Educating Harry Ch. 15

Story Info
Joe learns patience, Maria says go! Harry teaches patiently.
5.6k words
4.66
12.6k
3

Part 15 of the 20 part series

Updated 10/26/2022
Created 03/13/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This chapter is in distinct contrast to the last, it returns to the main theme of the series and is perhaps the most romantic so far.

Australianisms

Chook = hen or adult chicken. Calling an elderly woman an old chook is not terribly polite but usually is an address indicating some affection for the person

The bell rang loudly. It was an old fashioned mechanical contraption which had to be pulled, and once pulled it only stopped when it had a mind to.

"Goodness," exclaimed Susan to herself as she went to the door, "He's early"

"Joe, I did not expect you to quite so soon, did you get a cab?"

"No, Aunt Diane, Mrs Salt gave me a lift from the airport, she was meeting an old friend of hers and she brought me along as well."

"Oh," said Susan frowning slightly, "I would have thought she might have stopped by for a moment, just to say hello."

"I expect they had a lot to talk about."

"Anyway it's good to see you," she kissed him briefly on the cheek, "Come on in, we can have a coffee while lunch is cooking. How do you like it?"

Joe told her and Susan took mugs from a cupboard; Joe smiled to himself as he watched Susan stretch up to the high shelf. On the drive from the airport he had wondered to himself whether the original dazzling impact Susan had made on him would repeat itself. It only took the warmth of a friendly greeting, and a simple graceful movement to captivate him all over again, he couldn't understand it. He was all too aware that although he knew, he was instantly entranced, Susan was not. She was friendly, clearly interested and pleased to see him, but for her it went no further than that. "Now," she smiled handing him his coffee, "Everything is on track for lunch in about forty five minutes, so you can tell me what you have been up to."

"Umm, where shall I start, in the US perhaps; we have worked in partnership with a US company for a number of years and following recent acquisitions by both of our companies we realised that maybe a partial assets swap might be mutually beneficial. I have been having a look at what they might put into the deal, and one of their people has been doing the same with the operations here that they are interested in."

"And that is why you were in Chicago?"

"Yes, which as you know gave me the chance to meet Alice... we got on pretty well, or at least I think we did. My guess is that she has already given you a pretty detailed account."

"She has," confirmed Susan, "And so did Sarah, though hers was rather different."

"I can imagine, but did Alice tell you about her questions?"

"Well, she told me she asked a lot."

"She certainly did," agreed Joe "In fact at the end of the meal she pulled out a little notebook and checked a list she had made; to be sure that she had covered everything."

Susan burst out laughing, "A list, that is so typical, she likes to think she has organised herself."

"Better than that, Alice had three lists, the first was headed, 'questions I should ask,' the second was, 'questions Mum should have asked,' and the third was, 'questions we shouldn't ask, but would like to know.' Your daughter is pretty direct you know."

"I hope you weren't offended at all."

"Of course not, in many ways she is very like you, not just in looks but in small mannerisms, for example when she is perplexed for a moment she frowns slightly and tilts her head to one side exactly as you do."

"Do I, I hadn't noticed that myself."

Joe and Susan continued to chat for perhaps another half hour when the timer on the oven rang. "Right everything's ready, I'll get it out of the oven and you can open a bottle of wine."

Within a few minutes Susan had the meal on the table. "It's a boned leg of lamb with rosemary and the vegetables are sweet potatoes, carrots and parsnips cooked in the meat pan... I thought you might like lamb, because it's not eaten in the States anything like as frequently as it is here... a sort of reminder of home cooking."

"Mmmm, it smells really good," said Joe appreciatively, "My own cooking tends to be a bit hit and miss, and like most single guys I eat too many take aways."

"I hope you will like it, but hey, you forgot to open the wine.

"Ah no, I didn't forget, I can't drink today, because I'm flying the plane back to Sydney; I have been learning to fly for a while and am at the stage where I can fly solo but not at night, that's why my time is limited today, I have to get back to Bankstown airport in Sydney before dark.

"So you picked up your plane in Brisbane when you got off the international flight."

