actually SEE his brain working. And then rocking back on his heels, he stood up straight and grunted, "Huh. I never woulda thought of that."

Standing up straight myself, I crossed my arms beneath my breasts and smiled. "That's why they pay me the big bucks."

Teddy chuckled and nodded.

My smile tugged even higher on the right side of my face. "How'd you know that anyways, about the tranylcypromine? It's not the sort of thing a typical stockroom clerk is read up on."

Teddy blushed bright pink. "Ah, well, maybe I'm not the typical stockroom clerk."

"Clearly." I nodded. "Did you take some chemistry courses?"

Still blushing, he nodded and looked down nervously. "Um, uh-huh."

"How many?"

Still nervous, he admitted. "All the way. I majored in Chemistry."

I raised my eyebrows again. "From where?"

Almost bashfully, he admitted, "Harvard."

My eyes popped open. "Chemistry major from Harvard? What the hell are you doing in a stockroom?" I practically barked in surprise.

Teddy's blush now ran from his forehead all the way down his neck into his white lab coat. "Uh, long story."

"Elizabeth!" a booming voice echoed down the hallway from behind me and to the right. Instinctively, I turned to look and stood up straight when I recognized the man striding purposefully toward me. It was Edward Reed, CEO of the entire company.

"Afternoon, Mr. Reed," I said politely and nodded my head as he approached.

The mid-fifties man with Just For Men(TM) dark brown hair with a touch of gray at the temples smiled charismatically, coming to a stop right in front of me. "I got your report from the last round of testing. I'm very pleased with your progress, and Alfred says this will be your biggest hit yet!"

I blushed and glanced down modestly. "I'm not done yet, sir. There are still a lot of things to work out. The ethanol interaction is still a big one to solve."

Mr. Reed leaned forward, patting me gently on the shoulder. "And I have no doubt in your abilities to solve it, Elizabeth." He flashed me another proud smile and then stood up straight. Only then did he notice Teddy on the other side of the counter, and almost as an afterthought he offered a polite, "Hello."

Looking to be scared shitless after being greeted by the CEO, Teddy managed to warble, "Afternoon, sir."

Mr. Reed just turned back to me with a final smile. And then he turned and walked away.

Once he was around the corner and out of sight, I glanced back to the stockroom clerk, who was still staring down the hallway as if in shock. "Those compounds aren't going to get themselves off the shelves, Teddy."

The poor kid just blinked and glanced back at me, "Oh right, E-Beth. Sorry."

****

"And so ultimately, what compound 327 provides is the same ADHD functionality of Ritalin, but without the insomnia side effects." I waved my hand at the final slide. "Any questions?"

It took a few seconds before the first hands were raised. I always lost my audience in the middle section when talking about various chemical compounds and the way they interacted, and I knew it always took them a second to wake up once I got to the end results. I, personally, found the chemical reactions to be absolutely fascinating. But my audience was made up of the Sales and Marketing teams, people who really didn't care HOW it worked as long as they knew that it worked.

"What's the raw material cost compared to Ritalin?" was the first question.

"Raw material cost is 50% higher," I admitted. "But based on the way Ambelose ran at the new facility, I think we can get a similar gross margin. Honestly, you'll have to ask the Production Department on that one."

"What's the legal status?" was another question.

"I don't know yet. But I would think it would fall under Schedule II like Ritalin. I'm drafting the classification report to submit to the DEA."

Further questions took about twenty minutes. Then we wrapped and several people came up to offer their congratulations. Alfred was the last one, and when it was all over, I tottered in my heels while gathering up my materials. I absolutely couldn't WAIT to sit down.

But before I could actually head back to my office to collapse, one man hung back and approached me. Oh, *of course*.

"Word of advice," he began with a charming smile. "We 'sales-y' types don't like the word 'Features'. We like 'Benefits'. A customer may or may not care what features you've got. But they're definitely interested in what benefits you can give them."

I chuckled and nodded. "I'll try to do better next time."

"Oh, I'm not criticizing," Grant said lightly. "You're a natural presenter."

Yeah, right. I'm a chemist, not a public speaker. "Thanks," I replied politely, cognizant of my sore feet and yet almost magnetically drawn to continue talking to the handsome man. "Been working on it over the years."

"Years?" Grant barked a quick laugh. "You're just barely out of college, right? How many years can you have been here?"

I smirked and raised my eyebrows. "You asking a woman her age? Tsk, tsk."

Grant chuckled and shook his head. "I meant no offense, madam. Can't an old fart like me compliment a young woman on her polished presentation?"

"Old fart," I snorted as I zipped up my bag and slung it over my shoulder. I felt the impulse to stay and keep bantering with the guy, but the angel on my right shoulder reminded me that I was staying clear of men like him. Besides, I was tired and I wanted to sit down. So shaking my head, I nodded to Grant and started walking out.

And of course, he walked right out with me. I turned left at the hallway, and he followed right along, despite the fact that the Marketing Department was off to the right.

"So do you have any plans coming up?" Grant asked, that same warm, welcoming tone in his voice. It sounded like honey.

"Right now, all my plans center around getting back to my office and taking off these shoes. I feel like I've been standing all day."

"If it would make you feel better, I'm told I give *excellent* foot massages."

My eyebrows rose. "Now Grant," I said in an amused, slightly flirtatious voice. "I don't think that would quite be appropriate workplace behavior."

"So maybe I'll give it to you *after* work." He flashed me a toothy grin.

"After work?" I chuckled. "I'm a chemist. We sleep here on weekdays. Didn't you know that?"

