Ellie Ch. 01

Story Info
An adoptive brother and sister step over the lines of family
8.5k words
4.47
51.1k
80
6

Part 1 of the 3 part series

Updated 10/22/2022
Created 11/28/2013
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Elle sighed as she tucked the cover under her mother's chin. It seemed nowadays all her mother did was sleep. Ever since her father died last year her mother, Sarah had been heartbroken. Instead of working at her job as a wedding planner all she did was take the sleeping pills prescribed by her doctor.

"Elle...where's Gabriel?" Her mother asked sleepily.

Elle looked deep into her mother's green eyes and saw the pain there. "I'm not sure mom. But I know he'll come home when he's hungry."

Sarah smiled at Elle "I love when you call me mom."

"Well even though we aren't related by blood in my mind you ARE my mother," Elle said warmly.

Sarah in truth was Elle's god mother. When Elle was six both of her parents died in a car crash, having no other family suitable to gain custody of her, Sarah and her husband Gideon had adopted her right away. They took her into their family and raised her like their own daughter. "Without you I would probably been put in the foster care system. I'm so grateful to you and too daddy...I mean Gideon."

At the mention of her husband name Sarah's eyes grew sad "Gideon...he's really gone isn't he?" As the tears began to well in her eyes she turned over in her bed "Elle suddenly I feel so tired. Can you hand me my medicine." Elle sighed once again as she reached onto the dresser and grabbed the bottle and handed it to her mother.

"Here you go mom. Just...relax and rest and I'll take care of dinner and Gabriel." She gave her mother a kiss on the forehead. Elle walked lightly out of the room and closed the oak wood door. She hated seeing her mother like that. She used to be so vibrant and full of life but ever since her father died of cancer last year everything had changed.

Elle reached up to rub her tired eyes and discovered her eyes were wet. She took a deep breath Elle didn't have time for tears right now. She was the rock of the family and they needed her. It was time to move onto her next problem Gabriel.

Gabriel was her older brother by three years and he was currently missing. Again. Like their mother Gabriel took their father's death hard. While their mother seemed to escape through sleeping pills Gabriel's escape was alcohol. At twenty one Gabe was a hard drinker, he had frequent black outs and would disappeared for days. This of course made their mother worry even more because after all he was her true son. Her older brother was one of the most important people in her life. They used to be inseparable. He was her best friend and she loved him. Elle remembered the first day Sarah and Gideon brought her home...

Hamptons New York Twelve Years Earlier

Elle looked out the window as the car pulled up to a big three story house. There was a huge yard with a swing set and a basketball hoop in the back. Children ran and laughed played in the pool as music played off sets of speakers. Banners strung up against trees read Happy Birthday Gabriel. Grown Ups sat around picnic tables with blue and white table cloths and some stood around a row of barbeque grills. The smell of food entered the car through the cracked windows and on a table in the middle of the yard was a blue and white birthday cake with a number 9 candle on the top cake layer. Presents of all colors and sizes surrounded the table. Uncle Gideon stopped the car and both he and Auntie Sarah turned to look at her in the back seat.

"Well Elle this is your new home. Do you like it?" Elle turned her big blue eyes on Auntie Sarah...well she guessed that now she should call Auntie Sarah mommy now. Elle missed her mommy and daddy but the people told her they both went to heaven but Elle didn't understand why they had left her behind.

"It's big." Elle answered in a small voice.

Her new mommy smiled at her "I know its big sweetie but I promise you'll like it. Once you meet your big bother I'm sure you will have fun." Elle thought Auntie Sarah was really pretty with her blonde hair and green eyes she looked nothing like her mommy who had dark red hair and blue eyes. But even though she was pretty Elle felt she was lying. There was no way she was going to like this big new house, or her new brother.

"Elle we are very happy to have you here we hope you grow to love us as much as we already love you." This man was her new daddy. But Elle liked her old daddy, she liked her old house and she liked her old life! Why did things have to change? Just as tears began to well in her eyes a dark haired boy wearing a birthday hat with a red tee shirt and blue jeans shorts ran up to the car.

"Mommy, mommy did you bring her?" he asked excitedly.

Auntie Sarah laughed "Yes Gabriel we brought her, but she's your new sister not a new toy so be nice to her."

"I will! I promise I will be the nicest big brother ever."

