Elfin Descent Afterward

Story Info
Thoughts and lessons learned from Elfin Descent.
1.1k words
4.95
10.2k
6

Part 47 of the 71 part series

Updated 01/20/2023
Created 01/31/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Well, it took a whole year, but another story in the Orc Dominion series is complete. Elfin Descent is the longest story I have written to date, at well over 100,000 words. This led to some complaints about the plot being drawn out, which I will address later. Overall, I'm mostly happy with the story, and though it hasn't been as well received as my earlier work, it is still generally well rated on Literotica.

My main goal with this story was to work on characterization, which I felt was lacking in previous stories. In this, I think I had both successes and failures. I think I did improve the characterization of Lyriena and made her into a character people were rooting for, even if I made her a little too passive. Unfortunately, building her up so that readers were on her side when the plot demanded she be torn down turned out to be counter-productive.

The flip side of that was Trogar, who is definitely one of my more unpopular characters. My idea was to start him out as flawed, give him an arc where he grows into himself, and end the story as a better person. Unfortunately, several things went wrong. Conceptually, having two protagonists who are diametrically opposed to each other is problematic, especially when they don't put aside their differences and come together by the end of the story.

More directly, I made Trogar far too weak in the beginning of the story which set a bad tone for the character. Then, I didn't have his character start turning until Ch 8, by which point the story was halfway over. Then I had a series of Lyriena centric chapters, which meant I didn't have the time to really show any significant character improvement. All in all, it was very poorly executed.

Triumph is going to have two characters also opposed, but I am going to do things a little different. The orc is going to be a much stronger character from the beginning, but more importantly, the whole context of the plot is going to be different.

I knew from the beginning that having the main plot about a trade dispute ran the risk of being boring. No one wants to read a whole book about negotiations. That's why I threw in the Henry, Brahm and Sylvia subplots. Unfortunately, those, or at least, the Sylvia one, became more interesting than the main story. When I rewrite Elfin Descent, I am going to change things up a bit I think. Lyriena will recruit Sylvia instead of the other way around, and she will meet Henry much earlier. Instead of running away together, they will engage in some cloak and dagger style clandestine activities in the city.

Trogar, meanwhile, will seduce Elenorei and use her for intelligence while employing Soleil and Florette in a much more subtle manner. I might also give him a more active role in hunting down Henry's men in the city in order to liven things up a bit.

Another change I did with Elfin Descent was to change the nature of the story. Zentara and Rebellion featured slutty characters being slutty. I wanted Elfin Descent to be different, and for Lyriena to not just be Jeanette with pointy ears. This led to Elfin Descent being much more non-consensual. I think this immediately turned off some of my readers. Looking at how chapters are rated, my readers want to see the sexual adventures of slutty princesses. They don't, as much, want to see somewhat unwilling princesses being abused. That lesson is well learned, and something that will be taken into account in Triumph.

One of the things I wanted to do with this story was integrate the sex and the plot. I was somewhat successful in this, but as with Zentara, I got tunnel vision. I had a bunch of sex scenes I wanted to include, and this resulted in the plot getting dragged out. I don't think that the length of the story, word wise, is a problem, but rather the weak plot didn't justify so long a story. Triumph will be a similar length, though it will be spread out on a much larger battlefield with more characters, which will hopefully keep things more interesting.

When writing this story, for most of it I was two chapters ahead of what I was posting. This worked really well for me, as it help relieve pressure to write and it allowed more time for things to be edited and changes to be made based on how the future plot developed. It sort of fell by the way side by the end, but it is definitely something I am going to bring back for Triumph.

So where do I go from here? I am going to take the rest of the year off to work on my blog and a Twine game I started a while ago. Starting in January, I am going to write a short, four chapter story called Conquest. Conquest is going to be about Agmar invading the Catabrian Tribes, and will serve as a prelude to the final story in the series, Triumph.

Triumph is to be the culmination of the whole series. It is planned to have five POVs intertwined across all the Western Kingdoms. Right now, the POVs are Augras, the half-orc son of Trogar and Lyriena; Amelie, the Princess-Knight of Thest; Henry, who is leading a rebellion in Heste and captures the orc Princess Jasmara; and a Sandoran Princess who travels into the Angrian March to try and make an alliance with the free tribes of orcs; and an orc merchant in Ruar who opposes Jeanette's imperial ambitions for the Western Kingdoms.

The plot will revolve around the war between Thesta, Sandora, the Catabrian Tribes, and the Hesten Rebels versus Zentara, the Elfin Isles, and the Minotaur and Centaur mercenaries that Augras brings back with him from the lost continent.

Another thing that I am introducing to the series, besides Minotaurs and Centaurs, are the Mincentti and magic. Augras returns early in the book from the lost continent having learned the secrets of magic from the Mincenntti. However, it won't be fireballs and lightshows. Magic is much more ritualistic in my world, and has more of a macro effect on things than micro.

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback both positive and negative. If you have any ideas, suggestions, thoughts, or comments please leave them below or send them to me as feedback. If you do send them as feedback, be sure to include your email address if you want me to respond.

Also, I've received both fanart and fanstories about the world of Orc Dominion and I love them! If you have an idea for something you'd want to do I'd be happy to encourage you, work with you, publicize what you're doing, or offer any other support I can. I love talking about the world I've created!

