EJAX-472: Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
fmcchris
fmcchris
573 Followers

As for the man who helped saved not only my life, but that of my now current boyfriend, Stephan Ambrose, all I can say is 'thank God for Barney Cole!' I found out last week that he and his wife Janine had separated and that divorce papers are being drawn up. He told me that he loved her, but that her negativity was ruining their marriage. I, of course, was not the least bit surprised to hear this. He sounded a bit down when I spoke to him, but he cheered up a little when he told me that he was recently hired as a male stripper at one of Stockholm's more upscale adult clubs.

Although not a part of the original test study, Craig Lundquist has proven to be a marvelous friend. He and Cheryl send me e-mails every day and he stops at nothing to lavish praise upon me and my work every chance he gets. It was due to his unflinching courage and loyalty that a cure for the drug's debilitating side effects was developed, helping him and all the other men to resume a normal life. He is an exemplary individual.

I could not end this entry without remembering a woman who, although I could never consider her a friend, was nonetheless a victim of her own self-inflicted torment and is therefore deserving of my pity. In those last moments at the courthouse, when I was fleeing for my life before a crowd of hysterical men and women, I chanced to look up at the balcony window and saw a frightened woman trying to evade the clutches of two angry men by stepping out onto the window's ledge. I was to learn in the following morning's newspaper that the men had actually tried to help her, but she did not believe them and sought to escape by walking along the narrow concrete ledge that encircled the upper story. She didn't get far before she lost her footing and fell fifty feet to the ground below. On the way to the hospital she was pronounced dead; she had died from internal hemorrhaging. Her body was flown back to Cambridge, Massachusetts, where she was buried alongside her parents in the family crypt. Only her younger brother, his wife, and a few colleagues had attended her funeral.

Millicent Beechcroft will remain nothing more than a footnote in scientific history, but to me she will always occupy a special place in my mind. A reminder of what fate awaits those who desire without struggling, who dream without working, who live without loving. And in her final moments on this earth I like to think that when she stepped off that ledge, she was somehow mysteriously transfigured, and the crude, predatory creature she once had been had now turned into a beautiful, white dove that flew joyously into the golden light of the setting sun, undaunted and unconcerned as it looked down upon a world filled with human misery and folly, and was grateful to no longer be part of it.

************

On the following morning Bonnie and I took our breakfast out on the veranda. Philip was gone on a three-day business trip to Rome and we had the house all to ourselves. It was a glorious day, full of sunshine and the aroma of sweetly scented flowers filling the air. The ocean breeze caressed the shoreline below with a gentle zephyr and the cries of gulls could be heard far above as they circled the high cliffs that rose up into the mist-laden mountains to the north.

Her butler, Carlo, had prepared for us a light breakfast consisting of juice, coffee, fruit, scrambled eggs, and croissants. He was extremely handsome and served his mistress with the utmost attention and respect. Unlike some of the other servants in the household, he was recently hired and had no idea what my sister had in store for him. Eventually he would succumb willingly to her overpowering charm and feminine strength, as most men in her employ unfailingly did. But this was why he was chosen in the first place. My sister had always enjoyed keeping a stable full of studs that she could call upon in a moment's notice, and she did not fail to look with great pride upon her most recent addition.

After he had finished serving us, she dismissed him.

"Thank you Carlo, you may go," she said.

"Yes, Ms. Olmsted," he said as he walked out.

"He's gorgeous," I said. And he speaks excellent English."

"He should," she replied. "He's got his doctorate in English literature. He teaches at the University in Bologna, but he's off on sabbatical."

"To serve you?"

"Hey, I pay these people a lot of money," she said defensively. "You know, for their services."

I knew what she meant. "Poor unsuspecting man," I said taking a sip of my juice.

It was good to feel the warmth of the sun on my back as I ate. Rarely did I have the opportunity to relax and just enjoy life for its own sake, but here all this was possible.

Bonnie and I talked about the trip to Venice, Florence, and Milan that we were going to take together in a few days, and during the course of the conversation the subject of my birthday came up.

"Tomorrow is your big day sis," she said. "Anything special you want to do?"

I shook my head. "The trip to Venice is all I need."

"Yeah," but that's still several days away. I'm talking about tomorrow."