Gideon reached through the window and ruffled his son's hair. "Okay sport you better, you know as an older brother it's your job to protect your younger sister against bullies and other bad stuff."

Gabriel giggled as he pushed his dad's hand off "I know dad. I know."

"Well then you better show her around," Auntie Sarah told him.

Elle looked at the older boy. She didn't like him, so what if he had a nice smile and kind eyes she didn't trust him. Both Auntie Sarah and Uncle Gideon opened their doors and got out of the car. They both turned to look at Elle in the car. All three of them had expectant looks on their faces. Elle didn't want to open the door. Opening the door and getting out meant she was ready to let go of her mommy and daddy and she didn't want that.

Gabriel walked up to the car door "It's okay Ellie I'll help you out of the car." Elle shrank against the seat as he opened the door and looked at her.

He reached out and grabbed her wrist "Come on Ellie!" Elle cried out as he pulled her out the car. Her white sandals hit the ground with a clink and as she looked around Elle saw everyone was looking at her.

"Wow mommy! She has red hair." Gabriel screamed and as both of her new parents laughed Elle felt herself blush.

Still chuckling Gideon smiled at Elle "Yes she looks just like her mommy. Remember Auntie Isabelle had red hair too."

Sarah smiled sadly at the mention of her best friends name "Yeah and Elle has her same blue eyes too."

"So Elle do you want to go get some cake?" Gideon asked her.

Elle was fed up with everything, she didn't like her new family and she wanted to go back home to Texas not live in cold New York in that really big house. "No!"

All three people looked at Elle in surprise "I- I want my mommy and daddy! I want to go back to Texas and play with my toys! I hate New York!" as Elle broke into tears she finally lost it "And I hate you!" she turned and ran ignoring the shouts behind her. Elle ran down the drive way and down the street. Elle didn't stop running even when her legs hurt and it was hard to breathe. She was going to run all the way to Texas, to her mommy. When she finally stopped she was at a park with a huge jungle gym and slide. Mommies and Daddy's played with their kids Elle ran to the slide and saw a space between the slide and a wall. She climbed in between and pulled her knees into her chest and cried. Elle imagined her mommy was there stroking her head like she used to when Elle was sick.

Elle didn't know how long she sat there but after a while it began to get dark. She was getting scared she didn't eat before she ran away and she was hungry. When it was pitch black she heard someone calling her name and she watched as people with flashlights walked around the neighborhood.

"Elle! Sweetie where are you!?" Auntie Sarah sounded like she was crying and Elle couldn't understand why.

"Elle please answer us. I promise we can talk just let us know you're all right," Uncle Gideon sounded worried too.

But Elle was still too afraid to answer them. She didn't know what to do. Suddenly a small light landed on her and Elle looked petrified, at Gabriel.

"Found you Ellie." Gabriel looked at her with triumph.

"G-go away!!" Elle stuttered at the older boy.

Gabriel looked at her curiously "Why did you run away?" he looked truly perplexed. "Do you not like cake?"

Elle sniffled "I like cake... I don't like YOU."

Gabriel sat down next to Elle "Ellie are you crying? Don't cry, as your big brother it's my job to take care of you." He reached into the little alcove and pulled her out despite her struggles.

"Let me go! Shut up and my name is Elle not Ellie!"

"Okay, but you're my new little sister and you're cute so, cute little sister's should get cute nicknames. Well that's what my daddy says."

Elle thought of her own daddy and how much she missed him. She began to cry again "I-I miss my daddy!!"

Gabriel pulled Elle into a hug "It's okay Ellie. Don't cry big brother is here." Elle hugged him back as she cried. He made her feel safe when he hugged her. Almost like when her daddy used to hug her.

"I miss how my mommy used to play piano with me. And how daddy used to play tea party with me and my dolls." She sobbed into Gabriel's shoulder.

"That's okay. I promise I'll play tea party with you and your dolls. Plus we have a huge white piano in the front room. I'm sure mommy will let you play it." Gabriel felt really bad. He didn't want Ellie to cry. He wanted her to play with him. Gabriel had always wanted a little sister and now he had one.

Elle pulled away and looked into Gabriel's green eyes "P-promise you'll p-p-play dolls with me.?"

He smiled at her "Whenever you want. I promise." Gabriel stood up and pulled Elle to her to feet. "And next time you're feeling sad I promise to make you feel better."

