Educating Dustin Rhodes Ch. 02

Story Info
Dusty gets surprised and then employs some of his training.
8.1k words
4.77
10.7k
7

Part 2 of the 3 part series

Updated 06/07/2023
Created 03/02/2016
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

My ship pulled back into Pearl Harbor at the end of May. The deployment had been largely uneventful but, once again, we visited some intriguing ports around the Pacific Rim.

Because of mission requirements, I had limited access to the internet so e-mails with Holly were sporadic. Hers were newsy and funny. Mine seemed dull by comparison.

After a week or so of heavy pressure to get me to reenlist, everyone gave up and accepted my decision. My Division Officer even took the time to write a letter recommendation on my behalf. In the letter, he summarized my electrical skills and declared me to be an exceptional young man in every respect. I was pleased and thanked him profusely, knowing the letter might carry considerable weight when I went looking for work back home.

The night before I left, my shipmates threw a going away party for me at our favorite watering hole ashore. I had already sold my car rather than ship it home, so several of the guys took me to the airport in the morning where I boarded my flight with a monumental hangover.

This trip home was courtesy of Uncle Sam since he had an obligation to return me to my point of entry into the Navy. He did not, however, feel any need to make it easy on me. My first flight was by uncomfortable military transport to Travis Air Force Base. Then a bus ride to Sacramento Airport for a layover of several hours. After that, my flight across the country was a redeye. Fortunately, my hangover had abated by then and I slept most of the way, arriving in Columbia reasonably refreshed at mid-morning on a Friday.

On the ride home, my folks made it clear that I was to stay with them until I figured out what I was going to do with myself. I would have the guest room, which had been my old room years before, and one of the bathrooms for my exclusive use. I was grateful and said so.

It took only minutes to put away my meager belongings and then I joined my parents in the kitchen. My father had to go back to work, so Mom and I settled down at the dinette with mugs of coffee.

"Why don't you give Holly a call," my mother prompted. "I know she's anxious to see you."

"I've only been home a half hour. And just how do you know she wants to see me?"

"Ever since the holidays, Holly has dropped by a couple of times each week to chat. Mostly about you."

"Mom, she just turned eighteen. Stop matchmaking. She's just a kid."

"Dusty, normally I would agree that there is a big difference between a recent high school graduate and a young man like you with lots of experience gained by gallivanting about the Pacific Ocean. This is different."

"How so?"

"Holly is eighteen going on thirty. You are twenty-two going on twenty-three," she replied with a smile.

"Okay, okay, okay," I responded with a chuckle. "I'll call her this evening when she gets off work."

"She has the day off and she's waiting for your call."

"I'm not even going to ask how you know her schedule," I replied. "Can I at least finish my coffee?"

"Of course, dear."

****

Holly was indeed awaiting my call. Picking up on the first ring, I heard her voice for the first time in more than six months.

"Hi Dusty," she said, obviously looking at caller ID. "When did you get home?"

"About an hour ago," I replied, knowing full well that my mother had given her my flight information from Sacramento.

"Can you come over?" she asked. "Like right now?" she added, sounding hopeful.

"I'll be there in five." Mom was grinning as I left the house.

It was late morning and the temperature was in the eighties as I walked the block and a half to my destination. By the time I got to Holly's house, I had worked up a mild sweat even though I was only wearing shorts, flip-flops, and a tee shirt.

Holly was seated on her porch swing when I arrived. I couldn't help but notice that she was wearing short shorts that displayed perfect legs and one of those sleeveless blouses that tied under her breasts, leaving her midriff bare. Her hair was longer than the last time I saw her, now falling well below her shoulders.

As I climbed the steps to her porch, she ran to meet me and gave me a quick hug and a kiss on the cheek.

"It's so good to see you again Dusty!" she exclaimed. "How was your trip?"

"Better than last time and I slept most of the way across the country so I don't feel jet lagged."

"Come sit on the swing with me and tell me all about your adventures since I saw you last," she ordered, taking my hand in hers.

We spent a pleasant hour talking. I had concluded months before that she was bright, witty, and good looking. This time around I had to amend the list, substituting 'beautiful' for good looking and adding 'sexy' into the mix, mostly due to the generous amount of skin that was visible in the warm weather. Trying hard not to stare, I kept up my end of the conversation as best as I could.