"No," I replied. "Let's just have a quiet dinner here by ourselves. I don't need to do anything special."

She looked at me and wondered. "Boy, you and I are so different about stuff like that. I like to go out and socialize and whoop it up. But you? Give you a book and the ocean and goodbye!"

After we had finished breakfast we decided to take a leisurely walk along the beach. The sand was white and shimmering, and felt warm beneath my bare feet. For several minutes we said nothing to each other, preferring instead to just walk and enjoy the spectacular scenery. Finally, Bonnie took my hand in hers and gave me a playful tickle.

"What are you thinking about sis?"

"Am I that transparent?" I answered.

"Only to me. I know when there's something on your mind."

We walked a little further along until we reached a small outcropping of rock that rose up from the shoreline and extended all the way to the grassy dunes several hundred feet inland. I climbed up onto one of the more massive boulders and sat down, turning my body to face the sea.

"When I think of this beautiful place I find it hard to believe that only a month has passed since all the craziness started. It seems so far away and remote to me now. Almost like it never happened."

"I know what you mean," Bonnie said, sitting down beside me. "This place does tend to make one forget things—thebad things."

I sat there silently for a while letting the cooling ocean breeze flow over my body.

"Doesn't that feel great!" I said, extending my arms to welcome the onrush of air.

Bonnie looked at me with a funny grin. "That's so unlike you sis."

"What do you mean?"

"That little thing you just did with your arms. It's not like you."

"What do you mean, this?" I said, performing the same movements but only in an even more exaggeration fashion.

"Are you okay?" she said, looking at me suspect.

"Oh, Bonnie, how could I be anything else!" I replied, as I tilted my head back and raised my outstretched arms up toward the radiant, pastel-blue sky. "I just love the smell of the ocean!"

"Did you get into my wacky weed sis?" she asked, looking concerned.

I laughed long and hard. "No Bonnie, you know I don't do that stuff."

"Well come down off your cloud will you? You're making me nervous."

She was not used to seeing me act so spontaneously, and neither was I. But something in the irresistibly sunny Mediterranean atmosphere made me feel alive in a way I had never felt before. And I could not help but express my joy despite my usually reserved nature.

"I don't want to go home Bonnie," I said.

"You don't have to," she replied, leaning back on her elbows. "You're welcome to stay here as long as you like."

"Hmm..." I said, watching the waves break upon the shore.

"Is that what's bothering you?" she asked, studying my reaction.

"No. But as much as I love it here, my life is back home. And there's Stephan now too."

"He is a wonderful man, isn't he?"

"A very good man," I said, seeing his smiling face before my eyes. "I think I'm in love with him."

Bonnie's face lit up. "I knew it! I knew it!" she said overjoyed. "I knew you two were destined to be together. You can see it just from the way you two look at each other. Oh, that's wonderful sis!"

She gave me a powerful hug.

"You know sis," she said, "you've changed."

"Oh yeah?" I replied. In what way?"

"I'm not sure if it's because you're in love or the influence this place has on you, but you've seemed to open up...like a flower after a spring rain. I think it's great. I'm just not used to it."

I studied her face in the unforgiving light of the hot sun and saw a woman of uncompromising beauty; a face much like my own except that the extra years and the worries of recent events had placed a few more fine lines around the corners of her eyes.

"You've changed too," I said, touching her hand gently.

We lingered on the beach for another hour or so, talking about the details of our upcoming trip. As we made our way back to the villa our conversation came around to the subject of Dr. Beechcroft, and the unfortunate way she had died.

"May God forgive me sis, but at one point I really wanted to kill that woman."

"You nearly did," I said.

"She was evil. You can't tell me she wasn't evil."

"Was she really evil Bonnie? Or was she just...tortured? I can't help but feel that if we had reached out to her, she might still be alive today."

I don't know sis," she said, mulling it over. "But from my point of view that's a long shot. In any case, you have nothing to feel guilty about. She brought that misery upon herself."

"That's what's so sad about it," I said, as I headed out before her toward the house.