"That's right, it was there for servicing, but it isn't my plane, it's Dad's, he has been pushing me to get my licence because he is going to be seventy five soon and has pretty firm views about older pilots not flying, but he didn't want to let the plane go."

Susan continued to ask Joe about his flying, and he was surprised at the technical knowledge she had of pilot training, but then he remembered, "Of course your father started and developed an air service for freight, and later passengers in the Northern part of the State didn't he."

"Yes that's right, he then amalgamated his business with the man who initially became his partner, and who later became my husband."

"So I suppose you picked up your know how about flying when you were doing the accounts for the company."

"Well partly," said Susan disarmingly, "But it was not a huge company, and I was directly involved in the operations as well."

Joe missed the cue and Susan let it pass, she enjoyed Joe's infectious enthusiasm, and listened closely as he gave her a blow by blow account of his limited flying experience to date. Lunch was soon finished and Susan suggested they sit on the terrace and chat for a while. The conversation was just as easy and an outsider would have considered they were getting on like a house on fire: they were, but as Joe realised, for Susan she was prepared to be friends, but at least for now that was all, whereas he had fallen for her completely. Joe knew instinctively though, that he shouldn't pressure Susan too much, but he did want to make sure he developed their relationship.

"There was something else I particularly want to ask you Susan."

"What's that?"

"For a date, a very particular date... every year a dance, no a ball is held in Sydney called the Governors Ladies Ball, you might have heard of it."

"Yes I have, it's been going for years hasn't it, very traditional, very very exclusive."

"Yes it is, it's run by a committee of rather formidable older ladies, only five and my mother is one of them, in fact this year she is the Chairman."

"Well it is kind of you to ask but I might not be able to, I've never learned any of that old fashioned type of dancing, and I would have to find somewhere to stay for the weekend... when is it anyway?"

"It's not until the middle of February, ten weeks away, and I'm going to be overseas again for quite a bit of that time, as for somewhere to stay that's easy, you can stay at my place. As for the dancing I don't know about that but I'll think of something."

"Well I..."

"At least don't say no."

"Alright," Susan realised he was very keen, and didn't want to spoil the day by letting him down, at least not yet.

"Great," responded Joe delighted with her response, "Now I only have about ninety minutes before I have to leave, so I wondered whether you could show me round a bit, as I didn't have time to see much of Hawksworth when I was here last."

"Ok, well if you like we'll take a walk, maybe to the top of the hill, and I can point everything out from there, it isn't too hot today so it should be a good walk."

Susan led Joe through the house, up the steadily increasing slope of the garden behind, and past the tennis court. Eventually they came to a small gate which gave access to the bush land beyond. Joe turned for a moment and looked down, "I didn't realise you had such a big place."

"Yes the land is a bit more than a hectare and the house was much too big even when Alice was at home, but now she has gone I will have to do something about it... but I have known it all my life, so am a bit reluctant to change. Alice leaving has made me realise that I have reached a crossroads in my own life."

Joe did not reply and they started a steady climb through the dry bush. In a little less than half an hour they emerged into a clearing on the flat summit of the hill.

"Let's go over to the seat," Susan indicated a bench about one hundred metres further on, "There is a gap in the trees which gives a clear view of most of the town."

They sat down and Susan started to explain the detail of Hawksworth which was spread out before them. She explained first, how during a flood in the very early days of settlement the river had changed its course, and how that disaster for the early settlers had proved a boon for the town as one hundred hectares of land in the centre of town had been left undeveloped for fear of flooding, and it was now a park and sports fields. Susan pointed out all the small details which she knew so intimately, until after ten minutes or so she suddenly stopped.

"I'm sorry, I must be boring you, I don't usually go on so, it's just that I know and love this place so much."

"You would never bore me," claimed Joe valiantly with a smile, but he had begun to wonder in the past few minutes whether Susan would ever be happy anywhere else...or with anyone else. But then she surprised him.

"I am attached to Hawksworth, to my home, my friends, but you know Joe, since Alice left, I have begun to wonder whether I am too attached, whether I should move on in some way. When Alice was born my future was taken out of my control, in that my first responsibility was to her. Had that not happened, I would probably have gone to Uni at eighteen and who knows after that. Instead I went into the family business, got some qualifications, did ok I suppose, but it was all within this local context, maybe it's time for me to leave my comfort zone, see something of the world, but so far I haven't made my mind up."

