Eleanor Rigby

Story Info
He worries that his wife is too good for him.
5.5k words
4.6
259k
181

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 08/30/2017
Created 04/20/2005
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Ellie and I were married 16 years ago. I had spent much of that time waiting for the other shoe to fall, as they say. Ellie had been the prettiest girl I had ever seen. Now she was the most beautiful woman I had ever known. She had been three years behind me in school. She was the homecoming queen, the captain of the basketball team and still held school track records in the 400 and 800 meters.

To say she was popular is like saying that an eagle can fly. It just didn't begin to cover the actual fact. Ellie was a walking wet dream for every male that could draw a breath. The only reason she even knew I existed was that I lived across the street from her, and our parents were friends. That gave me the opportunity to spend time with her from the time she was in grade school.

After high school, I attended a trade school to learn carpentry. I had always been pretty handy, but I wanted to be more than a guy with a hammer. I wanted to know the best way to construct whatever I was going to build. When folks looked at a home I built, I wanted them to be know that it had to be the best.

I started working for myself after I graduated. It was a tough haul for the first few years, but the quality of my work gradually became known. Eventually, I hired a helper and then two. I had work scheduled a year in advance by the time I was 25.

Ellie went to college and earned a degree in accounting. Did I mention that she was almost as smart as she was beautiful? She went to work for a firm that took care of all my taxes and helped manage my business accounts. That was when I finally found the nerve to ask her out.

I'm around six foot tall and still weigh around 185. I never was accused of being a matinee idol. I'm pretty much a regular guy. When Ellie agreed to a date with me, I was quite surprised. I knew she had more suitors than Carter has liver pills. I warned myself that she would go out with me once or twice and then move on. I never did figure out why she kept going out with me and eventually agreed to marry me. I did know I was the luckiest guy on the planet, except for one thing.

I was always waiting for that other shoe to fall. She was beautiful, intelligent, athletic, and very personable. How long would it take for her to realize that she could do better than being with me? Even after she gave me the two most wonderful girls ever born, I still feared that it couldn't last. Jen and Audrey were the perfect daughters, at least in my book.

I did the only thing I could think to do, and that was be the best husband and father I could possibly be. I wasn't a pretty boy and I wasn't a rich guy, but I was dedicated to my family and I hoped my efforts would ward off the forces of evil; the inevitable day when Ellie realized she could do better, and resent me for keeping her from her destiny.

I was in the basement on a Sunday morning, working on finishing an entertainment room that the girls could use when their friends came over. We had a laundry chute that went from a large closet off the kitchen down to the basement. It carried any sounds that emanated from the kitchen area quite clearly to the basement.

I heard the doorbell ring and Ellie answer it. The voices were muffled at first, but as they approached the kitchen, I was able to make them out clearly. Our visitor was Helen Drake, Ellie's best friend.

"I can't stay too long, Ellie. I just had to stop in and ask you if you had heard the news. Do you know who moved back to town?" asked Helen.

"O. J. Simpson?" guessed Ellie. "Elvis? Jimmy Hoffa? Bigfoot? Osama Bin Laden? You will let me know if I am getting close, won't you?"

"Now I don't feel like telling you!" laughed Helen. "Your guesses were all pretty good, but wrong. Do you remember Dan Wilkins?"

"I have heard the name, but I can't remember where," answered Ellie. "I am sure you will help my memory."

"Right! You don't remember where you heard that name?" Helen repeated. "Weren't you yelling it the night you lost your cherry? Didn't you date him for the last two years of high school?"

"Now that you mention it, you could be right," chuckled Ellie. "Was he just over six feet tall with blue eyes and the sexiest smile ever seen on a man? Was he the quarterback on the football team? Did he pitch the baseball team to the state title?"

"I think you have the guy," agreed Helen. "I thought I would be able to jog your memory. He is divorced from that rich bitch he married and has moved back to Westbury to open a law practice. I heard that his hairline has receded a tad, but he still looks pretty good!"

"I'm not surprised he got divorced," replied Ellie. "He always had an eye for the ladies. He was the sports star with the great looks. Women were always flocking to him."