My birthday came and went. Bonnie and I celebrated alone but Carlo was called upon to serve the birthday cake and was ordered to do an impromptu striptease in my honor. At first he thought Bonnie was kidding. But when she ordered him again—this time in Italian—he knew she was serious. He put on a good show but never removed his bikini underwear, which, although he had a splendid physique, I was grateful for. She presented me with a beautiful pearl necklace, which she and Philip had picked up in Crete some weeks earlier. It was the most stunning piece of jewelry I had ever seen.

After dinner we took a stroll onto the beach and then returned to talk about our impending trip. Carlo made one last appearance to clean up the glasses we left behind and he and Bonnie headed toward her bedroom together. She winked at me, and with a lecherous look she indicated that I should join them, but although I found the idea tempting, I was simply too tired. She told me later that Carlo had proven to be a superb lover. Watching his sensuous dance earlier, I was not surprised.

Philip returned from Rome just in time to watch Bonnie and I depart on our trip. He seemed sad to see her leave but told us that he had much business to attend to and would appreciate having some time alone to himself. After dropping us off at the airport he kissed Bonnie goodbye and whispered something in her ear that made her cry out in surprise. She never divulged to me what he had told her, but judging by her reaction, I guessed that it must have been sexually related. I was later proven to be correct in my assumption.

The flight to Venice was uneventful. After checking into our hotel, we wasted no time in setting about taking in the sights of the remarkably beautiful city, so rich in history, architecture, and art. The young Italian men, seeing two tall, blond Swedes walking around their sacred city earned us consistent whistles and howls. The rides in the gondola were something I will always treasure.

We spent four days in the city on the water and then moved on by train to Florence and then Milan, where we spent another entire week taking in the sights. We left from Milan airport at the end of the second week of our visit, laden down with all kinds of souvenirs and trinkets. Bonnie bought Philip many fine pieces of artwork and replicas of ancient statuary, which she had shipped over to the island. In all, it was one of the most enjoyable and memorable times I had ever experienced, and I was thrilled to have shared it all with my sister.

We arrived on the island late on Saturday afternoon when the sun was already beginning to dip into the horizon. Philip picked us up at the airport and after showering us both with hugs and kisses, drove us back to the villa. He seemed very animated and sang Italian love songs most of the way home. A few times I caught him and Bonnie exchange knowing glances, but at the time I thought they were of a personal and intimate nature. Little did I know what was awaiting me in that villa overlooking the ocean.

As the car pulled up to the house, it was already after sundown. Carlo came out to greet us with two other servants who took our luggage to our rooms while he drove the car into the garage. The three of us walked through the portico and up a few steps leading to the front door. Both Bonnie and Philip, who had been chatting nonstop in the car, were suddenly silent.

"Is everything all right with you too?" I asked. "You're both so quiet."

"Of course everything is all right," Bonnie assured me. "I guess everybody's tired that's all."

Philip opened the front door.

"Well I hope you have some energy left inside you ladies," he said. "Welcome home!"

Suddenly the lights came on, and from every corner of the room a tremendous shout arose.

"Happy Birthday Christiana!" came the overpowering chorus of voices.

From all sides a mass of people descended upon me. Some faces I knew, some I didn't, but all of them greeted me with warm smiles and friendly hugs. The well wishes came fast and furious and I didn't know where to look first. I had been taken completely by surprise, and that was not an easy thing to do to me.

The first thing I noticed after the initial shock had worn off, was that everyone was dressed in a Roman toga, and their very cozy demeanors alerted me that this party had been in full swing for some time already.

"You're two weeks late!" I said overjoyed, as my eyes fell upon my colleagues from the University, my friends, and, standing in the middle of everyone, Stephan.

My handsome boyfriend, now looking more like a patrician than a lawyer, embraced me and kissed me passionately.

"Happy birthday my love," he said. "Are you surprised to see me?"

"Yes! Yes! Of course I am!" I said, as I kissed him even harder. "Oh my God! Look at all of you! This is wonderful!"

I really didn't know where to look first or what to say, I was so overwhelmed by the intensity of the moment. Philip acted as my temporary bodyguard, while Bonnie ran interference with the crowd who was pressing in on me from every angle.

"Okay," she said to everyone. "Give the lady some room to breathe for Christ's sake!"

As the sea of people mulled around me, I turned to Philip who was standing next to me with a look of satisfaction on his face.

"I see you've been a busy boy while we were away."