"Well," Joe smiled, "If I can help you with that decision..."

Susan laughed "Joe you're a good man and I'm not so stupid that I don't know where you're coming from, but it's early days, for me at least, and you should understand that. I am not committed to any particular thing and I might take a while to make up my mind. You understand?" she added.

"I understand," responded Joe, "So long as you understand that I might be a bit impatient from time to time."

"Good, well come on then, we had better be getting back otherwise you will be late."

Joe and Susan had not been back ten minutes when Diane's old Holden swung into the drive. With her as she got out was another elderly woman, immaculately dressed and of about the same age. Susan stepped forward, "Hello let me introduce myself, I'm Susan Tremaine, you must be the woman, Joe calls, Diane's friend."

"I am, she replied with a big smile, and I am also Ellie Callaghan, Joe's mother."

"I had a hunch you might be," laughed Susan, "But I didn't want to spoil Joe's surprise."

The introductions were soon completed when Joe intervened, "I'm sorry to interrupt but really we have to get going or I might be too late."

"I had intended to take you out to the airport myself Joe, and I would still like to, we can all fit into my car, I'll just get my keys and you can you put all your things into the Audi .

Ellie Callaghan watched Susan walk into the house, "Joe told me Diane," she said ignoring her son's presence, "That she was the most beautiful woman he had ever met, but if she is half as smart as you say she is, he will have to work hard for her."

Diane took the lead from her friend in ignoring Joe, "Yes it's pretty obvious that Joe is head over heels, but Susan isn't, my guess is that Susan has him pegged as better than an acquaintance, and maybe on the way to becoming a good friend.

Joe laughed, "Aunt Diane you must have been eavesdropping, that's almost exactly what Susan herself told me only half an hour ago, said I would have to be patient."

"Did she?" his mother said surprised, "Well good for her."

At that moment Susan rejoined them with her car keys and they were soon ready to leave. "Sit in the back with Diane Joe; I want to get to know Susan a little better."

Susan was well aware that Ellie wanted to know her because of her son's interest, but found that she was captivated by the older woman anyway. She soon realised that Ellie's light hearted and relaxed chatter was allied to a sharp brain.

After a while Joe interrupted, "I asked Susan about the Ball in February.

"Did you, oh good," replied his mother, "You know," she added turning to Susan "We will be so pleased to have you; I have been trying to get Joe to come every year for the last ten at least."

"But," responded Joe, "Susan has a small problem and I don't know the answer to it."

"I can't dance, especially the traditional ballroom styles"

"Oh we must not let that stop you, you're the only one Joe has ever asked; but what to do," pondered Ellie

"I might have the answer," intervened Diane from the back seat, "I know somebody, someone who might be able to teach you."

"Alright," smiled Susan, "If you're absolutely sure of that then I would love to come."

"There you are," grinned Joe, "I knew I could persuade you."

"Don't over rate yourself Joe Callaghan, "I could say no to you easily enough, but your mother and Diane, they would be a seriously tough proposition.

"You're probably right," he agreed, delighted with the outcome, "Each in her own way could get the better of an army, but with both together, immediate surrender is the only option."

Both of the older women smiled and neither felt any compunction to disagree.

The women had a few moments to themselves at the airport as Joe completed the final checks and preparations. "Susan I wanted to ask you," Ellie started, she hesitated then started again, "Joe, my son is quite clearly besotted with you...you are aware of that." Susan nodded and smiled. "I don't know whether you know but about eight years ago Joe fell for another woman, they were engaged but she let him down, walked out for another man forty eight hours before the wedding."

Susan nodded again, "Yes I knew, he told me so himself."

"Did he, that surprises me, he usually hates talking about it. Now I know Joe's a grown man," added Ellie wryly, "But I couldn't bear to see him go through that again...that woman," Ellie added fiercely, "That woman humiliated him, humiliated him personally and publicly. I know I should not take on so, but grown man or not, he's still my son, and well, being a mother... you'd understand..." Ellie tailed off.

