Elizabeth's Grand Escape

Story Info
An 18th Century lady's escape from an arranged marriage.
5k words
4.24
24.5k
8

Part 1 of the 2 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 12/04/2004
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

This is a work of fiction, any similarities to persons living or dead is completely coincidental. I hope that you don't think this story is too long and drawn out, I like stories that take you some place in the end, and getting there is half the fun. This is far removed from what I have done so far, I hope not too far, but I love this romantic era. Enjoy!

Elizabeth Buckingham could not imagine her life coming to this, as she set sail to a land she knew nothing about. But this was her only choice or else spend the rest of her life with a man that she could never love and be a prisoner in her own home.

At 24 Elizabeth was the only daughter of Charles Buckingham, she was a beautiful figure of a woman with her long dark hair, and deep green eyes and he was determined to see her married before he died. Every suitor that had come to call on her she would turn him down after he proposed marriage. Her father had now taken steps to ensure that she would marry or else forfeit her inheritance upon his death.

Elizabeth could not abide her fathers choice in husband for her, Lyle Kenworthy was a despicable man, she had met him when he had come to the house to meet with her father. Her father had asked him to stay for tea, and he was more than happy to. Happy to sit across from her and leer at her, he made her feel completely uncomfortable. His dark hair and dark eyes made him look all the more sinister.

That evening her father had told her that he had made an agreement with Mr. Kenworthy for her hand in marriage, that he would become the chief purchasing agent for her fathers shipping company upon her marriage to him.

"You have no right to give consent for me to marry anyone," she said angrily as she paced back and forth in front of the fire place.

"I have every right, if I leave it up to you, you will never marry and my business will be sold and its profits given away. I will not have it I tell you, I will not," as he pounded his desk.

"You can not mean for me to wed so unhappily father, I do not wish to marry Lyle Kenworthy, nor do I wish to marry any man. I just simply cannot," she shot back at her father as she sat in the high back chair.

"Elizabeth, be reasonable. You cannot possibly go on as you are without the care and protection of a husband. I will not be around much longer I fear, and I am determined to see you married before I die. If it has to be to Lyle Kenworthy then so be it. But you will marry him."

"I will not marry him father and you cannot make me, I don't love him."

"It's not a matter of love anymore my dear, for years I let you pick and choose your suitors, but to no avail. You turned down each one when he became too serious and proposed marriage. You are 24 my dear and most young women at your age have been married for years and have several children running about."

"Most women my age are innocent women who think that falling in love and being the happy wife, serving as hostess at endless parties is all there is to life. But not for me father, I don't want to be some kind of lady wife who only thinks of her husband first. I have my own mind and I want to be able to use it."

"What is it that you think you would use it for?"

"I would use it to run the company, father. I know I could do it, I watched you for years, I have always loved going to the office with you when I was younger, I loved being around the ships, wondering where they were going and what exciting things lay in their future as they sailed from the harbor. So you see father, when you die I will be able to run it. It won't be sold it will carry on as it has for all these years."

"No, I won't have it. You're a woman and women do not run companies, they marry and raise children. That is what you will do as well. It has already been settled. You will marry Mr. Kenworthy, and if you do not, you will be sent to the convent, the company sold and the money given to distant relatives and you'll never see a cent of it."

Her father stomped across the floor grabbed her by the arms, looking her deep in the eyes. He loved his daughter, he truly did but he would not have all that he worked for go to complete strangers purely because she refused to marry. She would marry and live well, he made sure of that in the contract that he signed with Kenworthy. She would never want for anything, and he would rest knowing that fact.

Elizabeth stared at her father in fear as he held her arms, she could not believe this was the same man that laughed with her when she was young when she pretended to be a sailor on one of the ships. Laughed when she said she wanted to become a sailor and sail the seas in search of new and exciting places to visit. She softened a bit when she saw in his eyes the tears that he would not allow to flow. He released her then and she hugged her father.

Elizabeth returned to her bed chamber, and laid upon the bed sobbing, she would have to marry that vile man, or go to a convent and become a nun. That was something she just could not do. She could not see herself, locked away with no freedom, a prisoner.