"Actually, Bonnie and I have been planning this for weeks. It's my way of saying thank you."

I kissed him on the cheek. "What a wonderful surprise!"

My eyes swept over the crowd from left to right, searching for familiar faces.

"Here we are Chris!" Michelle said, waving to me. She was only a few feet away but had to fight her way forward to get to me. Behind her stood Sheila and Jennifer who followed close behind.

"Hey, you guys!" I said, hugging them each in turn as they arrived. "It's so good to see you all."

"Anna sends her regards," Michelle said.

"It's too bad she couldn't make it," I replied. "How is she?"

"She's fine. She's teaching summer sessions otherwise she would have come. You look fantastic Chris."

"Must be the climate," Sheila noted. "It's so invigorating."

"When did you get in?"

"This morning. And we've been partying ever since."

Jennifer giggled. "There's some prime Italian beef hanging around here Christiana let me tell you."

"That's all she's been thinking about," Michelle said.

"Well it's hard not to think about it," Jennifer replied. "I'd love to see what's underneath their togas!"

We all laughed.

"I must say you girls look lovely in those outfits," I said, inspecting the loose fitting white robes.

"That was your nutty sister's idea," Michelle said. "But they do look kind of sexy in a strange way."

"If you like bed sheets!" Sheila laughed.

"Hey Chris! Chris!"

Making her way up the middle of the crowd with a drink in her hands was Rebecca, looking like the goddess Venus herself.

"Happy birthday boss!" she said, flinging her arms around me.

Closely following in her wake were Maria and Lynette, and behind them Cheryl and Craig.

"This is too much!" I said, returning her hug. "I'm not used to being away from you for so long. I missed you!"

"I missed you too, Christiana. But we're all here now. Look! Here they come!"

"Happy birthday doctor Swensen!" Maria said, kissing me.

"Maria!" I said embracing her. "It's so good to see you!"

"And happy birthday from me and Big Barney!" Lynette said, reaching over Maria to kiss my cheek.

"Thank you so much," I said, as I kissed them both. "You told Barney it was my birthday?"

"He came with us," Lynette said. "There he is, right over there! Hey Barney!"

The tall, imposing figure turned his head upon hearing his name and was now making his way toward us with a big smile on his face. He looked more like Hercules than ever in his short, white toga.

"Hey doc!" he said merrily. "Happy birthday!"

He bent forward to kiss me, but I noticed that his arms went straight around Lynette's waist.

"This is fantastic," I said. "I'm so happy to see you. I'm so happy to see you all!"

"Don't forget about us!" Cheryl said, popping her head in between Maria and Lynette.

"Oh, Cheryl, you look fabulous! Hi Craig!"

"Hi doctor Swensen," he said. "Happy birthday!"

"Yes, happy birthday doctor," Cheryl said, as she squeezed herself in between the other girls. "When Bonnie told us about your party, we just had to come."

"Yeah," Craig agreed. "We wouldn't have missed it for anything."

"Congratulations on your engagement you two. I'm looking forward to the wedding."

"So are we," Cheryl said, looking lovingly at Craig.

"The other guys couldn't make it," he said. "But they wanted me to wish you a happy birthday just the same."

"That was so sweet of them," I said.

"Okay everybody," Bonnie said, suddenly appearing from the adjoining room. "My sister, husband, and I have to change into our togas. You can continue meeting and greeting later. Let's go!"

"Happy birthday sweetheart," Stephan said, kissing me. "I'll see you in a little while."

"Okay," I replied. "See you at the Forum!"

After Bonnie, Philip, and I had changed into our togas, we each went our separate ways. But before she left my side, she introduced me to several people who were in charge of running her clothing line in shops located on the mainland. The three women were all pristine examples of stunning Mediterranean beauty—tall, brunette, and olive-complexioned. I was in awe of them and told them so.

"But you are beautiful yourself, no?" a woman named Julia said to me in broken English.

The other two women smiled at me and said something to Julia in Italian.

"They say," Julia said, "that you remind them of a...a famous movie actress...Theresa, no...Terry something or other...you know...Lois Lane...Superman's girlfriend in that television show, only you have blonde hair."

"People have told me that over the years. I take it as a compliment."

fmcchris
fmcchris
573 Followers