Elle looked at Gabriel "How?"

Gabriel smiled mischievously "By tickling you!!" Elle burst into loud laughter as Gabriel tickled her mercilessly.

"No stop!!" Elle cried as she laughed and squealed in delight.

Once they had regained their breath Gabriel asked her "Are you ready to go home now?"

Elle nodded "I guess so." When Gabriel held out his hand Elle put her hand in his. She smiled as they walked away; maybe having a big brother wouldn't be so bad after all. Sarah and Gideon watched in shock as their nine year old walked up to them hand and hand with Elle.

"Hi mommy and daddy. I found Ellie she was hiding in the park. She was sad because she missed her own mommy and daddy, and she wanted to play piano, and have a tea party with her dolls but I promised to play tea party with her whenever she wanted, and now she's happy and not crying" Gabriel said in one big breath.

After she absorbed the big paragraph her son had just rushed through she smiled at hem both "Well that's good. Everyone was very worried about Elle."

Gideon walked to Elle crouched down to enveloped her in a hug "I know you miss your parents sweet one but I promise me and Sarah are going to try our best to be a good family to you. Do you think you can let us?"

Elle looked at Gideon and saw the kindness there and she knew he was telling the truth "I'll try." She said and then she hugged him back. For the first time since her parents death Elle felt like she was loved.

Gabriel had kept his word. Throughout the years when ever Elle felt sad, lost or lonely he was always there. Smiling and calling her Ellie. He was her over protective big brother. Even when she entered high school and boys started looking at her different he had kept any unsavory characters away from her. Gabriel introduced her to Alec, her boyfriend who was as shy as she was. After the death of their father Gabriel became distant and secretive. There was something dark inside him now. Elle wasn't sure she could help him anymore. The eyes that were always sparkling and kind when he looked at her were now angry and dark.

Elle walked to Gabriel's bedroom door and knocked "Gabe? Are you in here?" when no reply came Elle opened the door and stepped in. She closed the door and looked around the room. Elle smiled as she saw his Shinedown posters and his crisply made bed. Walking to his dresser she looked at pictures on display. There were pictures of her and him and of Gabriel and their father and some of him and his friends. She missed her big brother and her best friend.

Gideon's death was hard on her also but Elle couldn't let it show. She HAD to keep the family together. Elle sat on Gabriel's bed as she sighed. The room smelled like him. She knew as a temporary part of the family she had no right to try and fix them but this family had saved her when she thought she would be alone forever. Elle loved being a part of her family and she would help them get through this rough time. She would help them even if it killed her. Feeling incredibly tired Elle snuggled into Gabriel's pillows. She would rest her eyes and then she would wake get in her car and go find her brother.

Elle woke to the sound of a door opening. She bolted up in bed to see Gabriel walking into his room. Like always he was dressed in black. He wore a plain black cotton tee shirt with his black leather jacket. Black jeans were held up by a black studded belt and he had on his black short ankle length combat boots. His dark hair was slicked back and his green eyes shot daggers at her. Elle knew most girls thought her brother super attractive he had the build of a football player and at 180 pounds of muscle he stood at a 6'3. Gabe's lips that Elle was so used to seeing smiling were pinched into a frown.

"What the fuck are you doing in here Elle," His deep voice rustled with anger.

Elle's heart began to beat fast. He looked so dangerous and angry "I-I came to see if you were here and I feel asleep."

Gabriel closed his door and walked deeper into his room he noticed instantly someone had been messing with his pictures. "How many times have I told you not to fuck with my shit?"

"I was only trying to see if there was some clue as to where you were?"

He sneered at her "Aww little Ellie trying so hard to fix what's so fucked up." He began to take off his jacket. "What were you going to do if you found me? Go into the club with that annoying determination and dragged me back to this shit hole?"

Elle moved off the bed "Must you use such coarse language?"

Gabriel rolled his eyes "I'm sorry princess perfect I'll get on fixing my language right away."

She ignored his sarcasm "Mother has been worried sick. You've been missing for three days." Elle tried to ignore the shaking in her hands she didn't know why she was so afraid. This was Gabriel, her big brother he'd never hurt her, right?

Gabriel put his hand over his heart "What? Our mother stopped popping pills long enough to notice my absence? I'm touched."

"And how is her popping pills any different from you guzzling alcohol like a bum on the street?" Elle asked angrily.