"As I recall, you were flocked a few times yourself, Ellie," laughed Helen. "Does Ted know about you and Dan? How will he take having Dan back in town?"

"He knows that Dan and I dated for a couple years. He knows I wasn't a virgin when he and I started dating after college. We never really asked each other about old flames," admitted Ellie. "It's better to let some things go unmentioned. We don't lie to each other, but we never have asked each other very many questions about the past."

"I wish Stan was like that. He hasn't stopped asking me about old boyfriends since we've been married," complained Helen. "Sometimes he seems jealous and other times he seems to get turned on when I tell him stuff. Now and then I wonder if he is one of those weird guys that wants to watch or something."

"I don't think he'd watch very long before he dug out one of his guns, Helen," Ellie cautioned. "Don't mistake a little curiosity and titillation for wanting you to have a boyfriend. I know Stan and he is from the old school. Shit would hit the fan, big time, if you ever tried it."

"How about you, Ellie?" Helen redirected the conversation. "What happens when you come face to face with Dan? How will you act? Will you hug him, shake his hand, pretend you don't know him, or go to bed with him?"

"I think I would either shake his hand or give him a hug. I haven't seen the guy in almost twenty years. He may not be too impressed with how I've changed over the years," suggested Ellie.

"Yes, you could be right about that," Helen replied sarcastically. "You've gone up a bra size, kept the same size waist, haven't developed a single wrinkle, and your tits still defy gravity! Dan will be so glad he didn't marry you."

That was the last I heard of the conversation as the two women were apparently walking to the front door. I sat down and contemplated what I had heard. I knew Ellie wasn't a virgin when we began dating, and I even suspected that Dan Wilkins was the lucky fellow that had claimed that prize. Now I knew it to be fact and that troubled me for some reason. I was happier not knowing for certain about the men she had slept with.

I also realized that my fear now had a face and a name. Rumor had it that Dan Wilkins was a high-powered corporate lawyer. He had married into a prominent family in Rhode Island and was the poster boy for the "local boy moves on to much bigger and better things" small town propaganda machine. He had become a bit of a local celebrity by doing well and staying away from his roots.

Now he was returning to Westbury to open a law practice. Combine that with being single again and I knew my Waterloo was approaching. I had never been an athlete or a scholar. They never gave out many awards for hard work. It isn't eye catching or even popular. Even though I had always expected something like this to happen, I had no plan to prevent it. Dan was everything I wasn't. You can't change human nature. In the end, I decided to do the only thing I knew, and that was to redouble my effort to be the best husband and father I could. It wasn't much of a plan, but it was all I could come up with.

A short while later, I went upstairs for a soda. Ellie was working in the kitchen.

"Did I hear someone talking with you earlier?" I asked.

"Helen stopped in to chat for a few minutes," admitted Ellie. "She didn't stay long."

There was no mention of the arrival of the studly Dan Wilkins to our town. I considered that omission as I went back to work in the basement. It was big news to Helen and Ellie, yet she never bothered telling me. She wasn't comfortable discussing her first lover, or his return. I had a bad feeling about the guy.

The next couple of weeks were uneventful. I spent every chance I had being a caring dad to my girls and husband to Ellie. I think she wondered about my attentive behavior, but never voiced any suspicions. I worked really hard at being a great lover for her. I made sure she would have a couple orgasms before I even considered finishing. I took her to dinner and took her shopping. If things went south, I wanted to be able to tell myself I had done my best.

Then things began to unravel. Ellie was the chairperson for the local hospital auxiliary. They held events to raise funds for equipment needed to keep our hospital state-of-the-art. She held the position for a few years and did a great job with it. The auxiliary had several fundraisers throughout the year. It was the standard practice to get a local businessman to co-chair an event.

Somehow, I wasn't surprised when Ellie told me that the auxiliary had asked Dan Wilkins to co-chair Casino Night, which was held every spring. I was even less surprised to find out that he had agreed. He would be working closely with Ellie for a few weeks as they put the event together.

I struggled to hide my fear and depression. I debated whether I should make a stand, or try to pretend it was no big deal. I was wracked with indecision, so I said nothing to Ellie. Then one night, before dinner, it came to a head.