Please rate this story
The author would appreciate your feedback.
  • COMMENTS
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
16 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago

Having read the first three books, the one consistent problem I've seen is actually developing the wrong characters. Maybe better to say that too much time is spent on the orc and not enough time on the psychological transformation going on in the poor lasses they corrupt. That's where the heat is.

The orcs are established as rather simple and brutish. Our antagonist in Elfin Descent is highlighted specifically because he's above average in orcish IQ, reading more than fighting. He's supposed to be abnormal because he's intelligent - but then he's still not smart enough to smoothly outwit his intended target and has to rely on humans to do some major legwork on his behalf.

That being the case, the "downfall" of the women must be based mostly in their own psyche. They succumb to their own lusts therefore the story benefits from illustrating that turmoil through the use of 'inner dialogue'.

Also, some of the suspension of disbelief is lost when a Princess is able to so easily escape her security and wander the back alleys so easily. Royal Guards are the best of the best and have only one task. They wouldn't be so easily left behind, especially when in hostile territory. In Zentarra, the idea worked somewhat because there were secret passages and an debaucherous ally in the handmaiden. In Descent, neither of those things existed and the princess was unfamiliar with the city.

Descent would have been leagues better if the non-consensual scenes were drawn out a bit more, and then equal time paid to the mental turmoil the princess was going through. Maybe have her confide in her handmaiden, getting her excited and interested in the debauchery. Maybe have the handmaiden corrupted unintentionally and then become an ally of the Orc because she's young, naive, and kinky. Or just have her convinced that the princess really does want the kink, so her handmaiden works to help her towards that goal.

Overall, the tales were entertaining. I never found a scene that really grabbed me as they all seemed to end very quickly, just as soon as you were getting into them. But, it was still a fun read. Will I read more? Hmm.....

xenoveistxenoveistalmost 7 years ago

This is kinda late, but just wanted to say I actually liked Elfin Descent a lot. It was a lot more adventurous with kinks (something I felt Rebellion lacked). Elfin Descent also had a more very dub-con feel, which I appreciated.

Trogar was only "weak" mainly because I feel the story was trying to set him up as a character (with an arc, etc) which actually diminishes his presence as a foil for Lyriena. Like some people felt he was too incompetent to succeed; for me he was just not sinister enough to make Lyriena's corruption feel dangerous. These are impressions that might have been lessened if Trogar was less developed.

Zentara worked because Turogg was always a fairly static character whose motivations were just ambiguous enough to make Jeanette's decisions a bit more thrilling. It allowed the story to focus on Jeanette and her reactions more naturally.

I guess the main suggestion would be less is more for the villains (like Agmar and what not). Ultimately it's the heroine who makes a corruption story. Everyone else is the mirror to her descent. And it's only in erotica where you can get away with more one-dimensional characters , lol.

But of course this is strictly from a smut perspective. I admit I'm pretty favored towards the female perspective and "bad ends" so that might skew things :p

Looking forward to the next parts of the series :)

OrcDominionOrcDominionalmost 7 years agoAuthor
The future

I have thought a lot about what the future will look like, and I think i've written about it on my blog. I definitely needed to come up with an explanation as to why elfs and humans haven't been bred out of existence.

The answer is the introduction of blood laws to prevent the dilution of orc blood. And breeding programs to foster magical talent. But the next series, if I write it, will be set 400 years in the future and will revolve around the rebellion against the orc kingdoms.

And yes, they will all have intense rivalries between each other.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 7 years ago
Future?

Children of Queen Jeanette, each sitting on a throne of his own. The population of their orc subjects continued to rise. The younger brother is jealous of his older brothers, and the eldest of them all hated his siblings because he himself looks different.

I think someone said in the first story that if Jeanette hadn't made a peaceful treaty with the orcs, then a bloody war between the orcs and Zentara would have broken out eventually.

What I see now is that each of the sovereigns who are hardly amicable with one another sitting on a constantly growing population of very aggressive people. Queen Jeanette is the only thing that holds her empire together; she aged beautifully, but she aged nonetheless. When she passed away, who shall inherit the queen's domain?

It reminded me of something. During World War One, you got a score of Queen Victoria's grandchildren sitting on several European thrones. Growing national patriotic pride, each nation believe themselves better than their peer. Their rulers' familial relationship did nothing to help avert the war.

Maybe I am just a pessimist, but I believed that wars are going to break out in the future, not between humans and orcs but between orcs and their brothers. Humans and elfs would be enslaved, becoming nothing more than commodities because orcs will inevitably outnumber them. They'll become spoils of war - cattle to be bred to fit their lords' tastes, and sex slaves to be used at their master's leisure.

All hail the queen

OrcDominionOrcDominionabout 7 years agoAuthor
Augras

You'll have to decide for yourself when I finally start publishing chapters!

Show More
Share this Story

story TAGS

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Similar Stories

Purely Sinful A detective in Chicago makes a deal with a sexy succubus.in Erotic Horror
The Homeless Helping a young woman undo bad decisions.in Erotic Couplings
Bimbo-fying Superchick Superchick is captured and trained to be a bimbo villain.in Mind Control
Celestial Wars Ch. 01 The first chapter of the direct sequel to Celestial Matters.in Mind Control
Celestial Matters A Half-Angel finds herself enslaved to a Demon.in Mind Control
More Stories