Gabriel turned on her quickly "What did you say?"

Frightened Elle began to take steps backward towards the wall. He stalked her slowly. His green eyes were glowing with the glint of a predator. When her back hit the wall she let out a little yip. This Gabriel scared her. "Nothing I'm sorry Gabriel... I'll just leave." She turned and ran toward the door but as soon as she opened it his hand appeared above hers and slammed it shut. She was trapped inside a room with an angry predator. She felt his heat as he pushed his body flush against hers. Her breath began to saw in and out of her lungs and Elle felt weird between her legs. His breath was moist on her ear.

"Turn around." He said in her ear. Elle was shaking as she turned around. "Look me in the eye." Gabriel ordered her once again.

As she lifted her frightened eyes to his Elle didn't know what would happen, but she knew this man was not her brother. Her big brother would never scare her like this. Her brother was kind and fun loving. He always took care of her and he didn't look at her the way Gabriel was looking at her now. He didn't look at her like a man who was starved for a woman. A woman he was going to devour. The look in his eye was purely sexual and it scared Elle like crazy. He was her brother. Not by blood but definitely by upbringing. They both were in a spell and Gabriel looked dazed. When his hand cupped the nape of her neck she shivered

"Please Gabriel don't h-hurt me." Her words broke the spell first he looked at her in shock then in contempt.

Gabriel began to laugh. "You know what Elle? You are so fucking annoying. Always acting like the victim of a goddamned tragedy. Running around trying to be Miss Perfect well guess what you're not. Always so fucking innocent, God you make me sick!" he pushed away from her.

Speechless at his tirade all Elle could do was stand there dumbfounded. When had he come to despise her so? Why? Was she so horrible? Before she knew it a sound was filling the room confused she looked at Gabriel seeing the look of open disgust on his face Elle realized she was openly sobbing. Tears were streaming down her face as she absorbed the fact that she had truly lost her best friend.

"God, are you crying? Ugh stop that's pathetic." Gabriel sneered at her.

Elle felt as if her heart were breaking "There used to be a time when you would dry my tears. But I guess that time is gone." She tried desperately to stop the sobs "I'm not sure when you started hating me, but it hurts. I miss you Gabe, I miss you calling me Ellie and having tea parties with me. You were my big brother. The last thing I want is to cause you pain now that I know I'm only annoying you I-I promise not to bother you again!!" Elle yanked open the door and ran down the hallway. She heard him calling her name but she just ran. She ran down the stairs and out the door. Past her lawn and that of her neighbors Elle ran. She ignored people saying hello and ran until her lungs and legs burned.

Many people looked at her strangely she knew what she must look like, a short, red haired girl in a blue sweater dress with black leggings and knee high silver flat boots running like crazy. As she ran Elle saw the past with both Gabriel and her father playing tea party with her, Gabriel taking her trick or treating. Her mother taking her shopping for her first homecoming dance, this was the family she was losing and it hurt more than anything Elle had experienced in her life. She found herself at the same park she had run away to so many years before. It being February luckily no one was there. Elle walked to the swing set and dejectedly sat down. She swung slowly as thoughts ran rampant around her mind. She needed to figure out her next step it was apparent that Gabriel now hated her. A fact that would forever haunt her but Elle was eighteen she could legally move out now. The problem was where would she go? She knew if she asked Alec's parents they would be happy to take her in but she didn't want to impose on them.

Graduation was only four months away. Elle had been offered a full ride scholarship to both Carnegie Mellon and to Berkeley for piano performance and composition. Berkeley had a campus in L. A. it was on the other side of the country. It was completely away from her mother and her pills and from Gabriel and his hate. She would stay and graduate and then attend Berkeley L.A. in the fall. This summer she was supposed to visit her friend Lyric back in Texas. Maybe she could extend that trip to last most of summer. There by ensuring she saw as little of her family as possible. After trying so hard Elle was giving up maybe some things couldn't be fixed when broken. She heard the song" You are so Beautiful" by Escape the Fate being played. Elle picked up her phone "Hi Alec."

"Hey babe Watcha doing!?" came her boyfriend's voice.

Elle looked around the empty park "Nothing you?"

"Nothing just looking at something super freaking awesome, you have three guesses."

She laughed "I don't know a new car?"

"I wish but no."

"Ooh I know a magic carpet!?"