Grant laughed and shook his head. "Workaholic type. I get it. Maybe Friday then. I know you've been out to Monahan's at 5 o'clock on a Friday night at least *once*."

"That was a fluke. Stella dragged me out because she felt sorry for me that day."

"Ah, so I can count on *Stella* to help persuade you to come out and enjoy some company."

I shook my head. "Something tells me you don't need *any* help finding company, Grant."

He flashed me another perfect smile. "And what if the only company I want is you?"

That brought me to a dead stop in the hallway. Grant stopped with me and turned to give me his full and undivided attention. "Excuse me?" I asked, my voice a breathy whisper.

He instantly held a hand up. "I'm sorry. That just came out. But I'll admit that you intrigue me, E-Beth. You are both beautiful and remarkably intelligent. And I really would just like the opportunity to get to know you better."

"Are you asking me out?"

"Would you say 'yes' if I did?"

I blushed and turned back to face the hallway, feeling a quiver run through my entire body. *No more*, I reminded myself. I'd made a decision, a decision that my best friends in the world had already backed. And with an apology on my face, I turned and said, "Grant, I don't want to lead you on. I just got out of a bad relationship and I don't think-"

"Hey, hey..." he interrupted, then reached forward and cupped his hand around my shoulder. "I'm not demanding anything of you. I'd just like to get to know you better; that's all." And then further relieving the pressure, he gestured down the hallway and started walking.

I found myself relaxing as he moved away, while at the same time feeling the urge to close the gap. Without knowing exactly why, I *liked* being around him and I hurried to follow. And in relative silence, Grant walked me all the way back to my office.

At the cube just outside my door, Stella poked her head up, her eyes going wide at the sight of Grant walking beside me. I shot her a stern look and she quickly sank back down out of sight.

And then at my office, Grant stopped at my doorway while I went inside and sank down into my chair in relief. I quickly pivoted my feet back onto the heels, wiggling them to get the circulation going.

Grant nodded down to my feet. "Remember my offer for that foot massage," he said with a charming smile. "Seriously, I *promise* you'll feel like you can walk on air once I'm done with you."

That little bolt of electricity shot through my loins again, giving me a tingle between my legs. I felt my skin flush. And I stole a glance up to see the handsome man's strong jaw and deep green eyes staring right at me with heated intensity. Grant's voice was dripping with innuendo and the thought of floating away, walking on air once he was "done with me", had my heart threatening to burst out of my chest.

And then before I could say anything, Grant flashed me that perfect smile as he stated flatly, "Friday after work. Monahan's. No pressure. Just a few drinks with a colleague, okay?"

Blinking, I was astonished to find my head already nodding up and down, giving him my silent agreement.

Grant smiled even wider, a twinkle in his eye. And then he turned and strode away.

Sighing, I sank deeper into my chair once he was out of sight. I closed my eyes and mentally cursed myself for not completely shutting Grant out. I had made a decision and I knew I should stick to it. I was smarter than this. I had a Genius-level I.Q. I had all the top test scores. But around a hot guy, my brain just turned into jello. Why?

I liked hot guys flirting with me. I really, really liked it. I mean, out of all the girls at this company a hunk like Grant could be going after, he was coming after me. It was really quite flattering. It meant that he considered ME a catch. It meant that he considered ME to be attractive and desirable.

I sighed. Was this why I always ended up with handsome bad boys? Not because I thought they were good for me, but because they made ME feel more attractive just to be with them? That they made me feel I wasn't such a Plain Jane?

A girlish giggled from my doorway made me open my eyes. And there was Stella, leaning against the door with her arms crossed over her chest and a self-satisfied smirk on her face. "So did he ask you out?"

"Stella..."

"Did he?"

"Well..."

"Ooh!" The perky blonde quickly turned and closed my office door, shutting the world away. And as she slid into the wing chair across from my desk, she asked excitedly, "Gimme all the details!"

****

"By the bar. Second stool. He's wearing the-"

"I KNOW what Grant looks like," I hissed beneath my breath. I struggled to control my breathing and forced myself to smile when I realized that Grant had also seen us, and was raising his beer in greeting while flashing me that perfect smile. He was alone, without any other Argen colleagues around him. He was waiting just for me.

"You're with me, right?" I asked out the corner of my mouth.

"Absolutely," Stella replied warmly right before nudging me in the back with her elbow and then immediately turning in the other direction. "Hey Audrey! Hey Paula!" And then my betraying bitch of a friend deliberately walked away from me.

The nudge had knocked me forward and toward the bar area. I glanced to my right and fought the impulse to screech, 'STELLA!' I held my composure... barely... and then turned and walked over to where Grant was clearly waiting for me.

"Can I buy you a drink?" he greeted warmly.

"Oh, is that how the game is played?" I asked with raised eyebrows. "I prostitute a few minutes of my time in exchange for a six dollar cocktail?"

"Oh, she doth wound me!" Grant mimed as if I'd stabbed him through the heart, a comical expression on his face. And then as he sat up straight, he gave me an honest look and asked, "Are you really so jaded?"

I sighed, thinking of how all the bad boys I'd known had hurt me over the years. "Maybe," I moaned morosely.

"Ahhh..." Grant sighed. "Beautiful, intelligent, AND vulnerable. Now you've got me *really* intrigued."

That got me to crack a smile and sit at the bar. One look at my cleavage and the male bartender was right in front of me. "Tanq & Tonic," I told him. The guy glanced at Grant, who nodded, and then he was off to mix my drink.