Susan thought for a moment before responding, "Ellie, I will never humiliate Joe but it is possible, in fact quite probable that I may disappoint him." She thought carefully again before continuing "When I was fourteen I made a mistake which has affected the whole of my life since. I have never regretted having Alice for a second, but having her reshaped my life. Consequently, I am very cautious about making commitments, but, once I have made a commitment I will stick to it."

"Good girl, I couldn't ask for any more," was all Ellie could say.

A short while later Joe and Ellie had been left at the airport and Diane and Susan were on their way home. "Are you going to tell me who my dance teacher is to be" asked Susan?

"Not yet, I haven't asked him myself"

"He may not have time anyway," ventured Susan.

"We shall have to see," smiled Diane, but with the kind of conviction that suggested it would be no problem at all.

The following morning when Harry came down to breakfast his aunt was already on to her second coffee. She said little as she methodically filled in all the 'across' clues in the cryptic crossword. Diane finished those by the time Harry had started to eat and completed the 'down' clues a few seconds after he had finished.

"Now Harry," she announced standing up, "Listen to this;" she used the remote control she had on the table to turn the cd player on.

"Hey, that's one of the tunes you used when you taught me to dance a couple of years ago."

"Well come on, show me whether you remember it." Harry and his aunt waltzed around the room before Diane pressed the button to change to a quickstep, they continued for another next twenty minutes going through the entire repertoire he had learned.

"Well Harry, I really did not expect you to remember so well."

Harry smirked slightly "That's because I have had some practice you didn't know about."

"And what was that?"

"Last year when I went over to the States to see Mum and Dad, you must have mentioned to them that you had taught me...anyway my sisters decided that although dancing with their younger brother was very un-cool they would put up with me if they could learn, actually we had a lot of fun, and considering that Mel was six months pregnant at the time she did really well."

"Good, in that case, I can ring up my old friend and tell her that you would be happy to teach her as well."

"Oh hang on ... I didn't say... I mean, I don't know," spluttered Harry, completely wrong footed.

"All you need to remember Harry," his aunt responded, smiling wickedly, "Is a bet... a bet that you lost, remember."

"Oh, ok, I suppose so, the tractor in the old house wasn't it. Ok then, I suppose you had better let the old chook know that I'll do it."

"I will do so now," decided his aunt firmly, and went inside to get the telephone."

Harry heard snatches of his aunts conversation, "Yes Harry, that's right...He's very good... really, I taught him myself." And then after a silence, "Excellent that's settled then... goodbye."

Aunt Diane returned, "All organised," she announced, "Your old chook, as you so ungraciously put it, is expecting you for her first lesson this evening at seven o'clock."

"Ok, I suppose I can't avoid it, who is she and where do I have to go?"

"You already know where she lives, and you also know the lady," said Aunt Diane rising from her seat... "It is Susan Tremaine. And Harry," his aunt added with a smile, "You look very silly, sitting there startled, with your mouth open, though it does give me a better understanding of what you young people mean by the expression, gobsmacked."

Susan anticipated Harry's visit not with worry, but just a little trepidation, she had made a commitment to a date with Joe which originally it seemed she might not have to fulfil, but then events had fallen quickly into place, and in a few minutes Harry Salt would arrive for her first lesson. "It makes no difference," she told herself, "That he was Alice's lover... or that he had subsequently become the lover of her best friend." She dismissed from her mind the memory of their brief evening at Maria's house, how he had removed the pasta stain from her tennis dress, from her breast ..."Of no consequence," she told herself, "None at all."

Harry's thoughts were less complicated as he drove over. He had no idea that Susan knew very directly of his past relationship with Alice and would have been astonished to learn that Maria had discussed with Susan in intimate detail almost every facet of their lovemaking. Comparatively Harry was an open book to Susan but all Harry wondered was, "Had she really pressed her breast, her hard nipple into his hand... just for an instant when he had cleaned her tennis dress... had she?" Harry shook himself, "Don't be stupid, you're imagining things," but had he been asked, Harry would have to have admitted that the brief incident had loomed large in his mind, since he had learned the identity of his student.

"Hello Harry," Susan greeted him warmly, "I'm sorry to be such an imposition," she added apologetically, "But Diane really wouldn't take no for an answer."

12