Etta her ladies maid knocked silently at the chamber door, "Miss, your father wishes you to join him for dinner."

"Etta please inform my father that I am feeling a bit under the weather and I wish to stay within my chamber for the evening but I thank him for asking after me."

"Yes mi-lady," she curtsied and left the room.

Elizabeth walked to the large windows drew the drapes, darkening the room. She turned down the lamp so only the glow from the fireplace filled the room. Sitting down in the lounger beside the fire, she thought of her situation. How could she get out of this? She had no good answers, all the things that came to mind led to losing everything including her freedom, she couldn't do that. The next morning Elizabeth walked into the dining room, her father was already there drinking his morning coffee before heading to the office.

"Good morning my dear, did you sleep well?"

"Good morning father, yes thank you."

"I have Mrs. Williams coming this morning to help you with the wedding plans; the wedding will be in one month. Mr. Kenworthy will be calling for you this afternoon at 3, please be ready. You will be going to see the vicar and making the arrangement for the ceremony."

"But father a month is hardly enough time to plan a proper wedding."

"It can be done and it will be done, you and Mr. Kenworthy will be married in one months time Elizabeth, and I'll not have any more complaints or arguments about it. Now, I must be heading to the office, I will be showing your husband the ropes of running such a large company," he walked to her gave her a peck on the forehead and left the room.

Elizabeth could hardly believe that this was happening to her, as Etta came in and placed her meal before her. "No thank you Etta, I don't believe I could eat anything just now."

"As you wish mi-lady, might I give you my warmest congratulations on your coming marriage to Mr. Kenworthy."

"You may not, I wish no congratulations on this farce of a wedding, it's not a happy anything, it's my fathers doing, not mine. I'll thank you to keep your happy words about this wedding to yourself is that clear Etta."

Her head hung low, "Yes Miss, I did not mean to cause you any discomfort. I will remember."

Grabbing Etta's hand, "I'm sorry Etta I did not mean to take my anger of this wedding business on you, your more than just a maid to me you're my friend. It's alright Etta, things will work out, I hope.

As the hour grew closer to 3 when Mr. Kenworthy was to arrive to call for her, Elizabeth's fear grew as well. She had never been with a man before and she feared being so near to this one. She was unsettled by his presence she did not understand why, yet.

Promptly at 3 Mr. Kenworthy arrived. Etta showed him to the parlor and rushed to Elizabeth's chamber.

"Mi-lady Mr. Kenworthy is in the parlor waiting for you."

"Thank you Etta, would you please fetch my long coat I fill it should be a chilly ride."

"Yes Miss, here you go."

Walking down the great staircase in the main hall, Elizabeth's heart raced wildly, wanting to turn around quickly and hide in her room. But she knew she couldn't do that. Walking with her head held high she walked into the parlor. She would make the best of this situation. She would make him suffer as she was suffering, he would never touch her in the ways that men touch women; she had made her mind up to that last evening as sleep would not come. He would never touch her.

"Hello Elizabeth Darling, you look positively beautiful this morning," as he took her hand and raised it to his lips.

"Mr. Kenworthy," she said as dipped in a slight curtsy.

"My dear, please call me Lyle. We are to be married you know, endearments are allowed."

"As it would seem Mr. Kenworthy, it may be that we will be married, but merry it shall not be. Do not assume that since my father's arrangements for this marriage includes endearments of any kind from me."

Lyle Kenworthy could not believe his good fortune to be marrying Elizabeth Buckingham, all the gentlemen about had tried to marry her but she refused them all. Now, she was to become his wife. Be that as it may, he was more delighted to get his hands on her fathers shipping company.

It was the largest in Cornwall, and Lyle was sure that meant lots of money. But he had no idea until he had met with her father this morning and he had gone over the books, and other pertinent information with him. The business was in good standing and making large profits, especially with the long voyages to the colonies.

Lyle was taken aback by her comments but he refused to let it darken his mood, his mood was light and gay, he could hardly wait for this marriage to begin, and he could get a closer look at her without these bothersome clothes.