"I've decided to go ahead and enter the University this fall," she announced. "I don't have to declare a major right away, but I love math and I think I'd like to teach someday so I'll take courses that lead in that direction. What are your plans?"

"On Monday, I'm going over to the admissions office at the University just to check things out. If I enroll, I'd like to put my Navy experience to good use, maybe majoring in electrical engineering. I also need to find a job," I answered.

"I think the school gives some sort of veteran's preference," Holly offered.

"That's what my Dad says. They should be happy to have my GI Bill money, and I'll be happy to give it to them, if they'll take me on as a student. My high school record isn't going to impress them very much."

"Yeah, but you're an old man now so they'll probably make an exception in your case," she said with a grin, poking a finger into my ribs for emphasis.

Just then my cell phone chirped. It was my mother.

"What's up Mom?" I asked, rolling my eyes in Holly's direction.

"Why don't you invite Holly to dinner tonight?"

"What a nice idea. I'll ask her."

Holly did not seem to be the least bit surprised when I repeated my mother's invitation, accepting immediately and informing me that her mother was not going to be home for dinner anyway. She would be eating alone if she didn't come to our house.

I'm a little slow sometimes, but it only took me about a microsecond to figure out that all this had been prearranged. I didn't mind at all.

"Holly says she'll be happy to join us. What time is dinner?"

"We'll eat about six-thirty, but Holly can come over early if she likes. She's always welcome here."

"Okay. And by the way, I won't be home for lunch. Holly and I are going to grab a sandwich and continue to get reacquainted," I told her, knowing she would be thrilled. Holly just arched one eyebrow and looked at me with a little smile.

"That's wonderful Dusty!" Mom gushed into the phone, laying it on pretty thick. "See you both later. Don't eat too much and spoil your dinner."

"And just what makes you think I want to have lunch with you," Holly inquired with a smile as I terminated the call.

"You don't have to. I just wanted to get Mom off the phone."

"Actually, I'd love to," she responded, making my stomach do an odd little flip. "Can we go to Milo's?"

Milo's was a pizza and sandwich shop that had been in the same location since before I was born. Everyone in the neighborhood had eaten there a thousand times. It was only a few blocks away and served excellent food.

"Sure," I replied.

During the fifteen minute stroll to Milo's, Holly and I spent the time talking about whatever popped into our heads. As we talked, I realized that my mother was right; Holly seemed a lot older than eighteen. She wasn't worldly because she lacked experience, but she was well aware of current events and had strong opinions about social issues. By the time we arrived at the sandwich shop, I realized that I liked her very much and I wanted to spend a lot more time with her.

Dinner at my parent's house was a pleasant affair. Mom is an excellent cook who likes to show off her culinary skills. Dad should have been a stand-up comedian. He had everyone in stitches much of the time. My sister, her husband, and the twins stopped by after dinner for an impromptu reunion. Sis had been Holly's baby sitter for several years so they were well acquainted. Holly was clearly comfortable with the entire family. It was good to be home.

Holly had to work a double shift on Saturday so we didn't see each other, settling instead for a lengthy phone conversation late in the evening. Sunday was a different matter. Neither of us had anything pressing to do, so we took Holly's ancient Jeep Wrangler on a dry run to find the University admissions office before my visit the following day.

Holly was familiar with the campus, having already taken two college-level math courses there while still a senior in high school. I didn't realize it at the time, but Holly would later save my academic ass on more than one occasion once school started. I was woefully deficient in math for an aspiring engineering student.

Sunday night was my turn to be the dinner guest. Holly's mother was also a good cook. It crossed my mind that I would have to be careful with my eating habits now that I was home, or I'd end up weighing three hundred pounds before the summer was over.

We had a pleasant dinner before Holly and I were shooed outside while her mom took care of the dishes. After a lengthy walk around the neighborhood, stopping often to converse with neighbors, we settled back into the now-familiar porch swing. Without thought, I put my arm around Holly's shoulders to pull her close and she snuggled against me as though she belonged there.