"Ted, you have been very quiet lately," observed Ellie. "Are you feeling okay? Is there anything wrong at work? Is there something you want to tell me?"

She was like that. I never could hide much of anything from Ellie. She seemed to know me better than I knew myself.

"I am just a little depressed about the upcoming fundraiser you will be working on," I answered. "You get so busy that I hardly see you for weeks. It would be nice if someone else did it this time. You have done way more than your share for the auxiliary."

"I always thought you were proud of my work for the hospital," replied Ellie. "Do you want me to resign, Ted? If you say the word, I will quit tomorrow."

"It's not that I want you to quit," I faltered. "It's just that you do so much and the girls and I don't see much of you for a month or more. Couldn't you let someone else chair this event?"

"Is it this event that worries you, Ted?" asked Ellie. "Or does it have something to do with Dan Wilkins working with me on this event?"

"I'm just trying to tell you that I like to have you home with me. I know he's an important lawyer and a big success. He was the star jock and the big Romeo, and probably still is," I continued. "He's single and good with the ladies from what I hear. I would like it better if you weren't around him."

I said the very thing I had promised myself I wouldn't say! I admitted I was worried about that damn guy.

"Ted! You are afraid I will take up with Dan, aren't you?" gasped Ellie. "That was a long time ago, Ted! I am your wife now. We have two daughters together. I am not going to switch horses in midstream."

Somehow, that didn't allay my fears! Ellie seemed to be saying she was stuck with me and would make the best of the hand she was dealt. I felt like I was the goddamn joker in the deck and she had drawn me. The next step was the discard pile.

I felt anger and fear as my face flushed and my hands clenched. I turned around and left the room before I said something even dumber, or started bawling like a baby. I was just beginning to realize how much the situation worried me. I decided to hop in my pickup and go for a ride. That always helped me relax and think things through. As I was climbing into the truck I heard Ellie calling to me, but I pretended I didn't. I drove down the road.

I was back in half an hour. I knew that if I didn't show for dinner, the girls would be worried. There was no reason for my insecurities to affect them.

Dinner was a little strained, but the girls were chatting so much that they didn't seem to notice how quiet Ellie and I were. We cleaned up and watched TV for an hour. Then the girls went to their rooms to do their homework.

"Ted, would you tell me what you want me to do about this fundraiser?" Ellie quietly asked as she slid closer to me. "I don't have any problem working with Dan, but if it bothers you, I will drop out, or get him to resign or something."

"Sweetheart, I hate being such a jerk, but he worries me. He worries me a lot. I know you dated him for a couple years and you two were close. I know you are a wonderful wife and mother," I added. "The problem is that he is better looking, better off financially, cooler with the ladies, in fact, he has me beat hands down in everything. You are so beautiful, Ellie, that you can have any man you want. You'll want something better than a guy like me, and who can blame you?"

She just stared at me like I had grown a frog on my nose. I was uncomfortable telling her my fears and I was worried how she would react.

"Ted Rigby!" she admonished. "How can you even say something like that? I can't believe you could think that was true."

I didn't know how to respond, so I just kept quiet. My thoughts were all jumbled up and I didn't know what to think.

"You must be the dumbest, blindest man on the whole planet!" she continued. "There isn't a woman that knows you that wouldn't trade places with me in a heartbeat. You are handsome, strong, kind, hard working, and a devoted husband and father. The girls adore you, and quite honestly, so do I. I bet our finances surpass Dan's by double, and that is mostly because you are such a good carpenter and I am your business manager. You are too soft to be real good in the business end, but that is a good thing, Ted. You are kind and sensitive to people and their problems."

"I never dreamed you thought I could ever leave you for another man!" Ellie admitted. "To be honest, I am the one that should be worried. I hit the mother-lode when I got you."

I just pulled Ellie to me and hugged her till my eyes dried. She said all the things I needed to hear. I felt like the weight of the world had been lifted from my shoulders.

"I am so sorry for being such a jerk," I finally managed. "You do what you have to for the fundraiser. I will be fine with it."