"Shall we get this over with; I would like to return home for a rest before father returns."

"As you wish my dear, shall we go," he held his arm out to her, she reluctantly took it and they headed out to the waiting carriage.

She could feel his eyes on her the whole ride the vicars, she could not wait to be away from him. She could not fathom being married to this man for the rest of her life; she didn't know how she was going to do it.

As they arrived at the church, he held his hand out to help her from the carriage. Walking into the church she felt a chill run through her, perhaps a sense of foreboding as to what was to come.

As her wedding day approached Elizabeth's fears continued to plague her even in sleep, she knew now there was no way out of this. Her father refused speak anymore about stopping the wedding.

The night before the wedding she sat before the fire in her room, at once there was a quiet knock at the door. Etta her maid walked in carrying a tea try. Setting it beside her Etta poured Elizabeth a cup, and turned to take her leave.

"Etta, please wait. Stay and have a cup with me, and talk for a while."

"As you wish mi-lady, as she sat down in the chair near her, picking up a cup and pouring herself some tea.

"Etta, after the wedding tomorrow my life will never be the same again. All the dreams of freedom and adventure will be gone. Replaced with endless parties, and chatter with other married women in parlors, I fear I shall never be happy ever again."

"No, your right Miss, it won't be the same again. But perhaps new dreams will be made. Right I wish your grand mother was here to help you know what to do."

"If my mother were here she would not have allowed my father to do what he did, I would be allowed to make my own decisions in my own time. But your right, I wish she were here too. She loved my father so much, and when she died I think most of him died with her. Now I think he longs to settle matters so that he can join her. But it is I who suffers from his grief for her, me whom he puts in this situation."

"You'll be a married lady tomorrow, with new dreams with your husband, and perhaps children someday."

"No Etta, there will be no children, not if I have something to say about it. I shall never allow him to touch me in that manner. I have heard stories of what happens between men and women, and I will not be a part of it."

"Surely Miss, you know that it was just talk."

"I remember when I was a young girl talking with my friends after parties about what it would be like to be married and start a family. We all giggled and laughed to be talking about such things, but none of us knew for real what happens. But after one such party a friend of mine, Ellen who had been married for only months, sat down with me for tea one day. She looked different than she had before she married Thomas; she wasn't the same at all. I asked her about it and she told me. She said it was horrible, painful and disgusting. She said if she had known prior to the marriage she would not have ever married. She said she couldn't abide his sweating, moaning body hovering over hers, that when he touched her she felt ill." This so plagued Elizabeth that every time she was courted and things began to get serious that he should propose she would refuse to see him ever again. Thus keeping her virtue safe. "So you see Etta, I will not allow that to happen to me, I do not wish to change, and be someone other than who I am."

"I understand mi-lady, but it isn't always that way mi-lady. If you are truly in love with your man, he can make you happy in and out of your bed," she said with a giggle.

"Etta, what would you know of such things?"

"I am but a maid but I am a woman as well. There are ways for a man to please a woman and make her happy, to make her body tingle all over and long for his touches. If your love is so powerful, you will ache for his touches as much as he aches for yours."

"Etta, such talk," she laughed as moved to sit closer to Etta.

"Well I know that won't happen between Mr. Kenworthy and me, I don't love him and never will. That is why he will be sleeping in his chamber and I shall remain safely locked within mine."

"Are you sure that's wise Miss, his being a new husband he will not take kindly to being shut out of his wife's bed."

"He will have to learn to live with disappointments where that is concerned."

Etta left it at that, but she feared for her mistress she knew the anger of a man who didn't get what he wanted, when he wanted it. She sat with her mistress drinking tea for the rest of the evening.

The day of the wedding Elizabeth woke and hoped that it had all been a dream until she looked across the room and saw her wedding dress, her heart sunk and she knew it was real.

The wedding was a traditional English wedding lasting for hours; Elizabeth thought it would never end. At the reception dinner she sat solemnly at the side of her new husband, whilst everyone else in the room laughed and made merry she wished to be up locked safely away in her chamber, alone.