****

Monday turned out to be the most productive day of my life. I borrowed one of my parent's cars, and by ten o'clock was seated in front of an admissions counselor named Monica. She had obtained an electronic copy of my high school transcript and was staring at it with a frown.

"We can overcome this," she finally announced. "We have a lot of leeway where adult education is concerned."

I had already provided her with pertinent parts of my military record. I was always near the top of my class in military training. The Navy teaches you exactly what they want you to know without wasting time on peripheral issues.

Here's an example. Basic trigonometry is needed to understand alternating current theory. I was taught to remember sine, cosine, and tangent using the following mnemonic: 'Suzy Can't Tell Oscar Has A Hairy Old Ass.' And then there was the resistor color code. 'Bad Boys Rape Our Young Girls But Violet Gives Willingly, Get Some Now.' I strongly suspected that such things were approached differently in college.

"And I see that this Lieutenant thinks highly of you," she said as she waived my letter of recommendation in the air. "This will do just fine as a character reference."

By eleven o'clock I was enrolled in school for the fall semester. I had been given a substantial amount of credit for 'life experience' and Navy schooling that would take care of many of my elective courses. That allowed me to take a lighter course load than normal. To be a full-time GI Bill student, a minimum number of credit hours had to be taken, but it didn't seem too burdensome. I would be taking a remedial math course, English for engineers, elementary CAD/CAM, and freshman chemistry the first semester.

When I mentioned to the counselor that I needed to find a job, preferably one that used my skills as an electrician, she picked up the phone, had a short conversation, and then handed the receiver to me.

"This is Dusty Rhodes," I said.

"Yeah, right," came the reply. "What's your real name?"

"Dustin," I answered.

"Okay Dusty," he said with a chuckle, "My name is Ben and the lady you've been talking to is my wife. I'm the utilities manager for the University. Come talk to me. Monica will give you directions."

After thanking the counselor profusely, I took off for Ben's office. Thirty minutes later I had a full time job as an electrician for the summer. If I was as good as my letter said I was, I would have all the hours of work that I could cram into my schedule once classes started. I would start first thing in the morning.

I couldn't believe my good fortune. Holly was working so I dropped by the supermarket just in time to catch her before her lunch break.

"That's wonderful!" she exclaimed as we picked through the market's salad bar and took a small table in the common area.

"I'm pretty excited," I admitted. "Now all I need to do is get a car."

"Looking for a hot rod?" she asked with a grin.

"Nope, just basic transportation that gets decent gas mileage. I have quite a bit of money saved and, with the GI Bill and part time work during the school year; I won't have any financial issues if I'm reasonably frugal. And I also need to get an apartment before school starts."

"When my Dad died there was enough insurance money to provide for me and Mom and also to set aside for college. Plus she's been very successful in real estate. I'll work part time like you, but my finances will be okay. I'm going to live at home for my freshman year. After that I'll see about some other living arrangement."

"Let's celebrate tonight," I suggested. "Let me take you out to dinner."

"Shouldn't you be saving your money?"

"I think I can handle a real date from time to time," I answered.

Holly looked at me for a long moment and then just nodded her head in acknowledgement of my use of the D-word.

"I'll pick you up at seven o'clock if that's convenient."

"Seven is fine," she said with a dazzling smile. "Should I dress up?"

"I'm wearing a sport coat and tie if that helps you decide. I thought we'd go to Luigi's."

"I love Luigi's!" Holly declared. "I know just what to wear. But now I need to get back to work. Congratulations Dusty. I am so happy that everything seems to be going well for you."

"Me too," I said, thinking that things were only getting better now that I was going to spend the evening with her.

****

After calling my mother to let her know I would not be having dinner at home, I spent the rest of the afternoon looking at used cars. Several seemed to fit my needs and my wallet but I decided to sleep on the decision.

When I got home, Mom and Dad were enjoying a pre-dinner cocktail.

"Want one?" asked my father.

"No thanks. I'm taking Holly out to dinner, if I can borrow the car again."

"I'll go you one better," he said. Mom was grinning from ear to ear. "Your mother and I have been talking. The car is yours. We've been thinking about getting a new car for some time now. Your coming home has given us all the incentive we need."

"I...I...don't know what to say," I stammered. Dad's car was a four-year-old Honda Pilot and he was religious about keeping it maintained. I knew it was in better condition than anything I had looked at earlier in the day.