We went to bed early and stayed up late that night! I felt like a teen again and I couldn't get enough of Ellie. I did everything a man could do to please a woman and a few things never before considered by civilized man. She slept in my arms and I felt great.

Have you ever noticed that the words you share at night and believe with your entire heart and soul begin to sound a little empty in the light of day? I had opened the door and could have gotten Ellie to remove herself from the damn fundraiser, but she got all romantic and dished out compliments until my head was turned. The nagging doubts were back the next day. You can't live with a feeling for 16 years and have it explained away in five minutes.

Over the next couple weeks, Ellie was gone to meetings quite often. The girls and I had gone through it before, but it had never been so painful to me. The idea of her with that slick Wilkins irritated me no end. I really tried to act normal, but I knew Ellie was picking up on my insecurities. Our conversations became slightly strained. She was working hard and was not getting enough rest. I hadn't had a good night's sleep in weeks. We were stressed to the max.

I wasn't sure if it was my imagination, but it seemed as though she spent more time on this fundraiser than any of the preceding ones. I caught her talking quietly on the phone a few times. To a man already paranoid, these were all bad signals. Our sex life disappeared. I just tried to hang on till Casino Night was in the rear view mirror.

The afternoon before the big fundraiser I had promised to pick up Ellie at the community center where she and her committee were decorating and doing last minute preparations. First, I was supposed to pick the girls up after track practice and swing by to get Ellie. She had gone with Helen that morning. They had to shop for a few last minute items for door prizes.

The girls called me to tell me that practice had been called off. It had been raining hard since the previous night. Because of the rain and the melting snow pack, flood warnings had been posted. With track practice canceled, I was over an hour early at the community center to pick up Ellie.

I told the girls to wait in the car while I went in to see if their mother was ready to leave, or if I should return later to pick her up. I entered the main reception room and ran into Helen.

"Can you tell me where Ellie is?" I asked. "I'm a little early and I want to tell her I can come back later if she wants."

"I haven't seen her lately, but she is probably in the office getting all the games and tickets ready, Ted," responded Helen. "Want me to look for her?"

I told Helen I would just go find her myself and she should continue with her decorating. I went to the office and tried the door gently. It was locked! That was enough to take my insecurities to the next level. Why would they lock anyone out?

I quickly surveyed the door. It was one of those cheap pre-hung doors. I refused to use them in the homes I built. I knew they were not made to withstand any sort of heavy impact. I backed up a few steps and smashed the door with my shoulder. The jamb gave easily and the door flew open.

I saw Dan Wilkins for the first time since he had returned to Westbury. He had Ellie bent over a desk and had his cock buried to the hilt in her pussy.

"Ted!" gasped Ellie.

I didn't wait for another word. I turned around stalked across the main room. I could barely see where I was going. My hands were shaking and my stomach hurt. All I could think of was getting as far away as fast as I could. I sensed that distance would somehow lessen the pain. Helen started to say something as I went by her, but the look on my face silenced her. She turned to look toward the office as I passed her.

When the girls asked if their mother was coming with us, I was barely able to croak a negative reply as I started the car and drove away in the rain. The weather was perfect for my mood. As we approached our street, I noticed the stream was boiling over the top of the small bridge that spanned it. Always a cautious man, even in the throes of depression unlike any I had ever known; I stopped the car to check the situation first hand. To my surprise, and horror, I realized the bridge was actually gone! I almost drove into the raging stream with my two girls. My knees started shaking as I realized how close I had come to extreme danger and possibly death.

I trudged back through the rain to the car and turned it around. I was torn between blocking the road so no one drove into the stream, and getting home with the girls. I had seen a police car by a flooded intersection a half-mile back and decided to report the situation to him. Then I would circle around to another road that didn't have to cross the stream. The cop could get someone to put up a barricade.

As I drove, I realized I was extremely hurt and disappointed, but not surprised by Ellie's betrayal. By expecting it for so many years, I may have created the very problem I feared. It always worked that way in the old "Outer Limits" and "Twilight Zone" shows. Now I was the guy wondering if it was all a dream, or perhaps a nightmare.

12