Finally the evening drew to a close the guests began leaving and her father insisted that she and her new husband take their leave and ascend to their chamber. Not wanting to make a scene in front of the few remaining guests, she took the hand that Mr. Kenworthy was offering, and walked to the top of the stairs.

When they were at the top of the stairs she made her move to go to her chamber, Mr. Kenworthy stopped her.

"Where do you think you are going my dear, our chamber is this way."

"I am not going to lie with you in your chamber, now or ever, I will be the happy doting wife in public, but in this house don't expect the same treatment when no one is about."

"I told you last evening Elizabeth that your idea of how this marriage was going to be, was not going to happen, I will not allow you to bring disgrace to me or your father. You will be my wife in all ways my dear, and you will bare me an heir, and your father a grandchild before his death. It is part of the contract that we signed before this marriage and it will happen and there is nothing you can or will do about it."

He roughly pulled Elizabeth by the arms toward his chamber, she resisted but he won out and she found herself locked in his chamber unable to avoid being alone with him.

"Elizabeth, ready yourself for bed."

"I'll not; I told you I shall not lie with you."

He walked angrily towards her grabbing her upper arms roughly, "Yes you will my dear, so either you ready yourself for bed or I shall do it for you, it is your choice?"

Fear surged through Elizabeth she had no idea what to do next to avoid what she was sure would happen next. He released her roughly and she landed on the floor with her skirts twisted around her.

He made a step towards her she raised her hand to him, "Alright, I will do it."

Rising she walked to the dressing room, Etta was there waiting to help her undress. "Oh Miss, I heard what happened are you alright?"

"Yes Etta I am fine, but I am so frightened what am I to do, I don't want to be with him. I fear there is nothing I can do to stop this."

"Mi-lady I fear for your safety, he has already nearly hit you what is to stop him from doing worse."

"I know Etta that is my greatest fear as well, but what can I do. If only I were able to get away from here somehow."

"This is true mi-lady, but if you were to leave I fear he would but follow you and that would make things worse."

"How much worse could it be than to be tied to that vile man for the rest of my life, to be used by him in what ever manner he so wished just because he is my husband. I should have never agreed to this hideous marriage. No Etta, that is the worst thing that could happen, getting away from him would be a blessing, but how?"

"If only we could stall him for a few days, perhaps we could come up with a way to get you safely away from him. I have it, tell him it's your monthly cycle time I am sure he would not want to carry on at a time like that, and that would give us a few days at the most to come up with something."

"Etta, you're wonderful I would have never thought of that. Do you think that it will work?"

"I believe so mi-lady, most men don't wish to have relations with a woman during that time. Leave the plans to me, I shall get in touch with one of my cousins and see what can be done to get you away from here. But for now, try not to anger him and keep well away from him."

Leaving the dressing room in her night clothes, she faced Mr. Kenworthy with her hands buried in her gown hoping for the best as she told him the story of being on her cycle, it was a blessing when he relented and allowed her the time she needed to make the necessary plans to be away from here and him.

Days later alone in her chamber Elizabeth stowed away a few precious items in a leather satchel in hopes that Etta was able to devise a plan to get her away from here. In it she placed some of her mother's jewelry, clothing, her silver hair brush and mirror, and some money that she had been saving. That afternoon when Etta came with her tea, she brought with her news that her cousin had found a way to get her away.

"Mi-lady it is a risky endeavor, my cousin has secured you passage on a ship bound for the America's."

"The America's," she said with fear and excitement in her voice.

"This is a hard voyage mi-lady if you don't wish to make this journey we will find some other way to get you away."

"Etta it will be hard, but I think it's what I have to do. When?"

"My cousin will be waiting outside the back gate at midnight tonight, from here he will take us to London and we will board the ship there."

"Us, you're coming with me?"

"Of course mi-lady I can't have you traveling alone, this way you'll have someone with you and it will be less frightening. Also, I will be able to join my family in the America's and you shall have friends and family there as well."

12