"A simple 'thank you' will do," Mom replied. "We're happy to have you home and happy to help you out a little while you get used to being a civilian again."

"Thank you! Thank you both! You can't believe what a great day this has been," I said and then proceeded to tell them of my good fortune with school and finding work.

'That's wonderful, dear," said my mother, "and now you have a date with Holly. That should be the perfect end to a perfect day."

****

When I arrived at Holly's at seven sharp her mother met me at the door.

"Come on in Dusty. Holly will be down shortly. I understand you've had a really good day."

"It has been unbelievable Mrs. Blake. I'm enrolled in school for the fall, I have a job for the summer and into the school year, and my folks just gave me their Honda as a coming home present."

"Good for you!"

Footsteps on the stairs diverted our attention as Holly made her entrance. I was stunned into silence by her appearance.

Holly was wearing a printed sleeveless dress with lots of red to compliment her long blonde hair. The hem stopped about six inches above her knees. Three inch heels showcased a pair of elegant legs. She displayed no cleavage but the swell of her shapely breasts was plainly evident. There was little makeup because she didn't need any. She was carrying a small clutch purse and she was gorgeous.

"Don't you have anything to say?" she inquired with a smile as her mother grinned at my stunned expression.

"Only that you are absolutely beautiful," I croaked after a long pause.

"You two have fun," ordered Mrs. Blake. "I'll probably be asleep when you get home. I have an early showing tomorrow."

Luigi's was a small hole-in-the-wall Italian restaurant that enjoyed a fine reputation for excellent food, modest prices, and a cozy ambience. When I made reservations earlier in the day, I asked for a secluded table. I was not disappointed. The maître de escorted us to a table tucked into a corner. It was perfect.

Dinner was also perfect and so was the company. Holly couldn't drink because of her age so we did nicely with a couple of bottles of Pellegrino sparkling water during the meal. Coffee and tiramisu rounded everything out. Throughout the hour and a half we lingered over dinner, Holly seemed to be everything I could wish for in a female companion. I was completely enchanted.

Alex and I had enjoyed many dinners similar to this one but, somehow I always felt like I was a little bit in over my head; the star pupil, but a pupil nonetheless. I'm not complaining. Alex was a wonderful woman who taught me a lot. We had some great times together and I loved her, at least for a time.

To be fair, Holly and I had not spent very much time together so we still had much to learn. But from my perspective, I was more than willing to devote all of my spare time to being in her company. And I fervently hoped she felt the same way.

We took the long way back to her house so it was pushing ten o'clock when I escorted her up the steps to her front door.

"Let's have a glass of wine," she suggested. "Mom allows me to drink at home."

"You can't drink wine," I said with a grin, "you're only eighteen."

"Right. I can't drink wine, but I can join the Army in the morning, go overseas to some isolated corner of the world and get killed defending my country. That would be legal. Or better yet, I can move to California and make a bunch of porno movies. That would be quite legal also," she announced with a bit of an edge in her voice. Apparently I had hit a nerve.

"How about a glass of wine instead?" I countered and then began to laugh.

Holly laughed with me. Then we recovered and went inside where I demonstrated my wine opening skills. Mrs. Blake was nowhere in sight, so I assumed she had retired for the night.

"Let's take these out onto the porch," Holly suggested after I had poured two generous glasses of a nice Italian red.

Taking our now-customary seats on her porch swing, we sat very close together and sipped the wine in silence for a few minutes.

"Are we officially dating now, or was this just a one-time celebratory event?" Holly suddenly inquired.

I didn't hesitate.

"It's official as far as I'm concerned."

"Then I think it would be entirely appropriate for you to kiss me," she proclaimed.

Relieving her of her half-empty glass, I set it on the small end table next to the swing, placed mine nearby, and pulled her into my arms.

For a first kiss, it was easily the most exciting I had ever experienced. To be truthful, I probably had no more than a half dozen first kisses under my belt, but I realized at once that this one was different.

It started tentatively, like we were taking the measure of one another, but it quickly accelerated into the kind of kiss that features pounding hearts and probing tongues. After a millisecond or so to catch our breath, we did it again. And then again.