El Paso: MistressLynn Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
_Lynn_
_Lynn_
272 Followers

"I should go in. Before..." Her voice drifted off as if she forgot what it was she had intended to say.

"It would be very easy to say yes, Logan, but in the morning would I be sure it was for the right reason?"

They stared deep into each other's eyes, as if to find answers, to see what was inside.

"You have the time to be sure, Emma. No pressure from me."

"I'm going in. It's late and I'm tired. Goodnight, Logan."

The last word came as she took the first step up to her door. A few seconds later, Emma had gone inside and closed it, with Logan left on the path. Though exhausted, sleep didn't come easy and she woke rather late to just sit over breakfast and think over all that happened at the diner the night before.

What was stopping her from saying yes? There was no doubt that she loved him. In that second, it came to her there was nothing, no valid reason. The chair fell to the floor as Emma scrambled to stand. In a hurry now, she let it stay where it landed, her mind on what she would say to Logan. In record time, she was out the door and on the way, worried that Logan would be away from the ranch.

No one seemed to be in the house. Emma turned to look around the yard and barn area for someone that might know where Logan was. Instead, there was Logan himself, deep in conversation with the stranger from the diner the night before. It was obvious neither man had noticed Emma so she walked to the barn and stopped about fifteen feet from them.

"Nice day isn't it, gentlemen?" She smiled to the men.

Logan tried to answer, tried to find his voice, and failed. He didn't even realize his newest employee had slipped into the barn.

"You look surprised to see me, Logan."

"A pleasant one, though. Let's get you out of this sun and sit on the porch, Emma." Logan turned toward the house as he spoke.

"Do you think next week is too soon for you, cowboy?"

"Too soon for what?" he asked, before it slowly dawned on him, "Emma, are you – are you sure?"

Still with his back to her, Emma couldn't see his face to tell what his thoughts were, but gave her answer in a strong voice.

"Yes."

Emma shrieked with laughter as he ran over and lifted her into his arms. Logan let out a shout that sounded like a war whoop as he carried her toward the barn. Several heads appeared around doorways as the men checked to see why their boss was making so much noise

"We're getting married next week!" He shouted out the news.

Stunned for a moment, the men just stood there, not sure they heard right. None of them had even seen Logan with a woman before. Their calm, levelheaded boss was gone. This man had a huge smile. He was excited and it was obvious he was in love.

"This beautiful lady's Emma Prescott and she's agreed to be my wife."

Logan slid Emma down the length of his body but held her close to him as the men crowded around them. The next several minutes were chaotic with introductions and congratulations.

"It's time for you boys to get to work now so I can be alone with my lady." The lightly spoken words received cheerful groans from the men as they went back to the particular job they had left behind.

"We'll be so happy, Emma, I know we will." Logan eyes reflected his love as he spoke.

"You two keep looking at each other like that and I might think there's a wedding coming up."

Miss Robbins stood under the tree with an amused look on her face. It delighted her to see Emma with a man. Everything her quiet investigation came back with on this Logan McClure had been positive. Yes, this was a good match.

"Emma's just agreed to be my wife, Miss Robbins."

"We don't have any plans made yet, but it will be next week some time. As soon as I can find a dress." Emma quickly added.

"Congratulations to you both. Emma, you're resourceful, I'm sure you'll find the perfect dress." The words from Miss Robbins were honest.

"I'm positive the right dress will show up when she least expects it." Logan looked straight at Miss Robbins as he said the words; a silent plea he hoped would come back to her when they opened the box with the dress.

"Let's get to those journals. You don't lolly-gag around when you get to be my age." Miss Robbins pronounced.

The group started toward the house in good spirits. The newly engaged couple held hands and grinned each time they spoke.

"I should go and let you two have privacy with the journals." Emma turned back as she spoke.

"No, Emma, stay. I'll make sure Miss Robbins has all the privacy she requires." Logan's reply came quickly.

"Nonsense child," Miss Robbins agreed. "You two have things to talk about. I can find a place to be alone if I need it."

Miss Robbins could see the couple didn't want to separate quite yet. Memories of a similar time in her own life brought a sad smile for her cowboy that died much too young and the wedding that never was. She came back to the present as they entered the house.

"Right through here, ladies, in the den." Logan waited until they sat before he spoke again.

"I didn't mention this last night in case the wrong person overheard. There was a necklace with the journals that you might recognize." He held the silver chain in his hand so the portrait faced Miss Robbins.

"My mother told me about a necklace her grandmother used to wear. This is it, Logan. Even without reading a single word, I know this was hers."

Miss Robbins had tears in her eyes as she studied the tiny picture in the necklace. Logan kneeled and took the weathered hand in his own.

"Then take it back to the right family where it should be," he said gently.

"Thank you, Logan. This piece was supposed to go to the next generation of Robbins, but, as you discovered, got lost along the way."

"Now you can wear it and tell the story to all your friends." Emma's suggestion brought a smile from the older woman.

"There was one other thing I found, Miss Robbins." Logan stood and went back to the table that held the next treasure. He was in front of Miss Robbins but he caressed Emma with his eyes. The look didn't go unnoticed by the older woman.

"Oh Logan, it's beautiful!" The bride-to-be gasped.

"This was Faleena's dress, but she never wore it. I may be old, but I'm not blind. This young man's eyes told me all I needed to know. Emma, there's a light in you now that's been missing for too long. Take this dress and wear it next week for your wedding. My wedding gift to you both is this necklace. Someday you can pass it down to your children."

"Miss Robbins..." Logan held Emma while she cried.

Emma Prescott looked beautiful in the cream-colored dress covered with beads and lace at the Saturday wedding. The groom Logan McClure waited at the end of the counter as she walked down the center of the diner. "Grandma" Robbins sat in the "reserved for family" booth in the corner. There were peach and apple pies for everyone at the reception.

The jukebox played on in the background.

Came a young cowboy so tall and so handsomely dressed
This one was new in town, hadn't been seen around
He was so different, he wasn't like all of the rest;

************

A special thank you goes to "drksideofthemoon" for his encouragement, support and edit of this story. Thanks also to "MarshAlien" for his ideas and edits. I hope you take a moment to vote and leave your comment or feedback on "El Paso II."

************

_Lynn_
_Lynn_
272 Followers
12