Eleanor Rigby

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

When I stopped on a side street to explain the situation to the policeman, I saw a red BMW shoot past and turn down my street! I knew I should have blocked the road! I gave the cop the short version of the situation and jumped back in the car.

"That looked like Mr. Wilkins' car," volunteered my older daughter, Jen. "I hope he doesn't try to cross that bridge!"

I had a smile cross my face for an instant. Let him ruin his goddamn fancy car, and get good and wet. Then I realized he would have Ellie with him. As much as her cheating had hurt me, I had no desire to see her in danger. I gunned the accelerator in an attempt to catch Wilkins. I was almost half a mile behind them when I saw the car plunge into the stream where the bridge had been a short time before. Jen shrieked as we saw the front of the car disappear and the tail end bob up and down.

As we approached the scene, I saw Wilkins climb on the roof of the car. The waters were swirling around it and getting higher every second. Water was pouring in the window as Eleanor began to claw her way out the very window Wilkins had just used. The girls and I were out of reach and watched helplessly as Wilkins looked at Eleanor climbing out the window, then he turned and jumped for the buttress that remained from the washed bridge. He caught the edge and pulled himself out of the water. Ellie was now on the roof of the car but it started floating downstream!

The girls and I watched in horror as she tumbled into the floodwaters and disappeared. I threw my coat off and jumped in after her. It was unbelievably cold. I felt numb by the time I resurfaced. Downstream was the only direction Ellie could have gone, so I started swimming as well as I could. It seemed forever, but it was probably only a minute or so when I spotted her bobbing on the current.

It took all my strength but I managed to catch up to her. She was having a bad time of it. I wasn't sure if she was conscious until I felt her grab my arm. We were swept downstream like a couple of twigs. Then I saw some men standing on the next bridge! They were gesturing to me and one was lying under the rail, over the side of the bridge. He was reaching down, holding his hands as close to the water as he could.

I was able to touch ground every few seconds and I pushed Ellie in the guy's direction. It wasn't easy but I lined our path up with the Samaritan on the bridge. The thing was, he would never be able to reach us. I timed our speed and hoisted Ellie up as we approached the bridge. I was weakening fast as the incredibly cold water sapped my strength. I feared I would not get Ellie high enough for him to catch her.

As we passed under him, I felt Ellie suddenly lifted from my aching arms! He had her! Then I went under the water. I fought back to the surface, but it became increasingly difficult to keep my head above the water. My strength was quickly failing me. I felt a tree limb slap my face and I grabbed it. I clung to it for a few seconds and then felt something smash into my left arm and side, then carry me away.

It was some kind of pole, or tree. I couldn't tell. Then it caught on something with the end that was away from me and started to pivot. It forced me into shallower water as it swung around. The water was waist high but the log was still pushing me. I dropped down as far as I could and felt something wooden and solid. It must have been the remains of a footbridge or something. I grabbed it and held on. The floating object slid across my back, scouring it as it passed.

I realized I was only able to cling with my right hand. My left would not respond. I tried to pull myself from the water, but my legs were leaden. I was about to give up when I heard Jen! She was above me, wading as far into the water as she dared.


I felt her grab my shirt collar and start pulling. Even in my diminished mental state, I worried that if I went back into the current Jen would not let go and be dragged with me. That fear made me crawl and squirm with every bit of strength and determination I could muster. Together, we managed to get out of the water.

I heard Jen talking on her cell phone as I tried to sit up. That was when I saw my left arm bent at a bizarre angle under me. I wondered how I would be able to work with it like that. That was the last thought I remember before hearing voices from far away. That happened a few times before I actually opened my eyes and looked around.

It was obvious that I was in a hospital and my arm was heavily wrapped. I saw Jen, Audrey, and Ellie all sitting around my bed. Jen noticed that my eyes were open and whooped loudly.

"Dad! How are you feeling? That was the bravest, coolest thing I ever saw!" she exclaimed. "You saved Mom's life. That coward, Wilkins, left her and jumped to shore to save himself. You jumped right into the flood and then lifted Mom up to the guy on the bridge."

As Jen spoke, the memories came rushing back. I looked at my left arm. I still couldn't feel it, but I could see my hand. I wiggled my fingers and felt relief wash over me.

"Your arm was broken pretty bad, but it is going to heal okay, Dad. It looked awful when I helped you out of the water. I bet you're glad I ran cross country and track, aren't you?" quizzed Jen. "I chased you over a mile, trying to catch you. I wasn't going to give up even if I had to run all the way to the river!"

My throat was sore and I couldn't speak. I found out later that I had been under the knife for two hours and was feeling the effects of the drugs I was given.

Ellie just listened as Jen recounted the events. She never said a word. It wasn't long and I was asleep again. It took four days before I was allowed to leave. I had plenty of time to think as I lay in the hospital.

The girls made a big fuss over me when I finally got home. My parents and Ellie's folks were there to greet me. It was all very touching.

"Son, you saved our daughter's life, at the risk of your own. I honestly expect no less from my daughter's husband, but it sure is good to see that you are the man I hoped you would be," Ellie's father announced in front of everyone. "If she had to depend on that damn Wilkins, she'd just be a fond memory right now."

I blushed at the rare praise from my father-in-law. His sincerity could not be doubted. We had a dinner to celebrate my homecoming. Finally everyone left. The girls hugged me and went off to bed.

I made my way to the bedroom and climbed between the sheets. Ellie was watching my every move, saying nothing. I was exhausted and fell to sleep immediately. I woke during the night to the sounds of Ellie's sobs. Then I drifted back to sleep.

I was sitting at the table when the girls left for school. I was making mental notes of things I had to do. First, I had to meet with my crew to find out how far behind schedule we were. I would probably have to hire another man to take my place for a couple months, or so. Ellie's voice broke my concentration.

"Ted, I am so sorry about everything! You saved my life, even after everything I did to you. When I was being tossed around in the floodwaters, I actually wanted to die, but I knew you would come after me. It wasn't a hope that I had. It was a certainty. Dan was just a stupid mistake. He isn't good enough to carry your shoes."

"I have made a serious mistake, but I am determined to make it up to you, Ted, if it takes the rest of my life. I will do anything you ask, Ted," promised Ellie. "Just tell me what you want."

"Ellie, I had a lot of time to think. You were swept into the flooded stream by accident. I could not stand by and see you hurt, or killed, because of a freak accident."

"If you had been standing next to me and told me that you wanted to jump into the raging waters, I would have done all I could to prevent you from doing that. If, after all my efforts, you still jumped, I would feel badly as I watched you being swept away," I admitted. "I would not, however, jump in after you."

Ellie was holding her breath as she listened. I plunged on.

"Ultimately, we are each responsible for our actions. You knowingly, willingly, even eagerly, jumped into Dan Wilkins' arms and bed. It was no accident. I tried to convince you not to take up with him, but you did anyway."

"Ted! I was wrong! I know that now. He means nothing to me. Please believe me when I tell you that I love only you!" pleaded Ellie. "I haven't seen him since that day. I will do anything to make this up to you!"

"That is good to hear, Ellie," I replied as I reached into my briefcase. "I have come to realize that you are not too good for me. In fact, it is quite the opposite. Just sign these divorce papers for me and I won't ask you for another thing."

12